IGNORED

David and Priscilla updates

Deleted07

Jesus says that thinking about someone else's wife (or husband) is sinful, because it's wanting to commit adultery. Nowhere does He say that gay thoughts or 'impure thoughts' in general are.

No, it doesn't, but that's not what I meant. I meant that if you DO think that homosexuality is sinful, as Gothardites clearly do, then their dedication to bringing everything in line spiritually would certainly extend to sexual thoughts, whether they be gay or otherwise. I don't think they make the distinction that most people make that it's okay to think things as long as you don't act on them.

I certainly didn't mean a slur on either Jesus or gay people.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy christ.

I thought David was speaking at first. Crazy similar. And Priscilla sounds like she's so carefully pronouncing every syllable so as not to mess up. Or maybe because she's reading them and doesn't immediately know how the letters sound out loud. Even the journey to the heart leader or whoever it was. It's like their own dialect. I could even hear a bit of it in Jana, but it definitely wasn't as pronounced.

:shock:

I've noticed this, and I always assumed it was because they were waiting for encouragement to keep speaking. It's like they're trying to make sure they're giving the "right" answer -probably because they've been quickly corrected if they give the wrong answer. They HAVE to go slow, because they're remembering and piecing together lines - bits of phrases that they've heard in Bible study or from sermons. They're not really allowed to disagree, and they're probably discouraged from admitting that they don't understand... so they just parrot back what they're supposed to say.

I have a treasured report card from Catholic nursery school that says I "prayed with fervor." Bwwwwwwaaaaaahaaaaa!!

I have no memories that religious phase of mine.

David is indeed full of shit; no one has theological memories from age 3.

My sister was sent to the principals office in preschool because she refused to pray. I remember my Mom and I laughing our asses off over that one (sis is 10 years younger than I am). She is an athiest like her big sis now, so she considers that a point of pride ;)

When I was 3 I was convinced monsters lived in the closet and the basement, santa was real, and sesame street was a real place. I'm quite sure I had no fucking idea what HELL was, who or what "god" is, or what the fuck sin means. I was working really hard on sleeping through the night so I could have a cabbage patch kid.

Well that's where you went wrong, signing covenants with evil Cabbage Patch Kids instead of becoming aware of your sinful nature and turning your life to Christ/Gothard.

If you had resisted the doll and accepted your sin you too could be Gothards favourite assistant, with an avid FJ following and a record of pecan larceny.

My sister was sent to the principals office in preschool because she refused to pray. I remember my Mom and I laughing our asses off over that one (sis is 10 years younger than I am). She is an athiest like her big sis now, so she considers that a point of pride ;)

I'll share a good one - I got asked to leave Sunday School for asking too many questions. They were telling us about Daniel and the lions and I kept interrupting. I kept saying God should have put them to sleep because National Geographic says Lions make the first kill shot with a paw. They don't bite first, so why would God close their mouths? They're wild animals, wouldn't that make them angrier?

It was highly suggested that I was too young for Sunday School. At seven.

I'll share a good one - I got asked to leave Sunday School for asking too many questions. They were telling us about Daniel and the lions and I kept interrupting. I kept saying God should have put them to sleep because National Geographic says Lions make the first kill shot with a paw. They don't bite first, so why would God close their mouths? They're wild animals, wouldn't that make them angrier?

I was involved in a similar incident, only the lesson was Noah and the ark. I knew that some fish could only live in lakes and some only in the ocean, so how could they all be okay? Why didn't the dinosaurs get on the boat?

I can remember quite a bit from when I was 3. I think this is because my sister was born when I was 3 and a half so lots of big things happened.

My first memory of being able to comprehend religion as more than just singing songs, christmas & easter happened when I was about 7. I told my mum that it would be scary if Gabriel came to earth because he would take up the whole sky.

Snap! Only my sticking point was Noah. I remember my mother coming into the sunday school room and the teacher taking her aside to give her the news. I love you bring basic biology into it.

Was checking out the iblp website & saw a mention of Davilla & their trip to Australia. It's complete with a pic of David in a suit & tie which matches Priscilla's outfit. And link to their page.

iblp.org/news/conference-down-under

What the heck do they mean about "one the most wicked cities in Australia"?

Brisvegas?

I was involved in a similar incident, only the lesson was Noah and the ark. I knew that some fish could only live in lakes and some only in the ocean, so how could they all be okay? Why didn't the dinosaurs get on the boat?

Don't know about the fish, but the dinosaurs weren't in the boat because Noah forgot them. Seriously, I was helping my grandma keep the preschool nursery for night church when I was 13 or 14, and she'd gotten several dinosaur books to read with the kids from the library. One of the little boys asked her why dinosaurs were extinct. She hemmed and hawed for a few seconds, then told him they were dead because Noah forgot them. You can't make this stuff up. I know my grandma and I have different positions on Genesis since she believes in a literal six day creation and I lean more towards theistic evolution and Genesis being mostly metaphorical what with it being made up of stories told around campfires for 100s of years before being written down, but seriously an "I don't know" would have been a better answer.

My moment of truth came when the nun who taught us religion, told us the the Catholic Church was the only true on because they were the only church who had nuns and priests and monks so I asked her about the Buddist nuns and monks.

My moment of truth came when the nun who taught us religion, told us the the Catholic Church was the only true on because they were the only church who had nuns and priests and monks so I asked her about the Buddhist nuns and monks.

Understanding ones own sinful nature (or whatever crap Davy was spouting this time) means understanding there is a God who has set rules for humans to follow and that you personally have broken those rules and upset God.

A 3 year old is in the "pre-operational" stage of development. (This stage normally runs from around 2 year to 7 years.) At this stage of development children are self focused, can not see things from anothers point of view and can not usually empathise with others.

How can a child at this stage of development possibly understand sin? A 3 year old can certainly understand "You did a bad thing" because that only requires self awareness. How could they possibly understand God being displeased if they are unable to empathise? You need to be able to put yourself in God's place to understand why he is upset with your behaviour.

edited to add: Piagets Stages of Child Development http://ehlt.flinders.edu.au/education/D ... operations We spent a lot of time on this at uni before they let us into a classroom.

I got in trouble in Scripture class when we had to write an account of the Creation story in our own words and I wrote "God built the plants and the animals" instead of "God created the plants and the animals". I still remember our Scripture teacher going red in the face and yelling at me "God is A MAJESTIC CREATOR! Not someone you hire to BUILD YOU AN EXTRA GARAGE!" (I made the same mistake later on in class and got in trouble again).

I tried to explain that God would have obviously have gone through a process of construction like he did later with Adam and Eve, but to no avail. In fact I think that made him angrier and I got a punishment mark.

*shaking head* Scripture class was a bit mental.

I have a treasured report card from Catholic nursery school that says I "prayed with fervor." Bwwwwwwaaaaaahaaaaa!!

I have no memories that religious phase of mine.

David is indeed full of shit; no one has theological memories from age 3.

Holy shit! I "prayed with fervor" too apparently!

When I was 3, I understood and fully believed in the concept of Santa bringing me gifts to reward me for good behaviour. David knowing he was sinful at 3 is meaningless because 3 year olds will believe anything you tell them.

I got in trouble in Scripture class when we had to write an account of the Creation story in our own words and I wrote "God built the plants and the animals" instead of "God created the plants and the animals". I still remember our Scripture teacher going red in the face and yelling at me "God is A MAJESTIC CREATOR! Not someone you hire to BUILD YOU AN EXTRA GARAGE!" (I made the same mistake later on in class and got in trouble again).

I tried to explain that God would have obviously have gone through a process of construction like he did later with Adam and Eve, but to no avail. In fact I think that made him angrier and I got a punishment mark.

*shaking head* Scripture class was a bit mental.

Well gee... God gives people horses, wedding dresses... why cant he build a garage?

I got in trouble in sunday school for asking "If adam and eve were the first people, where did black people come from?" Ah, back in the days when I had no idea there were other races than black/white...

I was sent to the office for being "smart." I'm pretty sure they meant to write "smart ass" but... my mom still has the note. :dance:

My first raised eyebrow with Christianity's Jesus came first upon the bizarre reasoning of Noah's Ark (drowning all teh animals? What did kittens ever do?) and overhearing Sunday school teachers wondering how they would explain the crucifix of Jesus to 3-year-olds. They finally settled for 'he died for our bad actions'.

The only things I can remember are being totally baffled by the holy trinity ESP God being the father and son.

Also being very annoyed at 4 that I wasn't allowed to have sausages at a hotel breakfast because it was Good Friday. It seemed to be so stupid, I have never really followed lent and have eaten meat on GF for the past 7 years.

Also being very annoyed at 4 that I wasn't allowed to have sausages at a hotel breakfast because it was Good Friday. It seemed to be so stupid, I have never really followed lent and have eaten meat on GF for the past 7 years.

As my dad always says, "Fish is meat--it's the meat of a fish. Pretty sure it's only allowed because the apostles were fishermen."

I was taught that traditionally it was no meat at all. Some time in history the Italian fisherman were going broke and the Pope changed the rule to fish not being meat and so allowed on religious festival days. (The old calander includes more festival days and lent than regular eating days if you believe my fundy-in-laws who follow it.) This decision supposedly made Italian fisherman very rich and is proof of the Catholic Churches corruption.

Not sure whether I was taught this by my Presbyterian mother or Anglican grandmother and I've never checked out its accuracy.

As my dad always says, "Fish is meat--it's the meat of a fish. Pretty sure it's only allowed because the apostles were fishermen."

When I was in Catholic school the local parish priest liked to walk around the hallways smoking a cigar with his two Yorkies following him (In the 90s you could still get away with that!) and would randomly walk into classes to talk to us. He usually would get into the types of topics you'd least expect a priest to discuss with kids like the one time he went on about how the whole Friday fish thing was a conspiracy to help the fishing industry. He was one of the few things I liked about Catholic school :)

Don't know about the fish, but the dinosaurs weren't in the boat because Noah forgot them. Seriously, I was helping my grandma keep the preschool nursery for night church when I was 13 or 14, and she'd gotten several dinosaur books to read with the kids from the library. One of the little boys asked her why dinosaurs were extinct. She hemmed and hawed for a few seconds, then told him they were dead because Noah forgot them. You can't make this stuff up. I know my grandma and I have different positions on Genesis since she believes in a literal six day creation and I lean more towards theistic evolution and Genesis being mostly metaphorical what with it being made up of stories told around campfires for 100s of years before being written down, but seriously an "I don't know" would have been a better answer.

Dinosaurs-Noahs-Ark.jpg

Archived