IGNORED

Lawson Bates

Guest LilaFowler

Do fundie women actually think Lawson is anything but a vain show boat who whores himself out for female attention? He reeks of desperation! One more thing about fundie culture I don't understand :pb_rollseyes:

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I look at Lawson, in many respects I just see a college age boy acting like college age boys sometimes do. He doesn't seem bad-hearted through and through. 

Is he loving the attention? Probably. But there are worse crimes :P

On 7/9/2017 at 2:55 AM, MissKnowItAll said:

Do fundie women actually think Lawson is anything but a vain show boat who whores himself out for female attention? He reeks of desperation! One more thing about fundie culture I don't understand :pb_rollseyes:

I think most of the fundy women get it--the sheltered fundy teen and tween girls, however, think he's the bees knees. 

@Seculardaisy,  there are some people that don't pronounce the "r" after the "p".  I don't know that it's so much a Southernism as it is lazy speech. Anyway, his misspelling is a SODRT fail.  

@Seculardaisy - I want to be reasonable about his spelling mistake because some social media platforms do not allow you to edit the post. I know you can on Instagram, but I don't know if you can edit a story. If he unintentionally spelled it this way and didn't realize this until after he posted it, that's fine. If he did it to just spell it stupid to act stupid, then it's stupid.

Here's what comes to mind for "interPeter":

5LBqC0Bb.png

On 8/3, Lawson has his music video coming out. This is the music video where Sadie Robertson will be featured in. The fundies are losing their ever loving minds because they assume just because he takes a picture with a girl, it means he's going with her. He will never do that. He relies on being the single guy with a hot bod.

On 7/21/2017 at 6:36 PM, ColeJo said:

On 8/3, Lawson has his music video coming out. This is the music video where Sadie Robertson will be featured in. The fundies are losing their ever loving minds because they assume just because he takes a picture with a girl, it means he's going with her. He will never do that. He relies on being the single guy with a hot bod.

So from what I gather from the video preview on his social media, he gets to play at being a secular high school student, playing [American] football and  dating a pants wearing female.

52 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

So from what I gather from the video preview on his social media, he gets to play at being a secular high school student, playing [American] football and  dating a pants wearing female.

Everything he's ever wanted to do but that his delusional parents forbade him from doing. That clip as normal as it is to us will probably have fundie tongues wagging and fundie babes salivating

I personally think from that tiny snippet that he's a far better actor than singer. He should probably spare the talented people of Nashville and just move out to LA for a solid break from his current lifestyle :pb_lol:

I find the snippet of the music video really interesting. There are two possible conclusions to be drawn:

1. All of these relatively secular activities (playing football, going to high school, dating a less fundie girl) are things that Lawson wished that he could have experienced, and is living vicariously through this sort of video to get to experience some version of it.

2. He knows that if he wants to have success in country music, he can't just draw from his own incredibly limited experiences, so he chooses to present a more traditional all-American image in an effort to sell records.

Or it could honestly be a little of both. Regardless, I see Lawson as one of the ones who has the potential to move away from the family line. Probably not publicly or in a confrontational way, but his interests don't seem like the mesh naturally with a fundie lifestyle and he's already been granted so much more freedom than his siblings, which gives him more room to see the world independently and break the rules without anyone being any the wiser. I just can't see him settling down with the typical submissive fundie wife and popping about a bunch of kids.

I agree with @front hugs > duggs - his acting in that little snippet is actually quite decent. I'm an actor and have a BFA in drama, have been doing shows for years, and I've worked with people with less acting ability than him. The only thing is that when the video cuts to him playing the guitar, he goes stiff and robotic again. I think he focuses too much on what he's doing and not enough on being in the moment and actually performing. Emotion is really important. 

As for the song... I was quite surprised that it was so secular sounding. It definitely seems like he's trying to appeal to a larger audience than the fundie base.

That being said, 'my heart won't let me past the past'... talk about giving away precious heart pieces! damn!

And Sadie Robertson is possibly the most annoying speaker in the history of the world - I stalked her on instagram because I had no idea who she was. What is with the overly emphatic teenage girls suddenly becoming experts in theology and speaking to the masses? Get a degree, kid, stop riding on the coattails of your problematic father's fame.

It's Lawson's 25th birthday, and Kelly and Carlin posted about it. I think Carlin's picture is from the same day as one of the defrauding mudding pictures from last year?

Spoiler

Who do we think paid for his music video? I don't think UP would. I've always thought that if his "record label' actually wanted to/had the ability to promote Lawson, they would require him to perform more than he does (which isn't very often).

On 7/27/2017 at 1:27 PM, HereticHick said:

Who do we think paid for his music video? I don't think UP would. I've always thought that if his "record label' actually wanted to/had the ability to promote Lawson, they would require him to perform more than he does (which isn't very often).

I don't know who paid for the music video, but Johnson Marketing and Media seems to be the one that could have done it. They are the ones that do the BUB promos and they also designed the family's website. I don't think he is officially signed anywhere. While he records at Skaggs Family Records, he is not signed with them.

When I saw that video it made me sad, I think Lawson wishes that's how his life could have been. Gil played football and got the high school experience and I'm sure the parents talk about it. I hope he leaves and lives the life he wants not what he thinks he's supposed to. 

Alright guys Lawson's new video came out today and I hit play fully ready to snark on it and I'm pretty ashamed to say I didn't hate it.

The song and video really weren't bad at all. :ETONNER:

I do have some thoughts though:

1) Past the past is a cheesy line

2) This song sure has a lot of "heart string" issues. It's all about not being able to get over a GF which definitely goes against their courtship model.

3) This poor guy clearly feels like he missed out on what public school and dating has to offer. 

I was trying to think about how he learned so much about high school but I'm assuming it's from his parents. That's so sad that they could never have the experience.

I don't know about the video. I think what annoys me is that there is so much included in this video that the Bates disapprove of, such as;

- going on dates in stead of courting

- gf/bf situation

- girls in jeans

Etc.

But that apparently does not matter anymore once is fame is waiting for you around the corner. If you don't approve, then don't associate yourself with those things.

OK. It was a decent music video. It was decent enough to where I just saw it as a country music video. I don't really have anything bad to say about it. All I can say about the high school experience is that it is easier if you're a jock, not a geeky person who was emotionally abused by her "best friends". I can see how someone can miss out, but those years had no good in them for me.

17 minutes ago, SuhrEnity said:

I'm so ashamed to say that I actually kind of liked that video. Damn you Lawson.

I think we are all a bit ashamed so far.

1 minute ago, ColeJo said:

I think we are all a bit ashamed so far.

We all need some time in the prayer closet with Rufus...

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived