IGNORED

Sweet Jesus, now they pray extra when walking

fundiefan

Sarah updated. Apparently, Anna decided that their walking time would be a good time to pray. Not instead of personal prayer time but in addition to it. Dear god, doesn't the poor deity get tired of the Maxwells constant chatter in his ear? Of course this praying reddems their time, because we all know that any time spent idle - when did walking become idle time? - is a waste and must be filled with prayer to the LORD. And, what do you know, this extra prayer time has already yielded many answers.

When, exactly, do they not pray? When does god get a break from the demands and needs of the Maxwells?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope they pray with their eyes open. I wouldn't want them to bump into a tree or wander in front of a speeding automobile.

"Friday night, the wood floor were begun to be laid."...

It seems to me they should start paying for an adequate education.

"Friday night, the wood floor were begun to be laid."

My brain, it hurts.

Unfortunately I guess the floor was the only thing that got laid that night.

Maybe she just found a way to be alone? "Hey, if I tell dad that I'm praying, he'll let me walk around the block alone!"

Praying for a way out?

All I know is that the obsessive praying they do cannot be healthy. It's questionable whether it's even sane.

It's called "religious scrupulosity." It's a form of obsessive-compulsive disorder.

Maybe she just found a way to be alone? "Hey, if I tell dad that I'm praying, he'll let me walk around the block alone!"

That was my first thought too.

That was my first thought too.

Nope -- she is not walking alone.

Anna recently had the idea for us girls to pray for part of our walk. This is not instead of our personal prayer times but an “extra.†It has been a precious, sweet time of lifting our hearts up to the Lord. In addition, it truly has been a way to “redeem the time,†and we still have time to fellowship together after we are done praying.

I would be willing to bet the daughters are not permitted to go for a walk alone.

Maybe she just wanted some quiet time. If she says she's praying then Sarah and Mary can't talk to her.

Those girls spend every moment of every day together, I could understand her wanting to be alone in her own head, since she's never allowed to physically be alone.

God must be sick to death of the Maxwells bothering him constantly and urging their followers to bother him on their behalf constantly. Maybe if they left him alone and simply enjoyed their privileged western world existence he would have the time and energy to help the people in the world who really need it.

"Friday night, the wood floor were begun to be laid."

My brain, it hurts.

Seconded. That has to be one of her worst, and that's saying something. :doh:

I hope they pray with their eyes open. I wouldn't want them to bump into a tree or wander in front of a speeding automobile.

Doesn't she realize that she's risking the lives of those around her when she prays in a crosswalk/other crowded areas?

The only person I've known to pray while walking is a nun, and in her case it was kind of part of her job description....

Reminds me of the oldjoke--can I smoke while praying? oh no, that would be a sacrilege

Can I pray while smoking? of course, that would be a blessing.

Maybe she just wanted some quiet time. If she says she's praying then Sarah and Mary can't talk to her.

Those girls spend every moment of every day together, I could understand her wanting to be alone in her own head, since she's never allowed to physically be alone.

God must be sick to death of the Maxwells bothering him constantly and urging their followers to bother him on their behalf constantly. Maybe if they left him alone and simply enjoyed their privileged western world existence he would have the time and energy to help the people in the world who really need it.

I bet they are not even allowed to keep their prayers private

I've always figured that God has a spam filter.

Wow. So well said. These people have no clue how most of the world lives.

I've always figured that God has a spam filter.

:laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling:

:clap:

I just can't get past all the fundie-speak: "...our families got together and had a wonderful time fellowshipping with each other in the LORD." Can't they just say they had a wonderful time visiting? And this: "Through prayer and other affirmations, God has amazingly put together the date of August 18th for our wedding." No, you just checked your calendars and found a free weekend.

:roll:

The only person I've known to pray while walking is a nun, and in her case it was kind of part of her job description....

The Maxwell girls would have more freedoms in the convent.

The Maxwell girls would have more freedoms in the convent.

Terrifyingly, based on my (admittedly limited) knowledge of the life of modern nuns, that is true.

Don't they ever just...run out of stuff to pray about?

An excellent question. I guess they just pray about their own family, the Elderly, and conferences ("that hearts would be open to the Lord," etc.), over and over and over again.

Archived