IGNORED

Real Life Fundie Encounters - Part 3

happy atheist

We did the 'hands on the cart' thing.  It worked most of the time.  sometimes I just shopped with two carts, kids stuffed in one and pulled the one for groceries behind.  We also went through a fun phase where one of my boys would sit on the bottom of the cart and pull it along with his feet.  I'd be out front, the cart following with me instructing it to 'come on' or 'whoa'.  Also remember when they got big enough to push the cart, I learned to put my foot up when I stopped to avoid getting banged in the calves.

• Upvote 3

Hi everyone! I've been a long time lurker hut finally decided to make an account in the new year.

This happened a few months ago, at the beginning of this past semester. I took a class in the Christian New Testament at my university, hoping to gain some insight about other religions, traditions, etc. On the first day, the professor assigned us groups that we would be working with throughout the semester. We got into our groups and discussed the required texts (a Christian Bible among others) and I asked my group for recommendations on translations, as I didn't own a Bible that included the New Testament. Immediately, an older woman in my group got this funny look on her face and asked me how that was possible. I told her I was Jewish, and she went on to give me a lecture about accepting Jesus and the word, etc. She never did give me a recommended translation though. I didn't find out until later in the semester (when she mentioned keeping shabbas, and later actually stated it) that she was SDA. I'd never actually met anyone from the group before, but the experience definitely left a sour taste in my mouth.

Edited by Coconut Flan
Removed tapatalk signature.
  • Upvote 9

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2016 at 2:07 PM, Kitcae said:
@J'BekaIt looks like the Bright Lights conference is in Shiloh, IL.  Here's the page where you can register.

Oops! Sorry I went MIA. Shiloh is right down the road from me and I was 24 at the time so I should have gone. I wonder if Mary Elizabeth Arndt was there.

Edited by choralcrusader8613
tapa sig

On December 6, 2016 at 7:33 AM, Pukingpearl said:

I grew up in a very conservative Christian town, and there was a tendency there to be obsessed with all things Hebrew/Old Testament. People wanted to learn Hebrew words, some of them started to follow Kosher diets (not many, though; the attachment to bacon was stronger than their faith), we even had someone come to our church and show us how to hold an authentic Passover Seder. Few of these people were actually familiar with someone of he Jewish faith, however. It was more of a way to make their religion seem more authentic, in my opinion. As someone who loves history and culture, it was appealing to me at a young age. 

Is this why the Duggars don't eat pork? Copying Jewish customs? 

Please kill me now. 2 people on my Facebook (1 of which I really like) are fangiring Debi pearls created to be his helpmeet. I want to scream.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, EmiGirl said:

Please kill me now. 2 people on my Facebook (1 of which I really like) are fangiring Debi pearls created to be his helpmeet. I want to scream.

Oh my Lord no. What on earth are they thinking? FB cull may be needed. 

• Upvote 3

My area has a small Amish population and what I call "black car" Mennonites.  There's a Mennonite-run store that started as an addition on a house, and has grown to the size of a Wegmans(Northeast grocery chain.)I used to go there quite a bit, but after I saw To Beat Up A Child in the book section, I walked out and never went back.

I also occasionally see Amish women at the laundromat I patronize(there's a laundry room in my complex, but it's more expensive and takes longer).  I didn't think that was allowed, but I'm sure it varies among groups.  I wouldn't want to deal with a wringer washer, especially this time of year.

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, smittykins said:

My area has a small Amish population and what I call "black car" Mennonites.  There's a Mennonite-run store that started as an addition on a house, and has grown to the size of a Wegmans(Northeast grocery chain.)I used to go there quite a bit, but after I saw To Beat Up A Child in the book section, I walked out and never went back.

I also occasionally see Amish women at the laundromat I patronize(there's a laundry room in my complex, but it's more expensive and takes longer).  I didn't think that was allowed, but I'm sure it varies among groups.  I wouldn't want to deal with a wringer washer, especially this time of year.

Wegman's? Did you just say Wegman's??? The first one I visited was in Ithaca, & I absolutely fell in love with it. Sadly, though, the closest stores are several hours away (not a big deal, usually; I've even visited one in Massachusetts), so I try to go to one when I can. Maybe someday it'll come to the Albany area, but given Price Chopper's major presence, it probably won't; but then again, I never thought we'd get a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's, either, & now we have both.

:: please feel free to return to  your regularly-scheduled thread topic; I usually get all cracked out when I see a topic that I love ::

• Upvote 5

Wegmans is the best!  they're huge in my area, and they're the only grocery store i go to.  several years ago, Alec Baldwin did some commercials for them (just basic ads); they asked him because he had gone on Letterman saying that his mother wouldn't move from Syracuse to LA because she didn't want to leave Wegmans.  the ads are probably on youtube.

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

Noticed this place on the drive back from St. Louis today.

http://www.yaiy.org/

Yahweh's Assembly in Yashua.  Based on a brief poking about on their website looks like a variety of Selective Judaism for Jesus.  

• Upvote 1

On 1/20/2017 at 8:02 AM, smittykins said:

The thing about the Amish is they are often able to get around the rules. Like they could never have a phone in their home, but they could have a shed on their property for a phone. They may not be able to own a car, but they can get rides in other people's cars. So the whole laundry mat thing doesn't surprise me at all. They can't have a washing machine in their home but they can go to a laundry mat. 

I say this as someone who grew up around the Amish. Yes, different groups have different rules, but there are some rules that all of them seem to skirt around. 

• Upvote 6

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a polygamist last week here in Apex,NC.  He had two wives and one child. 

I don't know what flavor of fundie the family was but the husband dressed like Jim bob and the wives were in lularoe type dresses.

The kid was wearing a dress, short sleeve shirt and leggings-like Hannie Duggar.

___

My computer's' spellcheck  wanted to change Duggar to Slugger.

• Upvote 5

I was at the doctor's yesterday,  the doctor shares  a suite with the local ultra sound place.. An Amish couple came in. She looked about 20 weeks pg, they were waiting to get an ultrasound. My dr who is in family practice delivers a fair number of Amish babies. 

• Upvote 5

This morning we were in Brownwood, TX, home of Howard Payne University.  "HPU offers a private, liberal arts/professional education upholding traditional Christian values" and is affiliated with the Baptist General Convention of Texas.  I never knew that until today.  In keeping with other small to medium cities in this part of Texas, you can't swing a (metaphorical) cat without hitting a Baptist or Christian college or university. We stayed overnight at a motel on the outskirts of Brownwood and this morning went searching for breakfast and ended up driving through a nice old neighborhood and then past HPU.  We kept driving and not too far past HPU we spotted a little place in a house : Common Grounds Coffee and Deli right in the neighborhood.  We went in, ordered, and sat down.  Then I realized the music was  contemporary Christian rock and there was a Bible verse on the dry board behind the counter, along with a little placard on the counter about their missions to people in coffee growing regions in Africa.  Food was really good, tea was organic and just excellent.  All the staff were college students and very sweet and wholesome, so assuming they were all HPU students.  We were the first customers of the day.  Before we left they were doing a land-office business at the drive through.  Trust me when I tell you that this is the ONLY place like this in Brownwood. 

Today we got to Abilene, TX, which was our destination all along (mountain bike race).  We overshot our turn to the race venue and went past a really, really large brand new church with a somewhat contemporary design.  The sign on the front said Beltway Church and underneath that, Beltway Coffee Co.  Wha?  Anyway, Beltway Coffee is a ministry of Beltway Church.  Not exactly fundy encounters, but church + coffee seems to be a good fit.  How these new churches have the $$$ to buy land and built these campus-type churches is beyond me. 

Which brings us, of course, to Coffee With Jesus

Screenshot 2017-03-04 at 8.21.43 PM.png

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 5

@Howl until I enlarged the cartoon I thought Jesus was saying 'I have no free WiFi'- which seemed like a negative point for his coffee shop.

• Upvote 16

1 hour ago, EmainMacha said:

I thought Jesus was saying 'I have no free WiFi'

Jesus should bring the free Wifi with his Awesome Self where ever He goes.   Bring it.

• Upvote 12

Island Ford Baptist Church appears to be one of the sending churches for Jody and family. I don't know if they still support him, however there is an old family photo on the page of missions that they currently support. They appear to be an independent fundamental Baptist church based in Kentucky http://www.ifbc.wsof.org/

He's also on the lists from three other churches: Lighthouse Baptist Church, Mississippi, Welcome Baptist Church, North Carolina and Love Valley Baptist Church, North Carolina. I think all these are also IFBC.

There is also a new update on the Lighthouse Baptist church in Carlisles Facebook page of a recent mother daughter tea. In it there appears to be a photo of Ginger and one of her daughters. Given that the event took place on a Saturday I would guess that they are still yet to plant there own church and are regular visitors in Carlisle still.

Edited by FrumperedCat
Additonal info
  • Upvote 2

I have a friend who is the youngest daughter in a large fundie family. (I say friend loosely, I am in my late 30's and she is a 22 year old SAHD, but through my job we have gotten to know one another. )

She is hoping to enter a courtship soon, with a non-fundie guy from our work also. And this experience is insane.

They aren't allowed to talk. At all. Until their courtship is official. (As soon as her parents found out she liked him? They required her to cut off all communication. He is meeting with her dad for bible studies to get to the point where he will approve courtship.)

The whole thing? Blows my mind. What's more? A fairly normal young guy (who I know has had "worldly experiences") is willing to jump through these hoops!!

• Upvote 9

42 minutes ago, Scribber said:

They aren't allowed to talk. At all. Until their courtship is official. (As soon as her parents found out she liked him? They required her to cut off all communication. He is meeting with her dad for bible studies to get to the point where he will approve courtship.)

The whole thing? Blows my mind. What's more? A fairly normal young guy (who I know has had "worldly experiences") is willing to jump through these hoops!!

What on earth makes the guy go for this? If they aren't allowed to talk, did he even get to know her well enough to like her? Is she ridiculously beautiful? Is the guy incredibly socially awkward and feels this is his one chance?

• Upvote 6

On 3/7/2017 at 11:56 AM, Scribber said:

I have a friend who is the youngest daughter in a large fundie family. (I say friend loosely, I am in my late 30's and she is a 22 year old SAHD, but through my job we have gotten to know one another. )

She is hoping to enter a courtship soon, with a non-fundie guy from our work also. And this experience is insane.

Let's just hope he's jumping through the hoops until marriage and then they can leave the fundie bullshit behind them. 

• Upvote 3

Let's just hope he's jumping through the hoops until marriage and then they can leave the fundie bullshit behind them. 

This is my hope! I don't see him playing along long-term. (He comes from a very "Normal" family. They are Christian, but not fundamental at all.)

She's a gorgeous girl, and he's a slightly awkward guy (although attractive - if I were ten years younger [emoji38][emoji38] ) but beyond that? I just don't get it.
  • Upvote 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic