IGNORED

Jill Duggar is Now a Lay Midwife

roddma

To my knowledge, medical and nursing education rarely involves items from Michael's.

My fifth child was delivered by a very new resident with my own doctor right there. I tore (as usual) and the doctor did the stitches while telling the resident what he was doing and why. I hope Jill is getting something like that in addition to her adventures with pink craft foam. I am not sure how or why the pictured lesson would be helpful because foam shares absolutely no characteristics with human flesh. Surely sewing up a raw chicken breast or something similar would be a better experience. Medical and nursing educators can also purchase simulated human skin for an even more analogous texture.

The best stitches I had were from a female doctor. I told her later and she said she did embroidery as a hobby so she hears a lot of compliments on her stitching. Maybe my mad cross-stitch skills will come in handy someday!

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous
This is going to sound like I"m defending the Duggars and I sort of am.....they have NEVER claimed to buy EVERYTHING used.

Yes they did. "Buy used and save the difference" has been the motto for buying everything down to shoes from thrift stores.

I don't get why Jill needs a chaperone to attend a home birth? Exactly what kind of defrauding could possibly be going on in that situation? Plus wouldn't it make the mother uncomfortable to have a complete stranger there watching her give birth?

Veterinary students at my Uni are required to buy two types of artificial skin to be used for stitching practice. Students on large and small animal rotations would carry their flesh blocks everywhere so that they could practice. Heck, I've been to my local pub and watched students sit their flesh blocks on the bar and practice knots while they waited for their meal. Our students also had the opportunity to practice on cadavers when available.

What those girls are doing is a pathetic attempt at an education and it's frightening that they will eventually be allowed hands on practice with patients.

We practiced on chicken breasts and fake skin in medical school. In residency we actually had kits that simulated real mucosa/skin to sew so that it would be anatomically correct. I cannot recall ever being told to sew on a foam block from Hobby Lobby. It may teach you a few types of sutures but it certainly is not even close to being like a realistic situation.

I know nothing about these things, but is it possible you would use something like that if you were a total beginner? If they were just learning the basics would they maybe start on something cheaper?

I know nothing about these things, but is it possible you would use something like that if you were a total beginner? If they were just learning the basics would they maybe start on something cheaper?

I imagine if it is a matter of just learning stitches as a beginner, you practice on cloth. This learning on pink foam is wrong. It's just WRONG.

I imagine if it is a matter of just learning stitches as a beginner, you practice on cloth. This learning on pink foam is wrong. It's just WRONG.

Foam wont shift or pucker under tension the way cloth or skin will.

Foam wont shift or pucker under tension the way cloth or skin will.

Ahh, Gotcha. See? I told you I don't know anything about it :D

I just always want to think of a reason that people aren't REALLY being stupid or jerks or whatever. I even do it with people I am pretty sure aren't that redeemable. I can't help myself. Pollyanna complex?

Ahh, Gotcha. See? I told you I don't know anything about it :D

I just always want to think of a reason that people aren't REALLY being stupid or jerks or whatever. I even do it with people I am pretty sure aren't that redeemable. I can't help myself. Pollyanna complex?

Having a Pollyanna complex is not always a bad thing. But, there are times where people are just being stupid.

• 1 month later...

The Midwife who is training Jill now has a website -

nwamidwife.com/1.html

The first line? "We believe God has created your body to bear and birth your baby."

it has Jill listed as Apprentice Midwife - While Jana is a Birth Assistant (whatever that is?)

Jill Duggar

Apprentice Midwife

Jana Duggar

Birth Assistant

There are email addresses, but I didn't want to post those here.

OH and checkout their "WHAT WE BELIEVE" section -

nwamidwife.com/7.html

OUR PHILOSOPHY

We deliver babies and build families.

We believe every family has the right to quality health care.

We believe that every person should be treated with dignity and respect.

We believe that “Children are a gift of the Lordâ€. (Psalm 127:3)

We believe that our Lord made a woman’s body to carry and birth babies.

The Duggars favourite quote there!

The bottom of their site also lists a quote from Psalm 139 -"I praise you, because I am fearfully and wonderfully made"

So much for getting out of the house and not drinking the kool-aid...

From the midwife website:

We believe that when parents are given accurate information, the vast majority of them are capable of making the best decision regarding the circumstances for the birth of their baby.

If only they applied this to abortion...

The Midwife who is training Jill now has a website -

nwamidwife.com/1.html

The first line? "We believe God has created your body to bear and birth your baby."

it has Jill listed as Apprentice Midwife - While Jana is a Birth Assistant (whatever that is?)

Jill Duggar

Apprentice Midwife

Jana Duggar

Birth Assistant

There are email addresses, but I didn't want to post those here.

OH and checkout their "WHAT WE BELIEVE" section -

nwamidwife.com/7.html

OUR PHILOSOPHY

We deliver babies and build families.

We believe every family has the right to quality health care.

We believe that every person should be treated with dignity and respect.

We believe that “Children are a gift of the Lordâ€. (Psalm 127:3)

We believe that our Lord made a woman’s body to carry and birth babies.

The Duggars favourite quote there!

The bottom of their site also lists a quote from Psalm 139 -"I praise you, because I am fearfully and wonderfully made"

So much for getting out of the house and not drinking the kool-aid...

What about woman who are not able to have children? What were their bodies made for?

What about woman who are not able to have children? What were their bodies made for?

I know someone who knows some people affiliated with this particular midwife group and, while I can't say for sure, I think they probably intended that quote in reference to what they see as unnecessary intervention by doctors and the way they feel the modern medical system looks at childbirth as an illness to be managed. I think they're being specific to the birth experience, not to a woman's purpose in general. That's just based on the fact that I don't think the person I know would have such nice things to say about the midwives if they were all "women should only be making babies."

I know someone who knows some people affiliated with this particular midwife group and, while I can't say for sure, I think they probably intended that quote in reference to what they see as unnecessary intervention by doctors and the way they feel the modern medical system looks at childbirth as an illness to be managed. I think they're being specific to the birth experience, not to a woman's purpose in general. That's just based on the fact that I don't think the person I know would have such nice things to say about the midwives if they were all "women should only be making babies."

I didn't interpret that as "women should only be making babies" but exactly as you described your friend's beliefs. Which is no less offensive and misguided, in my opinion. And terrifying that an individual with minimal training and this attitude is attempting to assist women who are giving birth.

It's possible that Jana is a birth assistant because Jill needs a chaperone...

That is actually what I was thinking! These kids never seem to do anything alone, always in pairs. I know The Bates Family had said in one of their interviews that the kids always do things in a pair or group, never alone because thats a RULE! Which is how Michael and I think it was Zack and a few of their older ones ALL did the Volunteer fire firefighting/First response thing, before The Duggars.

Considering they are very like The Duggars, and I am assuming that Gothard probably teaches to always have an 'accountability' partner around and to 'give a good report on others' etc. I don't think its a stretch to assume that these kids are never without at least 1 sibling to give a 'report' on what they are doing, no matter what!

Even Jana has only been see at The Journey to the Heart, 'alone' ONCE! And that was when it was being FILMED for TLC... in all other photos since, she always has one of her sisters there! Whether it be Jill or Jessa!

I don't get why Jill needs a chaperone to attend a home birth? Exactly what kind of defrauding could possibly be going on in that situation? Plus wouldn't it make the mother uncomfortable to have a complete stranger there watching her give birth?

Cause when the husband goes for his traditional mid labor nap he might grab the defrauding student midwife and take pieced of her heart.

• 3 weeks later...

Jana and Jill help with the delivery of another blessing today -

575014_484270378282741_174169088_n.jpg

"She’s a heartful,

a hugful of joy and delight.

A sweet little bundle of love at first sight.

Cute and cuddly, full of charms, and custom made to fit in our arms!

Leila Isabel

8 pounds, 4 ounces 20 inches

December 30th, 2012"

If I were having a home birth, I would be highly disturbed that my midwife needed a chaperone. That would creep me the hell out. But that's just me.

I would hope that my midwife and any assistant would at least tie their hair back.

well given the shit poor requirements for a CPM it doesn't surprise me

I would hope that my midwife and any assistant would at least tie their hair back.

My first thought on seeing the picture too!!!

As a mother, I hate the thought of a midwives hair going places the midwife went. (I made sure to braid my own back out of the way so it wouldn't be involve - never mind some elses.) I also imagine that, were I a midwife, I would hate the thought of my hair going somewhere a baby was about to come out.

How do you actually help deliver a baby and still look glamorous at the end? Do these girls go into the bathroom afterwards and redo hair and makeup before allowing photos to be taken?

Archived