IGNORED

Woman who 'aborts' in 39th week sentenced to 8 years.

27randomscribbles

No Cervadil is the drug they give before Pitocin and it has a slight risk of harm, just as Pitocin does. Cytotec aka misoprostol has a manufacturer's black box warning not to use to induce labour because it frequently results in uterine hyperstimulation and fetal demise. OBs still use it because it is incredibly cheap and some seem to think they are above the rules. Many women have become aware of how dangerous Cytotec is, so they have started calling it "miso" in hospitals. If she self-induced with Cytotec, it's highly possible it caused the baby to die before birth. The mystery would be how she wasn't killed as well. Cytotec is responsible for a lot of maternal deaths too.

Cytotec had a black-box warning because its first approved use was to treat gastric ulcers, and they didn't want people giving it to pregnant women with ulcers and inducing miscarriage in pre viable pregnancies and labor in viable pregnancies. (Because when you just want to treat an ulcer and aren't planning on inducing delivery...it's bad to accidentally induce delivery.) It no longer has a black box warning, just a warning.

ETA: actual facts, not just, like, things that aren't true.

ETA2: Cytotec and every other method that can speed up/induce labor can cause uterine tachysystole, where it contracts too often, and this can lead to the baby not getting enough oxygen. Like other drugs that are used for more than one situation, cytotec is used in different doses for ulcers vs inducing the passage of a miscarriage vs induction of labor, and the lowest doses are used for inducing labor to try to prevent this complication from happening. I guess you could try to take large amounts of cytotec to try to induce tachysystole to try to kill the baby, but it wouldn't be a very precise thing to do, and this is not something that is done to perform late term abortions. You would have a pretty good chance of just having a live baby very quickly.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cytotec had a black-box warning because its first approved use was to treat gastric ulcers, and they didn't want people giving it to pregnant women with ulcers and inducing miscarriage in pre viable pregnancies and labor in viable pregnancies. (Because when you just want to treat an ulcer and aren't planning on inducing delivery...it's bad to accidentally induce delivery.) It no longer has a black box warning.

I am positive cytotec was used in my inductions. And it is recommended by WHO as the best drug for inducing labor so I doubt it carries more risk than any other form of induction.

http://bobcesca.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... onette.jpg

I would personally put her in the same category as women who give birth and then throw their babies in trash cans and dumpsters. I'm not anti-choice, but there's no way that I can think of justifying an "abortion" at 39 weeks. Unless a baby is stillborn or has severe congenital defects, inducing delivery at 39 weeks generally produces a healthy, viable infant.

QFT.

Archived