IGNORED

Jill, Derick, and Israel Part 12

Boogalou

12 minutes ago, DuggarsTheEndIsNear said:

I, too, am surprised that he doesn't have a mangy beard, but it is still  bit too patchy. If he properly groomed it, the patchiness wouldn't be so noticeable, since most of it is along the edges.

That said, Derick would look world better if he either went for the intentionally messy hair with a well groomed beard look, the just beyond stubble beard with well groomed hair, a somewhat bushy (not unkempt) beard with well groomed hair, or both being well groomed. But, you can't have both unkempt hair and an unkempt beard and expect to look attractive.

Also, because someone up thread asked earlier, here are some examples of good beards:

Reveal hidden contents

bd31bac0a2815aabc4d794893676efda.jpg

763ff5fcebf1b66738f4cd29e0b2d9f3.jpg

1bc2be3a9ee7e8c0af4d2be3ed9e0ded.jpg

cf710bb79997d553c642371bd1f91cf8.jpg

2214a52309278d401a6e8a603e30d29e.jpg

I'm not usually a beardy-guy kind of gal, but I think you've convinced me, yum ;).

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

There were beards? All I noticed were .... the eyes...

Good facial hair acts like good makeup: it highlights good features. lol

Looking at the pics of M again, I'm struck by how unattractive JB wants her to be. The hair, the puffed sleeves, the GREEN shirt. We know he loves the long hair and the sleeves, but she could look so much better with a good haircut and flattering clothes. He must not want her to realize what an attractive woman she is. She might develop some self esteem.

4 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

To the bolded, I would have agreed with you until my sister had her kids.  They are two of the glow in the dark white I've ever seen.  Even in the summer they go from see through Irish white to a warm winter winter white. He very well could just be very very pale. 

Babies should be pale. Slather those kids in sunblock! 

20 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Looking at the pics of M again, I'm struck by how unattractive JB wants her to be. The hair, the puffed sleeves, the GREEN shirt. We know he loves the long hair and the sleeves, but she could look so much better with a good haircut and flattering clothes. He must not want her to realize what an attractive woman she is. She might develop some self esteem.

I agree. When they dress up JB is usually in a nice suit and tie but Michelle never seems to match. Even  in clothes that are more dressy than the jean skirt and clunky shoes, she never gets it right. I know she doesn't have a model figure but she could find clothes that flatter her.  There are nice shoes for people with foot problems and plenty of nice dresses that are fitted in a way to hide flaws. We all saw what she ended up with for the vow renewal, so maybe JB imposes his taste, maybe he makes her feel bad if she tries to break out. Or maybe it's just another of her passive aggressive ways to be better than the rest of us. I will say, though, if the dress for Jill's wedding is what we get when she thinks she looks good, she really needs a stylist intervention, because that dress was just all kinds of wrong.

Remember the fuss he made about the puff sleeves on the wedding dress? What is with the puff sleeves? They're out of style. And makes me think he has a little-girl fixation. Bleach, please:brainbleach:

1 hour ago, jcanglin991 said:

I will say, though, if the dress for Jill's wedding is what we get when she thinks she looks good, she really needs a stylist intervention, because that dress was just all kinds of wrong.

Supposedly the girls helped her pick it out (she said it in a TH), but I don't know how much of that was actual input from the girls versus Michelle wanting her own way and the girls just agreeing.

17 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

When I was in the hospital after I had my premie in '87, one of the LPNs scolded me about my worn out bras.  She told me that I'd sag.  I wanted to tell her "too late for that".  I also had other things on my mind right then, like my critically ill baby.

I got the talk in 1987 when I was a fresh post op c-section. Um, can we wait until I get my catheter out before we worry about my bra.

14 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

It draws attention away from the lopsidedness. 

Probably the exact reason for all the facial hair.

3 hours ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

If they were, then Josh would have been in trouble a few years ago lol

From the Duggar Family Blog:

IMG_9061.jpg

Anna looks like the opening notes of Sounds of Silence are playing in her internal soundtrack. "I married THIS guy? I made a huge mistake..."

6 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

The green shirt and Jill's striped skirt should both be retired IMO.

I'd add the numerous yellow cardigans- there has to be more than one of those.

Beards are fine. The problem with Derrick's beard is that he looks like he was just rescued after spending 67 days on a raft in the ocean. If you want people to listen to you, follow you or believe in your message, don't look like you are half deranged. Bringing people to your view of the world is like a job interview. You need to present yourself well to get what you want, in this case, believers. 

As to Michelle and Jim Bob, I think Michelle dresses dowdy because she wants to, not because Jim Bob requires it. Jim Bob obviously has always thought she was hot and is so proud he married the cheerleader. If Michelle wanted to dress better he probably wouldn't have a problem with it because it's just better for when he is showing her off. Michelle is still likely scarred by whatever happened that makes her so ashamed she wore a bikini while mowing the grass and it's not because she thinks she caused her neighbor to divorce.

The sad thing is that Michelle is very pretty. She was when she was younger and she is now. I think she has aged well and looks great for someone with 19 kids. She has no idea that she would look so great if she dressed in clothes designed in this century. 

Michelle knows she can look better. The people magazine makeover put her in great makeup and hair and in a very nice dress. Either she or JB is choosing this.

RE: Derrick - the shaggy unkempt look can be done really well. Derrick needs some lessons.

A man at work had a bub a few months ago and hasn't been getting much sleep. He let his hair grow out and he looked damn fine!

Friday he got a haircut and he looked like a completely different person. Let's put it this way - unkempt suits him. ;)

4 hours ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

Aren't beards forbidden by the cult?

How can they say that they are forbidden - after all Jesus had a beard.    

2 hours ago, ksgranola1 said:

Remember the fuss he made about the puff sleeves on the wedding dress? What is with the puff sleeves? They're out of style. And makes me think he has a little-girl fixation. Bleach, please:brainbleach:

He acted ridiculous in that episode. Well, they both did. She wouldn't accept any help from the people who work there and kept asking him what he thought. I was about to hurl at how many times he suggested "puff sleeves" and he is just so damn skeevy about it. He giggles and acts so moronic. I really do think he dictates what she wears. He dictates her hair and that is so unattractive so why would he dictate decent clothes? He spends a great deal of times on his looks but what seems to not allow the same for Mechelle. So what is good for the goose is not good for the gander.

I do think a great deal of it is insecurity on JB's part. I think he knows he was pretty lucky to get Mechelle especially being a cheerleader and the nerd/goober he seemed to be. He is probably very afraid that someone will take her away from him. Not sure who would take on a woman with 19 children but...... Michelle has aged well for all her body has been through. But, she could look so much better. She does not have to over do or spend hours on her hair like her daughters. She can easily get a quick routine going with some decent clothes and look great. But,I don't believe JB will ever allow this to occur. But, first CUT THE HAIR!!

To be fair, I think Michelle (other than the dress sense and hair) looks incredible after having 19 children. I'd look like Gollum.

8 minutes ago, MoonFace said:

How can they say that they are forbidden - after all Jesus had a beard.    

Yeah, I don't think that they forbid beards. I'm pretty sure that even JB has had some serious 5 o'clock shadow going at one point.

2 minutes ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

Yeah, I don't think that they forbid beards. I'm pretty sure that even JB has had some serious 5 o'clock shadow going at one point.

Actually, Bill Gothard preaches against beards: "Men should note that facial hair tends to obscure the countenance." 

But, Derick wasn't raised in the Gothard cult.

Just now, DuggarWatch said:

Actually, Bill Gothard preaches against beards: "Men should note that facial hair tends to obscure the countenance." 

But, Derick wasn't raised in the Gothard cult.

I stand corrected. Thanks, @DuggarWatch!

Regarding Michelle's hair & wardrobe: I think a lot of her choices have to do with being really uncomfortable with change. I think JB freaks when things change. My dad is borderline fundie lite, and anytime my mom changes her hair color or goes shorter he gets weird/upset about it. And recently when my mom reorganized the drawers in their kitchen, he got all huffy about that too. I bet JB (and maybe even M) can't stand to see her in new clothes or different hair. It probably just freaks them out to look different because change and adjusting are uncomfortable for them.

43 minutes ago, LittleSpouseOnThePrairie said:

Regarding Michelle's hair & wardrobe: I think a lot of her choices have to do with being really uncomfortable with change. I think JB freaks when things change. My dad is borderline fundie lite, and anytime my mom changes her hair color or goes shorter he gets weird/upset about it. And recently when my mom reorganized the drawers in their kitchen, he got all huffy about that too. I bet JB (and maybe even M) can't stand to see her in new clothes or different hair. It probably just freaks them out to look different because change and adjusting are uncomfortable for them.

Remember when Michelle's best friends gave her a makeover? She looked stunning! She came home and Boob was like "I like your hair better the other way", and she did that awful fake smile. 

I'm starting to feel a bit sorry for Jill. I think just like in most young adults myself included, imagining things seem a lot better than when they play out in reality. 

I feel this is how Jill imagined her life: OMG Derrick lives in another country saving souls! How adventurous and with a Christ's heart! I bet if we get married we will do the same thing, living off God's land, sharing the gospel and creating heaven on Earth! I can totally do that, I mean my family and I went on those week long missions in Central America! And we'll have babies and be on TV which will save more souls. Daddy was soooo smart to set us up for this life God intended.

I feel this is how Jill feels about reality: Derrick and I better do this mission stuff soon because more than just 1 child I can't imagine it. Maybe this will help my family's image, all I want to do is save what seems to be doomed. TV is all I thought was in my future, what are we going to do if that doesn't work out? In Central America: Well this isn't what I imagined but we can do it. Three weeks in: I miss my family, this isn't quite like those family mission trips, I have no one around to talk to on a daily basis. Dad said he isn't coming down for at least 6 months. Spanish is really hard and I don't know if I will ever get the hang of it. Staying in the house all the time is getting hard, I miss Derrick, I miss everyone. 2 months in: How are we going to get out of this, I want to come home. 3 Months: Zika? This is just making hard even worse. If we leave it will look even worse, but staying could make us make some tough decisions such as God knows when to bless our family with Children or do we take preventive care. I never thought my family wouldn't be around to help with the baby or miss all the milestones.

I think she must feel underwater with all this. Kind of like if you aren't ready to go to college but everyone else is there and you can't figure a way out, then you end up failing out. It's not like you didn't have the right intentions just you didn't fore seethe hardships and the dedication it takes.

Jill and Derick are starting to remind me of Rebekah (Pearl) Anast and her husband Gabe. Derick has the mountain man look going on and Jill is into the whole hippie/midwidery/essential oils. Let's hope they don' go that route. I watched some of the Anast videos and they are coo coo to say the least. It's almost like new age/voo doo meet fundie. Very strange. 

Trust me. Derick looks creepier than a mountain man.

47 minutes ago, meowmeow19 said:

Remember when Michelle's best friends gave her a makeover? She looked stunning! She came home and Boob was like "I like your hair better the other way", and she did that awful fake smile. 

I hated that episode.  She looked great and very up to date.  All she could think about was if JB would approve and of course he hated it.  

• keen23 locked this topic

Archived