IGNORED

Why we should worry about Mitt's Mormonism.

Lillybee

I've heard about this before. I'd be worried about Mitt as president because he would do a shitty job.

I don't want any elected official to be spouting off religious claptrap during the election much less after he/she's elected. Keep religion out of the public sphere, beginning with election campaigns.

I've heard about this before. I'd be worried about Mitt as president because he would do a shitty job.

I don't want any elected official to be spouting off religious claptrap during the election much less after he/she's elected. Keep religion out of the public sphere, beginning with election campaigns.

Agreed. The White Horse prophecy is a red herring.

It frustrates me that most people only start worrying only when it's a non-Christian theocrat running for office.

It frustrates me that most people only start worrying only when it's a non-Christian theocrat running for office.

QFT

This. I don't see what Mitt could do as president that any type of fundi Christian would want to do. The Constitution, Supreme Court and Congress still are powerful things and prevent the president from having free reign to do whatever he pleases or make the US any sort of theocracy. Besides if he tried he would never get a second term.

This all reminds me of the criticism JFK faced when he ran for president as people worried that as a Catholic he would do as the Vatican said. Protestant culture was worried about having a Catholic as president because it was strange and not well understand by the majority just as Mormonism is viewed today.

The GOP is pretty fundie right now so I don't know. But he does not seem all that fundie he talks the talk but don't see him walking the fundie walk.

This. I don't see what Mitt could do as president that any type of fundi Christian would want to do. The Constitution, Supreme Court and Congress still are powerful things and prevent the president from having free reign to do whatever he pleases or make the US any sort of theocracy. Besides if he tried he would never get a second term.

This all reminds me of the criticism JFK faced when he ran for president as people worried that as a Catholic he would do as the Vatican said. Protestant culture was worried about having a Catholic as president because it was strange and not well understand by the majority just as Mormonism is viewed today.

QFT. I've even said that to people who said they didn't trust his religion. It's basically the same criticism to what JFK faced. I personally think Mitt is an idiot who easily gets himself in trouble when he doesn't have a script, so he probably won't get elected. I can't wait for the debates since those things aren't scripted, and Mitt can show how out of touch he is with independent voters when compared to Obama.

I think Mormonism is crazy but I don't think Romney would try and make America into some kind of weird Mormon theocracy. I just think he wouldn't be very good at running the country.

QFT. I've even said that to people who said they didn't trust his religion. It's basically the same criticism to what JFK faced. I personally think Mitt is an idiot who easily gets himself in trouble when he doesn't have a script, so he probably won't get elected. I can't wait for the debates since those things aren't scripted, and Mitt can show how out of touch he is with independent voters when compared to Obama.

Am I allowed to say I don't trust his religion if I don't trust Gary Goodyear's religion? :P He's the Canadian Minister for Science and Technology and, when asked if he supported evolution, he responded that he didn't think religious questions were relevant. While I agree that religious questions are not relevant, it's not a religious question.

I don't think politicians should have to be entirely silent about their religious beliefs (or wait to convert till leaving office, as Tony Blair did), but there's a difference between telling an anecdote about something that happened at church last Sunday and basing one's platform on religious beliefs that not everyone follows.

I call BS on the religious fear-mongering.

Family dynasties are nothing new in American politics, for either Democrats or Republicans. Yes, he and his family are rich, he comes from a political family and he probably had early political ambitions. In other breaking news, the sky is blue.

Weren't ALL of the GOP candidates parading their religion? Weren't they all saying that they were anti-abortion? Weren't all but Ron Paul against same-sex marriage? Wasn't the Christian Right playing a big role and explicitly asking GOP candidates to support the social conservative positions that they did? So really, what's the big deal if Mitt is Mormon?

Also, try re-reading the article, but replace Romney with Obama, and Mormon with Muslim. Sound familiar? It's the same, "Oh no, scary minority religion! There must be a plot to take control, even if there's no evidence that the candidate actually wants to create a theocracy."

Am I allowed to say I don't trust his religion if I don't trust Gary Goodyear's religion? :P He's the Canadian Minister for Science and Technology and, when asked if he supported evolution, he responded that he didn't think religious questions were relevant. While I agree that religious questions are not relevant, it's not a religious question.

I don't think politicians should have to be entirely silent about their religious beliefs (or wait to convert till leaving office, as Tony Blair did), but there's a difference between telling an anecdote about something that happened at church last Sunday and basing one's platform on religious beliefs that not everyone follows.

I agree with the bold part. I have no problem with whatever religion our president happens to be. As long as he doesn't try to make me follow his religion. He can attend church, synagog, temple, whatever as long as I don't have to do that. He can pray once a day, 5 times a day, all day, I really don't care. It's more important what type of politics he has, what he's plan for our country is, how he will be policy wise as president. His religion is just a thing.

Anyone know if the info in this isn't legit? http://thepoliticalcarnival.net/2012/06 ... ld-income/

Sounds like it is. What a tool.

It's a real thing and Mitt's horsey is going to the Olympics! Yay! :roll:

I despise Mormonism. I've seen what it does to thinking people and it's fucked up. Mitt's thing, though, is that he'll pretty much suck anyone's cock in order to be president.

It's a real thing and Mitt's horsey is going to the Olympics! Yay! :roll:

I despise Mormonism. I've seen what it does to thinking people and it's fucked up. Mitt's thing, though, is that he'll pretty much suck anyone's cock in order to be president.

Although, Stephen Colbert did have a good joke about how it's a long trip to London on the top of Mitt's car...

Mitt's super-wealth is an established fact. It doesn't really have anything to do with his faith.

I think it has everything to do with his faith; Mitt's real god is $$$$$.

"Sigh" Gary Goodyear is my MP :cry: I am perfectly fine with you saying you don't trust his religion. I don't and my high school best friends went to the same church he does. The church made me uneasy then and it still does to this day. Goodyear is a creationist (in case there were doubts). Goodyear was a sideways step for Cambridge when he beat the incumbent liberal MP who was also an evolutionist and anti-choice/all abortions should be illegal side. Though I also don't think a chiropractor should be Minister of Science, I wish it was someone with an actual scientific background.

I also think Mitt's more interested in power and money and uses the influence and power of the Mormon church to get him where he wants to go. But, he owes them now and they will collect. There have been numerous attempts for Mormons to run for the POTUS position and its been documented that its part of their plan since their founding. Its a secretive organization and it could be that they have a plan set up to change laws or whatever to realize some greater agenda. I'm not sure if they could do this or what, but its not outside the realm of possibility.

The few ex-Mormons I've met have said that there is a belief that the LDS turns a blind eye and may also be secretly supporting the FLDS in order to preserve polygamy as a tradition. What if Mitt was able to overturn anti-polygamy laws? What if he at least decriminalized it? While I personally believe that adults should be allowed to be polygamists if they so choose we all know that it won't be rational free-thinking adults making this "choice" for the most part but young, naive and threatened girls.

I'm not sure what else. But, I'd rather vote for a wack job or Satan himself rather than a fundy of any stripe. G.W. Bush was maybe fundy lite but his pandering and butt kissing of the fundies started us down a path of regression rather than progressiveness. Even Bill Clinton was influenced far too much by them with DOMA and DADT. I don't think he believed in these acts, but he was so overwhelmed by their influence and threats that this is what it led to.

To me, all religion is equally crazy. I don't think the Mormons are worse than other conservative groups. But I don't care at all about a politician's religion. I'd be willing to vote for a candidate of any background as long as he or she is willing to keep church and state separate. I'd rather have a liberal Mormon or a liberal Muslim than have a fundamentalist of any stripe (or someone kowtowing to fundamentalists) in the White House.

I think Romney would screw people over to satisfy his right-wing religious base, not out of sincere religious conviction. Not that that's any better. Still, I'd rather see him than Palin, Santorum, Huckabee, Perry, or any of the real fanatics in office.

Give that dog a doggie treat! Good dog! Good dog!

I've been a hard-atheist all my life. I was surprised to see the new atheism come about. I just assumed that I would find fellow non-believers few and far between my whole life.

One thing that I have learned from that new atheist movement is that we don't have to hold back criticism of religion. Romney supporters are going around whining about how the Democrats will criticize Romney for his religion as if that's ufair. Bullshit. It's perfectly fair. Mormonism is based on the teachings of someone who is known for being a fraud and a con artist -- a liar. Their theology is explicitly and blatantly racist -- and no a revelation from an imaginary creature in 1978 does not fix that. Their primary godly goal was to be a polygamist sect. They are explicitly and blatantly misogynist. They are an oppressive cult, they are a homophobic cult, they are a hate cult -- plain and simple. They wear funny "magic" underwear.

Even if you eliminate the appalling hateful aspects of it -- you are still left with --the Mormons are some goofy-ass motherfuckers. Why should we ignore that?

We shouldn't!

We don't want a goofy-ass motherfucker for President of the United Sates.

Case closed.

There are a million and one non-religious reasons why I won't vote for Mitt for Prez. I don't see any need to drag his weird-ass religion into it.

I am not skeered on any white pony prophecy. Nor am I concerned that Mitt could possibly be elected.

Seriously how frightening is this?

my-little-pony-cake-21254315.jpg

You do realize this white horse theory is as respected as the 3 Nephites hitch hiking and telling people to get their food storage up? Or the guy calling the baby sitter telling her to check on the children and he's on an extension in the house? Urban myths all of them.

Archived