IGNORED

New mega-family show on Nat Geo

IReallyAmHopewell

I'm puzzled about the whole discussion about making bread because it is cheaper.

All my local supermarkets sell fresh bread at $1/loaf. It is a little bit more expensive at the bakery but the bread is much nicer. Day old bread at the bakery is 75c/loaf. Does it really work out cheaper than this to bake at home? I always thought the point to baking your own was that it taste better, not that it was cheaper. (This is not snark - I am genuinely curious.)

As for this family, the fact they go to school is going to make a huge difference to the children. This is not just 2 parents raising 14 children. It is 2 parents + a community raising 14 children. Still not ideal IMO but better than the Duggar/Bates/Jeub, etc, situation.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm puzzled about the whole discussion about making bread because it is cheaper.

I have done some research, and depending on where you live it is usually only marginally cheaper to make your own bread, when you factor in ingredients, electricity, cost of product etc. However, this is also based on value bread, which probably isn't very nutritious. My personal opinion is that the convenience of purchasing store bought bread outweighs whatever minor cost benefits you receive from making your own, especially with a family that large. While I make my own a lot of the time, I definitely wouldn't want to do it for 16 people. More power to the bread makers and canners of this world, I am just not too good at that kind of thing.

I wasn't sure where to post this, since I can't open new threats yet, but recently there was a short documentary on a quiverfull family on German TV. It's the Wilson family who have a farm called Full Quiver in VA. Here it is: fullquiverfarm.com

For those who are interested (I hope you can access it from outside of Europe as well):

http://www.spiegel.tv/filme/quiverfull-familie/

Here is the article:

http://www.spiegel.de/panorama/gesellsc ... 69800.html

All my local supermarkets sell fresh bread at $1/loaf. It is a little bit more expensive at the bakery but the bread is much nicer. Day old bread at the bakery is 75c/loaf. Does it really work out cheaper than this to bake at home? I always thought the point to baking your own was that it taste better, not that it was cheaper. (This is not snark - I am genuinely curious.)

As for this family, the fact they go to school is going to make a huge difference to the children. This is not just 2 parents raising 14 children. It is 2 parents + a community raising 14 children. Still not ideal IMO but better than the Duggar/Bates/Jeub, etc, situation.

Depends where you live. I'm in Canada, we don't have the same kinds of grains subsidies you have in the states. A loaf of the cheapest store brand bread is usually $2 or more. The bakery outlet sells a loaf for $1.30 or so. I once figured that a loaf of my bread cost ~$.60 using superior ingredients to cheap store bought bread. We go through about 4 loaves a week, it makes a significant difference.

The day-old bakery places are great to go and check out before making any kind stuffing recipes!

Anyway, as long as dadtolots (I've already forgotten the family's name) and his wife are educating their kids, not enforcing gender-stereotyping and bounded choices on them and aren't shoving religion down anyone's throat with hellfire and damnation speeches I don't see anything inherently snarkable. Then again, I didn't see the show so I may be missing something. (Are the older kids raising the younger kids? Please say no.......)

The day-old bakery places are great to go and check out before making any kind stuffing recipes!

Anyway, as long as dadtolots (I've already forgotten the family's name) and his wife are educating their kids, not enforcing gender-stereotyping and bounded choices on them and aren't shoving religion down anyone's throat with hellfire and damnation speeches I don't see anything inherently snarkable. Then again, I didn't see the show so I may be missing something. (Are the older kids raising the younger kids? Please say no.......)

Dadtolots name is Dave Cason, his wife is Christi. From the specials they are educating their kids- they are all in public school; they are not enforcing gender-stereotyping -the oldest son was interested in becoming a baker. And they talked about paying the oldest daughter to babysit the younger kids when the parents had a date night. Overall for a mega-family they are relatively unsnarkable.

• 2 months later...

She's pregnant with #17, due in October.

Jessica (her eldest) had Jaedyn on Feb. 10th, so Jaedyn will probably end up with an aunt or uncle that's eight months younger than she is.

She's pregnant with #17, due in October.

Jessica (her eldest) had Jaedyn on Feb. 10th, so Jaedyn will probably end up with an aunt or uncle that's eight months younger than she is.

Where did you hear that?- it isn't on their blog. I'm surprised they would announce this early, she's already had one miscarriage since their last child was born in 2010.

Where did you hear that?- it isn't on their blog. I'm surprised they would announce this early, she's already had one miscarriage since their last child was born in 2010.

FB (Christi Sanders Cason). She added it to her timeline.

FB (Christi Sanders Cason). She added it to her timeline.

Thanks!

Archived