IGNORED

Lawson Bates

Guest LilaFowler

It's better (way better!) than anything I've seen from him so far. His voice sounds much better. Definitely wouldn't pass any of the music checks in IFB churches I was in growing up! This isn't just country (twangy) sounding vocals, there's definitely drums similar to what you would hear in the music of any country artist.

I know Lawson can be pretty unpopular but I'm sorta feeling for him. He loves country music and maybe he has some talent after all, but he also loves his faith and his family. If he follows his music career dreams, he has to leave what he has been taught is the only true way to live your faith (if you really want God to love you mostest) and risks losing the relationship that he has with his family. I could only say to him that his relationship with his family is going to change anyway as new members are added through marriage and birth. It is hard, but it isn't going to ever be like it was when you were all kids. And I think that with this video you've really decided that you personally don't have a problem with a beat in your music. So decide to go all in on the music. You can do it without leaving what is important to you about your faith. Most people are amazingly gracious if you just say, "I don't drink, but go ahead" or "I'm not comfortable with this personally." 

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did anyone else just think it was so sad that he wrote this football song because he'd always wished he could play?  Like he wrote himself a song of the high school experience he'd wished he could have when in reality he was mowing lawns and sitting around his parent's dining room table? Oh and the gushing over Sadie between Nathan and Lawson. Good god, these are grown men! They see a pretty girl and they are those high school boys he's playing. His voice sounded better than usual because they'd clearly fixed it in studio.  Spent some money on it.  I was sad for him in this episode. 

I'm looking to be the odd man out here, but I honestly did not like it. I am already biased in the fact that I'm not a fan of country music, but I found the whole music video to be incredibly cheesy and cliche. His voice sounded better than normal, but this is also a dub over with audio tuners, etc. He is not singing live here.

As to what everyone else is saying, this almost felt like a breakup song with his childhood. Kelly and Gil should be ashamed. Not to mention, pick and choose your values much? So when did it become ok to pretend you are dating and playing football? Either talk the talk AND walk the walk, or get out. Bah! Gotta bow down to making that $$$$.

That video just made me sad. I'm not a fan of country, but it was OK to listen through. The video production was OK, as well.

What made me sad was how much it drove home that Lawson didn't have a childhood that he obviously wishes he had. I'm not just talking about football. There's all the other parts of going to school dances, numerous extracurricular activities, and having your first boyfriend/girlfriend and going to the movies on your first date. Hell, even just going to a public school with all different types of class options can seem amazing if you never were given chance.

Lawson had to mow lawns to support his family, because his parents refused to stop having kids or find careers that supported them all.

It doesn't excuse their shitty beliefs, but it does make me value my own childhood/family even more.

I am also on team "I actually kinda feel sorry for Lawson even though I would probably find him really annoying if I ever met him." 

Life dealt him a pretty crappy hand. I hope he tries playing it better in the future.

On his story on Instagram this morning it showed Lawson, Nathan, and Trace all getting ready to go to Central America on a medical mission.  They were all dressed up. Must be time to go meet spouses....

I put this on the Lawson thread too but Lawson's Instagram story showed Trace, Nathan, and Lawson all dressed up apparently getting ready to go on a medical mission in Central America. What is a medical mission? And this is pretty much how they meet spouses, right? 

46 minutes ago, BeccaGrim said:

On his story on Instagram this morning it showed Lawson, Nathan, and Trace all getting ready to go to Central America on a medical mission.  They were all dressed up. Must be time to go meet spouses....

Just to clarify for everyone the story says the Philippines rather than Central America. 

As for the Lawson music video. Disclaimer as I tend to love country music. I liked it and he sounded good. But I couldn't help feel it was a serenade to the childhood/teenage years and opportunities he wishes he could have had. It's very very sad.

I'm not a big fan of country music so I have to laugh at the story Lawson's music video is trying to tell. If his character wanted to concentrate on football and getting into college then, by all means, he should do that. If Sadie's character wants a life outside of football then it's okay for them to break up and pursue different interests. They're only in high school ffs, exploring different paths is what they're supposed to do! But, of course, once his football dreams are over look who shows back up.

On another note, I sometimes get the feeling that Lawson will never truly be interested in a fundie maiden sycophant. I think he likes the attention of his fans but I bet the kind of girl that catches his eye would be one who is NOT gushing all over his music and biceps and fame. It would be more of a challenge that way, and a different kind of stroke to his ego if he could win her.

12 hours ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

Just to clarify for everyone the story says the Philippines rather than Central America. 

As for the Lawson music video. Disclaimer as I tend to love country music. I liked it and he sounded good. But I couldn't help feel it was a serenade to the childhood/teenage years and opportunities he wishes he could have had. It's very very sad.

I'm sorry! I misread. Yes, Phillippines. 

14 hours ago, melon said:

I thought they were going on a mission trip to The Phillipines.

So we need to keep an eye on Ashley Sayler for any signs of going on the same trip!

I was just having a lurk at Fundy twitters and came across this from Lawson. Aimed at Derick perhaps?

IMG_0281.PNG

Says the family who stopped Erin from attending a normal college because of having to rub shoulders with green-haired heathens, and who actively protest against denying women their right to choose, among so many other things. I don't get this fundie "loving others" schtick when they're so against anything that goes against their rigidly controlled lifestyle and beliefs. 

I was really pissed off at KellyJo when she was singing and swaying to Lawson's song during the video shoot.  Major hypocrisy for Gil & KellyJo.   They have  denied their  son the  opportunity, even the option, to attend high school, play organized sports,  have a high school, young romance.     YET they are fine with him making a video of  living those experiences   :angry-cussingblack:

I agree with other posters, that  for Lawson this song and video wasn't about the loss of a girl friend or a football career, he has never experienced that.   I believe this song/  video was about the loss of never had the opportunity for those life experiences.  :(

The Bates kids could have excelled in  high school,  experiencing proms, student government, organized sports, music programs, drama, creative arts and academics.

I never cared for Lawson as I thought he was very smug asshat but he is growing on me.  

Kelly Jo & Gil, give your younger kids the option of attending school, send them to a Christian School !   The two little boys could really use the structure & discipline of a classroom setting.  Maybe your young teens would know what Oral Hygiene is and your girls would learn proper grammar if they attended school !    

Having a song with a beat is an interesting little worldly shift. If he keeps this up I'm positive the line between swaying and dancing will blur eventually.

If it is an homage to his teenage years that could have been, then that's really freakin' sad. Unfortunately, I think it's just as likely a cash grab, or could even be aiming to have a message of "LOOK HOW PAINFUL AND PETTY SECULAR DATING AND GOALS ARE!!" 

As for music skill, he does seem to be improving, at least on the production front. I really don't know or care much about country music, but from that distant vantage point, I'd say his voice comes off pretty professional sounding. I do like his guitar playing though.

Oh Lawson.

Apologies if the following photo has already been posted (I thought I saw it somewhere, but that could have been from looking at Bates social media)

Move aside, Lawson! When did Trace and Nathan get so hot?!?

Now that that's off my chest, I feel wrong for admitting it. Off to the prayer closet to repent.

Am I only one to find it odd that Lawson "drops" a new video/song and then immediately goes off on a mission trip, instead of doing any promotion or performances?

Do aspiring performers not visit radio stations anymore, etc?

So Lawson has on his "Story" on Instagram (not the pictures we can save) a video of them at the airport in the Philippines.  He says to Carlin to say Hello (which she does) and then swings the camera around stopping on Trace and himself.  There is another girl there and she says something like "don't get me" and he moves the camera too fast to see who it is. Did anyone else see?  

5 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Am I only one to find it odd that Lawson "drops" a new video/song and then immediately goes off on a mission trip, instead of doing any promotion or performances?

the lord will do it all for him 

12 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

It must be what @nst has said.  Lots of performers would at least do a few club dates and most would do an actual tour.  

Just now, PennySycamore said:

It must be what @nst has said.  Lots of performers would at least do a few club dates and most would do an actual tour.  

maybe he is not allowed due to religion....so he has to do it the way he was taught.  Then he really won't be successful that way 

56 minutes ago, BeccaGrim said:

So Lawson has on his "Story" on Instagram (not the pictures we can save) a video of them at the airport in the Philippines.  He says to Carlin to say Hello (which she does) and then swings the camera around stopping on Trace and himself.  There is another girl there and she says something like "don't get me" and he moves the camera too fast to see who it is. Did anyone else see?  

I'm ashamed to admit I watched it a few times and even tried to slow it down to see who that was. She looked tan with curly hair. I'm wondering if thats Ashley.

4 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

I'm ashamed to admit I watched it a few times and even tried to slow it down to see who that was. She looked tan with curly hair. I'm wondering if thats Ashley.

I did the same darn thing. I think it sounds like Ashley too. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived