IGNORED

Methodists: Yeah, We Still hate The Gays

Visionoyahweh

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/ ... story.html

After an emotional debate, Methodists at a national legislative meeting Thursday upheld the denomination’s policy that same-sex relationships are “incompatible with Christian teaching.’â€

Several overseas delegates spoke against any change in church law on homosexuality, arguing that the Bible forbids same-gender relationships and that homosexuality was not accepted in their countries. One African delegate, speaking through a translator, compared homosexuality to bestiality.

life is incompatible with christian teaching.

We so need a like button.

Lurker (and former Methodist) here. This news bums me out, though it is not entirely surprising. Homosexuality has been a touchy subject for awhile among Methodists and views are not consistent across the board. For a few semesters in college, I taught Sunday School at a very liberal Methodist Church in Texas. They were pro-choice, LGBT friendly, etc. One Sunday, an out lesbian politician (I forget the details) spoke during the service about gay rights. People were shouting "amen," even! On the flip side, if any of this would have happened at the smaller, more conservative Methodist church I grew up in, people probably would have exploded. My mother has attended a few national conferences and the acceptance of homosexuality has been debated each time. The last I had heard, the issue had been "postponed indefinitely" because no one could agree on anything. :roll: The opportunity was there for Methodists to shake things up, but it seems as if things have reverted back to the Christian homophobic status quo. For what it's worth, I'm agnostic now.

FWIW, the Methodist Church in the UK is liberal on LGBTQ issues. It's disappointing that the church in the US can't follow in their example.

compared homosexuality to bestiality

Not to be terribly too TMI, but in NO way does my kick ass sex life compare to the guy in Conway that has gotten caught 3 times having..relations..with a horse.

Not that I think the Methodists, or anyone in particular reallly, gives a damn. Pardon me, I'm amendment pissy.

It depends on the Methodist church, I've learned. There are some churches that put out there that they're "Affirming" churches, which means that they encourage GLBT people to attend there, but they don't actually come out and say anything because the more conservative Methodist elements get their panties into a bunch.

It really doesn't matter to me, since I don't go to church anymore.

This is disappointing. I was really hoping that the Methodists would follow in the footsteps of other denominations that are now gay-affirming. It's going to happen eventually.

Archived