IGNORED

Calvin's Birthday

gingernut

Calvin and Hobbes is one of our favorites...but no, alas, I meant Dougie's True Love....John Calvin. I couldn't believe that he was so focused on his Food and Family he forgot to say Happy Birthday and make a 100% organic flax seed and whole wheat cake in his honor or something.

Calvin and Hobbes is one of our favorites...but no, alas, I meant Dougie's True Love....John Calvin. I couldn't believe that he was so focused on his Food and Family he forgot to say Happy Birthday and make a 100% organic flax seed and whole wheat cake in his honor or something.

A fact which I still find incredibly ironic considering that Calvin would've had Doug and the rest of the people in his church thrown out of Geneva for not baptizing their children. He certainly wouldn't have allowed them inside any of his churches.

He was instrumental in having Servetus killed – and he brought us all the joyous gift that is Hyper-Calvinistic fuckwittery. Fuck Calvin.

And fuck Doug Phillips, too.

Well, today is John Calvin's birthday. (barf) Do any fundies in the blogosphere have tributes to him today?

None that I've seen. One thing about Calvin is that eve most Calvinists think he was sort of an overbearing ass at best and/or a cold-hearted arrogant murderer, not exactly someone you want to celebrate. He was smart and a decent writer and did a good job at making a lot of Augustine more palatable for the Protestant Reformation but he was not really a nice guy.

None that I've seen. One thing about Calvin is that eve most Calvinists think he was sort of an overbearing ass at best and/or a cold-hearted arrogant murderer, not exactly someone you want to celebrate. He was smart and a decent writer and did a good job at making a lot of Augustine more palatable for the Protestant Reformation but he was not really a nice guy.

I think I might have enjoyed hanging out with Zwingli. (IIRC, most of the things he considered unscriptural were restrictions, e.g., fasting during Lent, which he protested one fast day by cutting up a sausage in enough pieces to share it with everybody present.) Calvin, not so much. I admire the dude's intelligence and thoroughness, but IMO he comes pretty close to making an idol out of rigor.

Moi aussi.

No, I thought of John Calvin and Thomas Hobbes:

1970729328_6be2e9a0dc.jpg

Archived