IGNORED

The modesty fetish

ADoyle90815

I found this on a Mormon blog, but it also applies to the fundies we snark about as well, since the way they view modesty is really a fetish.

bycommonconsent.com/2011/07/09/perverting-modesty/

It's refreshing to hear this coming from someone inside of the church.

Another good book along these lines is "The Purity Myth" by Jessica Valenti; the author talks about how virginity has also basically been turned into a fetish, inside and outside of religious circles.

An absolutely wonderful post. I have long believed that someone could be dressed in shorts and a tank top and still be far more modest than a woman in a prairie dress that is going to attract a lot of attention. A woman can be dressed in a frumper and behave in an overtly sexual manner, or a woman can be dressed in shorts, a tank top, and flip flops, and not be acting like a tramp (I have always known the definition of a "tramp" to be someone - of either sex - who has a tendency to act sexual toward pretty much anyone without regard to appropriateness, so I'm not slut-shaming). Well the one in a frumper is not modest just because of her clothing, and the woman showing some skin who's sitting there drinking a soda while her kids are playing in the sand isn't immodest.

Definition of Modesty:

The quality or state of being unassuming or moderate in the estimation of one's abilities.

The quality of being relatively moderate, limited, or small in amount, rate, or level.

Modesty has nothing to do with covering one's shoulders and wearing dresses.

And is it not being "of this world" rather than "on this world" to pay so damned much attention to someone wearing a sleeveless dress and to sit there passing judgement and creating insecurity, judging her as a bad person based on her shoulders while somehow thinking it's okay to create insecurity?

...I have always known the definition of a "tramp" to be someone - of either sex - who has a tendency to act sexual toward pretty much anyone without regard to appropriateness, so I'm not slut-shaming...

This is a great definition. It takes the onus of "immodesty" away from what one looks like, onto what they actually do--where it should be.

Archived