IGNORED

Jill Duggar is Now a Lay Midwife

roddma

246756_10152096574235790_1044546092_n.jpg

little alivyah!

So how do you pronounce that name? Alive-yah? or is it supposed to be like Olivia, with a an "ay" or "ah" sound at the front and a quick "yah" at the end..."ay-liv-yah" or "ah-liv-yah" .... Either way, its stupid, and looks funny. Seriously why not just name the child Olivia... NOTHING wrong with that name... seriously.... *sigh*

Holy crap, someone actually used that name? :lol: The only time I've ever heard it was on the satirical mommy blog SeriouslySoBlessed, and it was a total joke :lol:

AFAIK, it's supposed to be pronounced like Olivia.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That poor child has a lifetime of having to spell out her name for everything because they keep writing down "Olivia", like any sane person would assume its spelled.

That poor child has a lifetime of having to spell out her name for everything because they keep writing down "Olivia", like any sane person would assume its spelled.

Exactly. An ex-coworker of mine named her child Alivia. Why not just spell it the standard way and spare your child the headache? :roll: I like unique names, but Alivia isn't unique, it's just misspelled.

Signed, someone who has had to spell her name out for people all her life

Guest Anonymous

And until that child learns how to spell her own name, mom is going to glare at all of the people that spell it with an O.

I had to laugh at that baby's name. On the topic of midwives and training, I hope Jill is prepared for the possibility of something bad happening and a lawsuit happening as a result. But I don't think she is prepared at all, and it might end up bitting her in the ass later on.

Holy crap, someone actually used that name? :lol: The only time I've ever heard it was on the satirical mommy blog SeriouslySoBlessed, and it was a total joke :lol:

AFAIK, it's supposed to be pronounced like Olivia.

That's exactly what came to mind when I saw it. I think someone didn't realize SSB is supposed to be satire.

• 2 weeks later...

As a "lay midwife" is she licensed? Most people in the medical field have to take ongoing continuous education courses to keep their licenses up to date. Does that apply to a lay midwife?

As a "lay midwife" is she licensed? Most people in the medical field have to take ongoing continuous education courses to keep their licenses up to date. Does that apply to a lay midwife?

Read the thread or use the search this has been discussed !!!eleventy!!! times.

Every state is different. Here in CA there are two kinds of midwives, both licensed and very trained: Certified Nurse Midwife (who I used during my homebirth) and a Certified Licensed Midwife who does not have a degree in nursing/midwifery but has extensive experience and training (years of it).

There aren't supposed to be lay midwives here however there is a religious exemption so there are some. I know one, she has been doing it for over 30 years and is very experienced, I would trust her to deliver my own child. But now they are calling for all midwives to be licensed, and she went in for rigorous testing to get that.

There was another "religious midwife" here (these are fundies for sure) who nearly killed my friend. She had a "calling" to be a midwife but didn't have any training. She couldn't recognize a serious problem and when my friend transferred to the hospital with her uterus on the verge of rupturing she told her to "tell them you didn't have a midwife, I don't want to get into trouble." She moved to Utah where the laws are much more relaxed because here in CA she would have ended up being prosecuted.

In other states you can be a midwife without being licensed. My OTHER friend (can you tell I am involved in the natural birth community?) became a midwife in Utah by apprenticing. She then made a trip to the Philippines for a 6 week stint in a maternity hospital - apparently this is what a lot of midwives do to get the hours needed for licensing. She did this twice and trained with a midwife. These are both licensed and unlicensed "direct-entry" midwives, and a lot of states have them. This is what Jill is doing.

(btw my midwife friend in Utah (she lives in St. George which is the closest town to Colorado City, where there big Warren Jeffs compound is) recently met with some FLDS women - full out prairie dress wearing polygamists. She let them know that she was available to deliver their babies so maybe she will be doing more FLDS births. If this is the case I told her I am flying out there to be her "assistant" because I would LOVE to see the FLDS, they are my fundie favorites. But I digress)

In Arkansas Jill is becoming a "licensed lay midwife" meaning not a nurse, but still trained and licensed. They do not allow lay midwives who are not licensed. The department of health regulates them and has a program for them to complete.

She wouldn't be able to give medications like my nurse midwife was able to (for example I was bleeding on the heavy side so she gave me a shot of methergine to stop it. Licensed midwives use herbs)

I wonder if Jill has attended a difficult birth yet?

As long as the training is in-depth and legit, I'm just glad to see Jana working. And such a defrauding job, too! I hope she enjoys herself and is excellent at her work for the sake of the lives in her hands.

• 4 weeks later...
227549_10152187847780790_471503954_n.jpg

We announce the birth of this precious boy, Titus Alexander!

223730_460272617349184_1053491374_n.png

Practice makes perfect! Suturing workshop!

So, the pink foam block represents the lady parts to be sutured???

Can lay midwives do suturing?

At least she's doing something outside the house and family.

I really want to know if it's her plan to escape and she's being sneaky, or if she really isn't like that.

Interesting... I'm wondering what pre-approved websites Jill is viewing...

At this point I think all of those older girls probably have the internet password (whereas before it was just Jana?). No way is Michelle bothering to monitor the internet access when she can just get the J'slaves to do it. Plus, we all know about how girls aren't tempted like boys, or something. I think we saw JD looking at cars and shit online when the rest of the family lived in Little Rock as well. I'd bet from Jinger or Jessa up all have internet access.

So, the pink foam block represents the lady parts to be sutured???

I'm totally going to look like a perv, but she looks quite ample bosomed in the top pic... and yeah I cannot get over learning to suture on pink foam blocks... :shock:

This is going to sound like I"m defending the Duggars and I sort of am.....they have NEVER claimed to buy EVERYTHING used. And, like most Dave Ramsey followers, they have put off buying new to build financial freedom first. No they can comfortably afford a few things and do buy them.

It looks like she has a Vera Bradley laptop cover sticker on her computer too. I wonder how those are purchased used??

Do we know that the laptop is actually a Duggar laptop? And, maybe she did buy it on sale or something--that's another way to not pay full price. My cousin bags fabulous deals by watching sales, having store credit cards to get extra discounts (she's the only person alive I know who buys the item and then marches to the store office and pays off her account EVERY TIME).

At least she's doing something outside the house and family.

EXACTLY!! And, Gothard does say that girls whose father's let them, can enroll in nursing since he hasn't found a way to offer that due to the clinical experiences.

As for poor baby Alivya--Oiy! At least she won't have the hell of going to school with that mess. But like poor Jinger (which always seems like "finger" to me) she's condemned to saying "No, really, it's just Olivia"

No way would I let her near me with a 'needle and thread'! I know too many gals who've been re admitted to hospital months later to get their botched stitching re done.

Just as an aside... Here in Ireland, your baby is normally delivered by a midwife (proper - certified/direct entry degree) and rarely by a doctor. So most people (if they need stitches) prefer to be stitched by a midwife rather than a doc because they're more experienced at the old needlework. No offence doctor but I'd rather the midwife did it!

Archived