emesbe

I was thinking the same thing. Fundie jargon is damned annoying. It's as if they have so little of substance to say that they must make up for their lack with an endless stream of 'Christianese.'

Yep, that whole Christianese thing is so obnoxious.

Here's a helpful page to translate some of that stuff: preaching.com/resources/humor/11547897/

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Butterflies are obviously in the protozoa kingdom, right? RIGHT?!?! Wtf do they think a butterfly is if not an animal? I hope Elizabeth realized how wrong her parents are and that's why she still insists butterflies are her favourite animal.

I'd say congratulations to the new couple but I think offering my condolences would be a more appropriate response in the face of a new Maxwell relationship.

Note to Poor Semiliterate Laura: Among living things, there are two kingdoms--animal and vegetable. Perhaps she thinks that butterflies can't be animals because there are butterfly bushes. *facepalm*

She's up there with all those braintrusts who insist that birds aren't animals because they think animal=mammal.

This has been Steve's plan all along-marry his sons off and keep the daughters. He enjoys control and doesn't know what he would do if he started to see cracks. Elizabeth might have come from a more laid back family but Steve knows that marrying into this cult will mold her into a frumper loving, baby popping, submissive wife, Bible reading 24/7 woman she's suppose to be. If Sarah was to get married, Steve-O would have to transfer his authority to her husband, something that scares the crap out of him. With marrying one of his daughters off, there is that small percentage they could change their views and live a more liberal life.

I think the only reason why Steve seemed ok with Joseph being engaged to Elizabeth is because her family has started drinking the Maxwell kool-aid. Had they not, I highly doubt Steve-O would have been okay with it. Hell, I don't think Elizabeth's family would have been ok with it. The family stopped participating in Easter activities! Big giveaway a courtship was brewing with one of the Maxwell boys. Sad, real sad. I could not imagine marrying into that cult. Prison sounds a lot better than that.

OK, I am woefully behind on my fundie watching in general, but since the Maxwells are my bete noir, I have spent the greater part of the last 15 minutes going through muncksquiver. I hate to write it, but this girl is doomed. And not just because she is marrying a reversal Maxwell.

For God's sake, her parents actually refer to their family as their quiver. This pre dates any possibility of a Maxwell courtship. Their title post about the engagement is about one of their arrows launching. :angry-banghead:The koolaid had been ingested way before this deal was on the table. The mother cannot spell or construct a sentence and has been in charge of the education of 11 children. She talks about Sarah Palin keeping her Down Syndrome baby as if it is understood that Democrats want to erase people with DS from the face of the earth. The meaning of life came to them after instituting "family Bible time". I don't care if they have a broader color palette than the Maxwells and brothers and sisters swim together, they are creeps of the first order. I hope I am wrong, and if I am I will GLADLY eat shit. I'm going to do a deeper dive into this site, but after six so I can justify the gin and tonic.

Note to Poor Semiliterate Laura: Among living things, there are two kingdoms--animal and vegetable. Perhaps she thinks that butterflies can't be animals because there are butterfly bushes. *facepalm*

She's up there with all those braintrusts who insist that birds aren't animals because they think animal=mammal.

There are actually 5 kingdoms now. I will spare you the details. [/nerd]

Off topic but one of my fondest memories of childhood is reading a book about animals with my mom. Why? Because with that book, we didn't just read it. My mom drew out the basic taxonomy of animals and plants (starting with: there's animals, and plants, then among animals there's vertebrates and invertebrates... type thing) in nice pen inside the front and back covers. I always admired her handwriting and it was just time spent together, and very nice. I was in kindergarten at the time.

Yep, that whole Christianese thing is so obnoxious.

Here's a helpful page to translate some of that stuff: preaching.com/resources/humor/11547897/

Heh. Nice.

The one that really confused me when I first started reading fundie blogs was "convicted." "I was convicted of..." to me always involved words like "murder" and meant prison time.

There are actually 5 kingdoms now. I will spare you the details. [/nerd]

Taxonomy is not an SDORT subject. It's a pity. When my Father first introduced me to taxonomy I was fascinated, Carl Linnaeus was one of the science heroes of my youth. (Aha moment here, I think I just found my new facebook moniker!)

Guest Anonymous

I can't stop wondering whether there is a more interesting story behind this one, than will be shared on the blog. This isn't an ideal Maxwell match, the Munck family are not in deep enough to match Steve's standards, and the fact that they run a frivolous blog seems a bit risky for the man who has such a high need for control. I think there must be a skeleton in the cupboard that makes a marriage like this more acceptable than the alternative, whatever that might be... Rebellion or premarital fumbling or something else not quite right...

I do hope they share the courtship story on the blog. I think some commenters have asked about it, but I'm sure they'll just get the curt Steve reply of "They want privacy. Something to consider."

OK, I am woefully behind on my fundie watching in general, but since the Maxwells are my bete noir, I have spent the greater part of the last 15 minutes going through muncksquiver. I hate to write it, but this girl is doomed. And not just because she is marrying a reversal Maxwell.

For God's sake, her parents actually refer to their family as their quiver. This pre dates any possibility of a Maxwell courtship. Their title post about the engagement is about one of their arrows launching. :angry-banghead:The koolaid had been ingested way before this deal was on the table. The mother cannot spell or construct a sentence and has been in charge of the education of 11 children. She talks about Sarah Palin keeping her Down Syndrome baby as if it is understood that Democrats want to erase people with DS from the face of the earth. The meaning of life came to them after instituting "family Bible time". I don't care if they have a broader color palette than the Maxwells and brothers and sisters swim together, they are creeps of the first order. I hope I am wrong, and if I am I will GLADLY eat shit. I'm going to do a deeper dive into this site, but after six so I can justify the gin and tonic.

Agreed. I don't think this family were ever 'normal' at all.

They went from giving every last detail of Nathan's courtship, to just a tiny bit of Christopher's, to absolutely nothing of Joseph's courtship.

Maybe Steve is saving the details for the courtship book he is reportedly writing.

Kind of like the super secret fruit pizza recipe.

I think that when people say her family seems normal, they mean normal compared to the crazy that comprises some fundie families.

I think Elizabeth's family are a few rungs lower on the ladder of crazy than the Maxwells for now. Somewhere below Emily and Lady Lydia but above... well... no... they're pretty much as crazy as the rest of them. Maybe the Alexanders (Meredith's family, not Lori's) are below them on the crazy ladder.

The Duggars seem more normal every day. That is not healthy.

They went from giving every last detail of Nathan's courtship, to just a tiny bit of Christopher's, to absolutely nothing of Joseph's courtship.

Maybe Steve is saving the details for the courtship book he is reportedly writing.

This is exactly what I've been thinking. I can't imagine any other reason why they wouldn't be sharing their God-given wisdom about courtship either on their blog or the Corners. Maybe it's too good to give out free, it's got to be in a book that you can buy.

I can't stop wondering whether there is a more interesting story behind this one, than will be shared on the blog. This isn't an ideal Maxwell match, the Munck family are not in deep enough to match Steve's standards, and the fact that they run a frivolous blog seems a bit risky for the man who has such a high need for control. I think there must be a skeleton in the cupboard that makes a marriage like this more acceptable than the alternative, whatever that might be... Rebellion or premarital fumbling or something else not quite right...

Likely. But don't expect Poor Sarah to ever figure out how to write it.

Slightly OT - I keep seeing references to Teri reading the Bible while Anna was in labor. Where did this info come from? The comments? I have to see it!!!

Slightly OT - I keep seeing references to Teri reading the Bible while Anna was in labor. Where did this info come from? The comments? I have to see it!!!

I don't think it was with Anna, it was with Melanie. I believe it was when Melanie was in labor at the hospital with Abigail. The hospital rooms have TVs but because the Maxwells don't watch TV, Teri kept Melanie company by memorizing scripture verses together during the long hours/days Melanie spent in the hospital (I don't remember why she was in the hospital so long -- I think maybe her water had broken and they were trying to wait as long as possible to deliver because she was several weeks early).

Anyone else remember the details?

I don't think it was with Anna, it was with Melanie. I believe it was when Melanie was in labor at the hospital with Abigail. The hospital rooms have TVs but because the Maxwells don't watch TV, Teri kept Melanie company by memorizing scripture verses together during the long hours/days Melanie spent in the hospital (I don't remember why she was in the hospital so long -- I think maybe her water had broken and they were trying to wait as long as possible to deliver because she was several weeks early).

Anyone else remember the details?

Here is the post: titus2.com/blog/index.php/2008/05/16/babymax19/

Yes, it was with Melanie and the birth of Abigail. Her water had not broken, but she was having contractions and was at least 6 weeks early so they were trying to buy her some time. Teri was indeed keeping her company by memorizing Scripture with her. If you go back in the blog, you will find the posts. I want to say that Abigail was born in 2008.

ETA-What Sister Mozz said.

More snarking on the spelling mistakes of the mom. In addition to quiet and quite, too and to, she also doesn't seem to know the difference between son and sun, and their and there. Now yes, sometimes when I'm typing in a hurry I'll use the wrong word, but I will go back and edit. After reading her blog I notice these mistakes quite often throughout, so either she may be like me only too lazy to edit, or she genuinely doesn't know the difference, which makes it scary imo if she's the one "educating" her children. I wonder if she was home-schooled, either way it's sad.

Or courtship stories are just not gloomy enough for the Maxwells?

More snarking on the spelling mistakes of the mom. In addition to quiet and quite, too and to, she also doesn't seem to know the difference between son and sun, and their and there. Now yes, sometimes when I'm typing in a hurry I'll use the wrong word, but I will go back and edit. After reading her blog I notice these mistakes quite often throughout, so either she may be like me only too lazy to edit, or she genuinely doesn't know the difference, which makes it scary imo if she's the one "educating" her children. I wonder if she was home-schooled, either way it's sad.

Teri is a college graduate. She should know better.

I kind of wonder if it's a way for Steve to control the whole family that Elizabeth comes from. They are moving on a path toward Steve-ism. Maybe he thinks marrying their firstborn daughter into his family will cement that so they don't backpedal. They're partway in, and this will suck them in the whole way. Once the daughter is in the family, Steve can make sure that she never blogs or has fun again. The Muncks will be hesitant to cross Steve because they won't want to make things weird with their in-laws.

Archived