IGNORED

Lawson Bates

Guest LilaFowler

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He has a nice voice, but he started off flat. He could use some vocal training (actually, all of them could) but he has some raw talent.

He sounds better than Erin, Alyssa, and Tori when they sing bluegrass. They sound way too high pitched and nasally.

I think so, too, even with all the flat notes he hit. I think the Bateses are much more musically talented than the Duggar family.

I think a FJ rescue crew should be sent to eastern TN, rescue/deprogram this young man before he goes to seed like his older brother. Put him in some proper clothes, feed him a balanced diet and get him involved in some 19 year old activities (he looked like he had a pretty good vertical jump in Smuggar's instagram pics). Let him play volleyball and basketball in shorts!

IOW, FREE LAWSON!

I think a FJ rescue crew should be sent to eastern TN, rescue/deprogram this young man before he goes to seed like his older brother. Put him in some proper clothes, feed him a balanced diet and get him involved in some 19 year old activities (he looked like he had a pretty good vertical jump in Smuggar's instagram pics). Let him play volleyball and basketball in shorts!

IOW, FREE LAWSON!

I'd add buy him some condoms. :dance:

One step at a time. The poor kid has a lot of de-programming to do before he can even LOOK at a girl without guilt.

I think so, too, even with all the flat notes he hit. I think the Bateses are much more musically talented than the Duggar family.

I agree with this. I don't think anyone has ever told the Duggars that they suck when it comes to the playing their violins and singing. That day will come and it won't be pretty for the Duggars to hear it. There have been several speaking events or conferences in which the Duggars play instruments and sing. There will be an event in which someone will heckle them or tell them they suck. Another event that I think that will happen is that some church will refuse to hire the Duggars to speak and perform at an event because their poor musicianship and their poor speaking skills. There are some churches that require that videos or audio of performances be sent to them before final decisions are made. I can see Boob and Mullet's egos being crushed when a church or organization tells them that they have no interest in having the Duggar snowflakes perform.

I can maybe see the Bateses getting performing gigs at churches and I can see people liking them. I have noticed that some of the Bates kids don't have the arrogance that some of the Duggar kids have. Michaela and Tori don't seem smug like Jill, Jessa, and Jinger. Lawson seems to have good personality compared to Smuggar,Josiah, and John David. I think Smuggar is the worst one, but both Josiah and John David come off as a bit smug and arrogant.

I think he has some natural talent, though I wonder if they won't nurture it because singing isn't "manly" enough, or he needs to focus financially supporting his parents, brothers and sisters. Lawson Bates is a perfect example of wasted potential by fundie families and his singing is another example.

I agree pretty much all of the Bates family seems more musically talented naturally than all of the Duggar family. I always hated about the Duggars that all the children are supposed to learn the same instrument in the same way and on the same timeline. Children are supposed to have individual skills and interests, but I guess they're not allowed.

Wasn't Lawson filming a Christian western film last year? I wonder how that's going for him or if that has been put on halt since he's too busy giving out his hard earned money to his siblings and parents.

I think he has some natural talent, though I wonder if they won't nurture it because singing isn't "manly" enough, or he needs to focus financially supporting his parents, brothers and sisters. Lawson Bates is a perfect example of wasted potential by fundie families and his singing is another example.

I agree pretty much all of the Bates family seems more musically talented naturally than all of the Duggar family. I always hated about the Duggars that all the children are supposed to learn the same instrument in the same way and on the same timeline. Children are supposed to have individual skills and interests, but I guess they're not allowed.

I've always hated that too. I bet at least one or possibly more of those kids hates playing the violin or the piano. Some of the boys do play the guitar and I think one of the girls plays the harp. I know Jana plays the keyboard. Outside of the violin, harp, piano the Duggar kids wouldn't be allowed to play anything else or take music lessons from an outside source. There is the possibility that some of the Duggar kids could benefit from voice lessons, but again it would never happen. Boob would never shill out money if one of the kids asked for voice lessons or if one of the kids asked about playing the trumpet, clarinet, flute, etc.

James has been pictured with a trumpet. Who knows if he's actually getting lessons. I thought instruments that required the mouth were verboten in Gothardland (too sexual). :roll:

• 1 year later...

Lawson Bates' new country gospel CD is available to preview here:

cdbaby.com/cd/lawsonbates

Country music sends me screaming in the other direction, so I have no opinion on the quality of his music.

Not my sort of music and, while the Bates accent makes me giggle when they talk, it makes me grind my teeth when they sing.

However ... I really hope it goes well for him. All musicians hope to release an album but most of us talk about it and hope somebody will organise it for us. I admire Lawson for putting his own money up to get his album recorded.

Not my sort of music and, while the Bates accent makes me giggle when they talk, it makes me grind my teeth when they sing.

However ... I really hope it goes well for him. All musicians hope to release an album but most of us talk about it and hope somebody will organise it for us. I admire Lawson for putting his own money up to get his album recorded.

I'm surprised he has any money left after paying for a wedding!

I'm not familiar with country music, so I may be all wrong, but most of the songs on Lawson's CD sound like children's songs. There's nothing wrong with that. I have several friends who are Jewish educators and teach via music (pre-school, religious school, camps, youth groups, etc.). I guess what I'm trying to say, is Lawson may be targeting the wrong audience. I'm not sure adults will be rushing out to buy his CD, but it may be perfect for children.

Frankly, Southern Raised (the Reith's gospel bluegrass quartet) is much better than the Bates. Check out http://www.youtube.com/user/SouthernRai ... ture=watch --especially their acappella "I Need Thee Every Hour" at

I see why Zach was so smitten with Sarah Reith.

This shows you how amateurish the Duggars are in comparison.

What I would like to see is Lawson taking his money and run. He's spent enough supporting his Mom, Dad and sibs.

Great the he did the CD, but hate to think that any proceeds are going to support the freeloaders that are his family.

I'm not familiar with country music, so I may be all wrong, but most of the songs on Lawson's CD sound like children's songs. There's nothing wrong with that. I have several friends who are Jewish educators and teach via music (pre-school, religious school, camps, youth groups, etc.). I guess what I'm trying to say, is Lawson may be targeting the wrong audience. I'm not sure adults will be rushing out to buy his CD, but it may be perfect for children.

This. The music is very "plain," even for country music. Very easy chords, no real complicated key changes or anything. Its just... boring... I dont see any adult humming along while driving to/from church listening to this CD.

This. The music is very "plain," even for country music. Very easy chords, no real complicated key changes or anything. Its just... boring... I dont see any adult humming along while driving to/from church listening to this CD.

Isn't that the only kind of music Gothardism allows? Anything complicated or fun would be evil!

I don't care for country music, but checked it out anyway. He has a nice voice but the music does seem plain. OTOH, I'm sure he doesn't want to encourage any bouncing, dancing, or sinful thoughts.

The last thing I want to hear is a Bates singing. It will literally make me sick and give my cat a hissy fit. I don't particularly like Country music, but I do respect it.

What I would like to see is Lawson taking his money and run. He's spent enough supporting his Mom, Dad and sibs.

Great the he did the CD, but hate to think that any proceeds are going to support the freeloaders that are his family.

I was appalled to hear that Lawson was selling his CDs outside during Erin and Chad's wedding, and then it occurred to me that he might be trying to raise money to feed his family. Still pretty awful that Kelly and Gil aren't feeding their own, and are instead relying upon the Bank of Lawson.

He actually has a decent voice but nothing on this CD seems to challenge it, it is all cookie cutter the same,,,,,and I've seen way better pics of him on his family's blog!

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived