IGNORED

Again with the obsession with death on a sinking ship!

Marian the Librarian

benbotkin.com

In which Ben ruminates on the imagined loss of his lovely wife Audri:

(embracing my dear Audri for the last time, telling her I love her for the last time, and whispering a verse of encouragement in her ear for the very last time)

And, incidentally, choosing not to mention the little Botkin that ought to be showing up 'bout any time now.

Drama queen.

benbotkin.com

And, incidentally, choosing not to mention the little Botkin that ought to be showing up 'bout any time now.

Drama queen.

WTF? My husband has sexual fantasies about me or me dusting/mopping but my death? He would never think fondly of this in anormal life and sure as hell wasn't ready to face it when it almost happened during my last 2 pregnancies. WTF is wrong with this man?

So apparently, men of the VF set get off to their wives boarding life boats and leaving themselves to die in the cold Atlantic Ocean dressed in their very finest Edwardian era togs. That's...uh, so romantic, I guess? :?

No matter how tearful it makes one, fantasising about losing one's spouse shortly before drowning or dying of hypothermia in icy water is not romantic nor healthy. Why the fixation with death?

See, when I think about me and my husband on a sinking ship, it's not all embracing and whispering encouragement as he dies and I live. Hell no. It's "Dammit, what can we find to keep us afloat and from freezing to death?" Nothing romantic. I don't want to think about him dying, and and sure as hell will not romanticize is. Ben is sick and twisted.

I know some genealogists are obsessed with find their ancestors who they believe died on that ship died on the Titanic. Also understand that Titanic was declared indestructible before she ever set sail, which just adds to the fascination. Me personally, all of my ancestors were in America long before, so I just chalk it up as a sad moment in history.

Ya know, people will still remember you as a religious person even if your last words aren't an inspirational bible verse.

Ya know, people will still remember you as a religious person even if your last words aren't an inspirational bible verse.

QFT! That part made me giggle a bit. I think that when Ben fantasizes about sacrificing himself for Audri, he's thinking not so much of Audri herself as of how she would make it to shore and tell all the people about how her husband was Such a Godly and Visionary Man that even his last words to her were from Scripture. And also about how she would carry out his 5,000,000 year plan in his absence. Weirdos. :roll:

QFT! That part made me giggle a bit. I think that when Ben fantasizes about sacrificing himself for Audri, he's thinking not so much of Audri herself as of how she would make it to shore and tell all the people about how her husband was Such a Godly and Visionary Man that even his last words to her were from Scripture. And also about how she would carry out his 5,000,000 year plan in his absence. Weirdos. :roll:

ETA: Since he mentioned the encouraging bible verse, it makes me wonder how often they throw "encouraging" Scripture at each other in day-to-day life and how annoying that would be.

Audri: I'm hungry.

Ben: Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.

Audri: I'm tired.

Ben: ... but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

ETC. And finally, AUDRI STAB! :lol:

I think that when Ben fantasizes about sacrificing himself for Audri, he's thinking not so much of Audri herself as of how she would make it to shore and tell all the people about how her husband was Such a Godly and Visionary Man that even his last words to her were from Scripture. And also about how she would carry out his 5,000,000 year plan in his absence. Weirdos. :roll:

This.

I think this "reflective movement" is very self-centered as he focuses on how he would react and what he would say. And at an even more basic level, he is not thinking of the very real pain suffered by both those who died and their survivors, just his imaginary pain and romanticized good-bye. It's all about him.

In which case, how is it sacrifice if one is not thinking about the well-being of another, but rather just one's manliness or honor? I thought the point was supposed to be about self-sacrifise? Oh wait, the event was all about manliness and honor. :roll:

"She is the greatest earthly gift I possess."

Did anyone else think this was weird?

Yes, but also par for the course...He naturally thinks of Audri as a gift that he possesses, because that's fundie marriage for you. She's not his partner, she's his possession, since woman came from the rib of man and all that. :roll:

I see it as a way to fuck with the emotions of the women. It once again shows that the man is superior to the women. He is willing to die for her. He is the family martyr, not the women, who is required to keep having children even if it puts her health at risk. He talks about how he would die for her to keep her believing that he loves her and wants to protect her. He may even use this as a way to manipulate her into believing that his abusive behavior towards her are actually actions of love.

Me "Honey, have you ever thought about what your last words to me would be if we were on the Titanic and you were going to die and the girls and I were going to live?"

Husband puts down his chips: "This has something to do with that werid forum you hang out on all the time, doesn't it? And, no, I have never thought about that." Starts eating chips again.

He's seen too many movies; people don't just say a few romantic words and peacefully die. People die before they can get the words out or die mid sentence, then their corpse craps itself. Death is not pretty.

I can see him kneeling down to whisper into her ear, and one of the officers manning the lifeboat pushing him out of the way so they could launch in time to save everyone.

Edited cuz it's launch, not lunch.

I know some genealogists are obsessed with find their ancestors who they believe died on that ship died on the Titanic.

I know a crazy number of people who think they were all passengers on the Titanic and are reincarnates of those passengers. Always first class passengers. Always.

Also understand that Titanic was declared indestructible before she ever set sail, which just adds to the fascination.

Technically White Star never claimed this. A newspaper article said the ship was "practically unsinkable", and just like today, the general public decided that something a newspaper claimed must be what the paper claimed to to "practically" be. This is why a lot of passengers wouldn't get into lifeboats. Why get into a tiny boat when they're on a ship they think is unsinkable because of a newspaper article?

Me "Honey, have you ever thought about what your last words to me would be if we were on the Titanic and you were going to die and the girls and I were going to live?"

Husband puts down his chips: "This has something to do with that werid forum you hang out on all the time, doesn't it? And, no, I have never thought about that." Starts eating chips again.

My husband is starting to assume that every off the wall comment I make is from that weird forum. He's right but I was making weird comments long before finding my own kind. :whistle:

Archived