IGNORED

The cost of the no vaxer's

doggie

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But tell me why more outbreaks don't happen when most adults are not vaccinated for anything beyond tetanus?

First, because children are the main vectors of childhood disease.

Second, because formerly vaccinated adults still harbor some immunity.

Third, because having several decades of vaccination under our collective belts, there is much less vaccine-preventable disease in circulation than before widespread immunization.

I am willing to bet that there are other reasons as well, but the above are logical and irrefutable to people with minimal education. I am sorry you lack the education to comprehend a relatively simple issue and thus are easily won over by snake oil salesmen. No, really, I am sorry, because some kid is going to die because of you.

But tell me why more outbreaks don't happen when most adults are not vaccinated for anything beyond tetanus?

Adults between the age of 19 and 64 need one pertussis booster to keep their immunity. They also need to get another one at the age of 65. Most people dont know about the need to get a booster at the age of 19. Most adults who dont get the booster still have enough immunity to keep them from getting extreme forms of whooping cough.

Remember, the populations that are most at risk are the very young, the very old and those who have compromised immune systems. They are the ones who don't have a strong immune system.

First, because children are the main vectors of childhood disease.

Second, because formerly vaccinated adults still harbor some immunity.

Third, because having several decades of vaccination under our collective belts, there is much less vaccine-preventable disease in circulation than before widespread immunization.

I am willing to bet that there are other reasons as well, but the above are logical and irrefutable to people with minimal education. I am sorry you lack the education to comprehend a relatively simple issue and thus are easily won over by snake oil salesmen. No, really, I am sorry, because some kid is going to die because of you.

:clap: Thank you, Emmie. I really think all those against vaccines (by choice, not because of reactions) should take some time and research these illnesses (or go and talk to people who have had them). Perhaps they would change their tune.

Isn't this the bit where we all start talking about nail polish? If Jericho isn't willing to understand that words have meanings that may not be the same as what he wants them to mean, we can't exactly make him. :(

Isn't this the bit where we all start talking about nail polish? If Jericho isn't willing to understand that words have meanings that may not be the same as what he wants them to mean, we can't exactly make him. :(

I think that we have already decided to just spam the page with my little ponies!

As an example, when I needed to get an MMR vaccination a week or so ago, the nurse told me that I could get a titer instead to see if I had immunity to the disease. Most adults are still immune decades later thanks to their vaccinations as children, but some are not. The vax was cheaper than the titer, so I opted for that.

And this:

To go along with all the pro-vaccination sites!

The fact that reputable sites come out in favor of vaccination does not make them biased. It means that fact, in this case, supports my position and not yours. Which makes sense, because I base my opinions on fact and you don't.

Where is he getting this fact that that *all* vaccines "wear off" after ten years, therefore the majority of the adult population is not vaccinated?

Got news for you jericho, 96% of people living in the US born before 1980 have been vaccinated for smallpox. Feel free to comment on why we haven't had a case in 40 odd years. When your done, you can look up the stats for Europe, Asia, and Africa and explain how smallpox has been eradicated without herd immunity. Then we can discuss the several hundred million missing cases of measles, polio, and diptheria world wide.

How old are you and do you have even Clue One about what life was like before vaccines?

I also want to mention that many of us who were vaccinated in the 50's also were revaxed when we were in our teens. Some of us had additional vaxes because we were traveling into countries that still had some SP before it was eliminated.

I have that one, Jessica. I liked it for an important interview--neutral without being the ubiquitous french manicure--but for most occasions I go a little more flamboyant.

Advances in vaccines mean that even with there being vaccines for more diseases, there are actually fewer antigens (the bits that make your body produce antiobodies to the diseases) than ever before - by a lot. And they go through tons of scrutiny as to whether they're safe, and the current vaccination schedule is backed up by research on what vaccines work best together and when in a child's development. More info at http://www.vaccinateyourbaby.org/safe/a ... dening.cfm

Not to mention that our bodies are fighting off more "germs" at any one time than what we are being vaccinated for. It isn't any different than what we go through on our own, it's just being exposed to them in a somewhat safer way than what nature would do.

Where is he getting this fact that that *all* vaccines "wear off" after ten years, therefore the majority of the adult population is not vaccinated?

Antivaccine sites.

Now as for nail polish, I am looking for a lavender color that is UV set. Anyone have suggestions?

No clue. Most adults just need a tetanus shot every 10 years and most colleges recommend that their students get shots against meningitis before they arrive.

Because Jericho regularly accuses me of using biased sources like the American Medical Association:

reality_has_a_well_known_liberal_bias_bumper_sticker-p128598922124624504trl0_400.jpg

Antivaccine sites.

Now as for nail polish, I am looking for a lavender color that is UV set. Anyone have suggestions?

I don't know what UV set means in terms of nail polish, but I can definitely recommend "To Buy Or Not to Buy" by Essie as THE lavendar for this season. Absolutely awesome.

I don't know what UV set means in terms of nail polish, but I can definitely recommend "To Buy Or Not to Buy" by Essie as THE lavendar for this season. Absolutely awesome.

UV cure is the stuff that needs to be set under a UV light in order to dry or cure. I like it because it dries so much faster then traditional polish. I will look for To Buy Or Not to Buy though. It sounds pretty. Any other suggestions?

My grandmother lost 3 children to diptheria. My Dad survived diptheria, in part because when he had his tonsils out around 1908 part of his soft palate was accidently removed. My Dad's sister died in the 1930's of polio, leaving her husband and a 6 month old son. I lost a childhood friend to polio in the 1950's. Several other classmates had polio and now have post polio syndrome. In the Navy I took care of a young man who died of tetanus. It was a horrible death, very painful. My daughter's birth aunt had rubella during her 1st trimester of pregnancy, her daughter was born deaf. My DH had mumps as a young teenager, making him sterile. In my family we immunize.

I don't wear nail polish.

Because Jericho regularly accuses me of using biased sources like the American Medical Association:

reality_has_a_well_known_liberal_bias_bumper_sticker-p128598922124624504trl0_400.jpg

Down with the American Medical Association! We need to wipe out their liberal vaccine loving selves and replace it with a neutral organization! Pitchforks ready!

No clue. Most adults just need a tetanus shot every 10 years and most colleges recommend that their students get shots against meningitis before they arrive.

My younger son went college in IL. The meningitis shot was mandatory.

mlp+my+little+pony+meme+bronies+haters+gonna+hate+animooted.gif

I have that one, Jessica. I liked it for an important interview--neutral without being the ubiquitous french manicure--but for most occasions I go a little more flamboyant.

Any ideas for ridiculously, embarrassingly short nails? I've been biting my nails for 20 years now and I'm trying to stop. Some pretty nail polish to look forward to might motivate me. ;)

My younger son went college in IL. The meningitis shot was mandatory.

I'm glad to hear that it's becoming mandatory. My state only recently enacted legislation requiring it for college admission. a few years ago when I first started college it wasn't required, but I got it anyway just to be safe.

My grandmother lost 3 children to diptheria. My Dad survived diptheria, in part because when he had his tonsils out around 1908 part of his soft palate was accidently removed. My Dad's sister died in the 1930's of polio, leaving her husband and a 6 month old son. I lost a childhood friend to polio in the 1950's. Several other classmates had polio and now have post polio syndrome. In the Navy I took care of a young man who died of tetanus. It was a horrible death, very painful. My daughter's birth aunt had rubella during her 1st trimester of pregnancy, her daughter was born deaf. My DH had mumps as a young teenager, making him sterile. In my family we immunize.

I don't wear nail polish.

Do you like ponies???

8976_46a2.jpeg

Archived