IGNORED

Okay, I HAVE to say this... Toe vs Tow the Line

Kitten

It's TOE the line, not tow the line (unless you have a car or boat behind you that you're planning to move somewhere).

Origins are in dispute, but not the actual phrase (and its correct spelling).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toe_the_line

I keep seeing "tow the line" in people's responses, and as a writer/editor, I. Can't. Stand. It. Any. Longer.

Yes, I have a touch of OCD, thanks for asking! :D

You may now resume your regular snarking...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, Kitten! I wondered which one was correct. Tow seemed to make sense to me, but I've seen Toe so many times that I started to think that maybe I had it wrong. The Wiki article makes perfect sense.

*And please don't barf or rip your hair out when you read this. I tend to write the same way I talk, for better or worse. :oops:

*And please don't barf or rip your hair out when you read this. I tend to write the same way I talk, for better or worse. :oops:

I don't as I can't spell worth a darn. I normaly speak using a much better vocab but I can only spell $5 words. :oops:

Have I mentioned recently that I love you guys?

It's so good to know I'm not the only sad person when it comes to correct grammar and syntax and expressions . . .

Thank you Kitten!

Guest Anonymous

duty_calls.png

(I work in an academic environment where correcting other people's grammar and syntax is a daily sport. :cry:)

Meh, I'm a hardcore descriptivist. It has become an idiomatic expression, so both versions are acceptable. If you know what the person means, it's right. That's how language works.

I'm all for correct grammar, too, but I hope everyone keeps in mind that this is a forum, not a thesis. I may make the occasional mistake and I really don't think anyone wants to feel every time they post here that the grammar and spelling police are hovering just waiting for someone to make a mistake. I've edited a book as part of a position I held, I can diagram any sentence in the universe, my spelling is generally good, but I still make mistakes. If anyone is looking for a mistake-free world, keep looking. We have a grammar topic in "Chatter" where we discuss pet peeves, but I hope we don't start a new grammar topic every time someone's pet peeve arises. I'm not trying to slap hands; these are my personal feelings as a poster here.

i have pet peeves, but i also consider forums and chat rooms to be a casual form of language, and give lots of grammatical passes...when writing professionally, or even for personal correspondence, i'm a total grammar snob.

here? i can't even be bothered to capitalize letters.

i have pet peeves, but i also consider forums and chat rooms to be a casual form of language, and give lots of grammatical passes...when writing professionally, or even for personal correspondence, i'm a total grammar snob.

THIS.

(But, technically, the OP is correct. And both versions are not right). :-)

As someone who had learning disabilities, that DON'T magically disappear once you turn 18* or even manage to graduate college, the grammar/spelling people can bite my ass.

*I have seriously heard, many times over, that LD's 'don't count' because I am an adult now. :roll:

Meh, I'm a hardcore descriptivist. It has become an idiomatic expression, so both versions are acceptable. If you know what the person means, it's right. That's how language works.

Yes.

As someone who had learning disabilities, that DON'T magically disappear once you turn 18* or even manage to graduate college, the grammar/spelling people can bite my ass.

As someone who doesn't have LD but just doesn't particularly give a rat's rear end- I support this message.

I hope the others aren’t too harsh on us for not towing the line... :twisted:

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

I was about to make this thread. Because I'm a bitch like that.

I would not go all grammar Nazi in something as informal as a message board, but this expression comes up all the time in fundie-watching. Some people are probably not even aware of the spelling...I had to think it through a bit before the expression really made sense.

Spelling and grammar do count a fair amount if you're on a public forum and want your message to be understood. I'm not a fanatic about it, but it does bug me when someone posts something that doesn't even make sense because they've left out words or misspelled them to the point of being unrecognizable. It doesn't take that long for a person to re-read their post and right click on the words with squiggly red lines.

I do realize that language is a dynamic thing and that what looks like slang now has a good chance of being accepted language someday. But for the love-a-dog, PLEASE don't pluralize with the apostrophe S! ;)

I got an email the other day where somebody mentioned a person "toting the party line." As though they'd shoved the line in a kicky little purse and were going to tote it off. I admit, I laughed. The Green Party Line is toted in a backpack, right next to the organic trail mix.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

I was about to make this thread.

quote]

Ditto. ;)

I always thought it was "toe the line" but when I beta read a story for someone, I had to look it up.

Another one is "waiting on tenterhooks". I was wrong on that one. I thought it was "tenderhooks". There was another one, too, but I can't remember what it is right now.

It's rather interesting actually.

It's TOE the line, not tow the line (unless you have a car or boat behind you that you're planning to move somewhere).

Origins are in dispute, but not the actual phrase (and its correct spelling).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toe_the_line

I keep seeing "tow the line" in people's responses, and as a writer/editor, I. Can't. Stand. It. Any. Longer.

Yes, I have a touch of OCD, thanks for asking! :D

You may now resume your regular snarking...

Thank you! This is a pet peeve of mine as well. :)

ETA: However, this isn't the most annoying grammar flub to me. The grammar mistake that annoys me the most is when people confuse "their," "they're" and "there."

Gotta side with the grammar Nazi's on this one. "Tow the line" implies that you are pulling the line. "Toe the line" means that you have your toe, hence your foot, and since you are probably standing up, your whole body, is " on the line" The expression means to obey, to do what you are expected to do, so " tow" makes no sense at all.

Some mistakes happen and some are just grammar fail. I saw a fundie blog that used 'Grandite' for granted. Now, that is not a typo, that is a lack of working knowledge of the English language. And then I was horrified because she probs says it that way.

also, "taken for granite", "intensive purposes", and "irregardless"

again, i give a big ole casual-type pass for forums and chatrooms, but if you're actually writing to publish out on a blog, do it right!

Spelling and grammar do count a fair amount if you're on a public forum and want your message to be understood.

Yes. Despite being a careful writer -- or thinking of myself as one, at least! -- I don't mind writing mistakes unless they force me to read a post multiple times to understand it. I admit to placing a couple people on ignore to avoid the frustration of having to decipher their posts.

Also, since nobody mentioned it yet, I find bloated writing far more irritating than writing mistakes.

I just do not want this board to become like others I have been on where the grammar nitpickers rule. That happens on all sorts of forums and is unpleasant for everyone except those who have appointed themselves the grammar hand-slappers.

We have a Grammar topic in "chatter", actually, so I'm not complaining that it's being discussed. I was trying to convey that I hope we do not start a new thread every time someone wants to air a grammar or spelling grievance (no offense to the OP, I'm just talking generally here). Also, in the middle of a discussion thread, hand-slapping posts to correct the grammar/spelling of other people are not necessary and frankly, pretty rude, even if the it's-its-it is thing really, really bothers you. We are all adults here and this is not 5th grade language arts class.

Yes, people should spell things correctly (spell check is a start) and re-read to make sure that their post says what they intended. But everybody makes mistakes, too.

Archived