IGNORED

Bates Courtship

singsingsing

I like that Chad refers to Erin's family as "The Bates Family," not "The Bates's."

Chad seems like a nice fellow, so someone should tell him the matchy-matchy thing is icky and looks stupid.

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like chad's view on what love really means. At least he didn't throw in random bible verses and use the words "obedient" and "submissive". There's definitely spark between them and I think it's cute how he tells the public how much he loves and care for her. Honestly, I prefer them like this than other fundie couples who refrain from showing any emotions until engagement/marriage.

The above message, so much. YES, that is supposed to be life together about: SHARED responsibilities! Managing life together shoulder to shoulder! He's doing chores together with her and *gasp* enjoys it because he is accompanied by Erin. Anyone can come forward with a sarcastic and negative comment how it's "only" about the dishes and how it does not mean anything. It f*cking does.

slow the love train down. these are still ati followers. so he does dishes? the Maxwell boys make bread and the duggat girls lay foundation and can drive heavy machinery. does not change what the represent.

slow the love train down. these are still ati followers. so he does dishes? the Maxwell boys make bread and the duggat girls lay foundation and can drive heavy machinery. does not change what the represent.

true, but for once a young ATI couple seems actually mutually happy. That seems worth mentioning. I guess most of us are jaded and sick of the adoring submissive wifey looks and "oh yes!" interjections to whatever their headship says. It's refreshing to see something different, even if it is still Gothardism.

Someone asked Kelly about Erin's hair on their family blog. According to Kelly, Erin rolls her hair in foam rollers at night and styles her hair in the morning. Erin is trying to avoid damaging her hair with hot rollers or curling irons.

That sounds like a major pain. Also vain. It seems that many fundie women, having relatively few true creative outlets, channel a lot of energy into keeping their mane glorious. It's almost like an appendage, often draped over the shoulder nearest the camera for display, too.

Awww, she's my favorite fundy Barbie! I think her outfit is kinda cute--and the skirt is not abnormally long. Kind of freakish that mom & dad still have to go along as chaperones. Any Knoxvillians out there--do you think the photos are taken down at the Tennessee riverfront? Maybe Volunteer landing?

And hurray for Chad for helping with kitchen cleanup. Hope Erin is willing to forgo the foam rollers for her wedding night! : )

I believe it is Volunteer Landing, the parking garage in the one picture looks like the one at Neyland Stadium. I guess they had dinner at Calhoun's. Darn it! I was there on valentines day. How I would have loved to have seen them! Too bad Erin wasn't allowed to get a real education at U.T.

edited because I should read more carefully, the were there after V. day, DUH!

They are touching. It still freaks me out to see a non-engaged fundie couple touch the way they do. Is Chad groping her waist in the last picture?? Seriously. Throwing away their purity like they're mentally healthy people who actually like each other! What has fundamentalism come down to!

That sounds like a major pain. Also vain. It seems that many fundie women, having relatively few true creative outlets, channel a lot of energy into keeping their mane glorious. It's almost like an appendage, often draped over the shoulder nearest the camera for display, too.

And good luck maintaining that routine when you're essentially the sole caregiver of a blessing or two or seven.

I don't keep pet fundies because it is just so hard to get the stains out of the carpet... but I just don't have a lot of snark for these two. Sure the sugar levels are high enough to put even the casual reader in a diabetic coma but in their defense - they are young and in love. Also in their defense: they are adults, they seem to be acting with free will, they have taken a reasonable period of time to get to know each other, there don't seem to be any complicating family/financial etc factors. Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age but I am even giving them a pass on the matchy matchy outfits.

I don't keep pet fundies because it is just so hard to get the stains out of the carpet... but I just don't have a lot of snark for these two. Sure the sugar levels are high enough to put even the casual reader in a diabetic coma but in their defense - they are young and in love. Also in their defense: they are adults, they seem to be acting with free will, they have taken a reasonable period of time to get to know each other, there don't seem to be any complicating family/financial etc factors. Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age but I am even giving them a pass on the matchy matchy outfits.

Wouldn't it be something if the Duggar childern follow suit? Not waiting until engagement to say I love you and having private time during their courtship.

Chad seems like a nice fellow, so someone should tell him the matchy-matchy thing is icky and looks stupid.

For true matchy-matchy, google "Korean couple tees".

Someone asked Kelly about Erin's hair on their family blog. According to Kelly, Erin rolls her hair in foam rollers at night and styles her hair in the morning. Erin is trying to avoid damaging her hair with hot rollers or curling irons.

Thanks, didn't see that comment! Really? Those corkscrew curls are done without heat?? Didn't know that this is possible! But she's got to be teasing the upper part, right? I'm really curious about her wedding hair.

I'm pretty sure when the blessings keep coming she'll either have a perm like mullet or some easy hairstyle like Kelly since ain't nobody got time fo dat!

Plus, who wants to have sweet, sweet fellowship with a foam-roller-head woman? We know fundies can only do it in bed in the dark.

Those corkscrew curls are at the bottom half of her fairly long hair, so it seems she's only rolling the curlers part way up. Though her hair looks very thick (who knows, it could be the styling products) so that's as much as the rollers can hold.

ETA: I was surprised she used rollers. These days the only time I see women with hair in rollers is under the dryers at the the hair salon. It used to be typical to see women with their hair in rollers walking around before the days of hot rollers and curling irons.

In high school I used to sleep in those foam rollers. You have to position your head just so in order to not be in pain. You can get those kind of curls with them, but it is just as damaging as using heat. The tension from the wrapping you have to do -especially if your hair is super long like mine was and hers is- will make your hair just snap and break. I do think she has lovely hair and am looking forward to seeing what gravity defying super hold style she does. I'm thinking she's going to do a version of the Gibson Girl 'do.

I can't imagine doing all that just to hang out w siblings and wrangle toddlers all day.

I can't imagine doing all that just to hang out w siblings and wrangle toddlers all day.

Word. When I was doing it, I was trying to look hot for the boys. Big boys specifically, and not little ones I had to diaper and powder.

Word. When I was doing it, I was trying to look hot for the boys. Big boys specifically, and not little ones I had to diaper and powder.

True story. Don't know how it feels when you are told from toddler-age that God's frowning when you dress sloppy

For true matchy-matchy, google "Korean couple tees".

Confession: when my DH and I were planning our honeymoon I looked at those and really considered getting one or two outfits, though didn't end up doing it. But some of them are so much cuter than hideous matching bright polo shirt and khakis the fundies wear!

In high school I used to sleep in those foam rollers. You have to position your head just so in order to not be in pain. You can get those kind of curls with them, but it is just as damaging as using heat. The tension from the wrapping you have to do -especially if your hair is super long like mine was and hers is- will make your hair just snap and break. I do think she has lovely hair and am looking forward to seeing what gravity defying super hold style she does. I'm thinking she's going to do a version of the Gibson Girl 'do.

Foam rollers were more comfortable than brush rollers or hard plastic ones. I tried rolling my hair exactly once and found it so painful that I swore to never do it again. My sister, on the other hand, slept in rollers every night of her teenage years.

I think it is much easier to get that corkscrew look with a straighter. But the hot rollers are good for volume.

Rag curls are where it's at! Before I chopped my hair, I used rag curls. I have a natural wave/curl and if I didn't "encourage" curls then I had frizz. So I used rags curls because they are comfy to sleep in.

I don't think she'll have problems with keeping up the curls, but I don't think she'll have the time to keep up with the teasing and spraying once the blessings come.

Oh, snap, I used those too! They are LOTS more comfy, but I didn't find them until I was in my second year of nursing school. Why the hell did I torture myself for years?! Just so I'm sure, you're talking about the little sort of pillow looking things that tie at the ends, right?

PS Keeeeep posting. Love the avatar. Yummy.

LOL! Yes. I do love my avatar.

Yeah ,I have seen those types of curlers. But I just used strips of an old t-shirt. The tightness of the curl depends on how thick the strip is or how tight you roll the hair around it. I liked them. The gave me the same result as the pink foam rollers with a bit less frizz, especially if used a piece of tissue over the end tips of my hair.

Archived