IGNORED

Even my liberal "friends" have gone nuts this election

bellicosebroad

Just, gah. A liberal FB "friend" (who has now banned me) was all beside himself with glee and just so proud of himself because he told those conservative motherfuckers to... well, you know, go fuck themselves. How'd he do it? You've probably heard of these secessionist petitions that are going around whereby various "overlords" of Fuckdom have decided to push for secession from these great United States. And... said aforementioned friend proudly signed the petitions that have come around pushing for just that. "That'll show 'em!" was the thinking.

Only I know lots of people in those states (as does he) that just wish the conservative fuckwads would go away, already.

"Why'd you sign the petitions and give 'em more fuel for their fire?"

"To show 'em!"

"No, they don't know you're joking and want to give 'em what for. You sign the petition, you're giving them support -- and you and others like you have just created massive headaches, potentially, for those who just wish these people would go away."

"That's right! They [the people who just wish the conservative mucks would go away] will have to stand up for their rights and say. 'We don't want this! Go away!'"

"No, it was dumb to encourage that situation. They're trying to get the same attention the Repugs (thankfully) have just had to relinquish because their stupid behavior was clearly trounced in this election. Why are you feeding that again? We just got done with it!" He flounced (I really thought of FJ, here ;-) ), and now I'm banned. Just stupid. Feed the trolls on a national level even though we already know what that leads to. Sigh.

Well, a confession. I considered signing a few of those petitions. If they are serious about leaving, I would rather have them gone. I am tired of constantly having my personal liberties threatened by people who live far from my community and do not value the same things. They are more than willing to take my state's evil tolerant liberal money to prop up their conservative values.

I did not sign the petitions because I have mixed feelings. But honestly, I am not willing to fight to keep them. I know and love many people in the South who are not represented by Southern politics, but obviously a lot of Southerners are electing the assholes and agree with what they stand for.

My liberal FB family and friends have actually been civilized in talking about the election. It's the right-wing nut jobs that had me wanting to pull my hair out.

I've had to hide the majority of political feeds on FB. I can't take it. The liberals and the right wingers.

I had everything from "he's gunna take our guns and replace them with korrans" to "GET LOST MITTENS" and one Romney girl I went to college with who was damn near suicidal. I'm not even kidding. Someone called her mom back home to get her to come and stay with her.

Not gonna lie, a part of me wants to be like, well... now you know how it felt when Bush was reelected.

Yeah, I'm not cool with people signing those and making a big joke out of wanting some states to leave. As a progressive in a religiously and politically conservative state, believe me, I am spending a lot of effort into changing some of the negative attitudes in my community - and slowly, it IS changing. My immediate area is full of young, well educated people and is much more progressive than some of the parts of the state, but it's all gradually changing. Making this secession thing into a big deal doesn't help anything.

The folks who really chafe me are those who argue that progressives should just leave red states to their own mess. I love the site Flyover Feminism and they have a great summary of why progressives shouldn't just give up on conservative areas on their about page: flyoverfeminism.com/about/

I am reminded of the episcopal churches that left the American episcopal church a few years ago. Many are still having legal battles over the rights to the property and church they use to occupy. They dont have the money to buy the property from the owner (Protestant Episcopal Church in the United States of America) and so they are trying to sue for the rights to the property. How on earth will the states be able to buy the land they occupy let alone the infrastructure within it? You cant just leave the US and not expect to pay through the nose for everything within the state that was paid for with federal money.

Yeah, I'm not cool with people signing those and making a big joke out of wanting some states to leave. As a progressive in a religiously and politically conservative state, believe me, I am spending a lot of effort into changing some of the negative attitudes in my community - and slowly, it IS changing. My immediate area is full of young, well educated people and is much more progressive than some of the parts of the state, but it's all gradually changing. Making this secession thing into a big deal doesn't help anything.

The folks who really chafe me are those who argue that progressives should just leave red states to their own mess. I love the site Flyover Feminism and they have a great summary of why progressives shouldn't just give up on conservative areas on their about page: flyoverfeminism.com/about/

I am not saying we should kick them out or write them off. I have been to the South twice (unless you count Florida, and the areas I have been to are not culturally Southern so I do not count it) and I found it charming and so different from the places I have lived. Not to mention the natural beauty of the land. I have yet to see an area of the South that was not breathtakingly beautiful.

But if they want to leave, then we should not fight it. It is not worth another Civil War. Let them go, and make arrangements for people who are interested to leave the South and come into the Northern US as refugees. How many times are we going to fight to push large groups of people into modernity when they clearly do not want it? How many lives is it worth? I say, absolutely no lives.

I am not saying we should kick them out or write them off. I have been to the South twice (unless you count Florida, and the areas I have been to are not culturally Southern so I do not count it) and I found it charming and so different from the places I have lived. Not to mention the natural beauty of the land. I have yet to see an area of the South that was not breathtakingly beautiful.

But if they want to leave, then we should not fight it. It is not worth another Civil War. Let them go, and make arrangements for people who are interested to leave the South and come into the Northern US as refugees. How many times are we going to fight to push large groups of people into modernity when they clearly do not want it? How many lives is it worth? I say, absolutely no lives.

If they can afford to buy the property and infrastructure then I say let them leave too. But, they cant get something for nothing.

If they can afford to buy the property and infrastructure then I say let them leave too. But, they cant get something for nothing.

Considering that they paid taxes as American citizens, they probably have a reasonable claim to whatever is there. Granted, Southern states tend to take more than they give in taxes; nonetheless, they have been giving to an extent.

An interesting question: what would the UN support? They seem to favor secession recently, don't they?

It goes well beyond buying property and infrastructure. The secessionists are a crazy bunch and think because something 'worked' 200 years ago it could be a contemporary solution for their problems. There's not a lot of deep thinking done when it comes to this subject. You have companies who have been lured to certain states with tax incentives, what happens to those business contracts when the state ceases to exist as part of our nation?

They're doing it for a reaction and it's not going to go anywhere, it will provide some brief humor.

It goes well beyond buying property and infrastructure. The secessionists are a crazy bunch and think because something 'worked' 200 years ago it could be a contemporary solution for their problems. There's not a lot of deep thinking done when it comes to this subject. You have companies who have been lured to certain states with tax incentives, what happens to those business contracts when the state ceases to exist as part of our nation?

They're doing it for a reaction and it's not going to go anywhere, it will provide some brief humor.

A girl can dream cant she?I still wish they all vanished the day of the supposed rapture. That would have saved us all a lot of frustration.

A girl can dream cant she?I still wish they all vanished the day of the supposed rapture. That would have saved us all a lot of frustration.

Well the rapture is a whole other story we KNOW it's gonna happen cause the bible says so.

Well the rapture is a whole other story we KNOW it's gonna happen cause the bible says so.

I keep praying that it will happen soon so the normal people can live in peace.

I was tempted to sign a few Callista Gingrich but I resisted the urge.

:lol:

I intended to change my userpic to one of Ann Romney in full sneering bitchface, but I've grown fond of Crazy-eyed Callista.

Okay, secession? I cannot even begin to take that shit seriously. It's just a lot of ragenoise made by people who are in absolute shock now that they've realized that things have changed and history's moving on without them. They didn't see their minority status coming (or they never really believed it would happen), and they're terrified because it's now clear that their power--at least on a national level--is in steep decline, and unlikely to return.

So the most extreme of them are doing a lot of chest-pounding and bellowing about secession in a desperate attempt to appear powerful--that's all it is. And while some of them might actually move to places where knuckle-dragging, Bible-thumping conservatism still holds sway, they're as likely to seriously attempt secession as they are to emigrate to Australia.

If my state wasn't among the ones wanting to leave, I'd happily let those states go. After all, many take in a lot of government funds and probably don't help our overall budget. However, I'm in NC and there are many liberals here. Plus, I don't know how I'd afford to leave. Moving costs money. Maybe I'd get lucky and some northern Republican would want to trade broken down houses.

Where I live there is a huge military base that sustains the local economy. My particular region would be destroyed economically without the military. Although I hope that if NC was stupid enough to leave the union that the government would pull all the military and its equipment out.

We know that Republicans and right wing Christians are war hungry. If red states seceeded, the government should forbid them from having a military.

:lol:

I intended to change my userpic to one of Ann Romney in full sneering bitchface, but I've grown fond of Crazy-eyed Callista.

Okay, secession? I cannot even begin to take that shit seriously. It's just a lot of ragenoise made by people who are in absolute shock now that they've realized that things have changed and history's moving on without them. They didn't see their minority status coming (or they never really believed it would happen), and they're terrified because it's now clear that their power--at least on a national level--is in steep decline, and unlikely to return.

I just love that this is happening. About time. No election is ever again guaranteed to go to "an old white man," as was once true, and with diversity may just come true democracy as a matter of course.

So the most extreme of them are doing a lot of chest-pounding and bellowing about secession in a desperate attempt to appear powerful--that's all it is. And while some of them might actually move to places where knuckle-dragging, Bible-thumping conservatism still holds sway, they're as likely to seriously attempt secession as they are to emigrate to Australia.

I'm not actually worried much that secession will happen. But it's still giving the fine and sane people of those states unnecessary headaches to have these people given any attention at all (unless it's to stop any violent, etc. behavior). They have a right to circulate those petitions and the secessionist nuts have a right to sign them. It's when the sane people jump on board and sign them as a sort of goading gesture that I groan. Creates extra trouble and strokes those people's egos and just encourages more of the same, IMO.

If my state wasn't among the ones wanting to leave, I'd happily let those states go. After all, many take in a lot of government funds and probably don't help our overall budget. However, I'm in NC and there are many liberals here. Plus, I don't know how I'd afford to leave. Moving costs money. Maybe I'd get lucky and some northern Republican would want to trade broken down houses.

Where I live there is a huge military base that sustains the local economy. My particular region would be destroyed economically without the military. Although I hope that if NC was stupid enough to leave the union that the government would pull all the military and its equipment out.

We know that Republicans and right wing Christians are war hungry. If red states seceeded, the government should forbid them from having a military.

Yep. That's why it's dumb to sign the petitions as a liberal who "just wants to make a statement."

I was born and raised in NC, one of the states that wants to secede. I got out as soon as I could. I will never live there again. Ever. Once my parents die, I will never set foot there again. I keep hearing how much it's changing but I don't see it. If anything, it's gotten more conservative, ignorant and repressive. There are a few blue counties, mostly around the major universities.

I say let the sates that want to go, leave. Don't fight them. Don't haggle, just let them go.

Dammit North Dakota is on that list. I may be moving up there in the next month or so depending on a job offer.

When I consider how many lives were lost and how much blood was spilled in order to preserve this union of states, it makes me sick that anyone would even utter the word "secession". President Lincoln is surely rolling over in his grave.

That would make sense if it was a majority of the state that wanted to secede, however it is obviously not. In Texas (where I've lived my entire life) only .08% of the state has signed the petition as of the most recent number I can find. I don't see how in anyone's mind it is rational to say "yes, let them leave the Union", because .08% of the population has signed a petition.

Jill Stein got .35% of the popular vote nationally. Doesn't mean she should be president.

Archived