IGNORED

Deanna Coghlan Engaged

DomWackTroll

Kim has mentioned that she has some Alaska Native ancestry and I think it's very evident in her bone structure and that of many of the kids. She's also posted pictures of her dozen siblings and they've got quite a range of looks too, including at least one red head.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Still thinking of the nice friendly boy I had finally gotten to know – just a little – I decided to write him a letter. But he was named after his dad; how could I make it clear who the letter was for and avoid an embarrassing mixup? I couldn’t come up with an easy answer, so instead I wrote a friendly chatty letter to Mr. Coghlan. Somewhere along the line, I casually inquired that if I were to someday write a letter to his oldest son, how might I address it? In retrospect, that might not have been a nice thing to do to a 14 year old boy. So subtle…I’m sure the family had a good laugh over it, and poor Perry probably blushed to the tips of his ears.

This is certainly more forward then I would think a fundie girl would dare to be. Of course, in the nonfundie world she would have gotten his email or phone number and not had to go through his dad.

It would be odd for my husband to get a letter from my any of my sons' friends. I wonder why she didn't just write the mom? If she wanted to contact the boy, why not go through another female or ask her mom to talk to his?

The following summer, I flew alone to Oregon for 3 weeks to visit family and attend a cousin’s wedding. While there, my uncle casually mentioned he had heard that I might be getting married soon.

What?! I quickly ran through the possibilities, and realized he was referring to a young man who lived down the street. I was flattered by the young man’s attention, and mildly impressed with his credentials: he had a horse, a truck, and had posed for an Air Force ad in Reader’s Digest. But when my uncle mentioned him as marriage material, I was taken aback. I knew he was no such thing. I wouldn’t have even have called him a boyfriend, so why was I wasting his time and mine by allowing his attentions?

Only in fundie world would this seem like anything other then a joke from her uncle. Seriously, she doesn't even know the man and he is courting her? And how is she allowing his attention if she didn't even know he was interested in her? It is all right to be friendly to the opposite sex without having any intentions of marrying them.

Maybe it was forward of me, but I wasn’t actively pursuing him. At least, I didn’t look at it that way. I was being friendly to a young man who might be future husband material

lol

Years later I was chagrined to learn that he only wrote back when his dad threatened to spank him

Oh my goodness, that is sick and horrible. The boy must have been 15 and his dad threatened to spank him! Apparently, this marriage was arranged years ago, at least on the part of the Coughlan father.

Deanna posted some love poems on her blog back in december, and since her mom didnt talk or post photos of her in the blog since a long time(she say that she was at a relatives family home for some time, but not for what) i just asumed that she may be dating someone all this time.

Maybe they know each other well.

He is not the most handsome, but seems nice. I hope that she is happy with him and it isnt an arranged marriage.

They've updated the site with some delightfully awkward photos of the happy couple. The wedding is just over a month away.

They've updated the site with some delightfully awkward photos of the happy couple. The wedding is just over a month away.

They might be a bit awkward, but some of those photos are pretty sweet! Gives me a little more hope for them. :)

Deanna's top is a bit defrauding!

I'd caption the third photo as "Me and my new friend I made at summer camp." It's obvious that they don't know how to touch each other in a natural, comfortable way. It's hard for me to comprehend that they are expected to go from summer camp besties to doing the deed overnight.

Deanna seems like a pistol, and I feel like there's hope for her. Hopefully she's found herself a man who will give her some room to spread her wings and figure out the world for herself now that she's being released from her Costco shelving. May her marriage bring her happiness and a high quality mattress.

ime, that happens when you have two parents who look nothing alike. My siblings and I (the bio related ones) all look like we are different races despite sharing parents. And of my 5 children, I have two who look very much alike and then the others are completely different.

It's just the luck of genetics. My siblings and I all look alike, except they have nearly black hair, mine is auburn brown. My mom looks just like her mother, but her sister doesn't look at all like her. My dad has the same facial features as his siblings, but totally different coloring. (he looks just like his grandfather.)

I know a set of mixed race twins- one is light skinned, red haired and blue eyed, the other looks black.

Good for her- hopefully now she can have air conditioning and a real bed. Sad commentary, but true.

On a shallow note, he is not what I would call an attractive lad, but if he goes to real school and has non-fundie interests, that makes him a thousand times more appealing than any fundie stud.

AA in Criminal Justice. Sound familiar, Gothard-watchers? I'm going to guess he turns out to be one of those obnoxious white supremecist-type cops, complete with the buzz cut (or flattop). With his love for campus conceal and carry, this kid could be a little...warped.

I hope he proves me wrong, but sorry, there's just something wrong with the cut of his jib.

This is certainly more forward then I would think a fundie girl would dare to be. Of course, in the nonfundie world she would have gotten his email or phone number and not had to go through his dad.

It would be odd for my husband to get a letter from my any of my sons' friends. I wonder why she didn't just write the mom? If she wanted to contact the boy, why not go through another female or ask her mom to talk to his?

Only in fundie world would this seem like anything other then a joke from her uncle. Seriously, she doesn't even know the man and he is courting her? And how is she allowing his attention if she didn't even know he was interested in her? It is all right to be friendly to the opposite sex without having any intentions of marrying them.

lol

Oh my goodness, that is sick and horrible. The boy must have been 15 and his dad threatened to spank him! Apparently, this marriage was arranged years ago, at least on the part of the Coughlan father.

You can't spank a 15-year old. How is that even physically possible? Fundies just say "spank" when they mean "beat." His father was going to beat him. Whack him with a belt, plumbing line--perhaps he just made a threatening noises, and Perry knew what that meant. However, Kim couldn't say that because it would sound too bad, so she plugged in the word "spank."

I found her registry on walmart.com (not sure if I'm allowed to link it) it looks like they are moving out because they have a table and chairs on it, but no matress! I hope she gets a good one!

I found her registry on walmart.com (not sure if I'm allowed to link it) it looks like they are moving out because they have a table and chairs on it, but no matress! I hope she gets a good one!

At least she's asking for stuff that people can actually afford, unlike the slightly outrageous Maxwell/Munck registry.

Question: why register for Nutella?

I have heard many people register for little or cheap things so younger siblings,cousins, etc. or not so well off relatives can buy something for the couple;She has hoards of both so that might be it.

He likes Metallica, AC/DC, Kings of leon, Rise Against....OMG! What a rare catch in fundie-world! I'm with "Run Deanna"-team.

And I think as well that he probably only liked VF, because of Perry, since it seems to be a quite recent thing.

Either he's a world champion at cognitive dissonance or he's not fundie. I'm leaning toward the latter, I'm pretty sure fundie Rise Against fans are not a thing. Or even slightly conservative ones, really. Unless he just heard Savior on the radio once, in which case fuck him.

Of all the things to delurk over...

The registries do seem more reasonable than the Munck/Maxwell selection, but still a few strange things. Four sets of colored sharpies and some pens. Also 2 french presses, a drip coffeemaker, and a keurig :?

Either he's a world champion at cognitive dissonance

He is marrying the right family then-One of Deannas sisters listed the Godfather as a favorite movie.She was 12. :shock:

Question: why register for Nutella?

Josh & Anna registered for candy...little did we know of his food addiction at the time. Maybe the Nutella is a sign of things to come for Deanna? Surely food has been restricted in her home growing up. She may go food-crazy a la Josh (to the extend that their limited funds will allow.) And several packages of Sharpies...bizarre. I think FJ should get together and send them a Costco shelving unit.

Normally I hate to see these kids get married, but compared to Deanna's home life, this guy would have to be straight up abusive to be a worse option than staying on her shelf. Here's hoping that they actually get along and manage to eke out a happy life together. And who knows, maybe she has been secretly chafing against her parent's beliefs all along!

I can hope.

:lol: :lol:

Gives a new meaning to "left on the shelf"!

The registries do seem more reasonable than the Munck/Maxwell selection, but still a few strange things. Four sets of colored sharpies and some pens. Also 2 french presses, a drip coffeemaker, and a keurig :?

And a pencil sharpener and two dining room tables? Until Josh, I had never heard of registering for food. Registering for ballpoint pens seems odd.

This is the polar opposite of the Maxwell registry. Why can't fundies just be normal?

This is the polar opposite of the Maxwell registry. Why can't fundies just be normal?

But then who would we snark on??

Weeeeelllll, if they were normal they probably wouldn't be fundies I don't think. :)

As far as the current generation getting married, I think possibly we're seeing the result of sheltering the kids too much and keeping them removed from "the world" and life experience. They only know the few, if any, registries that they've seen from close friends and relatives. If those have been odd and peculiar in comparison to the rest of the world, then they won't have a clue how to do better.

Archived