IGNORED

Poor Dougie - the world doesn't have enough DRAMA!

Marian the Librarian

I'm not sure how to decipher Dougie's word salad, but I love the tee shirt!

Maybe Dougie isn't even sure what he has to say but he's latched onto a topic to fill another conference and pull in more suckers and money.

Yea every time he announces a new conference I can't help but see Mickey Rooney saying, " Let's put on a show! My uncle has a barn we can use."

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You do not want my rant on "Marxism's influence on American culture". Because it's really fucking boring.

And I'm seriously fed up of us Marxists getting blamed for everything from the collapse of society to the lack of available bogroll.

I'm interested, but my general take is that it's a scary word that most people in the public don't understand, and therefore it gets tossed around way more than it should.

JesusFightClub- Dougie couldn't accurately describe Marxism if his life and collection of costumes depended on it.

Is Doug a frustrated academic wannabe? His strained, florid and overly complicated writing style reminds me of all of the authors I have to read who seem to feel the need to remind the readers of the academic journals in which they are published that they are smart, so much smarter than you, mere reader.

Desert Vixen, I would, but it would kill the thread ;) It involves the Smith Act, parts of the American union movement, McCarthyism, the New Left, Vietnam and modern-day ramifications of all of the above. Believe me, it would be better if I photographed my arse and uploaded the picture, and there are few things worse than that... :shock:

Haleigh, I always imagine - you know that scene from the Matrix when they're standing in the blank space? And all the huge racks of guns appear? Can't you just see Doug in the blank space, except the racks are costumes?

I've been saving this for a long time - finally, I get to share!! :D It's on my bucket list to show up at one of Doug's functions and stand outside wearing one.

Brilliant! That shirt should be sold in the Free Jinger store.

Hmmm.... I'm not sure how he can say that this topic of food is both "dangerous and risky". If this is one of the more risky things that he has done in his life, then he really is sheltered, and not the 'manly man' that he likes to portray himself as. Maybe instead of talking about the family dinner table, he could find and present a way to end world hunger. Now that would truly be a worthwhile conference.

The only fucking food theology that Dougie needs to have drilled into his head can be found in "Babette's Feast." You know, where the members of a tiny hidebound sect in Denmark are treated to a fabulous feast by their refugee French cook. There's more GOOD theology in that movie than there is in 1,000 of Dougie's treatises.

This is my favorite movie. I've seen it at least 40 times and I've picked up only one Dutch word. :cry:

Guest Anonymous

He reminds me of what Guy Montag, in "Fahrenheit 451" said about the talking walls in his home: he says "nothing, nothing, nothing and says it loud, loud, loud".

The only 'dangerous and risky' part of this conference is Jchelles Tater Tot Casserole.

Wouldn't TTC be considered a food heresy it does mix meat and dairy after all.

Wouldn't TTC be considered a food heresy it does mix meat and dairy after all.

It's really interesting just what Jchelle is gonna contribute to this topic and yea TTC is tref.

The best meal my grandma ever cooked that I ate was TTC. And this was after my mom met me outside and warned me what dinner was going to be, and that it was good, but not to fall over laughing when I saw it. It was heavy on carrots and green beans, though, and I don't think fundie-style TTC is allowed to have more than a hint of vegetable besides tater tots, does it?

I come from non-cooks on both sides. We love our microwaves. Commercials extolling Mom's or Grandma's cooking leave me on the floor laughing. I can't be the only one but it seems to be a major cultural trope.

When is Doug Phillips going to realize that he always manages to sound like he's trying out for the part of the Thesarus in the 8th grade school play as opposed to educated and intelligent? And I love how he's talking about having too much technology while he's posting it to his website, Twitter account, and Facebook page. Ah the sweet hypocrisy.

Just wanted to add that Dougie's grammar backs up this interpretation. If "we" means royalized Dougie (singular), then "a God-appointed tool" describes Dougie. It can't describe "food and family culture," because that's plural.

*Doug Philips is a tool*

I have no doubt whatsoever that Dougie is purposely poking the word "tool" into his website so that, when anyone Googles "Doug Phillips is a tool," his site will be near the top. *running to check*

The best meal my grandma ever cooked that I ate was TTC. And this was after my mom met me outside and warned me what dinner was going to be, and that it was good, but not to fall over laughing when I saw it. It was heavy on carrots and green beans, though, and I don't think fundie-style TTC is allowed to have more than a hint of vegetable besides tater tots, does it?

I come from non-cooks on both sides. We love our microwaves. Commercials extolling Mom's or Grandma's cooking leave me on the floor laughing. I can't be the only one but it seems to be a major cultural trope.

I like my MIL's TTC. Onion is the only veggie in it, but I think corn and carrots would be good in it (I'm not allowed to mess with the recipe)

Meliss Niednagel has produced a cooking DVD as well as a paper cookbook and she and Jordanyo will be selling it at the conference. After which they will jet off to Hawaii for a second honeymoon, all done on their frequent flyers' miles, of course, they're not rich or anything.

But I digress. The conference seems also to be a place for budding entrepreneurs to make some dough. Ha ha, see what I did there?

This probably isn't news, but it was to me.

Which makes the event something more than just a cash cow for Doug: It's a way to bring together the dominionist faithful yet again and provide networking, exchange of fiat money, and renewed confidence that they are right and they will rule. FWIW.

Um, the idea of mamma preparing a great family dinner is cool, like, everywhere. I am a staunch feminist and I cook fabulous meals for my boyfriend, my friends, whoever. I know feminists who cook way better than anything I've ever eaten at the Christian Conservative's table. Probably because feminists (of both sexes) are fine with learning how to cook from people other than their stay-at-home mom, who learned to cook from her stay-at-home mom in the 1950s when flavor did not exist. I eat SO much better when I'm with liberals. Don't know if that's normal in other parts of the country, but it's definitely true here.

Oh yea, don't you know that flavor is a sin? You might enjoy your food! :o

Wow. Dougie is a drama queen! Is he gay? *not to say that gays are drama queens- but a man who makes a huge deal out of nothing, while using flamboyant vocab is questionable, right?

Also, he used "purposed" in his rant, and so I finally looked it up. I've never used it as a verb, but it's legit. I guess it's not too Christianese!

pur·pose   /ˈpɜrpəs/ Show Spelled [pur-puhs] Show IPA noun, verb, pur·posed, pur·pos·ing.

noun

1. the reason for which something exists or is done, made, used, etc.

2. an intended or desired result; end; aim; goal.

3. determination; resoluteness.

4. the subject in hand; the point at issue.

5. practical result, effect, or advantage: to act to good purpose.

verb (used with object)

6. to set as an aim, intention, or goal for oneself.

7. to intend; design.

8. to resolve (to do something): He purposed to change his way of life radically.

dictionary.com

Dougie must have been hit with a tax bill he can't afford so is spinning it as a starving child crisis.

I posted the following on his Facebook page:

This is the silliest thing I have read in a long time. And it's spelled "dessert," not "desert." These folks would be better off spiritually spending the admittance fee on a contribution to the local food bank or soup kitchen.

Sharing it here because the legions of interns are at the ready, eager to delete my rant!

I wonder why the legions of interns (and the ever-sycophantic Nathaniel Darnell) aren't doing the live-blogging of this scam event.

Instead, Dougie's got Adam McManus (takeastand.net/home.asp), blowhard fundie & erstwhile radio host to do the live-blogging. Is Adam doing this for free or is he getting a cut of the fleecing proceeds?

Archived