IGNORED

Season 6 of 19 Kids and Counting. God help us all! (Part 2)

StarrieEyedKat

More like the latter—I was well out of college, but it was still [cough] an unspecified number of years ago.

I only did foil and épée, so I can't really speak too much about the specifics of sabre. But yes, it's a great workout, because pretty much everything gets exercised (give or take the non-sword arm) with a relatively low risk of injury. Plus it doesn't take much to work up a sweat, since it's hot as hell in the gear—the practice jacket alone is like wearing a thick quilt, so you'll wanna stay hydrated and make sure the facility has proper AC. And while a lot of the strip action looks slow and repetitive to the novice eye, like a lot of sports, with regular lessons you'll quickly learn to see the frantic microdynamics of it.

Anyway, PM me if you like; I know there are quite a few fencers (or friends/family of fencers) on FJ, so you should have plenty of brains to pick.

I'm so glad I asked here before shelling out for kit and lessons. I overheat like crazy during exercise (it's a redhead thing, I think), which would rule out fencing. Shame, it looked like loads of fun. Thanks for the warning! I think I'll be taking my stick legs and lack of tone to the pool instead.

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dammit, chased away a potential convert! This is why they don't let me work the front of the Scientology building. :doh:

That said, I still say you should stop by that fencing center before dismissing the idea altogether—talk to people, watch some action close up, get an actual feel for the equipment. You may well come to the same conclusion, but it's still better to check it out firsthand rather than take everything on the word of someone on the Internet. And at least you'll probably get to play with the swords a bit.

To get things more on topic: Did I mention how sorely disappointed I am that Josh didn't go fencing with the fam? Not because I needed to see Joshie hyperventilating/passed out on the strip; I needed to see who they paired him up with and how quickly that person kicked his ass.

Dammit, chased away a potential convert! This is why they don't let me work the front of the Scientology building. :doh:

That said, I still say you should stop by that fencing center before dismissing the idea altogether—talk to people, watch some action close up, get an actual feel for the equipment. You may well come to the same conclusion, but it's still better to check it out firsthand rather than take everything on the word of someone on the Internet. And at least you'll probably get to play with the swords a bit.

To get things more on topic: Did I mention how sorely disappointed I am that Josh didn't go fencing with the fam? Not because I needed to see Joshie hyperventilating/passed out on the strip; I needed to see who they paired him up with and how quickly that person kicked his ass.

It was an excellent pitch, and if you'd been flogging brain probing and the chance to share my sexual history with a group of deranged believers in Xenu guaranteed to blackmail me into staying should I ever want out of their messed up cult... I'd have been in like flynn!

Shame about fencing really. It just looks like so much fun. I'm thinking I might drop into one of the classes my uni runs. I know they do them every few weeks during the semester and they're much cheaper than the lessons I was originally planning on. Would give me a chance to up my fitness before braving the hot jackets and masks. Probably half my problems are to do with the fact that I get puffed walking up hills. God help me but I'm one of those jerks who derives happiness from the number on the scale, not the whole fitness and living past 40 thing.

Thanks for the info! I know nothing of the specifics of fencing, like what goes into the uniforms, but always thought it looks like so much fun! Sadly, physical coordination and I just don't go hand in hand, so I'll probably never do it unless I'm offered a free shot at it. There's no way I can afford to shell out a ton of money to mainly drop my "sword" (don't know the technical, proper terms, no insult intended for devoted fencers!) and land on my ass a lot. :lol:

Thanks for the info! I know nothing of the specifics of fencing, like what goes into the uniforms, but always thought it looks like so much fun! Sadly, physical coordination and I just don't go hand in hand, so I'll probably never do it unless I'm offered a free shot at it. There's no way I can afford to shell out a ton of money to mainly drop my "sword" (don't know the technical, proper terms, no insult intended for devoted fencers!) and land on my ass a lot. :lol:

I'm sure it depends on the club or coach, but mine couldn't have been nicer to anyone who was potentially interested—people were generally quite happy to talk to you, give you a tour, take you through the equipment closet or let you try out their own swords, put you through a stretch or two if they had time. You may not be able to get a full free lesson without a flyer, but with any luck, they'll at least show you some of the ropes. And if you run into attitudinous dicks, well, just know that they're not all like that and move on to the next nearest club.

rock_girl, you'll have to let me know what happens!

It bugs me how blind people are to the darker nature of the Duggars and their lifestyle. It's one thing to write them off as silly and ignore them, but to actively defend them?

Why do people feel the need to defend the Duggars, and so adamantly? If they're such a great family, they shouldn't need defense. If what they're doing is so wonderful for their children, why do they have so many criticizers? Why so many uncomfortable people? Furthermore, why are people so ANNOYED with criticizing parenting? :think:

When I've argued against the Duggars, a defender will likely jump in and say "You don't know them! You don't know what it's really like in there!", as if that makes my criticism based on the evidence I have invalid. :?

Just like the Palins. I've been praying for years that Sarah's lies about Trig's birth be exposed. I read the anti-Palin blogs all the time and am the author of one and there is a lot of evidence that Sarah did not give birth to Trig.

Course the Palins have their defenders as well. There is one troll called Kristy Patullo who spends all day reading the blogs and writing comments like "don't judge people you don't know", "you are very hateful", and "the Palins are a happy family". She even stalks Bristol's personal FB page. Are there any Duggar fans like that?

Many. They're called "leghumpers." I refer you to the threads dedicated to Josh's Instagram for countless examples.

I've got four months to make it up a hill without stopping halfway to gasp for air :lol:. Here's hoping the new semester will bring me the chance to poke people with sharp metal objects. I'll absolutely update!

Just like the Palins. I've been praying for years that Sarah's lies about Trig's birth be exposed. I read the anti-Palin blogs all the time and am the author of one and there is a lot of evidence that Sarah did not give birth to Trig.

Course the Palins have their defenders as well. There is one troll called Kristy Patullo who spends all day reading the blogs and writing comments like "don't judge people you don't know", "you are very hateful", and "the Palins are a happy family". She even stalks Bristol's personal FB page. Are there any Duggar fans like that?

Can you spill? I read Levi's sister's blog and it was interesting, to say the least.

Or Jennifer.

Poor Jennifer. Someone posted a "Happy birthday, Jenny!" thread at her birthday, and I was sitting there thinking "Jenny? Who's Jenny..?"

I've got four months to make it up a hill without stopping halfway to gasp for air :lol:. Here's hoping the new semester will bring me the chance to poke people with sharp metal objects. I'll absolutely update!

I hope you take it. Every student needs a break from their area of study.

I hope you take it. Every student needs a break from their area of study.

Thankyou :) but I've been plugging away at various degrees, switching from this to that and back again with nothing much to show for it for... longer than I care to admit. I think I've had the breaks of a few hundred students!

Thankyou :) but I've been plugging away at various degrees, switching from this to that and back again with nothing much to show for it for... longer than I care to admit. I think I've had the breaks of a few hundred students!

College is all about finding out who you are and what you want to do with your life. Some people only need 4 years others need longer. Dont let that put you down for needing longer.

Has anyone ever noticed that the Duggars use a heart symbol to write the word "and." For example, "Josh <3 Anna Duggar Family" is stenciled above a doorway in Josh and Anna's house. I also remember Michelle writing "Josh <3 Anna" when packing them a sandwich. I like hearts as much as the next gal but are they not aware that desn't even read correctly? I guess cute is what matters? Also, why do their doors need to be labelled? "Kidz room" "mom and dad" Like really? That's a little too precious. Ok, rant over.

I think it's supposed to mean "Josh loves Anna", although that wouldn't make sense in the examples you mentioned :think:

The labeling of their house might be a "teaching-tool", I remember we used to do that in my little hippie-montessori-type school when we first started to read, it was a way to make us read all the time, since the word would be right in front of us and then again whenever we began a new language. With Anna's constant babble about "training" and "practising" and "learning" it would make sense.

College is all about finding out who you are and what you want to do with your life. Some people only need 4 years others need longer. Dont let that put you down for needing longer.

Cheers :), it's nice to hear for once that I'm not totally hopeless!

I think it's supposed to mean "Josh loves Anna", although that wouldn't make sense in the examples you mentioned :think:

The labeling of their house might be a "teaching-tool", I remember we used to do that in my little hippie-montessori-type school when we first started to read, it was a way to make us read all the time, since the word would be right in front of us and then again whenever we began a new language. With Anna's constant babble about "training" and "practising" and "learning" it would make sense.

Someone please tell me that they haven't used "cutesy" spellings on labels that are supposed to be teaching their children. No wonder they all seem illiterate.

Poor Jennifer. Someone posted a "Happy birthday, Jenny!" thread at her birthday, and I was sitting there thinking "Jenny? Who's Jenny..?"

Jennifer belongs to Jill. If Jill ever leaves the compound, Jenny will be hitching up her pack-and-play to whichever one of Josh's clunkers Jill takes. Jennifer is not as forgotten because her sister-mom is Jill. Jordyn belongs to Jessa and Jessa checked out of the sister-mom role years (and 40 pounds of makeup) ago.

In my state college not only did you have to wear pants, but the women also had to wear a special plastic bra thingy. Because those little sword-points can HURT! Our school had a large number in a variety of sizes and we would put them on over our regular bra and under our fencing jacket. It's possible that the place they went to didn't have enough protectors to go around for the girls so they all sat out in solidarity.

A) I'm already sick of J'chelle's new white jacket.

B) It's not like the J-slaves sat out of just the fencing. They sit out of a LOT of what Jinger would call the "unique" activities. For example, Spacecamp, Niagara Falls boat, riding the elephant on the mission trip (Jana). Didn't some of them even sit out of rollerskating? I think they've been so trained/brainwashed into acting "ladylike" that they're afraid of appearing unladylike. They're afraid to have fun. Maybe they'll never escape.

B) It's not like the J-slaves sat out of just the fencing. They sit out of a LOT of what Jinger would call the "unique" activities. For example, Spacecamp, Niagara Falls boat, riding the elephant on the mission trip (Jana). Didn't some of them even sit out of rollerskating? I think they've been so trained/brainwashed into acting "ladylike" that they're afraid of appearing unladylike. They're afraid to have fun. Maybe they'll never escape.

Of course they're afraid to have fun. When your only worth to your future husband is how well you can sit at home and pop out babies (and, I suppose, cook and clean and raise said babies until the oldest daughters can do it for you), you can't appear to have any interests outside of doing just that. What if one of the girls' God-given soulmates was just one phone call with JB away from starting courtship but, in seeing her with a sword, realized that even being willing to touch an instrument that belongs solely to manly men's domain means she's obviously a lesbo abortionist feminazi.

Michelle's white jacket is fugly and unflattering, I'm tired of it already. I've always wondered about her current trend towards short sleeves. Perhaps she's getting hot flashes and can no longer be comfortable wearing long sleeves as part of her layers.

Michelle's white jacket is fugly and unflattering, I'm tired of it already. I've always wondered about her current trend towards short sleeves. Perhaps she's getting hot flashes and can no longer be comfortable wearing long sleeves as part of her layers.

I hope so! Maybe if she can't get pregnant anymore she'll actually pay some attention to Jordyn and Jenny.... Hahahahahaha! Poor kids, more likely the men in white coats will have to come and take J'Chelle away (on the other hand, she does so little for the kids, would they even really notice?)

Archived