IGNORED

Closeted Atheists

FlorenceHamilton

I was reading the thread on extremism and some of the discussion got me thinking about how many people are atheists. One poster mentioned that this is a very small minority of people. My guess is that the population of "out" atheists is pretty small. I truly wonder though, whether closeted atheists are not a much larger group, if not a mojority. If you include agnostics, my guess is that nearly everyone could be included because even the most devout have doubt. The truth is that the biblical diety is just as absurd as anybody else's. I would argue that the god of the bible fulfills the same human expectations of a deity in very similar ways as all other deities.

I am wondering if others here supect that there are way more people who seriously doubt the existance of the god of the bible than who openly admit such a thing.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty much atheist, and I think there are lots of atheists out there - it's just not a cause or reason to congregate for many people. I don't need to say I'm an atheist to my parents (they don't go to church, not sure they believe anything anymore), and it doesn't pop up in regular conversation. I'm not saying boo to my 82 y/o Ukrainian Catholic MIL, but hubby doesn't care about religion, so, well, that's it. Atheism or agnotstism isn't exactly an activist group IMO

I know at least two pastors, probably 3 or 4, who are closeted atheists. I can't imagine devoting my career to a deity I now no longer believe exists though, so I understand why they remain "in the closet."

I consider a number of my close friends and family members closeted atheists; we will sit around and have discussions ridiculing people who believe in a deity (ridiculing might be a bit harsh but my brain is too tired to come up with a better word), but then balk if you suggest the are an atheist. Same with some closeted feminists I know. I think a lot of people just don't want to be labeled, but I think it is also due in large part to American culture. I also think that the type of person who puts in the time and critical thinking to determine they don't believe in a deity is also the type who is smart enough to know that they should never say never, so to speak, so they identify much more with agnosticism.

I'm pretty much atheist, and I think there are lots of atheists out there - it's just not a cause or reason to congregate for many people. I don't need to say I'm an atheist to my parents (they don't go to church, not sure they believe anything anymore), and it doesn't pop up in regular conversation. I'm not saying boo to my 82 y/o Ukrainian Catholic MIL, but hubby doesn't care about religion, so, well, that's it. Atheism or agnotstism isn't exactly an activist group IMO

Yeah, also this... many people who just don't care about religion one way or another are not about to take the time to identify themselves as what they aren't. I identify as an atheist b/c I grew up in a crazy religious background, but if you grew up without belief, why would you identify yourself in opposition to something that's not on your radar? Like, I'm not not a scientist, I AM a lawyer. If that makes any sense...

I looked at the subject line and thought it said closeted athletes, and I thought what hell, why would an athlete be closeted.

The majority of my family and friends do not belong to a church, or attend church. Only a few proclaim to be atheists. Most are just not that interested, one way or another. I have 1 son who says he is an atheist. And a friend of mine, who is a non church goer married to a Muslim, has a 17 y.o. son who says he's an atheist.

I suspect you are right that the number is much larger than it seems because most people just don't talk about it.

I'll have to add that I never thought of myself as a closeted anything. Being agnositc or atheist is simply that. I don't know (although I suspect nothing), isn't scandalous.

I'll have to add that I never thought of myself as a closeted anything. Being agnositc or atheist is simply that. I don't know (although I suspect nothing), isn't scandalous.

But the ministers/pastors that atheistjd mentioned are probably best off closeted. I wonder why they'd continue to minister but I suppose that education and set of skills doesn't get many jobs outside of ministry.

I don't think that very many people are closeted atheists, but there's a significant number of people that don't label themselves accordingly. I did a lot of atheist outreach in high school and college, you get very different answers when you ask people if they believe in a deity than if you ask what religion they are.

When my college atheist group did an informal survey it was around 35% of people that affiliated themselves with a religion didn't believe in god. They claimed whatever religion that their family affiliated with even if they weren't raised with any sort of observance. When affiliation with a culture/ethnicity is dependent on religion that skews what people will label themselves as. A good chunk of that 35% were atheist Jews and a couple of girls that I talked to were African and their religion denoted where they came from .

I don't think that very many people are closeted atheists, but there's a significant number of people that don't label themselves accordingly. I did a lot of atheist outreach in high school and college, you get very different answers when you ask people if they believe in a deity than if you ask what religion they are.

When my college atheist group did an informal survey it was around 35% of people that affiliated themselves with a religion didn't believe in god. They claimed whatever religion that their family affiliated with even if they weren't raised with any sort of observance. When affiliation with a culture/ethnicity is dependent on religion that skews what people will label themselves as. A good chunk of that 35% were atheist Jews and a couple of girls that I talked to were African and their religion denoted where they came from .

One of my very close friends is Jewish and doesn't believe in G-d. She doesn't tell everyone about it, but if someone asks she tells them. :) I don't think its a big deal.

I've always thought that most rational people are at least closet agnostics (including myself, who identifies as Christian). There's no way you can be an intelligent human being and think you know with any degree of certainty what's "out there".

One of my very close friends is Jewish and doesn't believe in G-d. She doesn't tell everyone about it, but if someone asks she tells them. :) I don't think its a big deal.

I've seen people all over the internet spell God with a dash in place of the O. Would it be rude of me to ask why?

I identify as atheist but I think apatheist is more accurate. I don't really care if there is or is not a deity.

I've seen people all over the internet spell God with a dash in place of the O. Would it be rude of me to ask why?

It's a Jewish thing. Every time I try to explain it, I end up rambling like an idiot, so I'll just point you to a link: http://www.jewfaq.org/name.htm

Judaism does not prohibit writing the Name of God per se; it prohibits only erasing or defacing a Name of God. However, observant Jews avoid writing any Name of God casually because of the risk that the written Name might later be defaced, obliterated or destroyed accidentally or by one who does not know better.

The commandment not to erase or deface the name of God comes from Deut. 12:3. In that passage, the people are commanded that when they take over the promised land, they should destroy all things related to the idolatrous religions of that region, and should utterly destroy the names of the local deities. Immediately afterwards, we are commanded not to do the same to our God. From this, the rabbis inferred that we are commanded not to destroy any holy thing, and not to erase or deface a Name of God.

I see. Thank you for taking the time to explain it.

She got to it before I could. :)

Its a habit with me typing wise. I know logically, that the likelyhood of someone printing this out and then destroying it is SLIM, but its seriously like a typing reflex at this point. :)

I encountered some closeted atheists on a chat room a few years back. Some of these people were raised in Christian homes and a few were living in the Bible Belt.

Here is a link to a story about atheist pastors

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/atheist-minist ... 3U1VY7EM7A

In the first PostSecret book, one of the secrets was about a woman who is an atheist who is married to a minister and she pretends to believe in God.

Given the amount of discrimination atheists face and that visibility is a start to ending that discrimination it is a big deal.

Everyone should call themselves whatever they like but when a person doesn't believe in a deity and isn't practicing a religion why isn't he/she okay with saying so? Sometimes it is a simple as not thinking or caring about it, sometimes it's because "no affiliation/atheist/agnostic" isn't a choice on the list, and sometimes it is because of horrible attitudes people have toward those who don't believe.

My husband is a semi closeted Atheist. He is "out" everywhere but work. He has a great job, and honestly he's afraid of retaliation if they found out he was an Atheist. Based on what I've seen, I agree with him. The risk is just too great.

I am completely out. I just don't care enough to keep up a charade ya know?

Given the amount of discrimination atheists face and that visibility is a start to ending that discrimination it is a big deal.

Everyone should call themselves whatever they like but when a person doesn't believe in a deity and isn't practicing a religion why isn't he/she okay with saying so? Sometimes it is a simple as not thinking or caring about it, sometimes it's because "no affiliation/atheist/agnostic" isn't a choice on the list, and sometimes it is because of horrible attitudes people have toward those who don't believe.

Its not that she's hiding anything, she just doesn't talk about it much. I think its less of a calculated "i'm afraid" and more of a "meh why bother"

I'd say I'm semi-closeted in that I'm "out" to close friends and my immediate family, but not to my extended family and... most other people. Some of my hesitance is due to the subject not coming up with most people, some of it is due to fear. Where I'm from, it's not like you'll get shot at for being an atheist, but people will be weird around you, and it'll be your fault for making it awkward. It's just easier to sit down and shut up. :roll: I won't lie if someone asks me directly, but usually I feel out the other person's point of view first to make sure it's "safe."

ETA: Yes, I think if people are truly honest with themselves, the number of atheists/agnostics is WAY higher than normally reported. It's pretty obvious that many people just put down their family's religion or the religion they're "supposed" to put when asked, so unfortunately we're not getting accurate stats.

I'm an atheist and only a few people know I don't believe in God/Jesus. I have friends who won't be friends with people who don't believe in Jesus but they're friends with me. I'll continue to be a closet atheist because one of my friends who did know is very much a christian said she was okay and now 8 years later she is telling me to believe in Jesus and preaching to me, telling me God is punishing me by causing my health issues and at the same time that God is saving me from my health issues. I politely told her that No god wasnt punishing me/causing my issues since He's not real my health issues are caused by biology and my genetic makeup not God and my doctors and nurses are the heroes who basically saved me NOT God. And She's been a rampage trying to get me to believe in God since then.

My parents know I don't believe in GOd and they tell me I'm going to hell a lot. Lovely people.

I think topics like religion and politics should be off limits for the majority of people.

I find it strange that atheism seems to carry a stigma in the US. Only 2% of the UK population attend church and most people I know are agnostic.

I rarely ever talk about religion to anyone but my husband and very close friends. It is simple too much of a hot button topic and frankly I just don't want the bother of dealing with Christians who will either condemn me or try and convert me (this pertains to real life not FJ life). Does this mean I am in the closet?

I did not feel quite so uncomfortable being agnostic where I was born, but I am very quiet about it since I have moved south. It is really best to be Christian down here.

Archived