IGNORED

S'Morton Alan Smith charged with incest, rape, child molestation

JustAnotherMaiden

Did all of them do the bride price and other shenanigans? 

I came across this and it makes me sad... 

http://andyvawser.blogspot.com/2009/02/preparations-for-our-betrothal.html

One advantage of non-biblical engagements, you may actually know the future spouse well enough that you don't have to ask him/her to sign a legal document to swear what his/her gender is. 

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Did all of them do the bride price and other shenanigans? 

I came across this and it makes me sad... 

http://andyvawser.blogspot.com/2009/02/preparations-for-our-betrothal.html

One advantage of non-biblical engagements, you may actually know the future spouse well enough that you don't have to ask him/her to sign a legal document to swear what his/her gender is. 

Went to the link. WTF? I had read references to "bride price" but with the actual picture of silver bars and silver coins, it hit home. They're talking a literal bride price. I just can't even...

Where did that marriage covenant form come from? It's full of legalese as if it was drawn up by an actual lawyer, but what actual lawyer in their right mind would write such a thing, except as a joke?

I have just realized how little I know about the S'Mortons and their crowd.

@picklepizzas - great update & recap! Thank you.

Just one possible addition. The oldest Sanders daughter, LoraLynn (LL), has been on the periphery of this S'Morton madness. She's the daughter of Tim Sanders' first marriage which is never talked about but presumably ended in divorce. Papa Morton refers to taking Tim Sanders' advice when he's talking about wandering around the woods bugging the Lord about whether or not Katie should marry Alan Smith.

LL actually went to college where she met her husband, and they have 7 kids - 6 bio children and 1 adopted. One wonders if the S'Morton madness is what she wants for her own kids, especially her daughters or will they be allowed to pursue their own paths, including college?

2 hours ago, refugee said:

Where did that marriage covenant form come from? It's full of legalese as if it was drawn up by an actual lawyer, but what actual lawyer in their right mind would write such a thing, except as a joke?

No idea if it's the case here, but some more extreme fundy families do not believe in registering the marriage with the state after the wedding ceremony. Michael Pearl comes to mind.   Perhaps the covenant is a legal document that replaces a marriage formally recorded and recognized by the state.  

21 minutes ago, Howl said:

Perhaps the covenant is a legal document that replaces a marriage formally recorded and recognized by the state.  

The references to Parties of the Second and Third Parts made me wonder if it was actually a template for FLDS.

16 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

The references to Parties of the Second and Third Parts made me wonder if it was actually a template for FLDS.

I read that as the contract calling God the First Party o.O

7 minutes ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

The family has set up a gofundme for Katie, per Andrew's instagram. https://www.gofundme.com/2h46m793

So sad.  Looks like they recognize that he won't be getting out to take care of his family, maybe ever.  Glad they specified that none of the funds would be going toward his defense.  Hope he rots in jail til his last day on earth.   Any chance that someone in that family will rethink the whole keeping girls completely ignorant crap?  

59 minutes ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

The family has set up a gofundme for Katie, per Andrew's instagram.  https://www.gofundme.com/2h46m793

I find it telling they didn't include the charges against him.

edit; my apologies, seems as though they included a link to the original story!

I was heartened to see this stated on the GoFundMe:

none of the money raised will be used to defend against legal charges or in support of someone charged with a crime

And the fact that they linked to the arrest article makes me think that at least one of the Mortons (and hopefully more) aren't brushing it under the carpet, but focusing on Katie and the kids.

Edit:  Just realised it was set up by Michael Morton, head of the Morton clan, so that makes me feel even more relieved
Disregard me, I'm just confused - it clearly says "my sister Katie", but seems to be a family statement, with Andrew supporting too

2 minutes ago, Lurky said:

And the fact that they linked to the arrest article makes me think that at least one of the Mortons (and hopefully more) aren't brushing it under the carpet, but focusing on Katie and the kids.

Andrew hashtagged his post with #prayforthevictims. That's another heartening thing to see.

The tone of the Go Fund Me as well as Andrew's post has a surprising ant-Alan tone. There was a lot of speculation on whether the Mortons would rally behind Katie or support the "man" of the house, and it seems like this is their answer. They linked the Moultrie Observer article (which is the same one linked at the top of this post), and specifically tagged the post with #prayforthevictims (plural).

I'm so damned glad that there are no oblique references to ebil gubment, or suggestions that Alan is being persecuted.

They did include a link to the article, so the charges against him are not being hidden. Not that it matters - not everyone needs to know and they are under no obligation. They could easily have done it a number of ways, but they are being transparent on the go fund me site.

I am surprised they are publicly acknowledging it because to be honest, I'be never had that much faith in them or they choices they make. However, it seems pretty clear that however they do handle it overall, they are not trying to do so 'within the family', they are very obviously not hiding the situation and the family is rallying around their daughter/sister. All things people here have speculated about for days. 

There is an immensely long road ahead for Katie & her kids. It looks like she has the foundation of support that will take, and for that, I am grateful. They are not my family and I abhor the majority of what they all stand for, but Katie & her kids are a family in turmoil and I can only be gald when such a family has support. 

11 minutes ago, SolomonFundy said:

I'm so damned glad that there are no oblique references to ebil gubment, or suggestions that Alan is being persecuted.

True, but this (bolded) is bad enough:

This go fund me was posted by my brother for my big sister and her 8 kids. My brother-in-law was recently arrested leaving my little 9 year old nephew as the man of the house. The church has been helping out tremendously but economic support would be greatly appreciated.

What kind of fucked up bullshit is that to lay on a little boy, anyway?!? "You've got the penis, kiddo, so you're in charge of everything now."

28 minutes ago, Lurky said:

Edit:  Just realised it was set up by Michael Morton, head of the Morton clan, so that makes me feel even more relieved
Disregard me, I'm just confused - it clearly says "my sister Katie", but seems to be a family statement, with Andrew supporting too

It was set up by Michael Jr, Kressant's husband, thus Alan's brother in law.

7 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

It was set up by Michael Jr, Kressant's husband, thus Alan's brother in law.

Interesting, as he's married to a smith lady. glad to see his sympathies lie squarely with Katie. 

Also thought it was interesting that Andrew commented on his own post: "please pray for Katie as she has a lot of decisions to make in the coming months". Wonder if that means they're open to a divorce. 

5 hours ago, refugee said:

Went to the link. WTF? I had read references to "bride price" but with the actual picture of silver bars and silver coins, it hit home. They're talking a literal bride price. I just can't even...

I have just realized how little I know about the S'Mortons and their crowd.

No, covenant marriages are only recognized in AR, AZ, and LA. One does wonder if any of the S'Mortons are legally married. 

45 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

So sad.  Looks like they recognize that he won't be getting out to take care of his family, maybe ever.  Glad they specified that none of the funds would be going toward his defense.  Hope he rots in jail til his last day on earth.   Any chance that someone in that family will rethink the whole keeping girls completely ignorant crap?  

I think the disclaimer about legal defense may not be by choice. Capn Bret, weirdly enough, posted something early in July about how gofundme doesn't allow raising funds for legal defense so no one could help "Daniel" out. (Not sure who Daniel is)

Katie & Alan were legally married in 2008, 18 months after the foot washing. Someone here posted a link to the recording of it.

It also does actually sound like Katie has options and is not going to be forced to stay married. It could be wishful thinking, but if that is the case, I just may have taken a small step towards having faith in humanity. 

Hopefully this will lead to reevaluating some of ther crazy and maybe promote a woman's ability to support her family and not have to rely on others when the unthinkable happens. It's too late for the middle generating in the SMorton clan, but there are bunches of girls in the next generation that deserve better.

@Lurky

and others (I tried to quote but it's freaking out for some reason:. Has there been an edit to the page? It now reads "Any funds raised will be given over to katie smith to use wherever she needs."  

The article is still linked but "wherever she needs" could very well be his defense. EDIT: was thinking the same as @picklepizzas because I saw daddy Smith's Facebook too. She could still decide that's what she needs. 

Regardless, I'm happy to see the support. 

Just now, Kylolo said:

@Lurky

and others (I tried to quote but it's freaking out for some reason:. Has there been an edit to the page? It now reads "Any funds raised will be given over to katie smith to use wherever she needs."  

The article is still linked but "wherever she needs" could very well be his defense. 

It is stated funds will not be used for his defense. It is under the Read More click.

5 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

Katie & Alan were legally married in 2008, 18 months after the foot washing. Someone here posted a link to the recording of it.

It also does actually sound like Katie has options and is not going to be forced to stay married. It could be wishful thinking, but if that is the case, I just may have taken a small step towards having faith in humanity. 

Hopefully this will lead to reevaluating some of ther crazy and maybe promote a woman's ability to support her family and not have to rely on others when the unthinkable happens. It's too late for the middle generating in the SMorton clan, but there are bunches of girls in the next generation that deserve better.

Geez, I read that the day this all broke. Brain fart! :D

I am glad they aren't hiding what he has been arrested for but I'm still nervous on how they will handle it all. 

If this whole terrible situation doesn't show them that it's a horrible idea to keep your daughters sheltered, ignorant, perpetually pregnant, and completely reliant on a man, then nothing will.

The fact that the gofundme says "foreseeable future" indicates at least that this is not going to be handled lightly. Would be nice if it also means the family understands that there is -- or should be -- no future with Alan for Katie & family.

What sad, awful situation. 

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived