IGNORED

Poor Dougie - the world doesn't have enough DRAMA!

Marian the Librarian

Thus, he presents us with his latest concern: theological heresy! (Cue theremin...)

Dear Friends of Vision Forum Ministries,

This week Vision Forum Ministries will endeavor to do something we think timely and significant. We recognize that the mission before us is both dangerous and risky. Once more we walk into the breach of controversy, this time by addressing a very difficult subject fraught with inherent challenges, not the least of which are the potential of error from confusion, extremism, trendism, indifference, apathy, and worse—theological heresy.

We have purposed to address a great elephant within the room of Evangelical Christianity. We are not content with elephants tramping through our sacred houses and wreaking havoc, so before things are done we hope to offer the elephant both a care-taker and an elephant house. The pachyderm in question is the present crisis of food and the family. We gather with hundreds of families, preachers, chefs, doctors and leaders to discuss the present crisis and chart a course for the next ten years and beyond.

Towards this end, we aspire to battle many errors which persist: The error of those believers who would make the latest model of health and diet a test of fellowship, on the one hand, and the error of those Christians who believe it improper to even articulate a biblical basis for a theory of food and the family, on the other. We gather to battle statism, Marxism and the last fifty years of man-centered manipulation of the food supply, contrary to both wisdom and applicable biblical precepts. We gather to battle the assault on the family table and the once robust Christian household culture, by challenging the many-headed hydra of 21st century selfishness whose tentacles include radical egalitarianism and individualism, the tyranny of entertainment addiction and technological overload, and the poverty of the fast-food lifestyle. In an age when the idea of Mamma preparing the great family dinner has become the stuff of myth and legends, we aspire to rekindle the vision for food and family culture as a God-appointed tool for transforming culture and restoring the family to its place of influence in the lives of the next generation.

With all of this in mind, we humbly petition our friends to remember Vision Forum Ministries, and the speakers and families in attendance, in your prayers and supplications before the Lord at this time.

Persevero, Doug Phillips

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous
Thus, he presents us with his latest concern: theological heresy! (Cue theremin...)

With all of this in mind, we humbly petition our friends to remember Vision Forum Ministries, and the speakers and families in attendance, in your prayers and supplications before the Lord at this time.

Persevero, Doug Phillips

Translation: SEND MONEY!

What the...??? Is he even speaking English? I mean, I read it, but I have no idea what he is trying to say. Using a bunch of big words doesn't automatically make something earth-shatteringly important, Dougie. The eternal salvation of man isn't dependent on what we have for dinner tonight. Try again.

That just confirms my belief that Dougie and Norma Desmond are the same person. (Hi, Dougie. Hi, Interns.)

What the...??? Is he even speaking English? I mean, I read it, but I have no idea what he is trying to say. Using a bunch of big words doesn't automatically make something earth-shatteringly important, Dougie. The eternal salvation of man isn't dependent on what we have for dinner tonight. Try again.

:lol: That's how I felt and I read it through three times. At first I thought he was proposing cooking and eating an elephant.

Also, persevero? :roll:

Partial translation: Women working and not making huge dinners for their huge family every freaking night is solely responsible for the unmaking of society as we know it.

With a side order of McDonald's is the devil.

I read through it twice and had trouble figuring out what he was saying. He uses all these big words to show us how smart he thinks he is. He thinks he has the answers to everything. Fast food is evil; women should cook dinner for their families every freaking night, blah, blah.

Doug Phillips is a tool.

Partial translation: Women working and not making huge dinners for their huge family every freaking night is solely responsible for the unmaking of society as we know it.

With a side order of McDonald's is the devil.

Got it! I really wish that Babelfish or Google translator had a Doug Philips version.

This reads like the stuff I wrote when I was 14 and pathetically anxious to impress my teachers and whoever else I thought might care. These days, when I come across those pompous, over-ornate old writings, I recoil in horror and stuff them away as soon as I can. I'd probably be better off burning them.

We have purposed to address a great elephant within the room of Evangelical Christianity. We are not content with elephants tramping through our sacred houses and wreaking havoc, so before things are done we hope to offer the elephant both a care-taker and an elephant house. The pachyderm in question is the present crisis of food and the family. We gather with hundreds of families, preachers, chefs, doctors and leaders to discuss the present crisis and chart a course for the next ten years and beyond.

Hmm, like the whole idea of having 20 kids and feeding them crap like the Tater Tot Casserole, or bean burritos a la Maxwell?

Towards this end, we aspire to battle many errors which persist: The error of those believers who would make the latest model of health and diet a test of fellowship, on the one hand, and the error of those Christians who believe it improper to even articulate a biblical basis for a theory of food and the family, on the other.

The first part sounds kind of like he's making a crack against fad diets. Not sure what the "biblical basis" for his theory is supposed to be, though.

We gather to battle statism, Marxism and the last fifty years of man-centered manipulation of the food supply, contrary to both wisdom and applicable biblical precepts. We gather to battle the assault on the family table and the once robust Christian household culture, by challenging the many-headed hydra of 21st century selfishness whose tentacles include radical egalitarianism and individualism, the tyranny of entertainment addiction and technological overload, and the poverty of the fast-food lifestyle.

Our food is too worldly! The idea that people might watch tv/movies while eating (or gasp, maybe easting whilst on the computer, which some of these bloggers HAVE to do), more "in the world, not of the world" posing, etc. I'm sure this portion includes things like letting your kids eat things they like, as opposed to force feeding them.

In an age when the idea of Mamma preparing the great family dinner has become the stuff of myth and legends, we aspire to rekindle the vision for food and family culture as a God-appointed tool for transforming culture and restoring the family to its place of influence in the lives of the next generation.

What's really funny is that I, an evil feminist, cook dinner probably 5 nights out of 6. Granted, I cook only for myself and my daughter, as we have no male headship under the roof, unless you count the male cat.

Persevero, Doug Phillips

Send money! The party for this one is going to be fabulous!

That just confirms my belief that Dougie and Norma Desmond are the same person. (Hi, Dougie. Hi, Interns.)

6329674314_4c45afe591.jpg

6329668608_fda162d5ec.jpg

Got it! I really wish that Babelfish or Google translator had a Doug Philips version.

OH MY GOD, I am so getting on that...

The pachyderm in question is the present crisis of food and the family

I thought the food crisis was starving homeless, or people on food stamps/wic, or the fact that all you can afford when poor is basically junk, or childhood obesity. Apparently the real crisis is not sending money to Doug's pompous ass.

Doug Phillips is a tool.

I thought the food crisis was starving homeless, or people on food stamps/wic, or the fact that all you can afford when poor is basically junk, or childhood obesity.

. . . or food deserts, or overpopulation, or pollution . . .

Apparently the real crisis is not sending money to Doug's pompous ass.

Silly us for thinking otherwise.

The crisis of Marxism and food will be solved once Michelle delivers her TTC to the masses. I'm convicted of this, so deeply it is written on my heart.

Now we've got to give Dougie some credit here--- he's smart in selling a topic that people will buy. Food is a topic that people easily feel guilty about (do we eat healthy enough? are we making food an idol?). So just like the "controversial" topics he's brought up in the past, he's very smart about playing on his followers emotions and fears.

But really Dougie? Food and Religion is not a new concept! It's been a controversy that many before you have "addressed", only to have it become a dividing issue once again!

It's been a while since I've read Doug's writings. It is so freakin' amusing!

The only fucking food theology that Dougie needs to have drilled into his head can be found in "Babette's Feast." You know, where the members of a tiny hidebound sect in Denmark are treated to a fabulous feast by their refugee French cook. There's more GOOD theology in that movie than there is in 1,000 of Dougie's treatises.

The only fucking food theology that Dougie needs to have drilled into his head can be found in "Babette's Feast." You know, where the members of a tiny hidebound sect in Denmark are treated to a fabulous feast by their refugee French cook. There's more GOOD theology in that movie than there is in 1,000 of Dougie's treatises.

QFT

This.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092603/

If the DVD wasn't nearly $40 (jeepers!), I'd send it to Doug with a note telling him to watch that a couple dozen times.

The best meal I ever ate in my life was cooked by these guys who were from Communist China and spending the summer in our co-op. It was a wonderful meal, made better by the fact that it was eaten with people I liked living with and having fun with.

Burn the damn heretics!!!!111! Ooops, sorry, I forgot we're not in the Middle Ages anymore... :oops:

So, I tried reading his verbal vomit, but found his grandiose verbosity, eloquently expressing the vaucuousness of his deepest and most sincere estimations, to be both vapid and inconsequential, as well as gratuitously and repetitively assigning culpability to the fairer sex for the dietary deficiencies in our present, trying circumstances, and therefore without genuine merit. Heresy, being a belief or theory strongly at variance with established beliefs and customs, and universally acknowledged to be a point of departure for disagreement and strife, is in my very meek and humble, yet heartfelt opinion, not applicable in this case, since dietary changes have been, and continue to be demarcated by monumental changes that are of a social, natural, economic and financial nature, implying that a strictly functionalist judgement of the current situation...

I lost my train of thought. Anyway, Doug Phillips is a tool.

Burn the damn heretics!!!!111! Ooops, sorry, I forgot we're not in the Middle Ages anymore... :oops:

So, I tried reading his verbal vomit, but found his grandiose verbosity, eloquently expressing the vaucuousness of his deepest and most sincere estimations, to be both vapid and inconsequential, as well as gratuitously and repetitively assigning culpability to the fairer sex for the dietary deficiencies in our present, trying circumstances, and therefore without genuine merit. Heresy, being a belief or theory strongly at variance with established beliefs and customs, and universally acknowledged to be a point of departure for disagreement and strife, is in my very meek and humble, yet heartfelt opinion, not applicable in this case, since dietary changes have been, and continue to be demarcated by monumental changes that are of a social, natural, economic and financial nature, implying that a strictly functionalist judgement of the current situation...

Nothing to add, just that I love it :greetings-clapyellow: :greetings-clapyellow: :greetings-clapyellow:

Nothing to add, just that I love it :greetings-clapyellow: :greetings-clapyellow: :greetings-clapyellow:

:banana-dreads: :banana-dreads: :banana-dreads: :banana-dreads: :banana-dreads:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Word

Archived