IGNORED

Terrible biblical baby name

genericJname

I just saw on FB that my cousin's wife had her ultrasound and so they announced the male baby's name....

Ransom. :shock:

Apparently its a reference to Isaiah 51, but I think I will always think "kidnapping" when I hear about this kid.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually clicked this thread expecting the kid's name to be "Nimrod."

Why not just name him Isaiah? Perfectly fine name IMO.

What a way to announce that you don't really want to have a kid. (And wouldn't "Ransom" be more unisex?)

What a way to announce that you don't really want to have a kid. (And wouldn't "Ransom" be more unisex?)

Its funny because their daughter has a very common, non-biblical (as far as I know) gender-specific girl name.

My mom had a cousin named Ransom, and yes, our side of the family has often commented about what an odd name it is. I'd never heard of another person named Ransom before. Do people ever think of what their kid will be called on the playground? Or maybe it doesn't matter, and they are going to homeskool by default?

Of course there's always good ol' "Knox Defender." That one still cracks me up. And people snark on Hollywood starlets for naming their kids weird stuff!

I myself have a foreign name so I shouldn't snark too hard I guess either - I can definitely attest that there are lots of names which are 100% perfectly normal, common, and FINE in one country that just... make junior high school difficult in another. There's a reason some kids stick to nicknames! :D

LOL. "Ransom" was my grandfather's name. Of course, he was born in Arkansas in about 1908... And yes, we always talked about WTF kinda name was that!

There are enough weird actual names in the Bible. Why did they have to resort to picking out random words? If I encountered a kid named Ransom, I wound't think it was a Bible reference--I'd wonder if the boy's parents were race car drivers, or if they wanted to name their kid something that sounded cool and daring but "Everest" and "Orion" were already taken.

This poor girl named Dorcus who went to my school was only allowed to talk to a few other girls who wore skirts and went to her church...she was nice when we had to talk in class.

A lot of Biblical and Biblical era names are really bad.

To think my husband vetoed Ephraim which I loved.

I had a good friend in high school named Dorcus. She didn't get teased too much. This was in the '70s.

Ok, for weird biblical names, you can't top "Maher Shalah Hash Baz." This means "hurry to spoil!" or "speed to plunder!" and is the name Isaiah was told to give one of his sons in Isaiah 8.

Then there was poor Lo-Ammi, son of the prophet Hosea, who got this symbolic name (means "Not My People") because his father was told to go out and marry a prostitute.

Yikes.

My great aunt's name was Dorcas. I never understood why anyone would choose Dorcas instead of Tabitha, which she was sometimes called. I get why someone religious would want to name their kid after her, I just don't get choosing Dorcas over Tabitha.

I don't think Ransom is that bad.

Yo allof those who knew Dorcus's I have a theroy

Maybe they named their daughters Dorcus on purpose to keep her isolated from the 'world' and make them think the world outside their church was a cruel place

The worst name (in my opinion) is Amnon.

Made worse by the fact there is a show coming out Legend of Korra

Where the main villian is named Amon.

Made worse by the fact there is a show coming out Legend of Korra

Where the main villian is named Amon.

Believe it or not, there's a kosher pizza parlor in New York called "Amnon's". Why anyone would want to give a son the name of an incestuous rapist is beyond me.

Some countries ban parents from giving their kids highly unusual first names because of how difficult it can make life (you'll not likely ever see a Judge Fluffycakes, as an example, because Fluffycakes Johnson wouldn't be taken seriously). Sometimes I wish this was done here.

Archived