IGNORED

MckMama Drama - Including the Fire - Merge

The Archivist

Guest Anonymous

I don't think that's true at all. In my experience neutering will calm the dog down over the long term regardless of the age at which you have the procedure done. I'm in the camp of "the sooner the better." Neutered dogs are less likely to be aggressive with other dogs, less likely to have dominance issues, and less likely to hump people and other dogs. (Some humping is common with both sexes especially when working out pecking order with new dogs, but neutering/spaying often reduces it.)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think that's true at all. In my experience neutering will calm the dog down over the long term regardless of the age at which you have the procedure done. I'm in the camp of "the sooner the better." Neutered dogs are less likely to be aggressive with other dogs, less likely to have dominance issues, and less likely to hump people and other dogs. (Some humping is common with both sexes especially when working out pecking order with new dogs, but neutering/spaying often reduces it.)

This, 1000 times.

With larger breed dogs, there is a slightly higher incidence of bone cancer if they are spayed/neutered before maturity. But it is easier to keep a dog confined, and often vets won't spay females in heat, or they charge more.

This is kind of on-topic, but while you pet people are around, I have a question: I have a 6 month old Sheprador who has, just this past week, started displaying signs of doggy puberty. My instinct is, of course, to get the procedure done ASAP but I was wondering what the best age to get them neutered is, because a friend of mine (who is a vet tech) told me that the behaviour/personality of the dog stays the same as it is when they get 'fixed' and, well, he's still very much a jumpy hyper puppy. I guess I was kind of hoping he'd mellow out a bit with age before the 'boys' dropped. So, in your eternal wisdom, FJers - is it true he'll be hyper for the rest of his life, or does neutering not affect their development that way?

Bekah, if he is humping that is related to dominance displays as well as hormones. Neutering and training will both help. I am a little more familiar with female dogs, which certainly do mature normally in behavior when spayed at four months or so, but most of the male dogs I know are also perfectly normal in the develpmental arc. The only one I have known who came close to being still puppy-like had a lot of other issues - I was hired as a teen to train him due to him pushing around his owners and biting them, yiping a lot, being an overall pest, etc. He settled down a LOT whenever handled correctly and would act much more normal, including an adult bark. Both his owners died of cancer within the year and he ended up going back to the breeder, who confessed that the litter had ALL been returned within a month or two, except for him, due to huge behavioral issues. Basically, your dog should be just fine getting it done at this age and it will probably be easier for him, not that it's a big deal for most dogs at all. Labs do tend to take a bit longer to grow up (some lines mature mentally at 3 or so), but he sounds like he's probably a fun little guy.

Okay, I get that she would rather we focus on human problems, rather than animal problems. (I disagree, but I'll get to that in a minute.) However, is she taking the $150 she saved by not spaying her cat and sending to Africa? Did she use that money to buy a hungry family in her community a nice meal? Or did she use it to help her own family?

Spaying her pet is her responsibility. Not to mention that spaying/neutering pets saves us all money in the long term. If we have wild domestic animals running everywhere, that's more tax money to go towards picking them up and putting them down. We can't just let stray dogs wander the street, as that is dangerous, because they transmit disease and because dogs who are abandoned tend to be more then not members of the bully breeds.

I haven't read the McMama post, because I can't stand her, but I get *enraged* when people use the fact that poverty/injustice/whatever exists in the world as justification for not taking care of their own responsibilities in their own lives. We have control over a very small portion of the world - our own families, pets, jobs, friends. Those are the things you *start* with - feeding and loving your kids, taking care of the animals around you, being a good employee, etc etc. Sure of course there are things we can do to make the world better - recycling, voting, donating to charity, stuff like that. And we should be doing those things. But what is the point of "saving the world" if your family and household is out of control? Take charge of what you can control first, then work on saving the world.

Anyone think of Mrs. Jellyby from Bleak House? She was all concerned with saving the natives in some (fictional, I think) African country; meanwhile, her household and many children were completely neglected and left to fend for themselves.

I know I probably sound super fundie here - I'm not saying that working women are neglecting their kids or something like that. My point is, you take care of what is right in front of you first - your kids, your family, your job, your community *Then* as time/finances/etc allow, you can work on caring for strangers and such. If everyone did this, the world would be a much better place.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for all the responses everyone :)

Looks like the little dude will be getting the snip soon. He really is a bright dog - incredibly smart, obedient and friendly. He's just kind of in-your-face at first, gets excited likes to jump up and bark. I'm sure he'll straighten out quickly with time and training, I just didn't want him to have some developmental freeze :S

I haven't read the McMama post, because I can't stand her, but I get *enraged* when people use the fact that poverty/injustice/whatever exists in the world as justification for not taking care of their own responsibilities in their own lives. We have control over a very small portion of the world - our own families, pets, jobs, friends. Those are the things you *start* with - feeding and loving your kids, taking care of the animals around you, being a good employee, etc etc. Sure of course there are things we can do to make the world better - recycling, voting, donating to charity, stuff like that. And we should be doing those things. But what is the point of "saving the world" if your family and household is out of control? Take charge of what you can control first, then work on saving the world.

Anyone think of Mrs. Jellyby from Bleak House? She was all concerned with saving the natives in some (fictional, I think) African country; meanwhile, her household and many children were completely neglected and left to fend for themselves.

I know I probably sound super fundie here - I'm not saying that working women are neglecting their kids or something like that. My point is, you take care of what is right in front of you first - your kids, your family, your job, your community *Then* as time/finances/etc allow, you can work on caring for strangers and such. If everyone did this, the world would be a much better place.

Isn't the thought of charity begins at home? I see so many fundies and non-fundies worried about people on the other side of the world but will ignore people in need in their own neighborhood. I think it is good to help people in great need and we all should do so but not ignore the people in our own town. Give what you can to those sufferening far away, but give and do for the people in your town, state and country the rest of the time. People and animals are in need right here and only focusing on helping those far away doesn't impresse me when one ignores the need right in front of their face. She wants all the glory but nothing to do with anything that would really help people close to her or far away. Just the glory. :evil: :roll:

It appears from her blog and FB that the McKinney's are moving. Jennifer is still talking as if they actually own the house they live in even as the records show the bank is now paying the taxes on it. She is not revealig the truth, but giving just enough hints to stir some drama and clicks.

Jennifer is also stating that her 3 month old kittens are still nursing, and she i so proud of her mother cat for embracing extended breastfeeding.

I feel for the five children and cannot imagine the stress of constant uprooting drama filled life they live with.

Three months is not what a cat would consider extended breastfeeding. Give it another month or two, and that cat'll be kicking her babies from her teats with great force. Cats don't practice child-led weaning.

Sounds about right, time for more drama.

Constant upheaval is right. Those kids never know which way is up, just smile for the camera because she's going to post those pictures on the blog again and again...

I think she's so up a creek right now, even the proverbial paddle wouldn't help her.

It seems like more and more people are openly questioning her on FB (before the threads get deleted, anyway). I've gotten sucked back into MWOP the last few days for my daily updates.

IMO, no. She is not broke. She is cryptic on purpose to get repeat visitors and clicks.

I think she has taken advantage of the weird tax thing to make it LOOK like she is moving to get people to check back. But I bet more than anything she is actually writing about moving boxes that just happen to contain her son's first grade curriculum.

IMO, no. She is not broke. She is cryptic on purpose to get repeat visitors and clicks.

I think she has taken advantage of the weird tax thing to make it LOOK like she is moving to get people to check back. But I bet more than anything she is actually writing about moving boxes that just happen to contain her son's first grade curriculum.

You may be on to something here. Jennifer is a champion at wordsmithing.

I wonder if she would be proud if she had pet birds and they practiced extended regurgitating for their babies.

Three months is not what a cat would consider extended breastfeeding. Give it another month or two, and that cat'll be kicking her babies from her teats with great force. Cats don't practice child-led weaning.

I agree three months isn't consider extended breastfeeding for a cat. It has been years since I have cared for a mother cat and kittens and there is always debate over whether the weaning process (by humans) should happen at 8 or at 12 weeks. I think Jennifer just feels extra special for letting her act breastfeed an extra month when some people wean kittens at 8 weeks.

omg. extended breastfeeding cats! HAAA.

somebody please send her a link for a hand made ring sling for her cat.

like this?

etsy.com/listing/76606928/pet-sling-dog-cat-bunny-carrier-for-any?ref=v1_other_2

:P

You may be on to something here. Jennifer is a champion at wordsmithing.

This is my feeling as well.

"Oh you thought we were moving??? Sorry you misunderstood!!!!!! Those moving boxes are actually for the organic box gardening project the MSC have planned for the end of summer!"

Lol. Silly fundies.

And now the dog is deathly ill. It's always something, no?

Yes, it is always something. That's how she makes money. I haven't followed her much but her reputation is hard to escape.

I figured they were in foreclosure and that that was the reason for their life on the road.

Archived