IGNORED

David and Priscilla updates

Deleted07

recoveringgrace.org/2011/10/a-call-for-discernment

Click on the "pre birth training" tab

The second basis for Mr. Gothard’s teaching on prebirth training is the idea that “scripture is spiritually discerned.†While no text is given in support of this assertion, one might safely assume reference is being made to I Corinthians 2:14 which says: “But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.â€

What did the author intend to communicate in this passage? Clearly Paul was explaining that without the indwelling and illuminating presence of the Holy Spirit, no one can fully understand the revealed truth of scripture. In fact, spiritual truth is “foolishness†to such people.

Mr. Gothard, however, uses this passage to teach: “The Scriptures are understood by spiritual perception. Therefore, even though the intellectual ability of an unborn child is not developed, the spiritual perception of that child is developed. â€

In other words, it is not necessary for a child to comprehend words in order to understand the truth of Scripture. Rather, one can communicate spiritual truth “spirit to spirit,†(as is demonstrated by testimonials presented in the textbook).12 As such, communication with a pre-born child does not require the normal faculties of the five senses. It can be accomplished by means that are Extra Sensory.

Ah, of course! A baby can learn the bible the same way I learned math by sleeping on my textbook. I'm really glad that Prissy and David understand the thought behind why they're reading the bible to their "little son"...

Far from teaching the plain meaning of these texts, Mr. Gothard forces them to say something the original authors never intended them to mean by making them conform to a subjective combination of mystical thought and psychoanalysis rather then careful exegesis. By so doing he encourages believers to practice a religious discipline that the Scriptures do not condone.

Ah Gothardism... logic fail....

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hahaha, who commented with this?

"What a blessed blessing this post was.

A Shepherd should always show his sheep the true path. It then allows the Shepherd to share better sweat fellowship with his sheep which is a true blessing.

Blessings to you both

Stevie M"

Cracked me up!

I was going to post that too! You beat me to it. Someone is obviously having a little fun at Davids expense.

We had a visiting preacher from the US come to our church when I was a child. I was 6 and they showed us that horrendous movie about the rapture. I was fucking terrified and at the end of it the preacher said that if I wasn't saved I would go to hell. Six years old.

Totally off topic but is that the one with the helicopters circling overhead chasing people all the time, and then scenes of people getting their heads chopped off in the guillotine? That's the one they showed when I was like 10 and it scared the crap out of me.

I didnt know fundies were into plaster reliefs of baby-bellies. that was quite the fad a few years ago (at least with the moms i knew). That's going to take up alot of room if she keeps up the tradition....

Why oh why did we have to start talking about shepherds sharing "sweat" fellowship with their sheep? :puke-right:

Why oh why did we have to start talking about shepherds sharing "sweat" fellowship with their sheep? :puke-right:

There is a reason why the college I graduated from has an unofficial mascot of a green sheep. Lots of men and few women out in the middle of nowhere. The school is trying to remove that from its history. But most students still have some awareness of its existence's. The alumni will not let it be forgotten :twisted: .

I didnt know fundies were into plaster reliefs of baby-bellies. that was quite the fad a few years ago (at least with the moms i knew). That's going to take up alot of room if she keeps up the tradition....

Is that what that thing is? It's a plaster casting of her belly? It doesn't look like it to me.

It looks like a pregnancy tracker with representations of the size of the uterus and fetus at various weeks of pregnancy. I had an app like that on my iPhone when I was pregnant with Miss B. it would tell you how big your fetus was each week, usually in relation to a fruit or vegetable. (My personal favorite was jicama.) I guess the actual size version must be easier to comprehend, for obvious reasons, and it's reusable for the next blessing!

Anna had one of those eggy-looking things in her crib that showed how the baby looked. It's kinda like a big egg book.

I have tried and tried to disagree w/the comments here about Priscilla being mentally challenged, but I think this last video kinda convinced me. She ain't right. #godblessyougoodbye

I'm with FrancineFishPaw (awesome name, by the way! As a resident of the Baltimore suburbs, I salute you!)-- this video has also convinced me that Priscilla, Bless Her Heart, is mentally challenged. I wonder if David reads the Bible out loud to her because her reading level is really too low to handle reading out loud to him.

Indeed, I don't understand how she was capable of being an "intern" at HQ and leading those Journeys to the Heart. Maybe she just made coffee, sorted mail, etc.

What a terrible thing that all her life she has probably been denied all medical and educational screening/diagnosis/assistance for her mental challenges.

Not really different from her family withholding medical care for physical illnesses or disease.

What a great way to care for your "sheep," Gothardites.

I'm with FrancineFishPaw (awesome name, by the way! As a resident of the Baltimore suburbs, I salute you!)-- this video has also convinced me that Priscilla, Bless Her Heart, is mentally challenged. I wonder if David reads the Bible out loud to her because her reading level is really too low to handle reading out loud to him.

Indeed, I don't understand how she was capable of being an "intern" at HQ and leading those Journeys to the Heart. Maybe she just made coffee, sorted mail, etc.

What a terrible thing that all her life she has probably been denied all medical and educational screening/diagnosis/assistance for her mental challenges.

Not really different from her family withholding medical care for physical illnesses or disease.What a great way to care for your "sheep," Gothardites.

Re: the bolded: I always felt that she wasn't right, but wasn't sure if it was due to being mentally challenged or just a result of SOTDRT education / sheltered fundie upbringing. However, having recently learned that she was a premie when born, I am honestly leaning toward some disability or developmental delays that resulted from her premature birth and her parents failed to see it or didn't deal with it leaving up to God and all that. If that is the case, what a shame. And shame on her parents for not helping her.

What if we are watching Josie Duggar's future in this videos?

[and a little part of me feels a bit sorry for David Waller, if he really isn't into females AND knew he was being put in charge of a developmentally challenged wife. No wonder he was reluctant.]

I have also wondered if this will be Josie's future as well. Pretty sad that she's not getting any assistance that she may need. Major parenting fail in progress here.

I feel sorry for both of them. I do think Priscella appears, as one FJ'er put it, "touched," plus whatever independent thoughts she does have she self-edits making her appear even more vacuous. And if David is gay and has a couple of brain cells rolling around in there, then he must feel incredibly trapped.

They are a sad, cautionary tale of what that kind of upbringing can do to people: rushing kids into marriage when they barely know each other (or themselves, really); squelching natural feelings of possible same-sex attraction; teaching women that one must obsessively baby-make in order to feed God's flock. Ironcially, I'm sure the Gothardites think Priscella and David are a shining example of the "right way."

[and a little part of me feels a bit sorry for David Waller, if he really isn't into females AND knew he was being put in charge of a developmentally challenged wife. No wonder he was reluctant.]

We may very well be, unless someone gets her out of fundieland in time to get her some real help.

Don't feel sorry for David Waller. He's a sanctimonious little prick, and he wasn't 'put in charge' of anyone, he picked her, and he picked her, IMO, because she's not sentient enough to notice that he's literally scorching the upholstered surfaces in their home with his flaming-ness. Further, he's in the power position in a patriarchal society. Even if Priscilla somehow gets wise to the fact that all is not as it should be in their all too tastefully appointed town home, what's she gonna do about?

He didn't have to do anything. She, on the other hand, was wilting on the shelf because these people's idea of what constitutes an acceptable marital age is so narrow, and it wasn't like acceptable suitors were lining up outside casa Keller. So she got married, and from what I can tell, this means, to her, that now she lives in a different house and can stay up as late as she wants. She didn't know what the fuck was going on. Watching them in that wedding special was like watching a diminutive gay man try to wrangle a cat. She didn't appear to know where she was half of the time, she's just there, completely wall-eyed, mouth agape and slowly spinning, in a wedding dress. She had no choice in the matter, she didn't know there was a choice.

He's a predator, just like many of the fundie patriarch assholes we snark on. Most just really like the idea of controlling their wives and children, what makes David stand out is that he doesn't want to control her, per say, he just wants someone who won't notice that he's gay, and won't say anything if they do. I think he chose Priscilla with no small amount of planning, and that's really awful.

If I'm sorry at all for David Waller, my pity ended when he married Priscilla and my ire rose when he knocked her up. I'm sorry he grew up so indoctrinated, I'm sorry he's involved with a cult, I'm sorry he can't be who he is, but I'm not okay with the fact that he has now involved two children in this charade. He could have left, or stayed unmarried, or gone on an extended mission trip or something. He didn't have to permanently alter the lives of two other people.

Yes, David had the choice and he apparently went down the path of least resistance or most cover for him. At this point all I can do is hope that they don't have more than one more child. I don't think Priscilla is up to it. I picture her sitting in the house all day after about 9 AM staring at the walls. I'm sure she has all the cleaning done by 9 and maybe even has the evenings casserole in the fridge waiting to bake. Perhaps that explains her interest in long walks - at least she's not staring at walls.

With the start Josie got, and the neglect she continues to endure, she'll be lucky to function at the level which Prissy has atained.

I had a boat load of ultrasounds at the end of my pregnancy with my son. EVERY FRICKIN' time - he had his hand on his penis! We always got a chuckle out of it! :banana-dance:

I had a high risk preg and had oodles of ultrasounds and in one we saw my son cupping his balls. I guess it's just hardwired for men to do that, but I had no idea about masturbation. My mind is frackin blown.

I had a high risk preg and had oodles of ultrasounds and in one we saw my son cupping his balls. I guess it's just hardwired for men to do that, but I had no idea about masturbation. My mind is frackin blown.

Does this apply to baby girls too? Do they also have the hands between their legs? I have no experience in pregnancy, so I would really like to know that!

Does this apply to baby girls too? Do they also have the hands between their legs? I have no experience in pregnancy, so I would really like to know that!

Not unheard of I don't think!

Archived