IGNORED

Woo-woo dental care

godlytomatosoup

I've had over 10k worth of dental care done in the past 2 years. The cause? undiagnosed acid reflux that has rotted out all my teeth. My old dentist missed it for years but 3 montsh later I had sensitive teeth went to this new guy and first thing he asked about was acid reflux. I know have two dentist doubling up on my care- I have bonding on all my teeth now and have had 2 root canals. I now use two different tooth pastes (one is 20 dollar prescription paste I leave on over night) to save whats left of my teeth. Any dentist (or even dental hygenist) worth their weight in gold can spot something like acid reflux on someone's teeth.

Wow. This is interesting. I have acid reflux and take (not cheap) medicine for it.

I'd also like to tell people that getting your teeth checked on a regular basis is a good thing. You don't want to be me and discover that your teeth need four crowns and two fillings, as I did at the end of 2009. The only reason I went to the dentist was because my brother actually lost a front tooth and I knew I needed dental work done. I also knew that he would never let me live it down if I started losing teeth.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. This is interesting. I have acid reflux and take (not cheap) medicine for it.

I'd also like to tell people that getting your teeth checked on a regular basis is a good thing. You don't want to be me and discover that your teeth need four crowns and two fillings, as I did at the end of 2009. The only reason I went to the dentist was because my brother actually lost a front tooth and I knew I needed dental work done. I also knew that he would never let me live it down if I started losing teeth.

I'd be willing bet the acid reflux was part of the reason for that.

I was born with acid reflux but because mine was "silent" no one ever noticed it. I had a lot of cavities as a a child and as an adult. Then when I got sick back in 09 the constant vomitting pushed the damage the acid reflux already did all over the edge. I've been taken acid reflux meds since I was diagnosed (it took an EGD and a barium swallow to ultimately diagnose my reflux) and my meds aren't cheap either!

I don't think you can blame all cavities on bad dental care/ food choices. As a kid growing up I never had a single cavity - my sister ( younger by a year ) always had a ton. Same healthy diet, same dental care. However my teeth went to hell when I had a series of pregnancies with severe sickness. A couple of my kids had perfect teeth with zero cavities and one had a ton.

My daughter had extremely severe hyperemises gravidium and her young daughter has a mouth full of cavities at barely three despite her really obsessive tooth brushing, minimal sweets etc.

As a side note my dentist recently told me he is seeing tons of young adults with completely rotted teeth due to the various energy drinks ( Red Bull, Monster, etc. ). He said they look like they are on meth.

You can't there are a number of things that can cause cavities, including genetics.

A 10 year old who eats healthy but has poor oral hygiene can get cavities. A 10 year old who eats poorly but has good oral hygiene can end up with no cavities. A 10 year old who eats healthy, has good oral hygiene, and a weakness in the dental enamel can end up with a mouth full of cavities. Someone like me who grew up with a moderate diet, less than stellar oral hygiene, and a hole in the enamel of some of her adult teeth can end up going 21 years without a single cavity because he parents made annual appointments with the dentist and was on top of the hygiene difficulties.

Also, if obsessive tooth brushing is too obsessive it can damage the tooth enamel and cause cavities.

I have Sjogren's disease, it did a number on my teeth. Who knew lack of saliva can fuck you over so badly? I spent years trying to tell my dentist that I DID brush and floss and all that shit but they told me I was lying. I wasn't lying, the odds were stacked against me.

I've had over 10k worth of dental care done in the past 2 years. The cause? undiagnosed acid reflux that has rotted out all my teeth. My old dentist missed it for years but 3 montsh later I had sensitive teeth went to this new guy and first thing he asked about was acid reflux. I know have two dentist doubling up on my care- I have bonding on all my teeth now and have had 2 root canals. I now use two different tooth pastes (one is 20 dollar prescription paste I leave on over night) to save whats left of my teeth. Any dentist (or even dental hygenist) worth their weight in gold can spot something like acid reflux on someone's teeth.

I have had acid reflux before it was named when I was 10 or 11 so almost 40 years worth of it. nothing I can afford to do about it.

I have had acid reflux before it was named when I was 10 or 11 so almost 40 years worth of it. nothing I can afford to do about it.

Most of my work was free or at a reduced cost. I have been very very blessed to have 2 dentists who are basically did their work at costs. All my xrays have been free, some of bondings have been free. Everything else has been at a reduced rate as in like 50-90 percent off. Its the only reason we've been able to afford it. Have you tried going to a dental school? I heard they do stuff at a reduced rate.

Did you notice she referred to Weston Price recommendations? Too bad so many wacko adherents to WP because he had some good things to say about ancestral diet and health. I'm sticking to my own lower-fat version of paleo (no dairy raw or otherwise for now) and I will never claim that eating right will take care of an acute medical problem.

Seems there is a link between self-induced, glorified poverty, having a boat-load of kids, and weird-ass diet and medical practices. Anything to keep from spending money they don't have on the dentist I guess! Maybe they should have thought of that before.

I hate it when dentists or doctors in general, shame people for what they believe is lack of proper care for themselves: Not brushing, not flossing... Because I am afraid of being shamed, I will nit go to the dentist although I should.

(I am running around with a missing tooth because it broke and the root got extracted at the start of the year, but I'll never be able to afford an implant anyway... but it looks... bad. No front tooth, but visible if I smile widely.)

I hate it when dentists or doctors in general, shame people for what they believe is lack of proper care for themselves: Not brushing, not flossing... Because I am afraid of being shamed, I will nit go to the dentist although I should.

Not trying to be ugly -

Grow up. Get over it. If necessary, call first and ask about some help (some dentists will give valium. Some will use nitrous, etc). Losing a bunch of teeth is not only cosmetic, it is a health issue.

Missing one front tooth? Implant is not the only option. There are bridges, or even a partial with one tooth.

Ok. Cavities and lost teeth are bad. You know what else is? Bone tumors. I know because during a routine exam/x-ray my dentist found a marble sized fibroma inside my jaw bone. You couldn't see it by looking at me, and I never felt a thing. Had it grown until it was visible it would've displaced my teeth, broken my jaw, or blocked my airway. Fibromas don't really have a rhyme or reason, they happen to young women most often though. It was found in February 2012, but wasn't there in October 2011 when I had my previous x-ray- that's how fast it grew. If I hadn't had regular dental care, who knows what would've happened. It was surgically removed March 8.

I'm all for natural health care, but don't fuck with your teeth.

Not trying to be ugly -

Grow up. Get over it. If necessary, call first and ask about some help (some dentists will give valium. Some will use nitrous, etc). Losing a bunch of teeth is not only cosmetic, it is a health issue.

Missing one front tooth? Implant is not the only option. There are bridges, or even a partial with one tooth.

Yeah, I have never gotten that piece before :roll:

I did not ask for advice and don't want any, thanks.

(I am running around with a missing tooth because it broke and the root got extracted at the start of the year, but I'll never be able to afford an implant anyway... but it looks... bad. No front tooth, but visible if I smile widely.)

*hugs*

I feel you. I'm terrified of the dentist too. I still go but its.....i'd rather get 8 pap smears in a row than a routine cleaning.

Ok. Cavities and lost teeth are bad. You know what else is? Bone tumors. I know because during a routine exam/x-ray my dentist found a marble sized fibroma inside my jaw bone. You couldn't see it by looking at me, and I never felt a thing. Had it grown until it was visible it would've displaced my teeth, broken my jaw, or blocked my airway. Fibromas don't really have a rhyme or reason, they happen to young women most often though. It was found in February 2012, but wasn't there in October 2011 when I had my previous x-ray- that's how fast it grew. If I hadn't had regular dental care, who knows what would've happened. It was surgically removed March 8.

Wow, that's pretty scary, I'm glad it was found and I hope you are better now.

What was the x-ray for? In this thread there is mention of regular x-rays, is that a US thing? I've only had one dental x-ray I think and that was pre-braces, something very specific. Was recommended another one to check out my wisdom teeth but I never had it. Definitely haven't had two as close together as October-March.

Also on the "big tooth" thing, maybe she uses big to mean molar rather than adult?

Wow, that's pretty scary, I'm glad it was found and I hope you are better now.

What was the x-ray for? In this thread there is mention of regular x-rays, is that a US thing? I've only had one dental x-ray I think and that was pre-braces, something very specific. Was recommended another one to check out my wisdom teeth but I never had it. Definitely haven't had two as close together as October-March.

Also on the "big tooth" thing, maybe she uses big to mean molar rather than adult?

Here you get x-rays 1x yearly to check for cavities.

Not trying to be ugly -

Grow up. Get over it.

That's extremely not helpful. Dentist/doctor phobias are a very real thing, and they're often partially caused by being shamed and made to feel bad. Telling someone to grow up and get over is not only a bit cruel, but doesn't do anything to actually make someone go and I imagine they stop listening as soon as you say something so dismissive.

Cran, around here I finally found a dentist that specifically advertises their lack of shaming tactics. I went, my teeth need thousands of dollars of work done, and every single person in the office was incredibly kind and understanding. I hope there's someone like that around you.

Thank you all for caring and understanding.

I am registered at a German forum for "people like me" ;) and am able to get recommendations there, at the moment, I am just not able to make the step.

Thank you all for caring and understanding.

I am registered at a German forum for "people like me" ;) and am able to get recommendations there, at the moment, I am just not able to make the step.

The phone call to make the appointment is incredibly hard. :( Best of luck to you.

That's extremely not helpful. Dentist/doctor phobias are a very real thing, and they're often partially caused by being shamed and made to feel bad. Telling someone to grow up and get over is not only a bit cruel, but doesn't do anything to actually make someone go and I imagine they stop listening as soon as you say something so dismissive.

Cran, around here I finally found a dentist that specifically advertises their lack of shaming tactics. I went, my teeth need thousands of dollars of work done, and every single person in the office was incredibly kind and understanding. I hope there's someone like that around you.

Agreed. I have had awful experiences with dentists and doctors shaming me (when I've done nothing wrong) and it is extremely difficult to get the confidence to go back.

Not trying to be ugly -

Not trying to be ugly-

You're a cunt.

Yeah, I have never gotten that piece before :roll:

I did not ask for advice and don't want any, thanks.

:romance-caress: < tried to find a hug, failed. Dentists can be assholes. I spent years and years not going except for emergencies because so many of them were rude to me. I know my mouth is fucked up, can't go back in time and magically fix it! I wish they would just shut up and fix my teeth. I don't actually have any advice. I just wanted to say I understand the situation a bit.

This 100 percent. I used to avoid the dentist because of their shaming tactics with me over something I couldn't control. I was lucky enough to find a good dentist and I hope one day you find one too Cran.

I had this!! I brushed and did everything normal, but just had the bad luck to get a tumor. It felt sort of weird, I am terrified of dentists too so tried to think it was nothing (for a few days - plus I was on vacation far far from home) but then, all of a sudden right after I got back, it just got large very fast, it was deforming my face - before I would have even had a normal dentist appointment had I called for one that first day. At that point I called up, I gotta do something, and they had me in surgery THAT VERY DAY. Mainly they were terrified of infection at first, but it turned out to be a tumor.

So that's why I have fake teeth in the front, root canalled out. Happily for me they did it all while I was completely out. It's in the front so I got imitation ceramic teeth, you can't tell. Worst part of the whole thing was them testing to see which teeth had died (from the tumor) already, because they do that by running electric current through them...

I have a gold tooth too, in the back (ordinary boring old filling from junior high school finally gave out, and root canal was the only option). Gold teeth last longer for heavy chewing, they're the better option, but call me vain, I only did that in the back :)

I'm terrified of the dentist I'll admit, but I brush and floss daily and the moment anything actually hurts I'm right in there. Luckily for me I was born with strong teeth, so haven't had many issues. But I also brush at least twice a day and floss.

Still, I'm also happy to have dentists that realize that cavities are a fact of life, and they also have them, so there's no shaming. This is very unlike the first dentist I saw in the US who tried to tell me I shouldn't eat rice. Yeah, not gonna happen buddy. Also the dentists I see are not into the "you must have movie star teeth" fad, so they're not always pushing cosmetic treatments and they list up the options, well, we can just pull this tooth and leave it alone, or you can get a crown, etc.

These days at least near me it seems there are more and more dentists advertising friendly treatment for adults, from just plain not shaming (which they explicitly advertise), to prescribing relaxing medication for beforehand, to complete sedation dentistry. It seems there's quite a market for it.

I have Sjogren's disease, it did a number on my teeth. Who knew lack of saliva can fuck you over so badly? I spent years trying to tell my dentist that I DID brush and floss and all that shit but they told me I was lying. I wasn't lying, the odds were stacked against me.

FWIW apparently lack of (or lessened) saliva is one of the things that causes the horrible teeth in meth users, too. Often they drink sweet beverages on top of that which really kicks it off, but lessened saliva (no matter HOW it happens) is definitely a problem that a lot of people just don't realize.

I had this!! I brushed and did everything normal, but just had the bad luck to get a tumor. It felt sort of weird, I am terrified of dentists too so tried to think it was nothing (for a few days - plus I was on vacation far far from home) but then, all of a sudden right after I got back, it just got large very fast, it was deforming my face - before I would have even had a normal dentist appointment had I called for one that first day. At that point I called up, I gotta do something, and they had me in surgery THAT VERY DAY. Mainly they were terrified of infection at first, but it turned out to be a tumor.

So that's why I have fake teeth in the front, root canalled out. Happily for me they did it all while I was completely out. It's in the front so I got imitation ceramic teeth, you can't tell. Worst part of the whole thing was them testing to see which teeth had died (from the tumor) already, because they do that by running electric current through them...

I have a gold tooth too, in the back (ordinary boring old filling from junior high school finally gave out, and root canal was the only option). Gold teeth last longer for heavy chewing, they're the better option, but call me vain, I only did that in the back :)

I'm terrified of the dentist I'll admit, but I brush and floss daily and the moment anything actually hurts I'm right in there. Luckily for me I was born with strong teeth, so haven't had many issues. But I also brush at least twice a day and floss.

Still, I'm also happy to have dentists that realize that cavities are a fact of life, and they also have them, so there's no shaming. This is very unlike the first dentist I saw in the US who tried to tell me I shouldn't eat rice. Yeah, not gonna happen buddy. Also the dentists I see are not into the "you must have movie star teeth" fad, so they're not always pushing cosmetic treatments and they list up the options, well, we can just pull this tooth and leave it alone, or you can get a crown, etc.

These days at least near me it seems there are more and more dentists advertising friendly treatment for adults, from just plain not shaming (which they explicitly advertise), to prescribing relaxing medication for beforehand, to complete sedation dentistry. It seems there's quite a market for it.

FWIW apparently lack of (or lessened) saliva is one of the things that causes the horrible teeth in meth users, too. Often they drink sweet beverages on top of that which really kicks it off, but lessened saliva (no matter HOW it happens) is definitely a problem that a lot of people just don't realize.

I had weak enamel on a few teeth and got cavities despite my good oral hygiene. Happens to everyone.

I had an ex who thought that fluoride was poison and that the government put it in tap water to kill us all slowly. Yeah...that relationship didn't last too long.

Did he happen to know Zsu?

Cran, you have my sympathy. I don't mind dentists but am a serious doctor-phobe, so I know where you're coming from.

I'm also one who had done everything right, and still ended up with cavities, as it's genetic. I also had some problems that the dentist recognized as being caused from stress, during the time when I was getting out of my abusive marriage. There was no shaming there, as it shows the damage that major stress does to the body.

Archived