IGNORED

Annoying Religious Bumper Stickers

muffynbear

I used to have a "hang up and drive" sticker on, but my husband was afraid he would talk on the phone while driving and be a hypocrite to our car, so he took it down.

All I have now is "I <3 my Honda!" Her name is Wonda.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm too chicken to put anything controversial on my car. I got yelled at by a complete stranger for having a Canadian flag (I'm in Canada) flying in my car window. Turns out he was annoyed that I was driving an import car with my flag waving. If someone can get that worked up about a flag - I'm not risking my car for a bumper sticker.

My least favourite stickers right now? "If you don't stand behind our troops - feel free to stand in front of them" - I find this nasty, threatening and unneccessary. It's not the troops I have a problem with - it's whey they are sent where they are sent!

I don't have any stickers because they're a pain in the ass to get off, so it would have to be the perfect sticker that I knew I was never going to get tired of for me to put it on my car. That's why I don't like political ones. I giggle every time I see someone driving around with "Vote Al Gore 2000" or something on their car.

Funny story, though. My car used to belong to my parents and they had one of those static cling window stickers identifying themselves as alumni of the school they went to (which is 1000 miles away from where we live now). I never took it down because I don't think I ever even knew it was there until one day some lady behind me starts HONKING and following me until I pulled over (I thought maybe I had a flat tire of something) so she could ask me if I went to the school in question because she did and there aren't a lot of alumni around here and blah, blah, blah. I was like, okay, that sticker is going away now.

I have "Simplify" and in my window "Afghanistan Veteran". I'm wanting to add some Norse spoofs of Christian stickers but haven't found any yet.

It's not religious, but we just saw one of a big confederate flag with the words: "If this sign offends you you don't know history"

I spent a good ten minutes trying to puzzle that one out. Conclusion: wtf?

It's not religious, but we just saw one of a big confederate flag with the words: "If this sign offends you you don't know history"

I spent a good ten minutes trying to puzzle that one out. Conclusion: wtf?

Probably another person trying to say that the Confederate flag is only about the honorable fighting and brotherhood during the events of the 1850's, and ignoring the fact that so much of the offense is actually caused by the repurposing of that symbol during the events of the 1950's...

UmmSqueakster, I like yours :)

I admit if I had a car and we did much of that sort of thing over here I would be concerned it would get attacked if someone didn't like the message, because I have heard some tales from the US. A good friend of mine is a Democrat and she was forced off the road by some loon for her party bumper stickers as well as having bad things happen to her car.

I wear a lot of political badges and shirts and 99 percent of responses I get are great, people come up and discuss with you. But no one can discuss with a car, or even you while you're driving in a car. They can feel a sudden anger, then attack.

I have to say that the religious bumper sticker that annoys me most is the Calvin praying one. I get that it's a parody of the Calvin pissing one, which is also disrespectful to Bill Watterson, but come on. If you've ever read the comic, it has a much more complicated view of the world than Calvin lovin' Jesus.

We used to have a pro-choice sticker, but my husband would get men harrassing him when he drove on the highways outside our liberal town. Right now we have a science fish/rocket, a strip of bacon sticker, an old Obama sticker, and one that says "You are not what you own." I think my car would annoy ME if I was driving behind it, but bumper stickers are my husband's thing.

I don't have any stickers on my car, for much the reason O Latin said, it needs to be the perfect sticker - kind of why I have no tattoos :lol: But more and more, I'm thinking this one may just be it - "Liberal Christian, able to think and pray at the same time." I don't think that would cause anyone to key my car in the church parking lot...

As a submissive, God-fearing wife, I submit to my headship on this issue. :) He hates bumper stickers.

I used to live in a fairly right wing area of Northern California where there were numerous large decals of Calvin peeing on rival truck logo. In Central WA, I see a lot of those stickers with little people. You know, everyone needs to know that you have a husband, two children, a cat, and a golden retriever. The Hispanic community here is huge on giant full window decals with a photo of a deceased relative against a multicolored background with the dates of birth and death. No kidding.

I had neighbors who had a Prius with the Simplify sticker. They were proud hippies but they painted their house three times in two years to get the 'perfect' color. That always amused me. It was not the only thing they did like that, so I always felt like the Board of Simple Living should be able to come take it back or something. DISCLAIMER: I am NOT picking on the Simplify sticker. NOT. I saw that someone here has one and I am NOT applying this to you.

I like bumper stickers that make people think, but you are definitely begging to get your car keyed. My stepdad has 'Coexist', which caught him some flack from a right wing co-worker. He was like, what is the alternative? We should be killing each other instead? He also has 'just another disillusioned ex-hippie now working for the establishment' which suits him and my mother perfectly.

edit: riffle. Up till 3 AM finishing a writing job and accosted at 6 AM by munchkins demanding pancakes.

I like these :-) Every time I'm driving to my family home in eastern WI, I listen to WPR, 91.1 or an affiliate, depending on where I am at the moment.

My nephew has a t-shirt that says "Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup"

We don't have any bumper stickers. DH has a mustang, and it would just be wrong to put a bumper sticker on it. We joke and call ourselves an "island of blue" among all of our very, very red (and redneck!) neighbors. Our closest neighbors are very conservative Christian, despite the fact that the wife is the neighborhood MILF. She wears a sports bra and very short shorts to mow the lawn, likes to lay out in a bikini, etc. Sorry, I'm digressing a bit.

We do have a friend who is rather republican in his beliefs who likes to put republican signs in our yard. I've threatened to get democratic bumper stickers and put them on his car, but I thought that was going a bit far. I suppose I could tape them to the bumper so it would be easy to get off. I just wouldn't want to deface his vehicle with anything.

We see the stick family stickers constantly, along with the Jesus fish and Darwin fish. We'll occasionally see the rapture ones too. DH has a theory to stay far away from any vehicle that has religious bumper stickers because they are typically horrible drivers. At least in our experience.

Oh, and the truck nuts were popular a few years ago around here. *SHUDDERS*

On my car:

31x5qsJ65KL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

21szv7HVgrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

BS44399.jpg

911.jpg

One I've seen around town a few times that annoys me to no end: in big letters it says "ORGAN DONOR" but underneath in small letters it says "(Gave my heart to God!)" UGGGHH.

DH has a theory to stay far away from any vehicle that has religious bumper stickers because they are typically horrible drivers. At least in our experience.

Haha--in my state, you can opt for a special license plate that says "In God We Trust." I swear that every time I've been almost hit/run off the road on my bike, it's a car with one of those plates!! And other cyclists in my area agree :)

I don't have any stickers on my car, for much the reason O Latin said, it needs to be the perfect sticker - kind of why I have no tattoos :lol: But more and more, I'm thinking this one may just be it - "Liberal Christian, able to think and pray at the same time." I don't think that would cause anyone to key my car in the church parking lot...

I love it!

I like these :-) Every time I'm driving to my family home in eastern WI, I listen to WPR, 91.1 or an affiliate, depending on where I am at the moment.

Although I am a proud Wisconsinite (in exile in Minnesota) I will be the first to admit that minnesota public radio is pure awesomeness above and beyond WPR.

UmmSqueakster, I like yours :)

I admit if I had a car and we did much of that sort of thing over here I would be concerned it would get attacked if someone didn't like the message, because I have heard some tales from the US. A good friend of mine is a Democrat and she was forced off the road by some loon for her party bumper stickers as well as having bad things happen to her car.

This is why AbuS (husband) doesn't want an Egyptian flag on our car - he's afraid of anti muslim bias :/

I forgot, I do have a bumper sticker I've been meaning to put up. I got it from an animal rescue support website and it says "All my children have paws" with little paw prints on it.

My Mom has one sticker for my university and one for my sister's, and another one that says "Ich hab' noch ein Koffer in Berlin" (I still have a suitcase in Berlin), which is fair enough. I don't know of anyone getting flack for their stickers in my area though, I'm beginning to think I must live in one of the sanest parts of the country or something. There's the usual soccer mom, parents of honor students, coexist, dog lover, cat lover type stickers. My boyfriend's mother has "I'd rather be behind my pottery wheel". I don't think we have especially controversial ones, or at least none come to mind. Lots of ribbons for autism/troops/breast cancer/etc as well as campaign stickers for politicians and ones for universities/high schools/favourite sports teams/favourite vacation destinations. I once saw "If the fetus going to be aborted was gay would you still save it?" which annoyed me because I personally dislike (read: do not judge others for it and do not think it should be made illegal) abortions but have no problem with LGBT people whatsoever, but I know who they were mocking with it and I hoped it made such people think.

Coolest car in my area growing up was a girl in my high school who had covered her entire car with bumper stickers. I can't remember any of them but it was definitely the most unique and entertaining car around.

Once when we were on the highway, a truck cut us off so badly that my dad had to stop and back up. The truck had mud flaps that said "Trust in the Lord" and "Driving for Jesus." I don't think Jesus would be pleased with someone who almost causes a car crash.

My first week in my new town, I saw a minivan with a yellow bumper sticker that said, "Homeschool Bus." I've also seen bumper stickers that replicate the "Pregnant? Scared?" billboards, complete with a phone number. The next time I see one of those, I am going to put a sign in the windshield that says, "Pregnant? Scared? Go to a REAL MEDICAL CLINIC."

During the Bush administration, I saw stickers that said, "Somewhere in Texas a village is missing its idiot" and "The only bush I trust is my own." My favorite sticker was one on a car near my old apartment that said, "If you can't trust me with a choice, how can you trust me with a child?"

My Dad, a pastor, has two on his car. One says "Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

I have this one! Hubby won't let me put it on the car, though so it is on my cork board.

A few years ago, I lived in apartments that had assigned parking. One car had all kinds of 'Jesus loves you' type stickers. The cranky old man who had to park next to him put a 'Jesus loves you but everyone else thinks you are an asshole" sticker on his car. :lol: It is funny because dude was kinda prickish.

My all time favorite bumper sticker I've seen in real life is:

"Friend don't let friends die without Jesus."

True story. Could not stop laughing.

I don't have any bumper stickers. The ones I like may get me in trouble! LOL

My preacher at my church has bumper sticker that says "Abortion Stops a Beating Heart". He even put some in the bulletins one Sunday morning. Ugh! It pisses me off. :x

I know everyone loves to hate the honor roll bumper stickers, but if your kid's school sent one home to you, how could you possibly not use it? You put the bumper sticker on your car for the same reason you hang scribbled "art" on your fridge.

What I find odd are those stick figure families. I see them only on minivans and SUVs. Why do people think everyone cares how many kids and pets they have?

I was thinking about this and I remembered, one area where I do see them a lot is in cabs. Not so much bumper stickers but window decals and the like. One time I was in a taxi with a Muslim driver who had a crescent moon and other symbols inside the cab (alongside pics of his family and Canadian flags) but he also had a rosary decal in his front window. Maybe he shared the cab with someone or just couldn't get it off. We got into a discussion about faith and God. He started it, but I didn't mind because he was very open minded and tolerant. I think it was because I'm disabled, he was telling me about a friend he has who is much more disabled then I am and all of things this friend has done. I just told him that, there's someone worse off than you and have determination in life and so we agreed on that and he asked what I studied and I said English, literature. He recommended a bunch of Arab philosophers to me and we had a nice talk about books on my drive to the mall. Sometimes stickers can lead to good things.

Though, if I see cab drivers with more political stickers, like I've seen a few with Palestine, I avoid bringing it up. It's a debate I really don't feel I know enough about to comment on and also feels like one in which people aren't going to agree anytime soon. I didn't think my opinion of "I think both sides should stop fighting and keep talking and try to compromise" would be appreciated.

People actually key and damage other people's cars over stickers?!

Archived