IGNORED

Annoying Religious Bumper Stickers

muffynbear

Though, if I see cab drivers with more political stickers, like I've seen a few with Palestine, I avoid bringing it up. It's a debate I really don't feel I know enough about to comment on and also feels like one in which people aren't going to agree anytime soon. I didn't think my opinion of "I think both sides should stop fighting and keep talking and try to compromise" would be appreciated.

Yeah, the Palestine/Israel thing is one of the few debates I have no real strong feelings about. At this point, both sides have engaged in so much jackassery that neither one really has the moral high ground.

Though I do find it funny when people support Israel for the sole reason that they think God wants them to. It's like, "Really? So no matter what they do, anything at all, you'll still support them?" That kind of blind support would be funny if it weren’t so dangerous.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see lots of religious and political bumper stickers around here as well as all kinds of pro-military stickers (I'm near 2 different bases).

The only sticker on my car has a little picture of Albert Einstein next to the words, "299,792,458 m/second isn't just a good idea; it's the law."

My reply got eaten.

Of course I have a TON of bumper stickers,my bumper is full. Nothing offensive,but you can probably tell my political slant if you read them

ONE HUMAN FAMILY (Key West GLAAD,I got 10 of these so all my friends also have one on their vans)

MAKE LEVEES NOT WAR (I got this right after Hurricane Katrina)

Rainbow Frogs which are peeling off so I need to take them off

Fleur de lis (New Orleans colors)

Black Witch from Salem

B&J's(ice cream)

Lots of travel from the Alamo to Quebec

We've gotten many, many of those "honor student" stickers from our kids' schools...they go straight to the recycling bin. No bumper stickers currently; we had an Obama sticker on our minivan during the 08 election but took it off afterwards. Way back during the 1992 election, I had a "Picard/Riker" sticker on my car.

My reply got eaten.

Of course I have a TON of bumper stickers,my bumper is full. Nothing offensive,but you can probably tell my political slant if you read them

ONE HUMAN FAMILY (Key West GLAAD,I got 10 of these so all my friends also have one on their vans)

MAKE LEVEES NOT WAR (I got this right after Hurricane Katrina)

Rainbow Frogs which are peeling off so I need to take them off

Fleur de lis (New Orleans colors)

Black Witch from Salem

B&J's(ice cream)

Lots of travel from the Alamo to Quebec

Do you drive that car to your sister's house? :D

On our car, there's a Human Rights Commission sticker and a "Love" with a rainbow strip underneath it.

I think they're silly to have up since I come from a long line of anti bumper sticker folk, but she got the car before she got me so whatevs. :P

I used to live in a fairly right wing area of Northern California where there were numerous large decals of Calvin peeing on rival truck logo. In Central WA, I see a lot of those stickers with little people. You know, everyone needs to know that you have a husband, two children, a cat, and a golden retriever. The Hispanic community here is huge on giant full window decals with a photo of a deceased relative against a multicolored background with the dates of birth and death. No kidding.

I would ask which part of Northern CA it was, as it somewhat sounds like where I work. But now I do see the stick figures, and while there usually aren't photos, there are the nearly full window tributes to deceased relatives/friends.

I once had somebody tell me when I couldn't find a part for my 11 year old car that it was because "everybody voted for change." Um, lady, no- the car is 11 years old, just old enough for the manufacturer to stop making parts, and too soon for the aftermarket places to pick up the slack.

I often see a car when driving home from work that has both "Coexist" and "Ron Paul" bumper stickers. My car has none.

I know everyone loves to hate the honor roll bumper stickers, but if your kid's school sent one home to you, how could you possibly not use it? You put the bumper sticker on your car for the same reason you hang scribbled "art" on your fridge.

I had one for a while, even against my husband's dislike of stickers on the car. People can hate, but when your kid comes home proud because they made honor roll or student of the month and wants you to put the sticker on the minivan... you just have to. And you have to look thrilled and proud while doing so.

Do you drive that car to your sister's house? :D

SURE DO! If I have to stare at their Jesus Fish and Christian stuff, they can read mine. I saw my BIL reading them, no comment has ever been made. :whistle:

Though, if I see cab drivers with more political stickers, like I've seen a few with Palestine, I avoid bringing it up. It's a debate I really don't feel I know enough about to comment on and also feels like one in which people aren't going to agree anytime soon. I didn't think my opinion of "I think both sides should stop fighting and keep talking and try to compromise" would be appreciated.

People actually key and damage other people's cars over stickers?!

There are two debates I will not have online. I will have them offline but not on. Israel/Palestine and pro choice/antiabortion. You just get hate and anger. No one gets convinced.

Also, there are certain adherents (who are actively nasty) to both causes so you want to see their faces and go toe to toe if you have to.

Let's not forget the ever popular: My (insert breed here) is smarter than your honor roll student! :P

The guy across the street has this:

GOP OMG WTF

Love it!

A few years ago, I saw a Prius with a custom license plate that said "F OPEC". I'm not sure how they managed to get it past the censors at the DMV, but it made me laugh.

I have this one! Hubby won't let me put it on the car, though so it is on my cork board.

A few years ago, I lived in apartments that had assigned parking. One car had all kinds of 'Jesus loves you' type stickers. The cranky old man who had to park next to him put a 'Jesus loves you but everyone else thinks you are an asshole" sticker on his car. :lol: It is funny because dude was kinda prickish.

I have that one on my car, but others are from a local radio station and some from the Society for Creative Anachronism as I'm a member of that organization. One of these days, I hope to make it to Pennsic, but it's not going to be this year.

I have that one on my car, but others are from a local radio station and some from the Society for Creative Anachronism as I'm a member of that organization. One of these days, I hope to make it to Pennsic, but it's not going to be this year.

I live 45 minutes from Pennsic,if you ever make it :)

I used to have a Chipper Jones sticker, but we got a new car and I couldn't find another one. :cry: So no bumper stickers, but I do have a Braves license plate frame.

I see lots of religious and political bumper stickers around here as well as all kinds of pro-military stickers (I'm near 2 different bases).

The only sticker on my car has a little picture of Albert Einstein next to the words, "299,792,458 m/second isn't just a good idea; it's the law."

Hee! My husband teaches chemistry, so I want to get him a "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate" sticker, that or "All your base are neutralized by acid." He probably wouldn't put it on the car, though.

I saw a car with a couple anti-gay marriage bumper stickers and an "America's First Party" sticker. In the handicapped spot- just outside the door of the natural foods co-op. Pretty good thing that most of the liberals around here are pacifists.

I have the ultimate car to cover in bumper stickers -- a 1994 Subaru legacy wagon with a few rust spots and 270,000 miles. All I have is two Obama stickers, a rainbow and a life is good one with a guy in a lotus position. But it cries out to be covered. I'm a little afraid of the right wing around here though.

It drives me bonkers when I see someone with the "people cut-out" stickers on their cars and then under the little people it reads like "Kaylee, Dakota, Spencer, Mommy, Daddy, Rilee and Mr. Bark." Seriously, it's dangerous...

Hee! My husband teaches chemistry, so I want to get him a "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate" sticker, that or "All your base are neutralized by acid." He probably wouldn't put it on the car, though.

Maybe you should go with a t-shirt instead. He'll probably never wear it in public but he can wear it as pjs like I do.

It drives me bonkers when I see someone with the "people cut-out" stickers on their cars and then under the little people it reads like "Kaylee, Dakota, Spencer, Mommy, Daddy, Rilee and Mr. Bark." Seriously, it's dangerous...

What's wrong with the name Spencer? That's my youngest son's name, so I may be partial. ;) He was named after Spencer Penrose who for some reason really floated my boat when I was pg with #5. In his youth, SP was quite the hottie. :D I do understand the danger of having your children's names out there for anyone to see though.

Those family member stickers drive me bonkers, too. I honestly don't know why; the only thing I can think of is it comes across as annoyingly smug, like their family is so perfect they have to have stick figures on the minivan/SUV proclaiming it to the world.

I wish I could think of some annoying religious ones to add. In my area we get a good mix of conservative pro-religion type stuff and more liberal hippy-type stuff, and anything in between.

I've always been partial to the ones that say, "My child beat up your honor roll student" even though I KNOW that the day my kid comes home with one of those is the day I have to put it on the car. Otherwise I'm not really a bumper sticker person, although I have one from the professional association I am a member of that has a clever pun.

I have to say that the religious bumper sticker that annoys me most is the Calvin praying one. I get that it's a parody of the Calvin pissing one, which is also disrespectful to Bill Watterson, but come on.

You can always get this t-shirt, to annoy them:

calvin-peeing-on-calvin-praying.png

Just about all of the self-righteous bumper stickers that annoy me have been mentioned by others already.

However, I don't think these have come up:

picture of Jesus fish with "This fish won't fry -- will you?"

"My boss is a Jewish carpenter"

Somehow, the idea of someone seeing Jesus as their "boss" doesn't sit right with me.

"Do you follow Jesus this close?"

I hate it, for the self-righteousness, the I-think-I'm-clever attitude, and because I know the difference between an adjective and an adverb! :lol:

Thoughtful, I saw "my boss is a Jewish carpenter" in the parking lot at the grocery store once and at first I thought it said "Jewish conductor," and I was like, okay, this person must really like their boss or something. Then I was leaving the store and I realized it said "carpenter," but I still didn't get it. I thought whoever owned the car actually worked for a Jewish carpenter and I didn't understand why that was so important that they needed to paste it on their bumper. I was about halfway home before I finally had an "OH, I GET IT!" moment.

Thoughtful, I saw "my boss is a Jewish carpenter" in the parking lot at the grocery store once and at first I thought it said "Jewish conductor," and I was like, okay, this person must really like their boss or something. Then I was leaving the store and I realized it said "carpenter," but I still didn't get it. I thought whoever owned the car actually worked for a Jewish carpenter and I didn't understand why that was so important that they needed to paste it on their bumper. I was about halfway home before I finally had an "OH, I GET IT!" moment.

I love it when those things happen -- when my brain suddenly makes a connection from something that got halfway in and got stuck earlier. :lol:

Maybe you would have made the connection faster if the bumper sticker was in . . . Latin! :D

Archived