IGNORED

Jill Duggar is Now a Lay Midwife

roddma

I'm fairly anal about blood pressure techniques and I don't think her technique is that bad at all. I'm terribly UNfond of not supoprting an arm as you are supposed to when the person is upright, and I don't see how she's going to control her air going in nor the correct flow going out by allowing the child to assist her, but I would cite her at fault for where her thumb is per se.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm fairly anal about blood pressure techniques and I don't think her technique is that bad at all. I'm terribly UNfond of not supoprting an arm as you are supposed to when the person is upright, and I don't see how she's going to control her air going in nor the correct flow going out by allowing the child to assist her, but I would cite her at fault for where her thumb is per se.

Because the child is "helping," perhaps Jill is merely pretending to take a BP.

I'm not going to nitpick Jill's BP technique since mine is pretty weak. They didn't spent much time teaching proper usage of BP cuffs or putting in lines in med school. Hubby is also a doc and notes the nurses always do those things in the hospital (well, except putting in central lines). We do get a lot of practice with our stethoscope.

The more worrisome thing for me is Jill appears to not have any foundational medical knowledge to fall back on if minor issues arise during delivery. I'm assuming she will never deliver ALONE? Then it's ok to just have her get some experience with labor and delivery. It's just that pregnancy, while natural, still requires someone with medical knowledge to understand when something is wrong.

From what I've read, non-nurse midwives like Jill and her mentor aren't required to have medical knowledge, as they only work with low-risk clients. I'm actually a bit confused about the different types of midwives and the licensing. A non-nurse midwife doesn't sound all that safe to me.

Not that wiki is a great medical education piece, but since I can't get my nursing texts directly on this page...

http://www.wikihow.com/Check-Your-Blood ... omanometer

It does mention the thumb/pulse thing. I've seen it in action in the hospital with a student nurse who couldn't seem to get a correct reading on a shared patient. I wasn't aware it was such an unknown "rule" since they hammered it into us at the very beginning of school...

Mommy's Butterfly the lady Jill is assisting with, Vanessa, is definitely fundie, she just started an event;

Join us for a time of fellowship with other Natural Mamas to dicuss a variety of topics dealing with natural parenting using Pathways magazine as a topic guide!

Anyone live in Rogers Arkansas and want to go along? :D

Mommy's Butterfly the lady Jill is assisting with, Vanessa, is definitely fundie, she just started an event;

Anyone live in Rogers Arkansas and want to go along? :D

Omg I nave. A friend who lives in Rogers but she wont go cause she thinks the duggars are ordinary people who shouldn't be bothered... perhaps I should visit if my work schedule allows...

whoa some pics from Wednesday:

409614_420331781343268_1682764622_n.jpg

JANA!

487674_420331618009951_1181934418_n.jpg

and Jill.

She looks so different with her hair back and no spackling junk on her face and braces off.

From what I've read, non-nurse midwives like Jill and her mentor aren't required to have medical knowledge, as they only work with low-risk clients. I'm actually a bit confused about the different types of midwives and the licensing. A non-nurse midwife doesn't sound all that safe to me.

A non-nurse midwife sounds scary as hell. I was a "low-risk client" until the day of my son's birth. Following the emergncy c-section, the doctors had to give my son oxygen to get him breathing. I can't imagine what the "Mommy's Butterfly" team would have done except get us to the hospital.

Is Jana being a lay midwife too? Or is this the chaperone thing?

Well I believe it was originally Jana's first idea and calling I believe, but I think it was only Jill who had the guts and determination to actually go ahead and do what she has done now with it. I don't believe Jana is even signed up as a lay/assistant like Jill is, so I'm not even sure why she is even there or the legalities of her being there/ helping out would be?

• 2 weeks later...

Jill helped deliver another blessing today. I have to say I am kinda impressed at how often I am seeing her pop up. Clearly she is actively involved and taking this role seriously and helping with many births. I just really wish she could continue with this further and get wholely educated and make a real goal of it with even as a business of her own in the future, but I doubt that is going to happen.

575984_425153140861132_1158840611_n.jpg

Hey Diddle, diddle,

Someone new, someone little....

Introducing baby Peter Avraham @ 5:08 this morning;)

Why? When I am looking for a new health care provider I don't find out what religion they are. I check that they have a valid medical license, if there is any disciplinary action, and if they've been arrested for DWI. I could care less what their religion is. I know my GI doc is Muslim because he was on TV at a community meeting regarding building a mosque in that suburb. And my lung doctor is an Israeli and Jewish because he told me in one of our many conversations. My other doctors, I don't know.

Not everybody is as open as you are Nurse Nell.

FLASHBACK: After I informed my nursing class that I was an atheist and I would have no problem promoting any religion my patients had my nursing professor told the entire class that she would never have an atheist (or person from another religion) treat her because she couldn't ever really trust them. What was amazing is that the twelve other students all agreed with her! They made me feel as if I wasn't even human.

Is it normal to photograph yourself with all the babies you help deliver? I don't know anyone who has had kids recently who allowed all nurses/midwives/doctors to snap a shot of them holding the baby alone.

Is it normal to photograph yourself with all the babies you help deliver? I don't know anyone who has had kids recently who allowed all nurses/midwives/doctors to snap a shot of them holding the baby alone.

I'm friends with several midwives and while I don't know about this being "normal", I would say it is not unusual. With Jill being so new, I can understand why she's really be into getting a picture with the babies.

I wonder if these parents sign releases for their children's photo's to be posted on the interwebs? I'm guessing many are fame whores like the duggars.

After I informed my nursing class that I was an atheist and I would have no problem promoting any religion my patients had my nursing professor told the entire class that she would never have an atheist (or person from another religion) treat her because she couldn't ever really trust them. What was amazing is that the twelve other students all agreed with her! They made me feel as if I wasn't even human.

One of my close friends once told me that she would rather have a doctor who believed in a deity than an atheist doctor because she felt the former would work harder to save her. When I said, "But the atheist doctor thinks this is your one shot at life while the other one thinks you'll either get reincarnated or go on to the afterlife," she couldn't come up with a response.

I'm friends with several midwives and while I don't know about this being "normal", I would say it is not unusual. With Jill being so new, I can understand why she's really be into getting a picture with the babies.

I wonder if they're like student teachers and have to tape some of the births? At any rate, I imagine the fundie community is thrilled that Jill Duggar (chaperoned by Jana) attended the birth of their babies and would certainly request a picture with their newborns. Actually, I'd be shocked if the mothers DIDN'T request it, given the Duggars' local fame (in their eyes at any rate).

One of my close friends once told me that she would rather have a doctor who believed in a deity than an atheist doctor because she felt the former would work harder to save her. When I said, "But the atheist doctor thinks this is your one shot at life while the other one thinks you'll either get reincarnated or go on to the afterlife," she couldn't come up with a response.

And if something goes wrong, the atheist won't say "It was God's will."

with midwives you tend to get to know them much better than an OB spending 30 to 60 minutes per appointment and discussing your care so taking pictures with the babies is totally understandable to me.

In Canada if you go with a homebirth, yes you have to be low risk but I know that they bring oxygen with them for the baby incase of issues and also they have medication to stop bleeding... and if something goes wrong/an issue arrises they are willing and able to get you to a hospital to keep you and the baby healthy..... (I wanted a home birth with my midwife after a really bad experiance with an OB)

And if something goes wrong, the atheist won't say "It was God's will."

Honestly...this might sound bad but I'd be far more comfortable with a non-religious doctor.

I just assumed that after the baby is born and while the Mom is cleaning up showering bathing etc there was pleanty of time for pics. Plus I think with midwifery there is more emotional investment for the people involved than say a normal nurse/doctor.

Not everybody is as open as you are Nurse Nell.

FLASHBACK: After I informed my nursing class that I was an atheist and I would have no problem promoting any religion my patients had my nursing professor told the entire class that she would never have an atheist (or person from another religion) treat her because she couldn't ever really trust them. What was amazing is that the twelve other students all agreed with her! They made me feel as if I wasn't even human.

19 dogs and counting: what a sad story. That is incredibly unprofessional (not to mention inappropriate) of the nursing instructor. Especially in today's healthcare environment where there are a lot of diverse patients and nurses are expected to interact appropriately and respectfully with patients from other cultures/religions.

Like Nurse Nell, I just don't care what religion my health care providers practice (or don't practice). About the only reason I'd even think about it is if I had credible evidence to suggest that the provider's religion would create a problem for me, for example if a physician would refuse to abort an ectopic pregnancy or do a D and C if I was hemorrhaging during a miscarriage.

But then, one of my parents is devout Baha'i (and a really wonderful parent), so it infuriates me when I read things like what 19 dogs and counting talks about.

hmmm

A Mommy's Butterfly Midwifery

6 minutes ago near Bentonville, AR via Mobile

I stand amazed at how the woman's body was created to give birth even though western medicine will say different. Even more amazing is how we midwives can jump from birth to birth and function on no sleep !!!

Archived