IGNORED

Australian Blogger's Son Dies- Sparkling Adventures

princessjo1988

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One interesting piece of information is that Lauren's sister is a doctor which would make her a mandatory reporter. Not sure how that works in the case of family but it is an interesting dynamic.

This is somewhat OT, but I have heard contradicting info on the application of this in QLD - that a doctor must report any reasonable suspicion vs. that a doctor is only obligated and protected if it is a reasonable suspicion in their professional capacity. So if the latter is true, mandatory reporting refers to doctors who have a suspicion about a patient that they officially treat, not people who happen to be doctors and have something going on in their personal life. I am not sure which is true, as I heard both from seemingly reputable sources. Does anyone here know for sure?

As a music tutor in a school, I am considered a mandatory reporter. My understanding from my training is that I am obligated to report regardless of whether I've come into contact with the child through a professional situation or otherwise. Health professionals, teachers, child care workers etc are all seen as "trustworthy" professionals who are therefore obligated to report.

I'm in South Australia though, not in Queensland, so it could be different.

This is somewhat OT, but I have heard contradicting info on the application of this in QLD - that a doctor must report any reasonable suspicion vs. that a doctor is only obligated and protected if it is a reasonable suspicion in their professional capacity. So if the latter is true, mandatory reporting refers to doctors who have a suspicion about a patient that they officially treat, not people who happen to be doctors and have something going on in their personal life. I am not sure which is true, as I heard both from seemingly reputable sources. Does anyone here know for sure?

When I was a preschool teacher and later when I worked at a nonprofit, I was told that I was mandated to report any suspected abuse, ever, anywhere. The example given was neighbors. But I am not sure if this is true in Australia.

I'm in NSW, but I have a friend who is a mandated reporter (nurse). He has reported things he has observed in a non professional capacity, but I'm not sure if it was on the basis of personal morals or as part of the mandate he operates under.

Guest Anonymous
On my mind:

about 2 hours ago Are there any yarn bombers/graffiti knitters in the Brisbane vicinity? I'd love someone with those connections to get in touch with me.

Yeah strange - maybe she is thinking about creating a memorial for Elijah?

And wtf is up with her supporters? One of them wrote on the "interesting journeys' post that "you make me wish I were journeying with you ♥" ....Does she even realise that Lauren's son died and was possibly killed by his father? What part of that journey would any one in their right mind want to be on?

I'm a queenslander and I live about an hours away from their family. I remember hearing this on the news and being shocked then I came on here and realised I used to read her blog but I stopped last year after it got a bit to out there.

I think you can see the evolution of a mental break down for both of them. They're a normal, every day Australian family. They own their own home, he has his own business and she works part time The kids are clean then they leave their church, decide to sell it all up and start travelling, start unschooling, relationship drama and depression hits, the kids look neglected then this happens.

Also her prose sounds like that CJane style: far to descriptive and up he own arse.

There hasn't been anything in the news about her doing a runner with the kids and these things make the news here so I'm guessing the social workers may have given her fully custody authority again.

I think you can see the evolution of a mental break down for both of them. They're a normal, every day Australian family. They own their own home, he has his own business and she works part time The kids are clean then they leave their church, decide to sell it all up and start travelling, start unschooling, relationship drama and depression hits, the kids look neglected then this happens.

I think the bolded happened first, that caused them to leave the church and go on this 'adventure'. Something big happened to cause them to do this 180*. What, exactly, that was I don't know. Maybe she went through a bout of bad PPD, church was not helpful/blamed her, and they decided that since they were 'on their own' anyways, then what's the harm in doing all the 'taboo' stuff. Depending on how bad her episodes of PPD are, I wouldn't be surprised if her husband had some fallout from them himself. It's hard being there for someone in the depths of depression, but to do it over & over & over again. And who knows what support system he had himself.

Or they could have always been slightly unstable people and something came along to give them that extra push.

And I must say David was always weird. Lauren was 100% normal until David got weirder and she followed him down the path.

This video shows their relationship David the weirdo and Lauren blindly following along. He saw a vision and stopped eating meat.

Second time I'm asking this question. Do you know them for reading their blog or in the RW. If you knew them in the RW why didn't you report the neglect of the children?

did anyone see how she changed the in brief on her blog?

I'm a nomadic mama with four beautiful daughters. I am learning new strength in difficult circumstances and seek a sparkle in each day.

She just cut that baby boy right out of her life! I am sorry but I know mothers who lost babies at only a few weeks pregnant that have mourned more over their loss than this woman! A baby she gave birth too, nursed, was supposed to LOVE! Difficult circumstances? Difficult Circumstances, are a flat tire, losing a job, breaking up with your husband. She lost a baby, her husband is in Jail for killing! So lets just ignore it and go travel and look sparkle everyday! By some glitter and take care of your kids.

Second time I'm asking this question. Do you know them for reading their blog or in the RW. If you knew them in the RW why didn't you report the neglect of the children?

Yeah. Ditto to the bolded. I brought up reporting her but she didn't respond. She said she knows them in real life.

did anyone see how she changed the in brief on her blog?

I'm a nomadic mama with four beautiful daughters. I am learning new strength in difficult circumstances and seek a sparkle in each day.

She just cut that baby boy right out of her life!

That's strange.

That's strange.

She's just being 'authentic'. Authentic is Lauren's eclectic.

It's good to know she'll have money enough to get her dreadlocks tuned up.

If you knew them in the RW why didn't you report the neglect of the children?

I at no point said I didn't report the neglect. And I did answer your question earlier yes I know them in real life.

I at no point said I didn't report the neglect. And I did answer your question earlier yes I know them in real life.

It's been stated in the media that the family wasn't known to DOCS or the police prior to this.

Did you ever report them for neglect?

edited to add: if you did did you follow up on the report?

It's been stated in the media that the family wasn't known to DOCS or the police prior to this.

I saw they weren't known to police but haven't seen that they weren't known to docs, can you link to it? I'd be very, very surprised if not one person they pissed off reported them. I mean I know from the comments not everyone found them sparkling: there were a few comments from former church friends that seemed very concerned over the years. (btw not the church Jo references but the one they last left) they alienated family members, just recently had the dude in nz say they were parenting wrong, etc. who knows.

I saw they weren't known to police but haven't seen that they weren't known to docs, can you link to it? I'd be very, very surprised if not one person they pissed off reported them. I mean I know from the comments not everyone found them sparkling: there were a few comments from former church friends that seemed very concerned over the years. (btw not the church Jo references but the one they last left) they alienated family members, just recently had the dude in nz say they were parenting wrong, etc. who knows.

I heard it on ABC radio, so can't link, sorry. It was when this frost happened, so it's possible that reports from other states or from New Zealand have come to light, but it did say they weren't known to the Queensland community services.

I heard it on ABC radio, so can't link, sorry. It was when this frost happened, so it's possible that reports from other states or from New Zealand have come to light, but it did say they weren't known to the Queensland community services.

ah, gotcha.

They were known to DOCS, and had been searched for (albeit in the usual pathetic ineffective DOCS manner!)

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/ ... 06056.aspx

Nice find, thanks. The daughter going missing overnight (with a man they just met) and no authorities being contacted (Lauren had a dumb comment about waiting til morning, not disrupting SES volunteers on a holiday... :x ) was the instance I was thinking that surely someone would have reported them. Ugh.

They were known to DOCS, and had been searched for (albeit in the usual pathetic ineffective DOCS manner!)

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/ ... 06056.aspx

Unfortunately that's NSW. Once they crossed back into QLD it's a whole separate agency, and themreport wouldn't have followed them over the border.

Lauren did tweet something once, saying that she had heard that having no prenatal care meant an automatic DOCS referral in NSW and wondering about registering her sons birth. Maybe that is part of why they left the state.

Archived