IGNORED

The cost of the no vaxer's

doggie

Any ideas for ridiculously, embarrassingly short nails? I've been biting my nails for 20 years now and I'm trying to stop. Some pretty nail polish to look forward to might motivate me. ;)

I found that painting my nails got me to stop biting them. I was bugged by them not being perfect (OCD person here). So, painting them was a good solution.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any ideas for ridiculously, embarrassingly short nails? I've been biting my nails for 20 years now and I'm trying to stop. Some pretty nail polish to look forward to might motivate me. ;)

Lately I have been doing bright green or bright blue with multicolored sparkles. You might also try those decals that cover the whole nail--I can never remember the name, but I bet they taste horrible.

Lately I have been doing bright green or bright blue with multicolored sparkles. You might also try those decals that cover the whole nail--I can never remember the name, but I bet they taste horrible.

I love blues, but, I have to be interview ready right now.

Do you like ponies???

8976_46a2.jpeg

Well, I haven't thought about that. I admire horses from a distance. I'm quite allergic to them up close. I did drive by a farm the other day that had miniature horses, they were quite cute. So, yes, I will say I like ponies.

I'm glad to hear that it's becoming mandatory. My state only recently enacted legislation requiring it for college admission. a few years ago when I first started college it wasn't required, but I got it anyway just to be safe.

I know my (private) Iowa college required it, but I got mine a year early, due to the fact that I was to spend a summer living in hostels in the UK when I was 17- very similar to dorm conditions. Even if it hadn't been required by my summer program or college, I would have gotten vaxed, since one of my parents' good friends in college nearly died of meningitis. We vax for everything in my family, especially flu. I've posted on this before, but I can't have the pertussis vax due to a bad reaction (low-grade fever, nausea, and a headache so severe that even hydrocodone didn't help), and I have "twitchy" lungs (I get bronchitis 3-4 times a year for about two weeks at a time, and it's AWFUL), so whooping cough would do a number on me. I NEED herd immunity to survive.

Well, I haven't thought about that. I admire horses from a distance. I'm quite allergic to them up close. I did drive by a farm the other day that had miniature horses, they were quite cute. So, yes, I will say I like ponies.

I am allergic to horses too. I do love to look at them though.

I have "twitchy" lungs (I get bronchitis 3-4 times a year for about two weeks at a time, and it's AWFUL), so whooping cough would do a number on me. I NEED herd immunity to survive.

I would be willing to bet you have asthma, not bronchitis. You should bring this up with your health care provider. The next time see if you can be prescribed an albuterol inhaler and a short prednisone burst, you'll be better in less than 2 weeks. Keep a log, see if your episodes coincide with a particular pollen or mold season.

I would be willing to bet you have asthma, not bronchitis. You should bring this up with your health care provider. The next time see if you can be prescribed an albuterol inhaler and a short prednisone burst, you'll be better in less than 2 weeks. Keep a log, see if your episodes coincide with a particular pollen or mold season.

I already have asthma issues (the only time they bother me is on ozone days, tho, and my rescue inhaler helps). I tend to get bronchitis when I already have a head cold or a sinus infection, though I had one bout follow a case of strep, and it then goes to my chest, so it's almost always infection-based (I'm allergic to dust mites and dogs, but it's limited to sneezing and itchy eyes). My doc usually gets me on prednisone if it's too bad, and antibiotics if it goes on more than about 8-10 days. I hate prednisone, it makes my appetite go out of control. Ughhhh!

Because I'm prone to sinus infections, and since they can lead to bronchitis for me, my doctor's had me try using a neti-pot and flushing my sinuses, and it helps so much. Basically prevention is my best bet, since we know the pattern for me (get sinus infection, three days later, get bronchitis). All hail the mighty neti-pot!

I already have asthma issues (the only time they bother me is on ozone days, tho, and my rescue inhaler helps). I tend to get bronchitis when I already have a head cold or a sinus infection, though I had one bout follow a case of strep, and it then goes to my chest, so it's almost always infection-based (I'm allergic to dust mites and dogs, but it's limited to sneezing and itchy eyes). My doc usually gets me on prednisone if it's too bad, and antibiotics if it goes on more than about 8-10 days. I hate prednisone, it makes my appetite go out of control. Ughhhh!

Because I'm prone to sinus infections, and since they can lead to bronchitis for me, my doctor's had me try using a neti-pot and flushing my sinuses, and it helps so much. Basically prevention is my best bet, since we know the pattern for me (get sinus infection, three days later, get bronchitis). All hail the mighty neti-pot!

That really sounds like allergies to me too- do you take a daily allergy med? The stuffiness from allergies can trigger a sinus infection. And neti pots are supposed to help with allergies.

I only say this because I followed a similar pattern for years and finally went to be tested, and I was allergic to just about everything.

That really sounds like allergies to me too- do you take a daily allergy med?

I only say this because I followed a similar pattern for years and finally went to be tested, and I was allergic to just about everything.

Yep. Claritin and Flonase. I've been tested for allergies every several years since early childhood. Keep in mind, I've been seeing an allergy and asthma doctor, in addition to a GP since I was four years old.

A FB "friend" posted this article this morning- she said we all need to read this to be prepared to respond to our children's doctors. Uh, I have no need for planned responses since my kids are vaccinated, but thanks anyway?

I don't care for this person and want to formulate a response, but I don't know if I have time to put together a well researched response. I think it's best that I leave well enough alone. She's a nutritionist and homeopathic "counselor." My daughter spends a lot of time (they are in sports together) with her daughter.

If anyone wishes to rip this article to shreds- please, be my guest!

http://preventdisease.com/news/12/04241 ... dium=email

If its proven, then why is it considered a "theory"? Here is another article talking about how Herd immunity is misleading people.

http://www.vaccinationcouncil.org/2012/02/18/the-deadly-impossibility-of-herd-immunity-through-vaccination-by-dr-russell-blaylock/

Jericho, why is it that you claimed to have come here just to snark on fundies, yet you do so very, very little of that? Why is it that when you do actually start posting, it is almost never to snark fundies? You almost always post stuff like this, which isn't fundie snark. It would be different if you snarked on fundies while posting things like this, but you don't. I'm beginning to think you lied when you said you came here to snark on fundies.

If its proven, then why is it considered a "theory"? Here is another article talking about how Herd immunity is misleading people.

http://www.vaccinationcouncil.org/2012/02/18/the-deadly-impossibility-of-herd-immunity-through-vaccination-by-dr-russell-blaylock/

Are you intentionally obtuse or just stupidly scientifically illiterate?

Do you know what the word 'theory' means?

Because if you get down to technicalities there's a 'theory' (no, not law, law is a misnomer that has carried over from old nomenclature) of gravity.

Something that has been sufficiently proven is considered a theory. Something that's just proposed but not proven is a hypothesis.

Because in scientific parlance, "theory" means "something that's basically been proven". Something that's doubtful is a hypothesis. This is basic, elementary-school stuff.

Edit: Because I can't resist cute kid stories, this all reminds me of a few weeks ago when my older niece told me, quite seriously, that when she had exaggerated a story using "literally" she was right to do so. "That's why I said literally. You know, it means 'actually but not really', Connie?" You may now return to your regularly scheduled conversation.

The chickenpox vaccine might not prevent the shingles, so even people who received that vaccine might still need the shingles vaccine. But there is a shingles vaccine, so, yay!

ETA: The chickenpox vaccine is expected to decrease the rate of shingles, but it just hasn't been around long enough to tell for sure.

I'm all for the shingles vaccine. I've known people who took the vaccine, but still developed shingles although it was a "mild" case. They all said if that was a mild case, they never wanted to know what a "real" case was like. It just seems like it would be best to vaccinate against cp and never have cp; and then not be at risk for shingles.

I hope the vaccine eradicates cp. It seems to be a tricky virus, though, and it does not want to go away. Anything that lays wait in your system, to lie in wait 50 or so years only to wreak havoc on your health...geez. That's one heck of a virus.

Yep. Claritin and Flonase. I've been tested for allergies every several years since early childhood. Keep in mind, I've been seeing an allergy and asthma doctor, in addition to a GP since I was four years old.

Nebulizer treatments are divine.

Are you intentionally obtuse or just stupidly scientifically illiterate?

Do you know what the word 'theory' means?

Because if you get down to technicalities there's a 'theory' (no, not law, law is a misnomer that has carried over from old nomenclature) of gravity.

Something that has been sufficiently proven is considered a theory. Something that's just proposed but not proven is a hypothesis.

Herd immunity is not a fact or a theory. It is more of an observation about the rate of disease transmission. The idea is very simple- when immune individuals are exposed to these diseases they catch them at a very low rate. Most don't catch the disease. A few do catch it. Anyone who catches the disease could spread it to others. Those who do not become sick WON'T spread the disease to others. If you can decrease the total number of people who get sick, you decrease the number of people who spread the disease to others. That's it. Pretty simple concept.

Some adults do have lifetime immunity from their childhood vaccines. I do, I had the bloodwork done to prove it. So does my father, and he is in his 70's. He has also proved it with blood tests.

Some adults need to have their immunity boosted. If they do, the number of immune individuals in the population will increase and the spread of vaccine preventable illnesses will be reduced. I highly doubt that adults need their vaccines boosted every two years as the article claims.

In other words, the fact that vaccines are wearing off in some adults sooner that expected is TOTALLY UNRELATED to whether or not herd immunity "works". The author of this article is attempting to disprove the idea of herd immunity with the unrelated idea of lifetime immunity from vaccines. It all sounds very "scientific" but it doesn't hold up to examination.

I know my (private) Iowa college required it, but I got mine a year early, due to the fact that I was to spend a summer living in hostels in the UK when I was 17- very similar to dorm conditions. Even if it hadn't been required by my summer program or college, I would have gotten vaxed, since one of my parents' good friends in college nearly died of meningitis. We vax for everything in my family, especially flu. I've posted on this before, but I can't have the pertussis vax due to a bad reaction (low-grade fever, nausea, and a headache so severe that even hydrocodone didn't help), and I have "twitchy" lungs (I get bronchitis 3-4 times a year for about two weeks at a time, and it's AWFUL), so whooping cough would do a number on me. I NEED herd immunity to survive.

The vacccine wasn't required for me and I was not even aware of it really until my sister was originally going away to school and they had her get it. I heard it was just for those in dorms, so I never thought to get it.

As for other vaccines and herd immunity being a bad theory, let me question this. Why is it that when I was in school people were only rarely ever allowed exemptions for vaccines and it was just the normal thing to do? Why is it that not one person came down with the measles or mumps or rubella or diptheria or polio or whooping cough when I was kid? I caught chicken pox as a kid, but in 1994 or 95, can't remember when I caught it, there was not a vaccine for it. I had really, really bad, covered in it and still have a few small scars. I had the pox in my mouth even and up my nose. My sister caught it from me. It's a normal childhood illness for most kids, but not all kids. And as others have said, shingles.

I wonder, since I've heard whooping cough has mutated, could that be with the lack of immunized children mixed with immunized ones? Sort of like when you don't take antibiotics correctly or too much and it's caused mutations. I'm just curious and since some people have far more skills in science than I do, they can probably explain this better.

Either way, the rise of measles and whooping cough is not a good thing and all I know is that when I was child, no one I know came down with such illnesses. I'm sure it had nothing to do with the vaccines being basically mandatory for everyone or anything. There isn't a philosophical exemption where I live.

As somone who has permanent lung damage due to there being no pertussis vaccine when she was a child I am going to get on my soapbox now: GET VACCINATED, VACCINATE YOUR KIDS!!!!!!!

I don't get the flu shot anymore after a bad reaction. My doctor promised me tamiflu when we had the swineflu outbreak but I never needed it. But any future kids will get every single vaccine on the recommended dates. End of story.

A FB "friend" posted this article this morning- she said we all need to read this to be prepared to respond to our children's doctors. Uh, I have no need for planned responses since my kids are vaccinated, but thanks anyway?

I don't care for this person and want to formulate a response, but I don't know if I have time to put together a well researched response. I think it's best that I leave well enough alone. She's a nutritionist and homeopathic "counselor." My daughter spends a lot of time (they are in sports together) with her daughter.

If anyone wishes to rip this article to shreds- please, be my guest!

http://preventdisease.com/news/12/04241 ... dium=email

Good article. Lots of useful resources listed. Thanks for posting.

As somone who has permanent lung damage due to there being no pertussis vaccine when she was a child I am going to get on my soapbox now: GET VACCINATED, VACCINATE YOUR KIDS!!!!!!!

I don't get the flu shot anymore after a bad reaction. My doctor promised me tamiflu when we had the swineflu outbreak but I never needed it. But any future kids will get every single vaccine on the recommended dates. End of story.

I'm 67 and there was pertussis vaccine when I was a child. If you are still able to speak of future kids you are way younger than me. Pertussis vaccine, along with tetanus and diptheria vaccines, have been around a very long time, I want to say late 1930's.

Down with the American Medical Association! We need to wipe out their liberal vaccine loving selves and replace it with a neutral organization! Pitchforks ready!

The AMA and the FDA are corrupt. Look at what Monsanto has done to our food supply with the approval of the FDA! If you want to trust these organizations just because they are "mainstream" and set up to protect us by the government, God help you.

When I was being treated for cancer, I was told that it was very important that I stay indoors and avoid people.

I though it was a generalized "germs" thing - until I was told that no, due to decreasing rates of vaccination, I was more likely (statistically speaking) to run into someone on the street that had $DISEASE, and in my immunocompromised state, that could be lethal.

FWIW on the vaccine-autism thing, autism of varying degrees of severity is rampant in my family, and documentation of symptoms that are now recognizable as autism go back pretty far. This is only one family, of course, but it's decent evidence of a genetic link.

I don't generally comment back-to-back, but:

Jericho, the corruption of the AMA and the FDA (with regards to food crops) is a completely separate issue from vaccines.

Let me spell it out for you, in a handy-dandy numbered list.

1) What you think vaccines do is not accurate.

2) Vaccines are safe for the overwhelming majority of the population.

3) People who cannot be vaccinated rely on the rest of the population for their own safety and health. This is the phenomenon of herd immunity.

4) The science is CLEAR on all of the above.

Oh, and for context: I have a Ph.D. in biochemistry. While vaccines are not my primary area of study, I have studied them, and the immune system.

Archived