IGNORED

Terrible biblical baby name

genericJname

I know a Malcolm (English not Scottish) who is about 55, and an Eamon who is 52.

What about Maher-shalal-hash-baz? Isaiah's second son. Now there's an awesome Biblical name just right for the budding dominionist, as it means 'He has made haste to the plunder'

OK, any takers out there in fundie-land?

Ephraim?

Hm:

Ephraim is the strength of my head; Judah is my lawgiver.

Moab is my wash-pot; over Edom will I cast out my shoe;

I remember poor old Hosea with Lo-ammi and Lo-ruhamah. That guy was about six sandwiches short of a picnic, poor man.

It's odd that since Elizabeth was always so popular that Josabet(h) never caught on in the English speaking countries. (There are plenty of Hispanics who use it.) She was the guardian of Joas, and quarrelled with the evil queen Athaliah about his education.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JFC, I did not think they were weird when I gave them to my sons, just unusual and British-sounding. Eamon is almost always pronounced EE-mun (or Ay-ah-moan by Latinos) and I spend a lot of time saying, "It's really a name! No, not an old one, it is very common in some places!" Malcolm gets his name spelled Malcom all the time, his teacher last year could not master it. When we were purchasing soccer jerseys, I made a big deal about how it is Malcolm with 2 L's, and the jersey arrived with Mallcom on the back. :lol:

Eamonn's my brother's middle name.

My father wanted to name his first son Eamonn Atticus, but my mother changed it in the hospital behind his back and then confessed to him and cried on the way home. So now my two brothers are Biblename Eamonn and Biblename Atticus.

My son was named Eamon because I thought Atticus, my husband's top choice, was too much.

Great minds think alike?

@hapamama: why, does he have an unusual Japanese name or do you object to the mixing of English first names with other-language middle names? I thought that was a fairly common way to include both cultures (if you adopt from abroad or if the parents are from different places).

His Japanese name is fairly common (shares it with my oldest son even), but when you combine his first, middle and last together the combination is a little strange. It's a lot of syllables and the names don't particularly flow well together....

I don't object to the mixing of English first names, other language middle names. My kids all have that combination (I'm hapa, but hubby is full blooded Japanese). We tried really hard to pick names for our kids that wouldn't be hard for English speakers to pronounce since our surname seems to stump English speakers.

I tend to be a little sensitive to getting teased about names though... my maiden name is one that left me wide open for being teased as a kid, and my middle name is difficult for many people to pronounce.

His Japanese name is fairly common (shares it with my oldest son even), but when you combine his first, middle and last together the combination is a little strange. It's a lot of syllables and the names don't particularly flow well together....

I don't object to the mixing of English first names, other language middle names. My kids all have that combination (I'm hapa, but hubby is full blooded Japanese). We tried really hard to pick names for our kids that wouldn't be hard for English speakers to pronounce since our surname seems to stump English speakers.

I tend to be a little sensitive to getting teased about names though... my maiden name is one that left me wide open for being teased as a kid, and my middle name is difficult for many people to pronounce.

I hear that. I have impossible European first and last names, so I was glad that my husband's last name is short, simple, and shared by a quarter (or more) of his countrymen. Then our kids both have simple English first names and husband picked their middle names from his own culture (he suggested several and I made the final approval).

I think you could even translate it as Bastard. Great name.

However, I will see you Lo-Ammi, and raise you another of Hosea's children, Lo-Ruhamah. It means Unloved. Yes, he called his daughter Unloved. Because God told him to.

Heh. I'll see that and raise you Ben-Ammi, the son born to Lot's younger daughter after she slept with her father. The name means "son of my people" -- a euphemism for "my family tree doesn't branch."

(Biblical names are fun!)

I have a love for names that are a bit different..... My guilty pleasure name list includes Giddeon, Jericho, Atticus, and Matthias...... My children will probably hate me lol

Made worse by the fact there is a show coming out Legend of Korra

Where the main villian is named Amon.

Brandon Flowers' first son is name Ammon. It's not after Ammon in the Bible but the one in the Book of Mormon.

His other two sons are Gunnar and Henry.

Speaking of hard-to-live-up-to names, I know three couples who have recently each had boys and named them Fritz Solomon, Atticus Augustine, and Lazarus Maximus.

Archived