IGNORED

GOP Senate candidate: ‘Legitimate rape’ rarely causes pregnA

Ralar

Wow. It's hard to know what to say in the face of such stunning stupidity and hatred.

As a sexual assault survivor, I'm nearly speechless.

My hope above hope is that he did Claire McCaskill a favor because his position is such an incredibly extreme, misogynistic one that maybe this will scare off a lot of his current right-wing support. Even when I was a fundie-lite, I didn't know that many people who believed that women should not have the rape/incest exceptions. For all but the most ardent of pro-birthers, that is a bridge too far.

It seems that many in the GOP can't get away from him fast enough. And Paul Ryan has some problems now, too, as he worked with this asshat on what amounted to a personhood bill.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/20/politics/ ... index.html

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/20 ... -campaign/

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously you all have done more research than I have, which I greatly appreciate. I was honestly sick from the first link and scanned through another page. I am a survivor, and he can kiss my ass. Moving along to that drink I shouldn't be having at 5pm on a Monday.

Haven't read the whole thread because it just makes me too mad.

But I feel among like-mindeds enough here to say that I laughed bitterly when I heard him say (paraphrased) "there's seomthing in a woman's body that prevents conception if legitimately [sic] raped."

That was the word that went around the 8th grade bus, back in 1963, when we found out how sex worked and also found out what rape meant ... all by the book, thank God, at that time. It sounded too good to be true then ... and for an elder statesman to puke out such bullshit just made my stomach turn.

I wondered where this misinformation started. A little poking around the internet got me to this amazing piece of crap by Dr. J.C. Wilke, a darling of the pro-life movement. Don't read it if you're planning to eat in the near future because it will make you sick. The sheer misuse of statistics made me feel queasy enough, but then he finishes up with a flourish as he informs us that incest victims, in particular, hardly ever get pregnant, and when they do, it is somehow by their own choice. But offering them an abortion is no real favor, since their rapist father is a "love object" in their eyes and they desire to have his child. Barf, barf, barf. The sad thing is that I'm sure he's not even the first to spew this misogynistic baloney. He's just the first I could find.

http://www.abortionfacts.com/online_books/love_them_both/why_cant_we_love_them_both_29.asp

I wondered where this misinformation started. A little poking around the internet got me to this amazing piece of crap by Dr. J.C. Wilke, a darling of the pro-life movement. Don't read it if you're planning to eat in the near future because it will make you sick. The sheer misuse of statistics made me feel queasy enough, but then he finishes up with a flourish as he informs us that incest victims, in particular, hardly ever get pregnant, and when they do, it is somehow by their own choice. But offering them an abortion is no real favor, since their rapist father is a "love object" in their eyes and they desire to have his child. Barf, barf, barf. The sad thing is that I'm sure he's not even the first to spew this misogynistic baloney. He's just the first I could find.

http://www.abortionfacts.com/online_books/love_them_both/why_cant_we_love_them_both_29.asp

I can attest to the fact that this misinformation is widely believed and spread in the far-right "pro-life" community. I was peripherally and briefly involved in that community in the 1980s, and when the question of abortion in the case of rape was brought up, often these folks would lower their voices and say, "Well, you know, that really doesn't happen". No, it wasn't something that they put on their brochures, but it was a view that was widely held.

I was in my 20s at the time, still a fundie-lite, and already a sexual assault survivor, and this caused serious cognitive dissonance within me. No, I had not become pregnant as a result of my assault, but I was college educated and knowledgeable enough about simple human biology to know this couldn't be true. I ended up distancing myself from this community pretty quickly, as this was just the beginning of their intellectual dishonesty. Well, their dishonesty in general.

This Akin asshat is really just saying what those folks actually believe.

The stats NPR has been using are that about half of pregnancies caused by rape end in abortion.

That means that women, WHEN FREE TO CHOOSE, often choose to continue those pregnancies.

And then, do these assholes support their right to raise the child without contact with their rapist?

Surprisingly, no. Feminists do. Check out this woman's story:

http://www.xojane.com/it-happened-to-me ... v4.twitter

I can attest to the fact that this misinformation is widely believed and spread in the far-right "pro-life" community. I was peripherally and briefly involved in that community in the 1980s, and when the question of abortion in the case of rape was brought up, often these folks would lower their voices and say, "Well, you know, that really doesn't happen". No, it wasn't something that they put on their brochures, but it was a view that was widely held.

I was in my 20s at the time, still a fundie-lite, and already a sexual assault survivor, and this caused serious cognitive dissonance within me. No, I had not become pregnant as a result of my assault, but I was college educated and knowledgeable enough about simple human biology to know this couldn't be true. I ended up distancing myself from this community pretty quickly, as this was just the beginning of their intellectual dishonesty. Well, their dishonesty in general.

This Akin asshat is really just saying what those folks actually believe.

You're right Austin, Akin's attitude is borne of cloud of disinformation this community thrives in. Their attempts to deny and demonize anything remotely "scientific" in favor of religious dogma breeds this type of idiocy. I'm sure Akin really thought this was true. When you see him, you can tell that he felt he had just wound up and delivered a really good argument! Just scary.

In a strange way, I'm almost glad when something like this is exposed to the mainstream. The more the crazy that exists in the Tea Party and religious fundamentalism is brought to light, the more chance to fight it. It's when they cloak their insanity in statements that appeal to the typical head-in-the-sand voter that it gets so dangerous.

Surprisingly, Fox News isn't talking about Akin or the skinnydipping congressman from Kansas. If they were Democrats, Fox News would be all over it. Fair and Balanced??

Surprisingly, Fox News isn't talking about Akin or the skinnydipping congressman from Kansas. If they were Democrats, Fox News would be all over it. Fair and Balanced??

Nah, they care more about the "persecuted" asshats who support Chick-fil-A, Chick-fil-A's owners, and other serious issues of the like.

Look, sogba! My pet's online! I'm sure she's a rape apologist like this asshat. *edit* Aw, she left. :( And I wanted to teach her new tricks...

Wow, your ability to read minds is AMAZING! :roll: Don't quit your dayjob. :lol:

I hope candidate Akin loses his senate seat. I don't support this cheap suit or any of the suits in congress in the least.

As far as pets, if you had one it would probably die from boredom from you being so repetitive. I know I am.

Guest Anonymous

Wow, your ability to read minds is AMAZING! :roll: Don't quit your dayjob. :lol:

I hope candidate Akin loses his senate seat. I don't support this cheap suit or any of the suits in congress in the least.

As far as pets, if you had one it would probably die from boredom from you being so repetitive. I know I am.

Do you vote, scarygirl?

Do you vote, scarygirl?

I am a registered Democrat, but have voted for both Republicans and Democrats. I am not sure I will vote in this year's presidential election as I don't have faith in either candidate.

I am a registered Democrat, but have voted for both Republicans and Democrats. I am not sure I will vote in this year's presidential election as I don't have faith in either candidate.

Excellent.

If womens bodies had ways of stopping them from getting pregnant (other than contraception), wouldnt that mean no pregnancy would ever be unwanted?

Following this thought to its "logical" conclusion would mean that a woman who has a miscarriage or is barren doesn't really want kids.

This pretty much sums up my reaction:

:shock: :angry-screaming: :angry-screaming: :angry-steamingears: :angry-steamingears: :angry-cussing: :angry-cussing: :angry-banghead:

Dear Anxious,

I'm so glad your pet found her way home. Please muzzle her before the elections. I believe experiencedd as the carpet cleaner.

Sincerely,

grateful

Guest Anonymous

know whats sad? i told a friend of mine about this... she agrees that the body shuts down and doesnt act right due to trauma. then she said "ive been raped so I know!" also the people she reported it to were evil because they gave her a morning after pill without telling her what it was first. and she asked what she was taking AFTER she took it. yes it wAs wrong if they didnt tell her but that seems highly unprofessional. she also should have asked first before taking those pills. however she has always been a bit of a drama queen and tends to exaggerate. (Not saying anything against women who have been raped, or even saying she is lying. just pointing out part of her personality)

You know even IF women's bodies didn't ovulate because of the trauma of rape, this would still be a steaming pile because the egg lives for about 24 hours after ovulation. All it would take is for a rape to happen after ovulation.

The stat I saw earlier today is 10,000-15,000 women a year in the US have abortions because of rape

Following this thought to its "logical" conclusion would mean that a woman who has a miscarriage or is barren doesn't really want kids.

Christianne Northrup already spewed that bullshit in "Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom".

In a strange way, I'm almost glad when something like this is exposed to the mainstream. The more the crazy that exists in the Tea Party and religious fundamentalism is brought to light, the more chance to fight it. It's when they cloak their insanity in statements that appeal to the typical head-in-the-sand voter that it gets so dangerous.

This.

Reminds me of that line from "I, Claudius". "Let all the poisons that lurk in the mud hatch out."

Drag these pieces of shit into the light so everyone can see exactly what they are.

know whats sad? i told a friend of mine about this... she agrees that the body shuts down and doesnt act right due to trauma. then she said "ive been raped so I know!" also the people she reported it to were evil because they gave her a morning after pill without telling her what it was first. and she asked what she was taking AFTER she took it. yes it wAs wrong if they didnt tell her but that seems highly unprofessional. she also should have asked first before taking those pills. however she has always been a bit of a drama queen and tends to exaggerate. (Not saying anything against women who have been raped, or even saying she is lying. just pointing out part of her personality)

The morning after pill would have kept her from getting pregnant and the high dose of hormones would have made her cycle act very weird. Sounds like the morning after pill is what shut down her reproductive ability, not the rape...

It sounds like this guy is trying to stay in the race. I'm watching CNN and he is coming out with a new commercial saying he is a fighter for justice for rape victims.

I have a friend that works for this organization and last year I raised money for them. They are a great organization, and they do great things for rape victims....male, female, GLBT....in the Chicago area. I'm making a donation in Akin's name.

http://www.rapevictimsadvocates.org

That moron made it even into the German news, for those who can speak German (and I know quite a few do!):

http://www.tagesschau.de/ausland/vergewaltigung100.html

The article talks has the same criticism as posters here already made: His statement is nonsense, writes about Mr. Moron being a liability to his party and how Obama was quick to make use of this atrocious statement (personally, I can't fault him for that).

Archived