emesbe

That would fit in with her wierd thing about goingto asleep over as a kid, something bad happened, and she was glad that her younger sibs never went to a sleep over. I'll try to track the post about it down.

She insists in "Hearts" that the incident wasn't anything secular people would find a problem, but she never does spell out just what it was, so who knows. I mean, who even knows what Sarah would consider to be normal secular behavior, for that matter...

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hopefully the bride will be able to customize the kitchen to her liking, but I have little hope that she'll feel comfortable enough in "her husband's" home to install any of her own taste into it.

I hope the bride decides to follow her family tradition and keeps a tree or large potted plant by the kitchen table and decorates it up for every holiday - her family blog has tons of pics of that thing for every birthday, Father's Day, regular "it's summer and we're happy about that," etc. The themes and decorations are pretty cool, and you can tell the family has F*N with it.

There's quite the contrast (as this entire thread has been talking about too) between her family and the Maxwells when it comes to fun and whimsy. I hope she can prevail in this.

I remember Sarah's sleepover incident being brought up in another thread and some members tried to guess what the incident was. I thought maybe that the Ouija board was brought out or the girls Sarah was with were talking about boys. I'm three years younger than Sarah and back in the 90's, the sleepovers I went to did some stuff like boy talk or small pranks that a lot of people wouldn't have issues with. I remember at one sleepover we did the Ouija board and tarot cards.

I remember Sarah's sleepover incident being brought up in another thread and some members tried to guess what the incident was. I thought maybe that the Ouija board was brought out or the girls Sarah was with were talking about boys. I'm three years younger than Sarah and back in the 90's, the sleepovers I went to did some stuff like boy talk or small pranks that a lot of people wouldn't have issues with. I remember at one sleepover we did the Ouija board and tarot cards.

Could be. or it could be something as innocent as the other kids drinking pepsi.

I agree, it must have been a Ouija board or undie freezing type thing. In the early 90s (I'm 3.5 years older than Sarah) when I was doing the sleepover circuit I remember being freaked out by the Ouija board (to this day I won't go near one!) and the scary stories. Some girls have a knack for scaring the sh*t out of other girls. I'd also posit the guess that Sarah might have witnessed a game of spin the bottle between other girls or some other sexual exploration. Maybe some girl was masturbating when she thought everyone was asleep and Sarah heard her or something. I remember girls telling secrets and playing truth or dare. Sometimes the dares were to kiss another girl or call a boy and say something embarrassing. Some of the secrets shared were probably bogus but rather outrageous. A naive girl like Sarah might have seen all this as ungodly behavior that will send participants straight to hell.

Whatever it was I'm sure it was perfectly okay for most of us. I wouldn't personally kiss another woman, but whatever girls can be silly and no harm no foul as far I'm concerned. But, then again I don't worry about the wrath of G-d every minute of every day.

edited because I put down the 80s not the 90s :-)

Also to add: I can't get over the fact that here I am with multiple graduate degrees almost finished, a part time non profit fellowship, I have a fiance and we own a house and each have a decent car. We have friends, we do lack time to hang out with them but that should change soon. We go to plays and theater and baseball games, our schedule is tight but we are in control of it ourselves. We might not have much of it in the bank but we have a decent amount put away for retirement and can afford to make our house look the way we want, within limits of course. Overall, we're pretty friggin' normal!!!!

Poor Sarah, what does she have? She probably doesn't have a penny to her name or friends of her own or even the ability to dictate her own schedule once a week. She doesn't seem to have a car or freedoms like picking her own clothing. SHe doesn't have opportunities and she certainly lacks prospects for finding love and having a relationship. She works writing insipid books that are more boring than the manual to my dishwasher and the funds generated from those books do not go to her enrichment. She's basically got less than a lot of 5 year olds I know. At least those five year olds are getting an education and can pick what they will wear tomorrow morning.

I agree, it must have been a Ouija board or undie freezing type thing. In the early 90s (I'm 3.5 years older than Sarah) when I was doing the sleepover circuit I remember being freaked out by the Ouija board (to this day I won't go near one!) and the scary stories. Some girls have a knack for scaring the sh*t out of other girls. I'd also posit the guess that Sarah might have witnessed a game of spin the bottle between other girls or some other sexual exploration. Maybe some girl was masturbating when she thought everyone was asleep and Sarah heard her or something. I remember girls telling secrets and playing truth or dare. Sometimes the dares were to kiss another girl or call a boy and say something embarrassing. Some of the secrets shared were probably bogus but rather outrageous. A naive girl like Sarah might have seen all this as ungodly behavior that will send participants straight to hell.

Whatever it was I'm sure it was perfectly okay for most of us. I wouldn't personally kiss another woman, but whatever girls can be silly and no harm no foul as far I'm concerned. But, then again I don't worry about the wrath of G-d every minute of every day.

Also to add: I can't get over the fact that here I am with multiple graduate degrees almost finished, a part time non profit fellowship, I have a fiance and we own a house and each have a decent car. We have friends, we do lack time to hang out with them but that should change soon. We go to plays and theater and baseball games, our schedule is tight but we are in control of it ourselves. We might not have much of it in the bank but we have a decent amount put away for retirement and can afford to make our house look the way we want, within limits of course. Overall, we're pretty friggin' normal!!!!

Poor Sarah, what does she have? She probably doesn't have a penny to her name or friends of her own or even the ability to dictate her own schedule once a week. She doesn't seem to have a car or freedoms like picking her own clothing. SHe doesn't have opportunities and she certainly lacks prospects for finding love and having a relationship. She works writing insipid books that are more boring than the manual to my dishwasher and the funds generated from those books do not go to her enrichment. She's basically got less than a lot of 5 year olds I know. At least those five year olds are getting an education and can pick what they will wear tomorrow morning.

I agree with this. I wouldn't be surprised if Sarah doesn't have a bank account or even access to some of the Moody book profits. I know several women that are in their early 30's that are currently single, but they have a lot in their lives. I think if Sarah did escape, she would have a lot of problems integrating into the real world.

She insists in "Hearts" that the incident wasn't anything secular people would find a problem, but she never does spell out just what it was, so who knows. I mean, who even knows what Sarah would consider to be normal secular behavior, for that matter...

They probably watched a Veggie Tales video (TV=evil) or played ping pong (sports=evil).

They probably watched a Veggie Tales video (TV=evil) or played ping pong (sports=evil).

Yeah, I also suspect the TV or some game she wasn't okay with (either sports, or maybe cards). Or possibly that ouija, for games.

Either way Sarah probably felt uncomfortable and then made some comment about it, either telling the others the behavior was outright wrong or maybe even just saying "*I* should leave the room because we're not allowed to watch this" or something, and the others gave her major side-eye, which made her feel more uncomfortable, and "oh these people must be a bad influence then, I am in danger."

Plus in addition to just plain "TV is bad" it's possible she saw something she's explicitly not supposed to see, which for the Maxwells (based on reading their stuff over the years) includes any depictions of non-Christian religions. Heaven forbid the program have ANY boy-girl flirting in it or be a horror film, that'd just make it all the worse.

I remember going to a slumber party in DC in the fifth grade (American elementary school!) and some of the girls did that horrible trick of putting a sleeping girl's hand in warm water, and sure enough, she wet her sleeping bag and they got in trouble. I felt SOOO bad for her! Yet I was also ashamed of myself for not doing anything... Later that same party in the morning we made breakfast and put food coloring in all the food, it was good fun but quite amazing how gross orange juice with blue food coloring in it looks. Just... grey. Yuck. But we played tons of games including cards.

Yeah, I also suspect the TV or some game she wasn't okay with (either sports, or maybe cards). Or possibly that ouija, for games.

Either way Sarah probably felt uncomfortable and then made some comment about it, either telling the others the behavior was outright wrong or maybe even just saying "*I* should leave the room because we're not allowed to watch this" or something, and the others gave her major side-eye, which made her feel more uncomfortable, and "oh these people must be a bad influence then, I am in danger."

Plus in addition to just plain "TV is bad" it's possible she saw something she's explicitly not supposed to see, which for the Maxwells (based on reading their stuff over the years) includes any depictions of non-Christian religions. Heaven forbid the program have ANY boy-girl flirting in it or be a horror film, that'd just make it all the worse.

I remember going to a slumber party in DC in the fifth grade (American elementary school!) and some of the girls did that horrible trick of putting a sleeping girl's hand in warm water, and sure enough, she wet her sleeping bag and they got in trouble. I felt SOOO bad for her! Yet I was also ashamed of myself for not doing anything... Later that same party in the morning we made breakfast and put food coloring in all the food, it was good fun but quite amazing how gross orange juice with blue food coloring in it looks. Just... grey. Yuck. But we played tons of games including cards.

I also think a horror movie could be another thing Sarah saw. When I was a kid and teenager, my friends and I would sometimes sneak horror movies at sleepovers or at day get togethers. When I was 14, one of my friends had an all day birthday party on Saturday. It started at noon with lunch and went on until around 9 or 10 that night. We watched movies and played games. The host girl's family had a huge basement where the party took place. Her parents didn't drop in that often. We watched a couple of horror movies and a fundie lite girl there was really uncomfortable with the movies. I remember at one point she stayed in the bathroom for an hour, while we watched one of the movies.

Or it could have been something really bad. Her impression of what us heathens think is ok is probably pretty messed up!

I thought that all non-Christian kids were having sex by 7th grade and that people didn't have a problem with it.

My sleepovers date back to the '60s and we had Ouiji boards and lotsa lotsa talk of boys. Jeez, the world doesn't change much.

My sleepovers date back to the '60s and we had Ouiji boards and lotsa lotsa talk of boys. Jeez, the world doesn't change much.

The 50's for me, the Ouija board, and boy talk. We lived in the world's center of spiritualism so Ouija boards were considered perfectly fine by all of my friends. I was told by my priest that I was to have nothing to do with them but I didn't listen. I still think of them as just a harmless board game.

The 50's for me, the Ouija board, and boy talk. We lived in the world's center of spiritualism so Ouija boards were considered perfectly fine by all of my friends. I was told by my priest that I was to have nothing to do with them but I didn't listen. I still think of them as just a harmless board game.

Even today, the Ouija board intimidates me. We used a playing card, rather than the planchet. To use it today, I'd have to have a lot of wine!!!!

I believe a Ouija board was featured on Downton Abbey too. I suspect my children will be getting freaked out about them too (especially if they end up as naive as I was in my childhood!)

The little girl in the Exorcist became possessed by initially talking to Satan through the Ouija board. I put mine right in the garbage when that movie came out.

Or it could have been something really bad. Her impression of what us heathens think is ok is probably pretty messed up!

I thought that all non-Christian kids were having sex by 7th grade and that people didn't have a problem with it.

This is also very true. I find it disturbing what these people seriously think non fundies do and approve of. I read an article about a film based on this theory that someone (i.e. public figure) was actually not his father's son but the son of someone else, who also happens to be gay. The one commenter actually said "He molested him as a child as homosexual are wont to do" .. And just look at what Zsu says about homosexuals. Remember the "lesbians" who came to pick something up? "What have children to protect". She even equates homosexuality with pedophilia. If this fucked up belief is so incredibly common among them, imagine what else is ..

This is also very true. I find it disturbing what these people seriously think non fundies do and approve of. I read an article about a film based on this theory that someone (i.e. public figure) was actually not his father's son but the son of someone else, who also happens to be gay. The one commenter actually said "He molested him as a child as homosexual are wont to do" .. And just look at what Zsu says about homosexuals. Remember the "lesbians" who came to pick something up? "What have children to protect". She even equates homosexuality with pedophilia. If this fucked up belief is so incredibly common among them, imagine what else is ..

Somehow this conversation came up with my fundie in-laws when we were still on speaking terms. They were horrified that I would leave my (then hypothetical) children with someone who was of "teh ghey" persuassion. :? . I am not one to hold back on the topic, but I really liked my then boyfriend, so tried to be polite when I pointed out that prisions were filled with pedophiles who identify with being heterosexual -- and that statistics proved against their beliefs. It was like a wall went up and they refused to hear a word I said because to them gay = pedophile. Oh well, who am I to let logic fuck up their bigotry? :roll:

Visual art is interpreted by the viewer. I see art that says the vulva is beautiful, soft like poofy velvet and hidden by society, why not wear it on the outside?

You see as distasteful, I'm good with it. But if you ever come to my house don't freek out at the vulva painting that is on my fridge :lol: Oh or that little velvet vulva in the godbox in the living room. Oh and the blown glass vulva hanging off my godbox in the bedroom. :lol:

Ha ha! no, I wouldn't freak out it's your home not mine. But I might leave with the bacon bra. :)

Ha ha! no, I wouldn't freak out it's your home not mine. But I might leave with the bacon bra. :)

The minute you took it outside my legions of blue jays would peck your eyeballs bloody :lol:

Sarah, you're a virgin who can't write.

"Dee--way harsh." (cf. "Clueless")

Sorry if this has already been brought up, but I have been on what some might call a vacation and am just now getting caught up on all my fundies. Has Sarah's salutation on her July 4th post been discussed yet?

Happy Independence Day!

Love,

Sarah, who is excited about gaining another sis-in-law

Yeah right and hi Steve :greetings-wavingblue:

YES! Someone caught that nod to Clueless!!

I wouldn't want to insult someone for being a virgin, but her lack of writing skill is certainly snark worthy.

I think that if she was allowed to see a little bit of the world unsupervised maybe her scope for imagination would be kindled and she'd have something less boring to write about.

Does anyone know of a way to read the Moody books without sending money to the atrocious Maxwells? I've read the samples but I'm curious to read the entire thing. I saw that there were some used ones on Amazon but I wasn't sure if the money wasn't going to go to some other super fundy org.

New Maxwell blog post!

titus2.com/blog/index.php/2012/07/08/more-pictures-with-joseph-and-elizabeth/

Pics of their visit with the Muncks are included.

As usual the Maxwell blog is as exciting as watching paint dry. It was nice to see that their eldest daughter wasn't eating at the kids table.

Archived