IGNORED

Terrible biblical baby name

genericJname

I knew a Ransom in high school. He was a football player and dated a cheerleader named Charity. Ransom and Charity. Yep.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My husband has a friend from elementary school whose family emigrated from Ethiopia. Like most Ethiopian immigrants to Israel, they chose new Hebrew names for their children. Many of them turned to the Bible for inspiration. And my husband's friend was re-named: "Iyov." Hebrew for "Job." Poor kid.

My first thought was the film The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. Jimmy Stewart's character is named Ransom Stoddard.

exObFY-sHQw

My first thought was the film The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. Jimmy Stewart's character is named Ransom Stoddard.

exObFY-sHQw

Damn Jimmy just can't do any wrong!

I have to say it is hard to see what some parents name their kids. We did chose an unusual name for my son, but headship, got final say since he was more in love with the name, then I was with any of my choices, and I got middle name. He does have a becoming common nickname though so not too crazy.He also has very common middle names he can use. Saying all that, I really hate when people outside a religion take names they have no idea of the meaning behind. My all time favorite is Kali, nothing says love like a destruction Goddess. I also like that Lilith is becoming more common, in a funny way.

@hapamama: why, does he have an unusual Japanese name or do you object to the mixing of English first names with other-language middle names? I thought that was a fairly common way to include both cultures (if you adopt from abroad or if the parents are from different places).

I'm curious about this too. I assume from your username that you or your children are hapa, as an I. My brother and I both have pretty normal "American" first names and Japanese middle names. It never seemed strange to me. It is just me.

I had a Ransom in one of my classes. I didn't realize it was from the Bible, I just thought his parents were idiots...like the parents of Rage, Fantasia, and Jealousy.

I'm sure the word slaughter is in the bible somewhere.

Ransom makes me think of Our Lady of Ransom, one of the Virgin Mary's titles in Catholicism. I quite like Dorcas because it makes me think of the awesome Dorcas Lane from Lark Rise To Candleford.

I do like quite unusual names - I love the Biblical name Hepzibah, for instance, but honestly my more unusual choices are reserved for cat names to spare my future children :D Hero (girls' name, as in Hero and Leander) and Hermione are also on the cat name list.

Dorcas Good was the name of a 5 year old accused witch in the Salem Witch Trials. She suffered health problems the rest of her life from being in jail. She also had the shortest trial at about 15 minutes, of mostly the accusers screaming the little girl was hurting them. I will always remember the name that way.

Some countries ban parents from giving their kids highly unusual first names because of how difficult it can make life (you'll not likely ever see a Judge Fluffycakes, as an example, because Fluffycakes Johnson wouldn't be taken seriously). Sometimes I wish this was done here.

I thought there have been times when a child's name has been taken to court in the U.S. I think there was a girl called Tallulah Does the Hula, for instance. And the parents who named their son Adolf Hitler. But yeah, nothing as consistent as the way other countries ban names, unfortunately. I'm all for freedom of expression and all, but sometimes it just borders on child cruelty.

I actually like the name Jezebel. Granted, I'd never name my kid that because of the negative connotations but I do think it sounds pretty.
It is pretty, but if you're a nominally practicing Catholic and you send your kid to a Catholic school, maybe you should research it a bit. ;)

Its not a name. Its more of a concept related to "payment" to atone for sin. Jesus paid for everyone's sin by dying in order to set people free. They shared this bible verse with the announcement:

"The ransomed of the LORD will return. They will enter Zion with singing; everlasting joy will crown their heads. Gladness and joy will overtake them, and sorrow and sighing will flee away. Isaiah 51:11"

Yes, this is from years before Jesus ever existed, but Christians like to hijack everything in the old testament.

Thanks. So the kid is a payment to atone for sin. Poor thing.

I know someone who named his son Ransom, but it was a reference to the C.S. Lewis space trilogy, where the main character is a professor (if I remember right) with the surname Ransom. Honestly, because of the last book in the trilogy, I really loved that character and would totally understand it if a lit nerd wanted to name their child Ransom. Just not for their FIRST name.

My dad knew a Crotchford. That was the guy's first name. Apparently Crotchford loved his name, so I'm glad he had a good sense of humor and all, but, just, WTF??

Saying all that, I really hate when people outside a religion take names they have no idea of the meaning behind. My all time favorite is Kali, nothing says love like a destruction Goddess. I also like that Lilith is becoming more common, in a funny way.

Some people know the meaning/connotation, but ignore it if they don't believe in that religion because they don't think it has any bearing on it. I don't know that I'd go that far because I think names, like other words, do carry meanings and some things may not be the best idea to attach to a child. For instance, I love the name Morrigan, but would not name a child that because it would be pretty similar to your example of naming them Kali.

Tristan (also Tristam and Tristram) means sorrow, but it's still very popular. A lot of people just ignore the meaning.

My nephew and his wife plan to name their first child Zayid. They say it's a Biblical name. IMO, if they want a Biblical name beginning with Z, Zachary would be a nice choice... I wish they'd thought their choice through better.

I was trying to get my husband to name our girl child Zaida. (zay-da).. My sister found it in the family tree back in the 30's and i thought it was cool/prettty.

Ransom Riggs went by Randy through his youth, I think. (John Green talked about him in a recent vlog)

I thought Randy was a relatively common American name- what is it usually a nickname of?

Also Randolf

My husband and I joked that we were going to name LittleBabyNothing Nebuchadnezzar. Aloysius Theodosius was also another name we jokingly tossed around. I'll have to remember that in case he doesn't like the name we have ultimately pick out for him - "Hey, it's not that bad - you could have been Aloysius Theodosius!"

Another famous Ransom was Ransom E. Olds, the founder of Oldsmobile. I actually kind of like the sound of the name. I like unusual names though.

Not fundie, but I have an aunt in her 70s named....

Vernerties

I have looked it up on the internet and can't find anything about it. Oddest name I've ever heard.

We call her Aunt Petey :)

I knew a Ransom in college and he pulled it off. He was HOT.... but I always thought Ransom was a better name for a horse, and I managed not to ever say such when I was intoxicated.

He also has a very common, plain last name which I think offsets an unusual name.

Another friend who has a common last name named her son Crew. It actually fit him.

We really really want to name a little boy Mortimer. I asked on a couple forums what they thought of it. I was destroyed. Totally hated. The husband still wants to use it, but now I don't know.

It could just be that the Japanese first name starts with some syllable that makes a weird word pairing up after "...miah"? Dunno.

I don't know if I'd name my kid Ryu/Ryo or names starting with that, they're VERY common and awesome but most English speakers can't say them right.

Archived