IGNORED

Sweet Jesus, now they pray extra when walking

fundiefan

I can appreciate the value of alone-time for prayer, meditation, reflection or what have you. I don't pray, but I always make time for myself and use it for a variety of purposes, all of them refreshing, rejuvenating and soul-cleansing. That time is very special to me. But considering the Maxwells can't have a pee without praying first and they're seemingly NEVER alone, what could this extra prayer time possibly do for them? What makes THIS extra time special? Do they have to talk about their prayers later? Is one sister a designated tattler who reports back to Daddy if one of their prayers don't measure up?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous

I honestly can't see any of the Maxwells owning an iPod or Sarah having the ability to pray as she would like. I suspect its group prayer as prescribed by Daddy Maxwell.

Yup, if Sarah cried when Christopher got enagaged, she is probably quite devastated right now, so it would be convenient for Steve if God laid it on his heart for Anna to suggest that they STFU whinging about SAHDaughterhood and just PRAY MOAR. :shock:

Sad, but most likely true. Has Sarah been brainwashed into believing that her lack of a "prince charming" is due to her lack of prayer. I honestly wonder if there haven't been some nice guys who have inquired about courting her but were rejected by Daddy Maxwell. Its so very very sad that a woman who seems to have life still in her is being emotionally crushed by her parents. I think her Mother wants a companion in the house and doesn't care if she passes down the legacy of depression on to her daughter(s). And Daddy needs the control.

The whole situation is just so sad. Its so easy to tell her to just leave. But, this has been her whole life. SHe must be terrified of the sinners and evil heathens in the outside world. So she remains in that little cult praying and praying some more that she'll have a family of her own. But, its not G-d keeping her from a family, its Daddy.

It pisses me off how the turn prayer into a perversion. As a way to manipulate their kids into telling them their secrets, their desires, their hopes and dreams. Isn't pray a time to speak alone with your personal deity? Not as a way for your parents to determine if you are letting Satan lead you astray and cause you have impure thoughts.

It is my understanding that pray/meditation/mindfullness/fasting has been done to help people find their own inner sense of self and happiness regardless of their circumstances. I don't necessarily pray while running, but I do mediate. I do this so I can have greater control of my emotions, namely anger. Sometimes I have thoughts. Sometimes I don't. I do know that I often have no desire to share these thoughts with anyone because it is my personal time. I would hate to be forced into talking about what I was thinking and being brainwashed enough to not even be able to entertain the thought of lying about my thought.

My heart aches for most of the Maxwell clan and others like them. Sex should not be seen as a shameful act, but I can't even begin to imagine how it is treated in that house. Young boys just gettting their first surges in hormones and they have to go to Steve to tell him about the impure acts of their trouser snakes and the sexy dreams, but dad she was wearing a tank top.

For some reason, I think it would be harder for pre-reversal Sarah to leave than it would be for one of post-reversal kids. Sarah's had a taste of life outside the Maxwell bubble but she's been brainwashed to believe that it's evil so that her memories of normal life are probably twisted and perverted by Steve's constant harangues. But for one of the kids like Mary, for example, maybe the unknown probably holds some kind of fascination and makes her curious what it must be like. Yes, she's been told it's evil but often that's not a deterrent but a lure. Sarah's smile may never reach her eyes, but when I look at Mary I see the same thing. Scratch the surface of those happy facades and it seems like there's a lot of sadness underneath.

My (used) copy of Keeping Our Children's Hearts just arrived. I'm kind of scared to read it...

I honestly can't see any of the Maxwells owning an iPod or Sarah having the ability to pray as she would like. I suspect its group prayer as prescribed by Daddy Maxwell.

They actually do own iPhones, they've shown up in pictures.

I suspect they probably have some Bible apps and that's about it (quite possibly with the parental controls on and locked by Steve-O) but...

I have a high school friend who is entering a convent in less than a month and I think she will have more freedom than the Maxwell girls. A is entering a cloistered community, but the women of her order still go to college, get masters degrees, and teach school. (She'll eventually get her masters in teaching while she's in the convent.) Sure, she will wear a habit and veil in about a year, so no pants for her, but she seems really happy with her decision. It's her decision to live a life of prayer and Mariam devotion - no one else made the decision for her.

Is she entering the order in Ann Arbor, MI?

For some reason, I think it would be harder for pre-reversal Sarah to leave than it would be for one of post-reversal kids. Sarah's had a taste of life outside the Maxwell bubble but she's been brainwashed to believe that it's evil so that her memories of normal life are probably twisted and perverted by Steve's constant harangues. But for one of the kids like Mary, for example, maybe the unknown probably holds some kind of fascination and makes her curious what it must be like. Yes, she's been told it's evil but often that's not a deterrent but a lure. Sarah's smile may never reach her eyes, but when I look at Mary I see the same thing. Scratch the surface of those happy facades and it seems like there's a lot of sadness underneath.

My (used) copy of Keeping Our Children's Hearts just arrived. I'm kind of scared to read it...

That book is disturbing on many levels. If it bothers you too much, you can always vent about it here or start a new thread. There are quite a few of us who have read it and will understand what you're going through. In a way, it's like reading the Pearls' book, except the Maxwells teach parents how to psychologically abuse their children instead of physically abusing them.

That book is disturbing on many levels. If it bothers you too much, you can always vent about it here or start a new thread. There are quite a few of us who have read it and will understand what you're going through. In a way, it's like reading the Pearls' book, except the Maxwells teach parents how to psychologically abuse their children instead of physically abusing them.

I think psychological or emotional abuse is more dangerous in the long run than physical abuse. It's harder to escape.

I think psychological or emotional abuse is more dangerous in the long run than physical abuse. It's harder to escape.

I completely agree with you. Plus, it seems like society in general is more concerned with and aware of physical abuse. Its really hard to get help for emotional abuse, especially when its religiously based.

I completely agree with you. Plus, it seems like society in general is more concerned with and aware of physical abuse. Its really hard to get help for emotional abuse, especially when its religiously based.

This. Religious abuse is devastating. I've never had a therapist who knew the first thing about dealing with it.

Archived