IGNORED

Use of the Word Defraud

Rosie

My 11yo son has six friends here for a sleepover. (They are still sleeping as I type.) This morning I put on a hoodie over my sleeveless nightgown and walked into the kitchen.

DH: "Why are you wearing a hoodie; aren't you too warm?"

Me: "This nightgown is a little skimpy on top and I don't want any of the boys defrauded when they come up for breakfast."

DH: "Defrauded? I don't think that's the right word." (goes back to newspaper-reading)

Clearly he is not versed in fundie-speak or FJ norms. For me, on the other hand, it was the first word that came to mind (which is really disturbing when I stop to think about what that means, LOL).

If you were more submissive, maybe your husband would be better versed in the terms of righteousness :p

This is like using some work-specific jargon with your loved ones and they're all, "Huh?"

Seriously, I really hate the way fundies have co-opted the word "defraud." Using it in conjunction with the way a woman dresses implies that she is actively and intentionally putting herself out there and making herself sexually available for male use, then reneging on the deal.

I'm sure that's every woman's intention when she wears shorts on a hot day. :roll:

It's bad when you're reading the paper, see the stereo-typical photo of a middleaged, slightly overweight businessman and it takes you a minute to realise that someone's in court for financial dodginess, rather than showing a bit too much skin.

This thread tweaked my memory about an incident at work. I was meeting with a client regarding a "fraud prevention management" position in a meeting room with a partial glass wall. We have been having issues with, shall we say, creative dressing by many employees due to unseasonably warm weather and building HVAC problems. As the meeting was starting, a well-endowed, 50 - 60 year old-ish female employee wearing a tube top walked by, dropped something and experienced a "wardrobe malfunction" as she bent over to pick it up.

As the only woman in the room I was a bit embarrassed so I muttered something about "defrauding", which was completely misunderstood by the fraud experts at the table. They had a good laugh when I explained the meaning of the term. You folks are bang on about co-opting a term that has a very serious legal, often financial, meaning and frivolously making it about someone's inability to be mature about a situation and their emotions (e.g. I should simply have ignored what happened - it wasn't my problem).

Hahahaha. Yes I've now associated the word with the fundie meaning too. I don't even know why they call it that! It actually makes no sense when you think about it.

I've also semi-unintentionally slipped it into conversation with my boyfriend about clothing, lol. Should probably explain it.

Seriously, I really hate the way fundies have co-opted the word "defraud." Using it in conjunction with the way a woman dresses implies that she is actively and intentionally putting herself out there and making herself sexually available for male use, then reneging on the deal.

THAT.

I know that this re-definition (mis-definition) has been formally taught by Gothard for probably 40 years. It seems to have made its way into the public sphere via the Duggars and others. Not sure if this re-definition originated with Gothard. But I first heard of it from Gothard followers.

LOL.. I've been slowly working on getting my DH up to speed on the vocabulary. I ask him all the time if I look too defrauding to go out (so that I can submit to his wardrobe correction :lol.)

I find it insulting and sexist. It implies just what Hane said it does. "Defrauding" is a form of theft, and applying such a term to a woman's clothing bothers me by implying that the woman is stealing from the surrounding men by wearing what she likes.

I find it insulting and sexist. It implies just what Hane said it does. "Defrauding" is a form of theft, and applying such a term to a woman's clothing bothers me by implying that the woman is stealing from the surrounding men by wearing what she likes.

That is what I always thought that they meant, that upper arms, knees, or a teeny bit of cleavage "stole" a mans innocence or something.

Hahahaha. Yes I've now associated the word with the fundie meaning too. I don't even know why they call it that! It actually makes no sense when you think about it.

Think about it like a fundie.

Woman wears skimpy clothes because she's a hussy and looking to get laid. Woman incites sexual thoughts in a male. Male is not able to fulfill his "urges" or said female makes it clear she is, in fact, not interested in fornication. There for she has promised something to him by the way she dresses and is unable or unwilling to follow through, all with the knowledge that she is advertising sex (because why else would she wear shorts and a tank top right?). She has committed fraud and he has been defrauded.

Interestingly enough, I think the official definition speaks volumes on fundie mentality. "to deprive of a right, money, or property by fraud." He has a right to sexual fulfillment and she refuses to give it to him because she's not the kind of girl he assumed she was.

Archived