IGNORED

Turpins 3: 2 Monsters, 13 Victims (WARNING abuse and torture)

laPapessaGiovanna

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, TXGirlInAMaterialWorld said:

Have any of the news stories confirmed that the youngest child is indeed biologically Louise's? 

This has been on my mind so much this past week. I know it’s possible it’s their full sibling and I really hope she is but it does make you wonder what else they did to keep the children coming. 

David Turpin's brother wants the kids?

6 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

Dr. Turpin, [is] the president of Valor Christian College in Ohio, a fiery megachurch preacher and faith healer...  [He is also] the author of a book that recommends 21 days of prayer and fasting to “help bring a person to a place of personal freedom." 

A faith healer who endorses fasting?

For children who were denied medical care and not allowed to eat normally?

Request: denied.

Maybe if Dr. Randy Turpin really, genuinely wanted to help his estranged nieces and nephews via adoption, he wouldn't be giving Inside Edition an exclusive interview announcing his intentions! 

But oops:

However, before anything can move forward, investigators reportedly want to sit down with Randy Turpin to discuss, among other things, a book he wrote about the spiritual benefits of fasting.

That is sick. Wow, great adoption-match, buddy Christ - WTF. How can he NOT see the irony?!

What other sharks are going to start circling... Fuck, it physically hurts to follow whats now a media circus.

17 hours ago, FecundFundieFundus said:

Sadly, once the public attention wanes they will most likely be on their own to sink or swim. Genie has been brought up previously by myself and I think someone else, and that's what happened to her. She had the best treatment while there was public flurry surrounding her and funds to study her, but when the money dried up, so had the public interest. My hope is that the relatives in this case will finally step up to the plate and help advocate for the children, and perhaps some of the kids will be able to advocate for themselves and their siblings later on down the line. 

Genie's mother also didn't want her in the spotlight anymore and I think she lived with her mother for awhile until she passed. 

Her case still bothers me. Imagine what could have been? 

6 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Genie's mother also didn't want her in the spotlight anymore and I think she lived with her mother for awhile until she passed. 

Unfortunately, Genie's mother did take her from the Rigler's, but she only cared for her a few months before surrendering Genie to the foster system. 
"In 1975, when Genie turned 18, her mother stated that she wished to care for her, and in mid-1975 the Riglers decided to end their foster parenting and agreed to let Genie move back in with her mother at her childhood home.[57][251] John Miner remained Genie's legal guardian and the Riglers offered to continue assisting with Genie's care, and despite the NIMH grant ending Curtiss continued to conduct regular testing and observations.[10][143][252] While living together Genie's mother found many of Genie's behaviors, especially her lack of self-control, very distressing, and after a few months the task of caring for Genie by herself quickly overwhelmed her. She then contacted the California Department of Health to find care for Genie, which David Rigler said she did without his or Marilyn's knowledge, and in the latter part of 1975 authorities transferred Genie to the first of what would become a succession of foster homes." From Wikipedia. 
While I have some sympathy for Genie's mother as an abused woman, I find it difficult to reconcile that sympathy with allowing your child to be tied to a toilet and not allowed any human interaction or comfort. It revolts me that she was allowed to become Genie's caregiver. 

36 minutes ago, FecundFundieFundus said:

Unfortunately, Genie's mother did take her from the Rigler's, but she only cared for her a few months before surrendering Genie to the foster system. 
"In 1975, when Genie turned 18, her mother stated that she wished to care for her, and in mid-1975 the Riglers decided to end their foster parenting and agreed to let Genie move back in with her mother at her childhood home.[57][251] John Miner remained Genie's legal guardian and the Riglers offered to continue assisting with Genie's care, and despite the NIMH grant ending Curtiss continued to conduct regular testing and observations.[10][143][252] While living together Genie's mother found many of Genie's behaviors, especially her lack of self-control, very distressing, and after a few months the task of caring for Genie by herself quickly overwhelmed her. She then contacted the California Department of Health to find care for Genie, which David Rigler said she did without his or Marilyn's knowledge, and in the latter part of 1975 authorities transferred Genie to the first of what would become a succession of foster homes." From Wikipedia. 
While I have some sympathy for Genie's mother as an abused woman, I find it difficult to reconcile that sympathy with allowing your child to be tied to a toilet and not allowed any human interaction or comfort. It revolts me that she was allowed to become Genie's caregiver. 

I feel the same way. She gets her back and finds she is too difficult? Who's fault is that? 

3 hours ago, Chewing Gum said:

This has been on my mind so much this past week. I know it’s possible it’s their full sibling and I really hope she is but it does make you wonder what else they did to keep the children coming. 

Several news sources have reported that DNA tests have been conducted on all the kids to ensure that they are all related and not kidnap victims.  I am sure that if it turns out that one or more are not full-siblings, that will be discovered and disclosed as relevant.

Regarding the possibility that one of the older girls gave birth to the youngest child, remember that all the kids seem to have had very thorough physical exams.  The female body generally exhibits signs of having been pregnant and given birth.  If such signs had been present in one or more of the girls, I think the investigators would have pursued it and we would hve more than one count of molestation of a minor against David. 

To be sure, it is possible that a hypothetical older daughter has refused medical examination, but I think we would have heard that one or more of the kids were too terrorized to be examined.  And it is possible that a hypothetical older daughter who is found to have given birth has refused to reveal how she got pregnant and/or begged to have the situation kept private and the authorities are waiting until she can handle testifying before they bring that charge.  But that’s a lot of hypotheticals and possibles.

Right now the evidence we have suggests that the kids are all the biological offspring of Louise and Davd.  The space between the youngest and next youngest can easily be explained by decreased fertility and possible miscarriages due to age.  Plus, given the starvation, it is unlikely most of the older girls could conceive and carry to term.  Lastly, we know that Louise at one point sought fertility treatment.  So the most likely scenario is that she birthed the youngest child after fertility treatment.

One side of the family are religious nutjobs that promote fasting, the other side are religious nutjobs that, frankly, look like they are recovering drug addicts.

Both sides probably do not have the psychological capacity to care for these poor children adequately. 

I hope the kids stay in the foster system with caring, experienced foster parents. I imagine that with the exposure of the case, CPS chose their foster homes very carefully. They have lawyers assigned to them, as well, who are also probably chosen very carefully. 

The kids are probably in the best possible place for them right now and for the long term. Right now what they need is stability, not people that seem to have massive issues of their own. 

@libgirl2 I'm also astonished that they had her move back in to the home where she was tortured for thirteen years. "Childhood home" does not describe what that poor girl went through within those walls. It unnerves me that the mother was able to live there, too. One of her daughters was murdered by her husband by leaving her in the unheated garage (baby caught pneumonia I believe). 

4 minutes ago, FecundFundieFundus said:

@libgirl2 I'm also astonished that they had her move back in to the home where she was tortured for thirteen years. "Childhood home" does not describe what that poor girl went through within those walls. It unnerves me that the mother was able to live there, too. One of her daughters was murdered by her husband by leaving her in the unheated garage (baby caught pneumonia I believe). 

I seem to remember that too! 

I can't comprehend how she was returned "home". It wasn't a home, it was a prison, a torture chamber. The mother should NEVER had gotten her back.  Even though the mother was abused, I'm sorry but she did walk out finally.... she should have done it a lot sooner. Genie might have had a chance then to lead a somewhat regular life. I guess times were different, but stuff like that still goes on. 

Fox News elaborates a little on the Inside Edition report that I posted last night, and adds this bit of information 

Turpin is the president of Valor Christian College in Ohio and is a megachurch preacher whose 2016 book “21 Days of Prayer and Fasting” promises to “help bring a person to a place of personal freedom.”   ... 

The college is connected to the World Harvest Church, which was founded by televangelist Rod Pasley, and which was forced to pay a family $2.9 million after a daycare worker hit a 2-year-old with a ruler, leaving welts and bruises, the Columbus Dispatch reported.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/01/26/preacher-uncle-house-horror-children-wants

We can only hope that the authorities aren’t stupid enough to give custody of these kids to anyone in the dysfunctional extended family.   My main fear is that even though they don’t get custody in the end, these relatives may delay the process of adoption for the younger kids.

The other concern I have is that these dysfunctional relatives may “reach out” to the older kids (the adults) and persuade these adults to  “choose” to be “with family.”  

However, I am hopeful that the extended family is not really interested in taking responsibility for the 13.  They may just want to give the impression that  they care, that they didn’t protect the kids before because they were ignorant of what was going on, etc.

3 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

Fox News elaborates a little on the Inside Edition report that I posted last night, and adds this bit of information 

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/01/26/preacher-uncle-house-horror-children-wants

We can only hope that the authorities aren’t stupid enough to give custody of these kids to anyone in the dysfunctional extended family.   My main fear is that even though they don’t get custody in the end, these relatives may delay the process of adoption for the younger kids.

The other concern I have is that these dysfunctional relatives may “reach out” to the older kids (the adults) and persuade these adults to  “choose” to be “with family.”  

However, I am hopeful that the extended family is not really interested in taking responsibility for the 13.  They may just want to give the impression that  they care, that they didn’t protect the kids before because they were ignorant of what was going on, etc.

I certainly hope so. 

Holy shit. I just went down the Genie rabbithole. How I've lived 51 years never having heard of her is astounding.

29 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Holy shit. I just went down the Genie rabbithole. How I've lived 51 years never having heard of her is astounding.

i learned about it several years ago when I came across the movie Mockingbird Don't Sing, which is a fictionalized account of what happened. 

23 hours ago, FiddleDD said:

What I found concerning was that they were not allowed to interfere AT ALL, even if it was to the resident’s detriment. Example: They could not stop a resident from spending all their money, leading to them not being able to pay their rent, which could lead to the person being homeless. There were many other risky behaviors my relative had to sit back and watch. 

I know in the UK at least that to do something like that would be classed as a Deprivation of Liberty and therefore require express consent from the courts or the court appointed guardian. It would also need to be proven that the person was lacking in mental capacity and therefore unable to manage their own finances. To do so is probably time consuming and a lot of effort. It definitely makes sense though as essentially you're making the decisions for a fully grown adult which could easily be abused if not properly regulated. I don't know what laws and safeguards are in place in the USA though regarding decision making and mental capacity.

Apparently they said their goodbyes because they were planning to move to Oklahoma. Not sure how that matches up with the ‘let’s move close to hollywood’ idea some of their family members are floating. But I’ve noticed a few things which don’t add up - I don’t know whether it’s the media or their family spreading furphies.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/news-life/why-turpins-planned-to-leave-town-just-before-arrest/news-story/0dff2be5815931fd89475647007da8d5

THE Turpin family were planning to move from California to Oklahoma “within days” of when they were arrested by police for torturing 12 of their 13 children.

The father, David Turpin, 57, had secured a transfer to the midwestern state with his employer, defence technology company Northrop Gruman, and the family had already started packing, according to multiple sources who spoke to America’s ABC News.

“There were boxes in the house consistent with moving — concentrated in hallways, entryway and bedrooms,” a source told ABC News.

Photographs taken of the three-bedroom house in Perris, about 100km southeast of Los Angeles, showed boxes and tubs piled up as if ready to be shipped.

6 minutes ago, adidas said:

Apparently they said their goodbyes because they were planning to move to Oklahoma. Not sure how that matches up with the ‘let’s move close to hollywood’ idea some of their family members are floating. But I’ve noticed a few things which don’t add up - I don’t know whether it’s the media or their family spreading furphies.

I think the family is full of garbage. They are enjoying the attention. It's very skeevy.

2 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

You bet Dr. Turpin is! The others, I think they care, but they're focused on the interview money.

Dr. Turpin is speaking out to save himself - his reputation as President of Valor Christian College - not to save his estranged nieces and nephews! He is a leader in a large Christian community, preacher at a megachurch - surely he wants to keep it that way!?

By going on Inside Edition I guess he cant say he didn't try? The school's press release states he took a "leave of absence", but I wonder if it wasn't forced? That is embarrassingly terrible press for the college, especially considering the Dr.'s public passion for "fasting".

Valor has had enough pad press - the college is apparently linked to the "World Harvest Church", founded by Rod Pasley, televangelist. They paid out $3 million after a child was hit with a ruler a shit ton and resulting in massive welts .

@Tim-Tom Biblethumper I inspected assisted living facilities for compliance with state regulations for a little over a year. I can answer questions if you have them but am by no means an expert. Feel free to PM me if you want. My biggest two biggest pieces of advice is to get a copy of the state regulation and read it. Do not be afraid to reference it when advocating for the resident. Second is to visit the facility and quietly observe the interactions of the staff with residents and how everyday life is done there. Look at menus and activity lists. If you can talk to the residents because most of them won’t hesitate to tell you how it really is. 

8 hours ago, Tim-Tom Biblethumper said:

Thanks @FundieFarmer  :)  We're not there yet, but when the time comes I'd appreciate any and all input.  I'm pretty much alone in all this.
Oh, I'm in FL (Tampa Bay Area)  

in my state there is an awesome Masonic home. You don't have to be a Mason to go there. They took care of my grandma after her stroke and they were wonderful. Since you gave your location there is one there: http://www.masonichomefl.com/ not sure if it is as great as the one in my state but something to look at. Masons are not a non profit, they are a fraternal organization and they do a lot of charity things (at least in my area).

Thanks [mention=18732]FundieFarmer[/mention]  [emoji4]  We're not there yet, but when the time comes I'd appreciate any and all input.  I'm pretty much alone in all this.

Oh, I'm in FL (Tampa Bay Area)  

Me too! Metro Orlando area. I can definitely look into some referrals for you whenever you need default_smile.png

Also..as an aside, what a nightmare the NG PR team. They must be getting a ton of inquiries about the Turpins. I’ve dealt with situations where our employees do something awful at home and it hits the news and comes back to us tenfold. They probably never saw this coming. Eesh for the team, and unbelievable for the kids that no one who worked with him caught on. I know I deal with this frequently but I never understand how you can see someone day in and day out and not notice when they’re that messed up.

2 hours ago, FrumperedCat said:

I know in the UK at least that to do something like that would be classed as a Deprivation of Liberty and therefore require express consent from the courts or the court appointed guardian. It would also need to be proven that the person was lacking in mental capacity and therefore unable to manage their own finances. To do so is probably time consuming and a lot of effort. It definitely makes sense though as essentially you're making the decisions for a fully grown adult which could easily be abused if not properly regulated. I don't know what laws and safeguards are in place in the USA though regarding decision making and mental capacity.

My understanding is that it is roughly the same in the US.  

In some cases, if the person is declared incompetent/unable to care for him/herself, there can be an arrangement where the person’s income (disability benefits, social security, etc.) are paid directly to someone who makes sure things like room and board are paid for before handing the rest of the money to the person.  However, a lot of people who should have that kind of help don’t get it, partly because the courts are reluctant to deprive any one of control over their own property without overwhelming evidence of incapacity— and sometimes not even then.

I occasionally volunteer with a “help for the homeless” group, and we have a few “regulars” who can’t get subsidized housing because they can’t be trusted to pay the rent. Typically they get disability checks at the beginning of the month and use that to pay for a week at a cheap hotel/motel.  By the next week, most of them have spent the rest of their money on other things, even though they get their meals for free from our group or from a big church (that makes them pray— we don’t).  So they end up in the homeless camp unless it is winter and they can shelter with one of the Room at the Inn programs.

It is sad, but it is meant to protect people’s freedom and self-determination.  

The Turpin kidults (including the 17 year old who will be an adult in less than a year) may not have much supervision and protection by this time next year.  So I hope that a real effort is made to prepare them for “independence.”

I was wondering if some of the interest in family members comes from the idea that those kids will come with money.  Couple that with the positive attention they would receive for taking in at least some of the kids, ignore the very real problems of the kind of therapies and medical care they'll need, and you're set up for a catastrophe.

The kids don't need someone who will take them in to make themselves feel better over not realizing or doing anything about their past living conditions.  They don't need anyone using them to make themselves look good.  They don't need anyone who has dollar signs in their eyes.

They need more than just someone who is related to their parents.  I don't envy the workers who have to find the best living situations and the best people to get those kids into a good place.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived