IGNORED

Lawson Bates

Guest LilaFowler

How many more years does Lawson get to coast on this "he worked hard to support his family" excuse?  

If he were in Nashville, singing on the sidewalk, or in a bar, or at Dollywood, I'd be all for him.  But I am sorry, he's not working very hard at his music, and he's not studying anything either (for example, does he ever make a reference to vocal or guitar lessons? no)

I'm not saying he should get married.  

But he's 24, not 18.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, HereticHick said:

How many more years does Lawson get to coast on this "he worked hard to support his family" excuse?  

If he were in Nashville, singing on the sidewalk, or in a bar, or at Dollywood, I'd be all for him.  But I am sorry, he's not working very hard at his music, and he's not studying anything either (for example, does he ever make a reference to vocal or guitar lessons? no)

But he's 24, not 18.

I just wonder how much of that though is solely up to him? 
I mean, I doubt we'll ever know for sure - but yeah, is it him choosing not to hire a vocal coach, and agent to help him out?  Or is it maybe his family saying they're "supportive", but also insisting he stays close, and only get to travel for gigs say for like two weeks out of the year?
As for Lawson's talent, I got some vocal training in high school for my various choirs (I did Glee style show choir, way fun!).   And when I listen to his singing, I do think he has some raw talent, but the best way I can describe it, is that he's too scared "to go there".  He wants to keep his emotions close to his vest, and look pretty when he's singing.  He's having a hard time projecting emotion into his songs, because he's trying not to use his whole voice/face/muscles (granted, some notes can make your face look a bit contorted - and I think that's exactly what he's thinking about when he's singing: "do I look good singing this note?").  I've never gotten the sense that he looses himself in the music/song, so sure he comes across as "pretty", but the singing has no depth.

^ I don't even know if that makes sense, but just my perspective as a fellow singer :)

On 11/20/2016 at 5:10 PM, habert said:

Not exactly related, but I was looking through Lawson's instagram and he sure doesn't seem to mind posting pics of himself sleeveless.

I think he likes making fundie girls quiver a bit...

Lawson loves the attention and dreaming that he has his pick of girls both fundie and non-fundie. He sees himself as more important than he is. 

6 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Lawson loves the attention and dreaming that he has his pick of girls both fundie and non-fundie. He sees himself as more important than he is. 

THIS.
But I really wonder how long they let him be single since it is quite obvious that modesty isn't his best quality. Maybe Gil is "saving" him for the point when the show is getting lesser attention.Lawson's wedding would draw a lot of attention and viewers!

15 hours ago, HereticHick said:

But he's 24, not 18.

I think much of the problem is the GotHard lifestyle. It basically keeps the adult children in this sense of 'arrested development' because they haven't been allowed to have the life experiences that have matured their peers. It makes sense that he acts like an 18 year old.

My boyfriend is just a few months older than Lawson, yet Mr LBE has a University degree and completed 2 study abroad experiences during his studies, he's currently living and working in another country, he's going to start a professional job when we move to Europe next year and he wants to do part time studies and a masters while working. He's travelled to other places. He's been able to have the experiences that make you more mature because his parents did what you're supposed to do....raise your kid and then let them go out into the world. 

But Lawson has basically been kept on a tight leash by his parents since he graduated from SOTDRT and while most 24 year olds have had life experiences, he's been micromanaged by Mom and Dad because they're super paranoid he might have sex as if a 24 year old man having sex is the WORST THING EVER. 

I agree Lawson is immature and I'm sure he'd be allowed to take singing lessons since his singing 'career' is a cash cow for his parents because it makes a storyline. But that considered,I can still understand why he is immature iykwim.  

He might have a lot of freedom by fundie standards, but by 'normal' standards, he is extremely sheltered for a 24 year old man.

^ lol, I haven't even clicked play, just see the screen shot of that video, and her face looks about what I imagine the rest of ours look like: "Like, why even?"  I think Lawson is getting a Napoleon complex, and beginning to try too hard :P

My eyes!!! I have been defrauded! I now must leave my husband and children and sacrafice some goats! Curse you lawson, this is all your fault!

4 minutes ago, Chevreuil said:

My eyes!!! I have been defrauded! I now must leave my husband and children and sacrafice some goats! Curse you lawson, this is all your fault!

Will we be invited to the ensuing goat-curry? :)

I gotta say that that picture of muscle-y Lawson does not one thing for me.  Zilch!  Nada!   In fact, it's a bit gross!

Lawson totally posted that as a "see Jinger. Look what you're missing out on"
I'm sure she cares deeply as she is sitting down sipping coffee in the Southern Hemisphere where she's honeymooning with her ex-pro athlete husband.

I think lawson also likes the idea of being the freakshow heartthrob. I wonder if he just grabbed one of the kids for the video so he could show off his muscles under the guise of "oh no, the video was to show how cute it is she is copying me! Not me wanting to show off, i swear! #sohumble"

37 minutes ago, Chevreuil said:

I think lawson also likes the idea of being the freakshow heartthrob. I wonder if he just grabbed one of the kids for the video so he could show off his muscles under the guise of "oh no, the video was to show how cute it is she is copying me! Not me wanting to show off, i swear! #sohumble"

More like #humblebrag. Really he knows what he's doing. He wants the fundie maidens to lose pieces of their hearts to him. 

Is there any way to find out how many of Lawson's singles/albums actually sell?  In hard numbers?  Would be really interesting.  Jill etc. all have like a million followers on Instagram.  Lawson has 128,000.  All those swooning maidens could buy a single or the whole album making for not embarrassing sales numbers.

On 26/11/2016 at 3:38 AM, trustworthy said:

Is there any way to find out how many of Lawson's singles/albums actually sell?  In hard numbers?  Would be really interesting.  Jill etc. all have like a million followers on Instagram.  Lawson has 128,000.  All those swooning maidens could buy a single or the whole album making for not embarrassing sales numbers.

I'm unsure how to find out the number of units sold but most figures these days also include streaming numbers so I went to my Spotify to check and Lawson has had 14,619 individual listeners this month (more than what I was expecting).

If this is only a fraction of the money listeners he is getting (he'll get some more from other streaming services and of course album sales), his album is not doing too badly.

On 11/28/2016 at 2:21 PM, MorningMist said:

I'm unsure how to find out the number of units sold but most figures these days also include streaming numbers so I went to my Spotify to check and Lawson has had 14,619 individual listeners this month (more than what I was expecting).

If this is only a fraction of the money listeners he is getting (he'll get some more from other streaming services and of course album sales), his album is not doing too badly.

I don't know if the numbers are still the same or not but Spotify was payin 0.003 per listen. That's only 43.86 for the month. 

4 hours ago, grandmadugger said:

I don't know if the numbers are still the same or not but Spotify was payin 0.003 per listen. That's only 43.86 for the month. 

He has to do A LOT of additional law mowing to feed a quiver full of blessings on that income. But maybe he really makes some money from the purchased CDs.

Yeah, it's really bad on Spotify for artists (I think that's why TSwift doesn't appear on there), Apple Music is a lot better for paying.

I would assume most people would be buying Lawson's album anyway.

Ugh, that video reminds me of all the douchey guys at the gym who hog all the weights because they want to impress the ladies by doing 27 sets of curls with horrible form.

There is zero chance Lawson is making money as a musician. Self produced cds are very expensive to record and recouping the costs is impossible. The way artists make money is through performing. Which he doesn't do. 

I am developing an irrational hatred of the damn headphones Lawson wears in every Instagram pic now. He has them in multiple colors.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived