IGNORED

Woman who 'aborts' in 39th week sentenced to 8 years.

27randomscribbles

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/mobilew ... _hp_ref=uk

All these articles keep claiming that she aborted and killed the fetus with misoprostol. I don't know much about it but wouldn't that just induce labor (if anything) at this point? Did she deliver and then murder her baby?

I feel like calling it an abortion is not right. I also wonder how fast pr lifers will catch on to this and use it to claim women who have abortions are evil or pull out the "slippery slope argument" as in "look what an abortion minded society leads to" or some bs like that.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would personally put her in the same category as women who give birth and then throw their babies in trash cans and dumpsters. I'm not anti-choice, but there's no way that I can think of justifying an "abortion" at 39 weeks. Unless a baby is stillborn or has severe congenital defects, inducing delivery at 39 weeks generally produces a healthy, viable infant.

Oh I absolutely agree. Which is why I do not feel comfortable with all the news pieces calling it an abortion. It's not an abortion, it's infanticide. And I am actually curious as to whether or not the baby was born alive and she killed it then...because the articles claim she took meds to bring on labor but then simply call it an abortion. To me it sounds like something is missing.

This shit bothers me because one, this is fucked up, and two, because by calling what this woman did an "abortion" I feel it gives anti-choicers some sensationalism and fuel for their crazy fire.

Talk about spinning... Induction is not the same as abortion! If it were then I have a living, breathing, aborted nephew.

Talk about spinning... Induction is not the same as abortion! If it were then I have a living, breathing, aborted nephew.

I don't know why, but for some reason that sentence made me laugh enough to wake the Partner.

OMG - I never realized until now, if that's how it works in the anti-choice world, then I'm the mother of TWO abortion survivors!!! It's a MIRACLE, praise Jesus!11!!eleventy!!1!

Oh I absolutely agree. Which is why I do not feel comfortable with all the news pieces calling it an abortion. It's not an abortion, it's infanticide. And I am actually curious as to whether or not the baby was born alive and she killed it then...because the articles claim she took meds to bring on labor but then simply call it an abortion. To me it sounds like something is missing.

This shit bothers me because one, this is fucked up, and two, because by calling what this woman did an "abortion" I feel it gives anti-choicers some sensationalism and fuel for their crazy fire.

Agreed. She induced her own labor - risky, but not a crime - and then most likely killed the baby, and disposed of it as she has already admitted to. I can totally see the anti-choice crowd making a huge fuss about the "aborted unborn innocent" - never even going near the word "infanticide".

I would personally put her in the same category as women who give birth and then throw their babies in trash cans and dumpsters. I'm not anti-choice, but there's no way that I can think of justifying an "abortion" at 39 weeks. Unless a baby is stillborn or has severe congenital defects, inducing delivery at 39 weeks generally produces a healthy, viable infant.

+1 :!:

Misoprostol *is* the drug commonly used for inductions. It does not kill fetuses. It very well could have started her labour, whether the baby breathed or not at birth is the question I would be asking.

I honestly don't know what to think about it. Over here it is fairly simple to get an abortion before 13 weeks, slightly more convoluted after that but before 22 weeks, but it is still possible. To actually get to 39 weeks and then decide she didn't want a perfectly healthy fetus, well it's not something I've heard of before. Unless of course if you were talking about a young teen who either didn't recognise that she was pregnant or was in denial over a pregnancy. A woman in her thirties though?

I'm not sure the answer is to jail her for 8 years though. Perhaps this is wrong of me but I can't help but think that she must need some psychiatric help to have done this in the first place (I'll admit I know little about the case). I'm very conflicted really about the whole thing really.

I agree with this.

I honestly don't know what to think about it. Over here it is fairly simple to get an abortion before 13 weeks, slightly more convoluted after that but before 22 weeks, but it is still possible. To actually get to 39 weeks and then decide she didn't want a perfectly healthy fetus, well it's not something I've heard of before. Unless of course if you were talking about a young teen who either didn't recognise that she was pregnant or was in denial over a pregnancy. A woman in her thirties though?

I'm not sure the answer is to jail her for 8 years though. Perhaps this is wrong of me but I can't help but think that she must need some psychiatric help to have done this in the first place (I'll admit I know little about the case). I'm very conflicted really about the whole thing really.

I agree with you.

I tend to be more lenient because it is still her body even if the foetus is viable so if she wanted an induction and was denied, or thought she would be..... People rarely would get to 39 weeks (and be obviously pregnant to others) and then go off killing the foetus or the baby once it's born. She needs help, not prison.

Ditto. You guys can rip me apart for this but I've always felt sorry for the women who do the throw the babies in trashcans deal. It always makes me wonder what kind of situation they are in to have to do that, how desperate they must be, what their thought process is. Normally, though, in these type of situations where the mother kills and tries to dispose of the infant, her body is in fight or flight mode and sometimes doesn't remember the ordeal afterward. She will normally even deny that she was pregnant in the first place. However, this woman in particular seemed to be planning on inducing and then killing her baby. So I don't know, but agree with Sola that 8 years in prison doesn't seem to be the most appropriate sentence. This case does highlight a few things, however. There needs to be more access to safe, affordable abortions in later trimesters. If there was this shit would probably not have happened. Also, I have the gut feeling that anti-choicers are going to be waving this quote around for quite some time:

"The critical element of your offending is the deliberate choice made by you, in full knowledge of the due date of your child, to terminate the pregnancy at somewhere close to term, if not actually at term, with the full knowledge that termination after week 24 was unlawful and in full knowledge your child's birth was imminent," he said./quote]

Thats is awful, 39 weeks is full term. She should have had an abortion a few months before, or just gave birth and put the baby up for adoption.

I dont think this even counts as an abortion, cause she induced labour when the fetus was able to survive outside the uterus, and then killed it.

But for all the pro-life people out there, this is a reason why we should have safe, legal abortions, so people dont try and do it unsafely by themselfes or try and abort a full term fetus.

Ditto. You guys can rip me apart for this but I've always felt sorry for the women who do the throw the babies in trashcans deal. It always makes me wonder what kind of situation they are in to have to do that, how desperate they must be, what their thought process is. Normally, though, in these type of situations where the mother kills and tries to dispose of the infant, her body is in fight or flight mode and sometimes doesn't remember the ordeal afterward. She will normally even deny that she was pregnant in the first place. However, this woman in particular seemed to be planning on inducing and then killing her baby. So I don't know, but agree with Sola that 8 years in prison doesn't seem to be the most appropriate sentence. This case does highlight a few things, however. There needs to be more access to safe, affordable abortions in later trimesters. If there was this shit would probably not have happened. Also, I have the gut feeling that anti-choicers are going to be waving this quote around for quite some time:

I'm not sure what you are saying here. That if people could just choose to actually have an abortion in their third trimester and they went to an abortion clinic, the baby could just be induced and then strangled or something? She gave birth. It wasn't an abortion just because she wanted the baby dead, so I think I'm misunderstanding you. Did you mean more access to abortion in earlier trimesters? Because like others have said, this wasn't an abortion, and shouldn't be called that - and yeah, the whole "prolife" crowd will totally think of this as an example of how "pro-choice" people just love to kill babies.

Mrs.Kay:

OMG - I never realized until now, if that's how it works in the anti-choice world, then I'm the mother of TWO abortion survivors!!! It's a MIRACLE, praise Jesus!11!!eleventy!!1!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I completely agree. Abortion is not even an issue here, this is infanticide. She had already been through the pregnancy. What was stopping her from using the safe haven laws in the U.K. if she did not want the child? I am very pro-choice; but this one is where the line becomes a yawning chasm for me.

This was not an abortion. This was a calculated planned out induction. I have no doubt this was to punish the man she had an affair with. Murder. Why wont she tell where the baby is? Trash..landfill? I cant fathom her remorse.is for the trouble she caused her husband and kids but not for the infant. Just to many things dont add up.

I think this woman is lying. Inducing labour at 39 weeks will - unless something goes wrong with the delivery - result in a live child. I think she killed the child after it was born and is now lying to save her skin.

I tried to find more information on this woman.

She has had at least three other unwanted pregnancies, one resulted in a legalabortion, one in adoption and she kept the third child.

Seriously, birth control, it's not difficult to use!

She sounds like a sociopath. I find it hard to believe that she feels remorse or wants forgiveness from her family. After several pregnancies with one or two she kept, one adopted out, one aborted early (I guess??? Has that been shown or is that her word alone?), and one killed outright, the child of a 7 YEAR affair with a guy so she kills this baby while her husband's out of town - who knows what else she does that doesn't involve getting pregnant. She sounds like she is simply lacking some kind of actual working conscience.

For the people trying to claim this IS an abortion and a "choice" - are you saying that in order to try to validate what you see as a pro-choice view point? It's like you're swinging to the opposite end of the spectrum from the nutcases that say a blastocyst is a baby and therefore all abortion and hormonal birth control is off the table. You don't need to do the same thing by saying the 39 week old fetus isn't a baby as long as attached to the mother. It's being just as nutty and is lacking in as much compassion as the blastocyst-baby people.

The author of that article fails science. She induced using misoprostol and either killed the baby, or it was a stillbirth. It's not an abortion when you induce labour at 9 months.

People have stillbirths at home. People have homebirths that unexpectedly result in stillbirths. People have homebirths at 39 weeks without a problem. She could easily have not done anything illegal in this situation. If the baby was actually stillborn, as she claims he was, she could have taken his body to the hospital and while she would have been investigated and the at-home induction considered highly suspicious, I doubt she'd be charged with anything. I can see why she would have hidden the body even if she hadn't done anything illegal - she had gone in intending to do something illegal, and if she googled "how can I get an illegal abortion" and was told taking misoprostol would do it, she probably thought she was responsible for the baby being stillborn. However I don't think just failing to report a stillbirth could possibly get you a sentence longer than that for manslaughter. (Manslaughter is what a stillbirth caused by negligence would get you, no?) Unless her intentions alone were enough to get her the 8 year sentence, I think the court knows something that wasn't reported in the article.

For the people trying to claim this IS an abortion and a "choice" - are you saying that in order to try to validate what you see as a pro-choice view point? It's like you're swinging to the opposite end of the spectrum from the nutcases that say a blastocyst is a baby and therefore all abortion and hormonal birth control is off the table. You don't need to do the same thing by saying the 39 week old fetus isn't a baby as long as attached to the mother. It's being just as nutty and is lacking in as much compassion as the blastocyst-baby people.

Maybe I'm reading wrong, but I don't see any of us saying this.

Archived