IGNORED

Ebil Hindu Yougurt! - the Mallys

lilah

Apparently a corporation co-opting the word "nirvana" to market its product makes it evil hindu yougurt. And the best course of action is to complain to the hotel where you got said yogurt because they totally are in on the whole evil plan.

tomorrowsforefathers.com/gracenotes/?p=9191

While eating breakfast at the hotel a few mornings ago, my dad read the writing under the top of his yogurt container. It was one of Dannon’s “light and fit†tips – something that only a few unique individuals in this world actually take the time to notice. [smile]

It read, “…reduce stress with some alone time. Even a half hour can help you reach your nirvana.â€

“This is Hindu yogurt!†Dad exclaimed.

Wanting to get some ministry out of this discovery, Dad walked up to the man at the front desk.

“Here — read this,†Dad told the guy in the suit, holding out the flimsy peel-off lid for him to see.

The man read it.

“That’s Hindu!†Dad told him. “Nirvana is the Hindu term for their equivalent of salvation. But Hindus actually have no way to understand salvation. True salvation is being reconciled to God, our Creator. But since they worship 33 million gods, they don’t have a correct concept of God or a correct concept of man (because man is made in the image of God). Therefore there is no way for them to understand either the true problem or the solution. However, we [Christians] know that there is one true living God, our Creator and salvation is being reconciled to Him.â€

He smiled and nodded in agreement.

“They ought to put a Bible verse on this!†Dad continued.

“You should write to them,†the man suggested.

I guess we just never know what little things can lead to conversations. [smile]

Our family is HOME now and it definitely feels great to be back! Lots going on around here and things are going well.

Share this:

Email

Ah, The Mallys. They published the same story on their daughter's blog, Grace Notes. The oldest daughter, Sarah wrote a book about how to remain pure until Prince Charming appeared. ,

Why do they want to share the story in an email? It just makes their father look like an idiot.

The Mally girls are writing a book on witnessing entitled, "Will Our Generation Speak."

brothersandsisters.net/gracenotes/

Yeah that was where I got the entry from, the mally family blog.

Incidentally Sarah is now 33 years old, she is really taking the professional virgin thing and running with it. I don't think she would want to get married because she'd probably have to give up her job.

The yogurt incident sounds like a parody, doesn't it? Apparently, the Mally dad is offended that other religions exist.

Yeah that was where I got the entry from, the mally family blog.

Incidentally Sarah is now 33 years old, she is really taking the professional virgin thing and running with it. I don't think she would want to get married because she'd probably have to give up her job.

I wouldn't blame Sarah for not wanting to marriage. Even among nonfundies, marriage is not for everyone. A fundie woman who has a succesful career could be forced to give up a lot if she marries. Unlike the Duggars, Sarah only has two siblings. Both her siblings are old enough to take care of themselves so she isn't burdened with childcare. For a fundiegirl, she has a pretty easy life(if she doesn't have any dreams or hopes.)

None of the Mally's three adult children are married which makes me wonder if following Sarah's advice leads to a life of perpetual singleness.

Jeez. I looked at the lid, it says "help you reach your nirvana."

Guess what? That's your place of bliss. Not the Hindu nirvana or the Buddhist nirvana.

I swear...tripped up by English's love of glomming onto words out of other languages (in this case, Sanskrit).

*rolls eyes*

Edit: Riffle.

HIndus might tell you that there is one god, a supreme being, who can manifest himself (itself) in many ways--sort of like how the creator god in Christianity is thought to have manifested as Jesus.

33 million? Did they count them all?

Hinduism? Absolutely monotheistic and totally open to god as being manifested on earth, including by the historical Jesus..

Buddhism? No creator god and "works" (i.e.. practice) matter. Being born as human on this planet is a privilege.

Odds of fundies understanding these distinctions? Poor.

Odds of fundies using Hindus (ie., probably south Asians in their communities) to perpetuate stereotype? Huge.

I think a thread on this already exists.

These people are so unaware of their Christian privilege that I have few words. Their obliviousness to other ways of thinking - and insistence that their fairytale prevails when confronted with said other ways - astounds me.

Maybe he was also unable to comprehend the concept of alone time, those blissful moments where don't have to milk your goats/teach from wisdom booklets/blog about how holy they are, and you can just

Maybe he was also unable to comprehend the concept of alone time, those blissful moments where don't have to milk your goats/teach from wisdom booklets/blog about how holy they are, and you can just relax?

"Smiling and nodding in agreement"="If I just seem compliant, then he will go away."

"You should write to them"="Stop haranguing me for something I have no control over."

“Here — read this,†Dad told the guy in the suit, holding out the flimsy peel-off lid for him to see.

The man read it.

“That’s Hindu!†Dad told him. . . (etc. -- more bigoted bloviating) . . .

“They ought to put a Bible verse on this!†Dad continued.

“You should write to them,†the man suggested.

No, he didn't nod and smile in agreement. I suspect he nodded and smiled to try to keep the crazy man from going on and on and on.

See also: Kidist Paulos Asrat in public. :D

ETA -- GeoBQN beat me to it!

Sometimes when working with the public you have to smile and nod to get the crazy to go the fuck away. Unless you're the boss you'd probably get fired otherwise. Of course these fundies are too out of touch to recognize the difference between "oooooookay, get out of my store please you crazy person" and actual agreement.

Given a complaint about something that corporate dictated during my big box store stint all I could do was suggest calling them, knowing that corporate would listen to them long before they would to us. (We only worked there, we weren't CUSTOMERS...) Given a complaint about something on a product? I think the suggestion of writing the company is brilliant. Sounds productive, probably isn't, gets the crazy to leave. It's a win all around.

The man at the desk handled that really well. Very professional. Kudos! Karma plus one!

Ignorant fundie jerkwad? Karma minus many.

Yeah, that doesn't mean he agrees, just that clerks and desk people aren't supposed to piss people off.

I think it's really stupid that the dad thought that a yogurt lid meant time to go "minister" to someone.

"Smiling and nodding in agreement"="If I just seem compliant, then he will go away."

"You should write to them"="Stop haranguing me for something I have no control over."

Yep. As someone who works withthe public, I generally just smile and nod when the crazy people start ranting at me.

I refer to it as 'captive audience syndrome'. These jerks know the clerk can't say anything back to them, so they have a captive audience. Doesn't matter if they are going on about politics, religion or what ever. Can't tell you how many times I've had customers do this to me. Just this week one cornered me with an anti-choice rant. And I had really gone out of the way to try and help this guy, sigh.

Archived