IGNORED

The Jepsons

GeoBQn

And this is the reason why I thinks Mrs. Jepson is a cunt, and not the good kind.

If you don't want to talk about grammar (personally, I love grammar!), we could go here. Though this is going to go worse than the English observations.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The oxford comma is a debate some say use it some say don't. You ladies are leaving out of the equation Dad who is also a school teacher, he corrects papers obviously. :) If the children can pass state tests and are up to grade level, then what we do works. Period.

No, it is not a "debate."

Are you honestly too lazy, or too ignorant, to Google MLA handbook of style? It would be a valuable resource for your "homeschooling."

1. Use commas to separate independent clauses when they are joined by any of these seven coordinating conjunctions: and, but, for, or, nor, so, yet.

2. Use commas after introductory a) clauses, b) phrases, or c) words that come before the main clause.

3. Use a pair of commas in the middle of a sentence to set off clauses, phrases, and words that are not essential to the meaning of the sentence. Use one comma before to indicate the beginning of the pause and one at the end to indicate the end of the pause.

4. Do not use commas to set off essential elements of the sentence, such as clauses beginning with that (relative clauses). That clauses after nouns are always essential. That clauses following a verb expressing mental action are always essential.

5. Use commas to separate three or more words, phrases, or clauses written in a series.

6. Use commas to separate two or more coordinate adjectives that describe the same noun. Be sure never to add an extra comma between the final adjective and the noun itself or to use commas with non-coordinate adjectives.

7. Use a comma near the end of a sentence to separate contrasted coordinate elements or to indicate a distinct pause or shift.

8. Use commas to set off phrases at the end of the sentence that refer back to the beginning or middle of the sentence. Such phrases are free modifiers that can be placed anywhere in the sentence without causing confusion.

9. Use commas to set off all geographical names, items in dates (except the month and day), addresses (except the street number and name), and titles in names.

10. Use a comma to shift between the main discourse and a quotation.

11. Use commas wherever necessary to prevent possible confusion or misreading.

I have a question about the following quote from your blog:

Yes, only one day. This is huge for us, I am bursting with joy. We spent more than a few hours talking this morning. I told the girls I am sorry I am not your birth Mom and you are angry at me for this. However, I am the Mom God has given you and it hurts me deeply how you are treating me. I asked them....this... where is your birth Mom?????? Silence.... Is she here??? More silence...

Thinking time, desperate prayer in my heart.

Tears, all of us.

I am here, I am what you have. I am the only Mommy you have.

Silence, more thinking time...many more tears.

Surprisingly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We love you Mommy, we want you to be our Mommy, were sorry. Please forgive us.

This is concerning to me on so many levels. The fact that not only have those sweet girls lost their mom, but now you have the audacity to shove it in their faces with your "Where is your birth mom???? Is she here????" business is infuriating to me. How dare you? They have suffered enough without you saying such hateful things in order to manipulate them into begging you to forgive them. You have nothing to forgive them for. They are confused little girls...they didn't ask for this.

Also, wasn't it stated that their mother begged you to make sure they knew how much she loved them? And this is what you do? Why couldn't you have said something like, "Honey your mommy loved you so much and she only wanted the very best for you. I am so lucky to have you, and I love you more that you can know, but if your mommy could be here I know she would." They need reassurance that their mom loved them, not some wretched "adoptive mother martyr" pointing out how their mom isn't there for them and how lucky they are to have her.

The oxford comma is a debate some say use it some say don't. You ladies are leaving out of the equation Dad who is also a school teacher, he corrects papers obviously. :) If the children can pass state tests and are up to grade level, then what we do works. Period.

You just Googled "Oxford Comma" didn't you?

Don’t kill the Oxford comma!

The university hands down a new edict about punctuation -- but the world's grammar nerds will never back down .

http://www.salon.com/2011/06/30/death_o ... ord_comma/

I guess if we must discuss the Oxford comma here is an article you would like.

Read your own articles. This is talking about the serial comma, not arguing that the comma should be abandoned entirely. :doh:

Jodi, please tell us how you feel about the Oxford comma.

riffle

Oh no, not THAT can of worms! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest Anonymous

You might think you're being polite to the feminist harpies, but I actually find the "ladies" schtick condescending as fuck.

Great, someone else grades the papers, thank goodness for that.

experiencedd asked you what YOU thought about the Oxford comma. You didn't think critically about that question. You didn't defend the use of the Oxford comma or decry it. You didn't answer the question at all. It would be nice to see you prove that you can reason and communicate clearly, not that I'm holding my breath.

Regurgitating links is not answering the question. Or are you not allowed to have an opinon on commas without your husband's permission?

You might think you're being polite to the feminist harpies, but I actually find the "ladies" schtick condescending as fuck.

Great, someone else grades the papers, thank goodness for that.

experiencedd asked you what YOU thought about the Oxford comma. You didn't think critically about that question. You didn't defend the use of the Oxford comma or decry it. You didn't answer the question at all. It would be nice to see you prove that you can reason and communicate clearly, not that I'm holding my breath.

Regurgitating links is not answering the question. Or are you not allowed to have an opinon on commas without your husband's permission?

How can she have an opinion on commas, when she can't even USE them?

9. Women should not be busybodies – chat rooms, blogs, and Facebook.

Does this mean you shouldn't be blogging or posting on FJ?

Oh no, not THAT can of worms! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I started laughing when that sentence came to mind at dinner tonight. "Hey, Exp, whatcha laughing about?" "Oh the Oxford comma"...

I have a question about the following quote from your blog:

This is concerning on so many levels to me. The fact that not only have those sweet girls lost their mom, but now you have the audacity to shove it in their faces with your "Where is your birth mom???? Is she here????" business is infuriating to me. How dare you? They have suffered enough without you saying such hateful things in order to manipulate them into begging you to forgive them. You have nothing to forgive them for. They are confused little girls...they didn't ask for this.

Also, wasn't it stated that their mother begged you to make sure they knew how much she loved them? And this is what you do? Why couldn't you have said something like, "Honey your mommy loved you so much and she only wanted the very best for you. I am so lucky to have you, and I love you more that you can know, but if your mommy could be here I know she would." They need reassurance that their mom loved them, not some wretched "adoptive mother martyr" pointing out how their mom isn't there for them and how lucky they are to have her.

Please know that I do say that. Just tonight we were looking at photos of all the birth parents. Sometimes we have to accept what is gone in order to accept what is here. That was one of those moments. You are right people can be confused, but we must go on in spite of the choices our birth mothers have made and be thankful for what we have. Their birth Moms are not here and they do need to move on. It does not mean they do not love them or think of them but it also does not mean it is an excuse to lash out. I would know, I come from the same back round. I know adults who are still stuck in this thinking, blaming the cards life gave them for everything. it is no way to live. Life is what you make it.

I fixed my spelling mistakes, I think. My typing is not all that great either so that adds to the error. GASP I do not type well????????????

Anyway...........

I have to wonder though IRL do you rip on people your friends for this sort of thing. Is seems so junior high. Just saying.

I came here for a discussion but you ladies can not get beyond pretending like you are my English teachers.

I think people rag on it because they really do think it makes a difference, if you're the educator. I'm not sure it matters that much, myself, because as you say, a lot of normal school teachers who do okay actually have quite terrible spelling/grammar in their personal letters, but I think that's where other people are coming from.

I definitely have a problem with the quote Koala, among others, has posted above, and I would be very concerned if it came from a friend.

6. Women should not kill their babies made in the image of God.

Scary Bible (Bible is capitalized btw) story:

Numbers 31:17-18

God: He doesn't love babies as much as you think he does.

Actually he's kind of a monster.

I've always wondered if babies like this are made in the image of God or not: (warning: graphic)

220px-Enencephaly.jpg

I come from the same back round.

No matter what kind of background you come from, manipulation is not okay.

Guest Anonymous
I've always wondered if babies like this are made in the image of God or not: (warning: graphic)

Someday I will learn to leave stuff inside spoiler tags alone. It's too late for today to be that day.

Please know that I do say that. Just tonight we were looking at photos of all the birth parents. Sometimes we have to accept what is gone in order to accept what is here. That was one of those moments. You are right people can be confused, but we must go on in spite of the choices our birth mothers have made and be thankful for what we have. Their birth Moms are not here and they do need to move on. It does not mean they do not love them or think of them but it also does not mean it is an excuse to lash out. I would know, I come from the same back round. I know adults who are still stuck in this thinking, blaming the cards life gave them for everything. it is no way to live. Life is what you make it.

Are you freaking kidding me? How old are these girls that they need to just "be thankful for what they have" and "move on"? That sounds an awful lot like what would be convenient for YOU. "Gee, I know your mom doesn't want you, SEE, SHE'S NOT HERE IS SHE???? IS SHE???? But I'm here and you're oh so lucky to have me. If you'll apologize like nice girls and beg really nicely I guess I'll keep you."

Seriously, their mom begged you to convey her love for them. You think she didn't want to be there??? Who do you think you are to take that away from them? They needed it. I don't care how thankless your job is, you chose it. They didn't. You don't ever have the right to shove it down their throats that their mom isn't there. You think they don't know that? Kids don't just "move on". They carry these things. It's who they are and it will be for the rest of their lives. You betrayed their mother and you betrayed them. All so you could feel good about yourself. That's disgusting.

Jodi, you may want to consider getting some help with your own abandonment issues, so you could more sensitively address those of your daughters.

Someday I will learn to leave stuff inside spoiler tags alone. It's too late for today to be that day.

Someday I will learn to recognize my own berserk buttons and then not press them. I think Jodi could only piss me off more if she went and had a picnic on a train track somewhere. :lol:

Yes, I do wish grammar and spelling were my strong points. Obviously I do the best I can with what I have...and make every attempt to improve it. As the world taught me and teaches now as a woman you are to go after your hearts desire, even if you are not perfect at it. Follow your dreams, be all that you can be. I could not let something like this prevent me from doing what I knew was best for our family. My three older boys 23, 21, almost 18 loved homeschooling and are all very smart. For our 4th son he hated homeschooling so we were happy to go with public school. Our girls also love homeschooling right now. Our neices are the same age as our girls and they are doing as well as they are in addition to knowing alot about home making and animal husbandry. My sister in law is a public school teacher, and she and I talk alot about education and what is going on in the system.

Math is taught early on here as my husband works with numbers , fractions for a living. He is amazing! All the boys can work along side of him. In fact two of our sons just build a home alone for the first time while Dad was on a trim job. It was quite a fancy home too. I am proud of them in spite of my short comings.

Guest Anonymous
Jodi, you may want to consider getting some help with your own abandonment issues, so you could more sensitively address those of your daughters.

This is sound, kind, and excellent advice.

Archived