IGNORED

S'Morton Alan Smith charged with incest, rape, child molestation

JustAnotherMaiden

1 hour ago, Feministe9000 said:

Watching Alan in that video makes my skin crawl, knowing what we know now.

It is particularly rich and ironic when Michael Sr. is waxing on and on about walking out in the woods for 2 days and asking God to let him know if Alan was the right one for Katie, and he says something like "now the Lord could have said, "Well Michael I don't know about this Alan guy..., but he didn't! the Lord gave me a piece of him and his blessed direction that Alan was right for Katie."

Are we to assume that 

A) God wanted her to marry a criminal?

B) despite false rumors He does not really care who anyone marries

Or C) that God is not a great judge of character

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Feministe9000 said:

Watching Alan in that video makes my skin crawl, knowing what we know now.

It is particularly rich and ironic when Michael Sr. is waxing on and on about walking out in the woods for 2 days and asking God to let him know if Alan was the right one for Katie, and he says something like "now the Lord could have said, "Well Michael I don't know about this Alan guy..., but he didn't! the Lord gave me a piece of him and his blessed direction that Alan was right for Katie."

See, this is why fundies need to be on a maintenance dose of anti-psychotic drugs, so they can filter out all of the voices in their heads,  except the actual message from the lord.

13 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

Are we to assume that 

There is also "D) It is good to talk to God; delusional to believe He is talking to you."

25 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

Pa going on about praying for two days makes it way worse. It's all God's will. Silly man, A magic eight ball would of saved him so much time.

Is there more than one article? I could only find the one. Alan Smith is a pretty common name.

The article in the OP said he would be moved to another jurisdiction to face charges for acts that were allegedly committed there. I don't think it mentioned where, however.

The Colquitt County Sheriff's office said this:

“I will probably be turning details of the case to Ashburn for possible further prosecution,”

1 hour ago, Queen said:

Their whole culture is set up for abuse of different kinds. And the sheltering from the outside world is the scariest.

The sheltering in combination with the vile "first time obedience" shite these assholes make their kids follow make it that much more difficult for anyone who's not a patriarse male to defend themselves.

1 hour ago, Grimalkin said:

Is there more than one article? I could only find the one. Alan Smith is a pretty common name.

Only one article, but that mug shot is definitely him.

I keep remembering one of the Duggar girls' comments after Josh's scandal came to light, about how common abuse is in their community. I think it may have been Jill? I do not remember, but it was sickening how they seemed to dismiss abuse because of its frequency and normality (to them).

3 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Are we to assume that 

D) God is testing Katie's faith and he knows she is one of the few that could handle it. 

It it makes me nauseated to type that but it wouldn't surprise me if this is how they twist it.

5 hours ago, FormerlyFundyLite said:

I can't tell a Morton from a Sanders from a Smith, but this video talks about it at about the 20 minute mark:

Reveal hidden contents

Update: I hadn't actually watched any more of the video than the Pa Morton bit, but wow does this all give off a creepy vibe... Also, for what it's worth, that 50 shekels that the groom pays for his bride is worth about $370.50 today.

Yikes. I can't unsee the the way he was touching her hair/head during the foot washing. That poor girl... it's so hard to picture not having any context for how wrong that whole scene is.

2 hours ago, ladyamylynn said:

Yes.  For future tracking of articles and the court case - his legal name is Bret Alan Smith.

1 hour ago, 16strong said:

I keep remembering one of the Duggar girls' comments after Josh's scandal came to light, about how common abuse is in their community. I think it may have been Jill? I do not remember, but it was sickening how they seemed to dismiss abuse because of its frequency and normality (to them).

I thought it was Jim Bob Duggar who said that originally, but it is very possible that one of the girls repeated it.  I think the whole lot of them have been brainwashed into thinking that the world is full of sexual abuse and only the "sheltered" are safe.  What they fail to realize is that their own culture is a perfect breeding ground for sexual abuse and incest.  And the sheltering makes it harder to intervene when it does happen.  Sexual abuse may indeed be more prevalent in Fundie circles.

Gothard, of course, (and allegedly as the case has still to go to trial) preyed upon victims of incest/sexual abuse sent to IBLP/ATI for re-education.  People didn't believe the victims because they were already bad girls who had tempted men into sin.

It makes me want to vomit.

2 hours ago, ladyamylynn said:

Not only is the mugshot absolutely a picture of the S'Morton Alan Smith, the age matches, and the article names him as Bret Alan Smith - which is his full name - and the S'Mortons are from the Moultrie, GA, area, and it was in the Moultrie newspaper....it's him, absolutely zero doubt.

Hmmm. Jesus is their Lord, right? I seem to recall Jesus washing his disciples' feet. If this jagoff really wanted to be Christlike, wouldn't he have washed his bride's feet?

But, no. It's all about female submission. I swear, there could have been a scene in the New Testament about a husband washing his wife's feet and Jesus praising him for it and holding it up as an example for all men, and the Patriarses would STILL find a way to shove it aside in favor of some crap they dug up (and misinterpreted) from the OT.

I can't watch that video of Katie ever again. I've seen it several times and it just kills me more each time. In light of recent news, I value my sanity too much to see it again. She is such a brainless, tragic woman that my brain can't even comprehend it. She was made into that, intentionally, by her father. It makes me want to vomit, all over him. It's like she is a live but not really. She is a manipulated, destroyed, empty shell. All because her parents have some fucked up interpretation of their religion and of life on earth. 

To think of her coping with her husbands actions - I just can't. I mean, for real, I can't imagine it. She isn't capable. She doesn't have the intellectual or emotional maturity. It simply doesn't exist within her. And, that opinion is based on the video; after ten years with the Smith family and it can't be anything but worse. Bret Sr. is living slime and clearly so is Jr. 

Katie has, from the day of her birth, been a pawn in the power, self important games of every man in her life. 

And, knowing what was done to her - the irrefutable evidence of it - - makes me that much more terrified and miserable for the victim of her husband's actions. 

7 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Yeah, we can't assume that it is a girl - that has already been clarified.

DFCS is involved as well as LE, and the (alleged) victim and other possible victims were interviewed with the help of what appears to be a legitimate secular child advocacy agency, Hero House of Moultrie County.  

With DFCS involvement, where Katie, the alleged victim, and all the children end up, and whether or not they get professional counseling, is not entirely within S'Morton control any more.   The Patriarchs will have to deal with that.  They probably won't be talking about this on the blog or social media, but I anticipate many phone calls and mass emails with screams of persecution being shared with true believers.

I really hope DFCS doesn't drop the ball on this one and Katie cooperates. I hope they can put good professional supports in place so Katie is not dependent on either Smith or Morton family for support.    

Everyone involved needs proper professional counseling, including Katie.  I hope they make it mandatory and continue to monitor the situation.  I also hope that DFCS takes a long hard look at the extended family and clamps down on any and all victim blaming.

Innocent until proven guilty and all that, but I'm glad to see that Alan hasn't been released on bond yet.  If guilty, I hope the judge throws the book at him.

The cynical side of me speculates that what he did must have been really, really bad, because generally, marginally attractive white men with otherwise clean records tend to get slapped on the wrist or let out on bail pretty fast. Or maybe he's just not good enough at swimming.

1 hour ago, usedbicycle said:

Katie sounds so very much like Priscilla Waller and it beaks my heart. I don't think these women were born "slow". They're just completely crushed. (Katie's birth story starts around 1:10). 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M_Kz1EYtd8&index=87&list=UUQxhsovV_fw_FkOoNZR1X9g

I agree with this totally.  I've heard three or four of these women on tape.  They have breathy little girl voices and seem incapable of uttering a declarative sentence, because they don't seem capable of putting together a coherent thought.  I don't think they are stupid, but their confidence in their own intelligence has been utterly destroyed.  I've always thought this was the essential tragedy of fundydom:  A future Marie Curie, a Candace Pert, the person who finds a cure for a cancer, a Ruth Bader Ginsburg--forbidden to speak or think or go to college because vagina.  It's a desperate waste of brainpower. 

7 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

The cynical side of me speculates that what he did must have been really, really bad, because generally, marginally attractive white men with otherwise clean records tend to get slapped on the wrist or let out on bail pretty fast. Or maybe he's just not good enough at swimming.

GA apparently has good laws on this.  It is still up to a judge as to whether he gets to post bond prior to trial.  Judges vary.  Some are shitty.  IMO, of course.

I'm a cynic too.  In a couple of the torture and homicide cases that I have followed closely, sometimes judges administer slaps on the wrist against the evidence (see Barbour case) and sometimes they throw the book (see Hana Alemu, and thank you from the bottom of my heart Judge Cook.)

Spoiler

My big fear in this case is that the S'Mortons will magic Katie and children to Paraguay prior to trial so they can't give evidence.   I hope LE and DFCS are alert to the possibility. 

The men in that video -- Daddy Morton & Captain Bret -- are fucking turds as are their sons. If the hell they believe in exists, may they all end up in it, in flames & torment forever.

2 hours ago, Hane said:

Hmmm. Jesus is their Lord, right? I seem to recall Jesus washing his disciples' feet.

Yes, this is correct. It's just another perversion of the Gospel by these fuckwads.

1 hour ago, nastyhobbitses said:

He's been charged with the unholy trinity of rape, child molestation, and incest, and news of it is out of the family circle. While the S'Mortons may think of themselves as a righteous remnant, as far as the rest of the world is concerned, they are just a bunch of weird, insular fundies, even by rural Georgia standards. I don't think think being a superficially attractive white male will help Bret at this point, unless the victim is pressured into recanting by other family members. Hopefully, the victim has been separated from the rest of the family (I believe the article said he/she had been) and is receiving appropriate, secular counseling.

and not to mention if it isn't one of his own children, then it was possible it is one of Bethany, Rachel or Kressant's...it also could have been one of the adopted ones.  It is one thing to possibly turn your eye to sexual abuse but when it is within your own family, I am not sure how any of them could deal with that. Agree to all who think Katie is a victim as well.  That poor girl has known nothing but being submissive to all men in her life and her children were being raised to think the same. I cringe when i think about one of her IG posts gushing about how Alan let her go shopping alone and he was home alone with the children.... I hope that as more details come out that this whole sick charade of a family comes tumbling down..

Yeah, I don't think Alan was ever a good provider. I think that for several reasons. One, he was raised as king and the world shall bow to him and his manhood. Two, he wasn't educated and has no experience in anything in real life. Three, his father coddled him as the oldest boy and the two of them are peas in a pod. Four, he had his parents and her parents to pick up any slack. Five, his only real job was to keep impregnating his wife and anything else was gravy. 

Not that I think the Mortons are any better over all, but at least their sons have been educated in a trade and know how to support their families. Even if it is family business, at least those businesses are productive - farming and construction. The Smiths made their money bilking others out of theirs with their Captn Bret Christian movies, online 'tutoring', useless video productions; basically, Captn Bret tried to make a living by promoting himself and his fucked up views. The Mortons got sucked into that hook, line and sinker and tied themselves to that particular crazy forever. Combined with their existing crazy, I have to be honest and say the more I think about it, the more surprised I am something untoward hasn't come out of their little fundiezone much sooner. 

Both families turned their daughters into breeding zombies, but the Mortons can atleast support those women and the many babies made. Not so the Smiths. I wouldn't doubt for a second that is part of the initial draw between the families - Bret Sr. and his incompetent ass saw a family of productive men / men in the making and he had daughters to marry off. 

Both families are vile, but the Mortons are at least working vile. 

Where did Captn Bret get his captaincy?  Is it self assigned or did the US Military assign it to him? 

3 minutes ago, Howl said:

Where did Captn Bret get his captaincy?  Is it self assigned or did the US Military assign it to him? 

I don't know for sure, but I think it's because he was 'Captain' of their own private boat that they sailed around the Carribean for a year. 

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived