IGNORED

New mega-family show on Nat Geo

IReallyAmHopewell

We like to frequent smaller neighborhood (not chain) restaurants and apparently they did also. Not that we ate out a lot but both families with young children we'd be there at the similar times. They were just a huge impact on the small family owned Mexican place we really liked. The kids would be loud and running around and they'd keep the wait staff tied up helping them or getting extra or special things. Nothing out of the ordinary for a large group of kids so if they were at the Mexican place we'd go Chinese or vice versa.

We found it more difficult to keep our wilder child quietly in a seat when she could see these other kids not having the same rules also. It was easier to avoid it all. Nothing major.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Christi is addicted to babies the way Michelle Duggar is

I remember the Casons from KBTD. Christi annoyed me as much as Michelle does and for many of the same reasons--gross immaturity, baby addiction and LACK OF FORESIGHT. I don't believe it's possible for so many kids so close in age to get enough attention. Christi's oldest daughter, Jessica seemed really checked out and I can't blame her.

At least the Casons don't give all their kids names beginning with the same letter or ending with -uh sounds like His Highness Chris Jeub the Jeub family does. Listening to the Jeubs' names is like being hypnotized.

Yet another brother and sister taking an engagement-style pic! What is with his hand on her leg? These are Christi's two eldest, Jessica and Chad.

25jf8s3.jpg

The Sam's club trip bothered me. Costco and Sam's club are rarely cheaper. I check a local couponing board that updates prices on food and maybe 2 or 3 out of 500 items is less expensive at costco/sam's. Just like other mega families, is it that hard to clip a few coupons? I have at least 20 different cereals in my pantry for less then $.75 a box. With the bread, if it gets eaten that quickly why not go to a second hand bakery? I don't live in a big city and we have three second hand bakeries and bread is .50 a loaf.

The whole excitement of a 5 bedroom home, it still didnt seem enough? Master and 4 kid rooms and one kid room was for the over 18's so it was still at least 4 kids per room. It is not like the bedrooms were Duggar size dorms. I have several neighbors with more then 10 kids but houses have 6-8 bedrooms. It is fine for 2 kids to share, maybe 3 but 4-5 , I just don't get how anyone child or teen could deal with the lack of personal space. What do they get a shoe box for personal belongings. They already had the one shared closet for 18 people that was meant for 1 person.

Watching my neighbors that have 6 or more kids and have one income I can see how it can be done. Last week Josh posted an instagram picture of his kids eating those cheap sugar freezer pops, they are 250 for $5.00 at our walmart. I see our neighborhood kids get them as a special treat, a whooping .02. My kids get a real fruit bar homemade or bought for about .25. The large family says well both our kids get "pops", our kids aren't missing out. It seems like the large families get used clothes donated to them, do their own haircuts, don't do alot if any sports , summer camps, and the most likely get free school lunch(my neighbor is a city attoney and has 6 kids and get reduced lunch). How much do they really spend on each kid? Mr. Cason appeared to have a good job with benefits so if his work provides healthcare, they get used/hand me down clothes, feed the kids, and buy some shared toys/video games what else do they really spend on? I might spend more on 2 kids between music lessons, sports, summer camps, new(on sale) clothes and shoes, books, haircuts, trips to museums, toys etc.

Very true, and I did not think of that. I agree, that is a very real possibility

Didn't watch the show, but if you could see the name of the brand then it's sponsored and they likely didn't pay a penny for it. It's advertisement. They buy or use the product on the show, the company gets their name in and the person gets a free product. You can tell by the focus on a name, be it a car, a toy or food. ;)

Yet another brother and sister taking an engagement-style pic! What is with his hand on her leg? These are Christi's two eldest, Jessica and Chad.

25jf8s3.jpg

Chad looks so much better now than he did on the KBTD special! He really seemed awkward then, and looks like he has grown into himself.

Didn't watch the show, but if you could see the name of the brand then it's sponsored and they likely didn't pay a penny for it. It's advertisement. They buy or use the product on the show, the company gets their name in and the person gets a free product. You can tell by the focus on a name, be it a car, a toy or food.

Actually, we paid for every bit of it. As far as what brands they allowed to be seen, I have no idea if they were advertised or not, I didn't pay attention to the commercials. As for the buying of name brands, we don't usually unless there is a really great sale and the savings is more than the bulk brands. Also we don't often shop Costco (not Sam's club), but they were the only ones that would allow the production company to film. We go to many different stores for different reasons, just depends on the sale, or coupons we have or the fact that some stores just carry certain products cheaper than anybody else.

With the bread, if it gets eaten that quickly why not go to a second hand bakery? I don't live in a big city and we have three second hand bakeries and bread is .50 a loaf.

We also will probably start making our own bread, we just never really had enough space in the old place to work a big operation like that. It was difficult enough to just manage a regular dinner with the tiny counter space and cramped quarters. There used to be several second hand and "outlet" bakery stores in our area, but they all closed. Believe me do we miss those!

How much do they really spend on each kid? Mr. Cason appeared to have a good job with benefits so if his work provides healthcare, they get used/hand me down clothes, feed the kids, and buy some shared toys/video games what else do they really spend on? I might spend more on 2 kids between music lessons, sports, summer camps, new(on sale) clothes and shoes, books, haircuts, trips to museums, toys etc.

I do have a good job, but pay for benefits like most folks. The kids do get hand me downs, but my wife buys new clothes every school year and at Christmas and whenever they are needed. There is nothing wrong with well maintained hand me downs. As for music lessons and such, whatever sport, activity or club the kids want to do, we do our best to make it happen. 6 of the kids have taken an interest in band and have all been in the band, Bailey played soccer for awhile, but decided it wasn't her sport. She's considering basketball for this year. We let them do what interests them, but don't force them into sports or activities just for the sake of keeping up with the Joneses. They get haircuts, books, shoes and toys as they need them. We take trips and vacations as much as possible. If you spend much more than I do on your two kids, then God bless you, you must be the one with the really great job!

Just thought some facts might fit well into the snark.

Dave Cason (dadtolots)

I see Mr. Cason payed us a visit and didn't get any attention from the hive.

:greetings-wavingyellow: Hi Dave!

That was a good dance around product placement. I'd love to see the fine print on the contract that covers the subject. :lol:

Eh, he will probably want to downplay it, but this was the Nov 2010 entry from their blog :

Why am I congratulating them? Why on the impending birth of their #16, of course! Christi has been in touch with the Jeubs for several years now, ever since we were first contacted about doing the TLC Kids by the Dozen show. Chris and Wendy did one of the first episodes and Christi emailed them about their experiences with filming the show and they were so gracious to answer all of her questions and their reassurances that the producers would be fair and decent went a long way toward convincing us to do it. Indeed it was a great experience. Therefore we not only want to congratulate them, but also thank them.

Thank you Chris and Wendy!!

Eh, he will probably want to downplay it, but this was the Nov 2010 entry from their blog :

It's pretty simple Cason could not afford to buy his family a larger home until teevee came along. These peeps are all fame whores.

The Sam's club trip bothered me. Costco and Sam's club are rarely cheaper. I check a local couponing board that updates prices on food and maybe 2 or 3 out of 500 items is less expensive at costco/sam's. Just like other mega families, is it that hard to clip a few coupons? I have at least 20 different cereals in my pantry for less then $.75 a box. With the bread, if it gets eaten that quickly why not go to a second hand bakery? I don't live in a big city and we have three second hand bakeries and bread is .50 a loaf.

What is a second hand bakery? I have never heard of that

What is a second hand bakery? I have never heard of that

A second hand bakery is a store that sells breads, pasteries, and other items that are a day or two old.

I guess I asked for it, coming onto a snark page and expecting myself to have the strength to not respond to each and every wrong statement, but apparently I can't resist.

It's pretty simple Cason could not afford to buy his family a larger home until teevee came along. These peeps are all fame whores.

Call me what you like, but the house was a done deal before we were ever called about doing the show. If you knew anything about these "documentary" type shows, you'd know they don't really pay anything. Just a small "appearance fee". If you wind up missing any work, (Jessica did) or have any other related expenses, it barely covers that. To this point, it's been just for fun, but it is rather intrusive, so if we were to do anything further, there would have to be a little bit more money in it or we wouldn't do it.

Give us some juicy deets on your buddy Chris Jeub.

You'll assume I'm "downplaying it" but I don't know Chris Jeub. As I said in the post, Christi emailed them about their experiences doing TV and they answered. Christi has communicated with Mrs. Jeub via some family forums that she used to frequent, and facebook, but we don't really know them. I know, I know, I congratulated them on their new baby! Well that must mean something, right? Because nobody ever congratulates strangers on big events in their lives over the internet, right?

That was a good dance around product placement. I'd love to see the fine print on the contract that covers the subject.

You'd be squinting really hard to see any fine print like that. There simply was no product placement. If some things that we buy happened to be from advertisers, then lucky for them. Or maybe they worked something out after the fact, I don't know. We certainly didn't use anything we wouldn't ordinarily buy.

I will never understand people like this family, who claim to be poor, yet continue to have child after child, and buy expensive cereal like Kashi... It just baffles me!

We never claimed to be poor, we only ever said that money was tight. Doesn't mean we're rich, but we're not poor.

Maybe it's useless to try and counter snark with facts, after all, I am going up against experts in bacon bra technology and such, but I just can't resist. Maybe I just like typing a lot.

What's next?

Hello Dave,

Chris Jeub has posted some disparaging marks against small families. Do you share his views against small families?

Black Hawk, what was your recipe for four loaves? I can only get two loaves out of any recipe that I make. My family eats both loaves the day they are made!

Hello Dave,

Chris Jeub has posted some disparaging marks against small families. Do you share his views against small families?

I hope he responds to this one.

Yo, Dave. This is a snark board. it's what we do. You don't have to go on the defensive because some snarkers were snarking. *shock and awe* you also don't have to go on the defensive because we didn't just accept everything you said without question...why should we? This is the internet. Like people never lie online. By the way, you came to visit us. Yes we were talking about your family, but firstly, you put them on tv. That puts you up for discussion, sorry that never occurred to you. Secondly, again, you came to us. No, we are not going to be lapping up every little word as if Justin Bieber had just appeared to chat on a Belieber fanboard.

Vintage Jen, thanks for the reminder. Of course I know that snark is your purpose, and yes I did come here knowing that. I’m cool with snark, and I do understand that most folks can’t fathom our family situation. I responded hastily after being on edge from reading remarks at another site that were full of some serious hate. My worst problem is with folks making definitive declarations as though they have any idea of my situation. My intention was to simply inform and I didn’t mean to offend. Of course, I could be lying to you, but I really have no reason to do so. And I don’t expect sycophantic worship, like Bieberites, even though I have a better haircut :lol: .

With “experiencedd†I was snarking back a bit by poking fun at her(?) own profile tag of bacon bra tester, or whatever it says, and didn’t realize that rose to the level of asswipe, but again, I’m the newbie here. And experiencedd, it’s great that you didn’t have more kids than you could afford…neither did I. As for whatever Chris Jeub may have said about small families, I don’t see how you could have anything negative to say about any family because they’re small. I get how people don’t understand big families, and with some of the examples on tv, I get the snark, but I have always said that not everyone should have lots of kids, and some aren’t cut out for any. As long as people take the responsibility to not have them if they don’t want them, or not have more than they want. I don’t see how being a small family could be a bad thing (barring abuse or some other bad situation).

What some folks don’t get is that we’re not “fundiesâ€. We don’t have our kids for religious reasons, we just feel like it’s the right thing for us. We consider ourselves a “normal†family with ups and downs just like everyone else. We are happy for those who have lots of kids, and for those who have none and are happy with whatever direction their lives take them. It takes all kinds to make the world go round.

Take care.

• 4 months later...

Their eldest daughter is seven months pregnant.

They need to stop now. :D Though their youngest is two now anyway, Christi's fertility might be nonexistent at this point.

Their eldest daughter is seven months pregnant.

They need to stop now. :D Though their youngest is two now anyway, Christi's fertility might be nonexistent at this point.

That's interesting about their daughter. I agree they need to stop having kids.

Hello Dave,

Black Hawk, what was your recipe for four loaves? I can only get two loaves out of any recipe that I make. My family eats both loaves the day they are made!

Not Blackhawk, but my bread recipe does 4 loaves, and I don't mind sharing. Really it's just 4 cups of water and 2 tablespoons of yeast, and enough flour (I don't measure, but it must be 10 C or so). I add an egg, 1/3C sugar and 1/3 oil, the egg helps the whole grain flour raise higher, the sugar and oil help keep the bread fresher longer but aren't strictly necessary. Oh and a teaspoon of salt.

Archived