IGNORED

Any Doctor Who fans?

Guest Member456

Agree. John simmer Is awesome.

My theory on Missy is that she is a version of Idris. The TARDIS regenerates with the Doctor remember so the change in looks isn't an issue. And Idris referred to him as her boyfriend as has Missy. Also Idris was slightly unhinged. I can see Idris collecting people/beings who have sacrificed themselves for the Doctor.

Ahhhh. Yes! Great thought! Hmmm. This mystery may go on a while though - looks like Mr. Gaiman might not be writing an actual episode until next season. Maybe Missy is a character he created and will write the episode where her truth is revealed. Missy definitely gives off a Gaiman-ish vibe.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Doctor tells Clara, that he's made a lot of MIStakes and that its time he fixes them. Possible that somehow the Tardis (as MISsy) is trying to fix that. The capital letters are on purpose in case that isn't clear. LOL

So we're three episodes in and I'm waiting for the Doctor to step up and be a man (well, a Time Lord). Has he lost his intelligence? Why is Clara the smart problem solving one all the time? Fencing with a spoon? Bickering with Robin Hood endlessly? And why all the plucking of hair?

Poor Peter Capaldi. The man is a genius actor but this stuff is demeaning. Pratt falling into a creek for goodness sake.

This stuff better be the seeds of an awesome story arc but I'm hating Moffatt at this point.

And I hope that the sonic screwdriver has been lost for good with the Sheriff. It seems to have turned into a laser missile now what with blowing up the archery target.

I feel like that episode was another yawn fest. I just don't get it. Usually there is maybe one episode in a season that I'm not drawn into, but this is 2 episodes in a row. Hope things pick up soon. Maybe we could get away from the robot-alien theme?

The spoon-fencing was the one thing that caught my interest. I want my show back!

:pull-hair:

I liked this episode better than the last one. It was more fun. Next week looks like it has good creep-potential.

How many episodes this season?

I liked this episode better than the last one. It was more fun. Next week looks like it has good creep-potential.

How many episodes this season?

Thirteen plus Christmas, which is currently filming.

Listen. I listened and I'm confused. Maybe I'm supposed to be confused. It's Clara Who now not Doctor Who. Clara's great grandson, maybe. Clara traveling to Gallifrey. Clara snogging Danny Pink. Clara comforting sad children. Clara, Clara, Clara. (Apologies to Jan Brady there).

Oh and as some sort of side plot the Doctor had a bit of a chat about a maybe-monster under a blanket.

What if that wasn't the Doctor she was talking to on Gallifrey? What if it was the Master? Or someone else? I'm not up on old Doctor Who mythology, so I don't know of any other candidates.

I rewatched the Robin Hood episode and it was better the second time around for me.

Listen -- it was good. Better than the others. Yeah, it was Clara-heavy again, but clearly they're building a storyline that, well -- spoilers. Interesting thought about the scene on Gallifrey. If it was The Doctor, I believe it would be the first time any scene relating to his childhood was shown. Well, aside from the cradle that Melody Pond had. Anyhoo -- I would lean more toward it being the Doctor, but it could be the Master as well. We've seen in the past how scared he was to look into the untempered schism as a child. And it seems past time for him to show up again. Oh my head is spinning with this theory! Will he be just as twisted as ever? Or will Clara have helped him to be a better person? If it was him? Hmmm. :think:

I am still waiting for the Doctor to burst into a load of expletives a la Malcolm Tucker

BUT I do like Capaldi's Doctor. A lot. It's a return to classic Who, the slightly less fluffy bunny approach and let us not forget this regeneration has some serious shit to work through realising that he is not responsible for the fall of Gallifrey etc

After last night's epsiode - which our family has renamed "Don't Think!", I will admit that the series continues to grow on me. I am beginning to get annoyed by the Clara focus, but I think it will play out in the Christmas episode. It would be nice if the Doctor could get some new companions of his very own as Clara kind of seems like baggage at the moment. Maybe the two from last night - Psi and Saibra? I just hope that whoever it ends up being we don't have to deal with any sexual tension (unless it's with River Song) so there can be some real adventures.

• 2 weeks later...

The Caretaker was, at last, a vehicle for Mr Capaldi to show some range. I adored his smug expression when he thought that the Matt lookalike was Clara's boyfriend. Then later the dawning realization that he wasn't and the bewilderment when Clara said that Adrian wasn't her type - brilliant.

Negatives? Still a bit Clara-centric and the whole salute/sir thing between Danny and the Doctor was just awkward. And the robot on wheels was not at all scary particularly because it seemed to be such a bad shot. Ok it wasn't't the focus of the episode but they could have tried harder. Didn't see any evidence of it flying so easy to avoid (like Daleks of old) by running up some stairs.

Anyone have comments on annoying Courtney? Is she going to be an alternate companion when Clara is having a day off?

I think Danny's "Sir!" thing was meant to be awkward.

I sort of like the idea that Missy is the Master (though apparently she is God now) but am reluctant to give up my thought that she is somehow the woman who accidentally got saved as a supergenius in Silence in the Library.

Anyone here as dopey as me in failing to recognize the actor who portrayed Seb in the Nethersphere as being from The Thick of It? I knew he was due to pop up in the Christmas special but they kept this one quiet. Hope we see more of him.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm really having a hard time liking this season. I find myself doing other things during the episodes because they just don't catch my interest. Clara is a horrible girlfriend, teacher and companion, but it looks like that next weeks episode might explain that.

Agree. But even if the episode explains that, it doesn't excuse Moffatt from making the season so far more about Clara than about The Doctor.

Capaldi is brilliant but the focus is continually on Clara. The other characters are seen as an extension of her rather than The Doctor being the central character.

I wish we could have a Clara free episode and work River in somehow. I'd love to see that dynamic.

Samuel Anderson is doing a great job with the scraps he has been thrown as Danny but jeez I wish he could be given less of a doormat role. Grow a pair and confront Clara. She's horrible.

Moffatt better resolve this season well or he's wasted Capaldi.

My summation of this season? "Well, at least Capaldi is hot!"

I'd follow Capaldi to any show (hell, I watched Musketeers for the scraps of him in it), but, at this point, I'm only here for him. Poor Jenna deserves so much better than she has gotten - she went from boring to unlikeable. The Doctor's insulting of her appearance needs to stop. It's not funny anymore.

Moffat needs firing. NOW.

Yep I'd do Capaldi too. Those hands are magical.

There must be someone else out there who could be show runner - Gaiman maybe?

Oh yes please. Gaiman has written some of the very few episodes of the Moffat era I have actually liked. Nick Briggs from Big Finish (I think. I've barely stepped a toe into the audios waters) is another name I hear a lot.

Anyone but Moff at this point please!

So if Missy is The Rani ( I had to look that up -- I stopped watching after Davison until Paul McGann) I would love to see River Song come back. That would be a battle of the brains and wits right there.

I agree though that the Doctor seems to be a supporting character this season, and that just shouldn't be. Didn't watch last week's episode yet, though - fell asleep. Would love to see Clara move on, but there hasn't been any scuttlebutt about casting a new companion anywhere, so I'm not holding out any great hope.

Bring back Rory the Roman! Or Captain Jack! Or the freaking face of Boe for pity's sake -- just fix the show!

*end of rant*

• 2 months later...

How did I not see this Dr. Who thread before?

I had trouble getting into the old series. Nothing against the show, but it was too overwhelming - too many doctors and too many seasons and too many episodes. I couldn't keep up. I just kind of started fresh with the reboot.

Every Doctor I see is my favorite. I loved Eccleston until I saw Tennant (rowr rowr) and I thought I couldn't love anyone as much but then I fell for the amazing goofiness of Matt Smith. I think I'm loving the wacky and intense Capaldi even more.

I am on the fence about how I feel about Clara. She is supposedly the Doctor's savior throughout time, so she plays an important role. I just don't think there is anything more to do with her currently that is interesting. We need fresh storylines and what else is there to do with Clara? I like her better than Rose Tyler though.

I am on the fence about how I feel about Clara. She is supposedly the Doctor's savior throughout time, so she plays an important role. I just don't think there is anything more to do with her currently that is interesting. We need fresh storylines and what else is there to do with Clara? I like her better than Rose Tyler though.

Anyone is better than Rose Tyler. I miss Donna and Martha. Amy was annoying and Rose made me cringe.

I'd really like to see a male companion. And before anyone mentions Captain Jack or Rory or Micky, they were all combined with a female companion. I mean no females on the TARDIS for a while just to see how that plays out. Moffatt sucks at writing for women so with that dynamic removed it could be interesting.

I'm a former fan.

Loved the original series. Tom Baker is my favorite doctor and the first Romana my favorite companion. The reboot had a lot going for it. Loved Eccleston, and the first Tennant season.

I have a lot of problems with the new series, mostly with the forced romanctic feelings and total shitshows like the episode where a woman was turned into a paving stone but could still give her boyfriend BJs. The Martha season was painful to watch, while Donna was a real breath of fresh air the conclusion of that season was so awful I just fell asleep.

They brought back the Daleks so fucking often that I just couldn't take it anymore. I started watching the Amy Pond seasons with my boyfriend a year ago on the condition that I would watch no episodes with Daleks, Cybermen, or possibly even Weeping Angels, but eventually just lost interest.

Hi shedemi I know what you mean about the romantic stuff. I truly disliked the whole Ten/Rose thing. Seriously a hundreds of years old super intelligent time traveller falls in love with an annoying chav a mere fraction of a percent of his age with a lifespan to match?

And yes I know the whole "the doctor loves earth girls" thing has been covered but sheesh it was super annoying. I much preferred Eleven's childlike bewilderment over relationships.

And yes I agree that Daleks have been much overused. Also Cybermen.

Still hooked on the show though. It's one of the few tv shows that I can sit and bond with my kids over.

Archived